Author Topic: (Answered) Woods and Smoke  (Read 2194 times)

ironnerd88

• Private
(Answered) Woods and Smoke
« on: 13 July 2019, 08:01:14 »
Looking for some clarification on Woods and Smoke. It came up in another thread, but really belongs here (IMHO).
In Alpha Strike pg 170 it states that if the LoS passed through Woods, the attacker incurs a +2 modifier to hit for each two inches of woods (which is equivalent to a hex on a map sheet). Is this per 2" of woods or per 2" or fraction thereof of woods?

Full 2" is supported by the fact that 6" (equivalent to three hexes) blocks LoS. Were it 2" or fraction thereof, LoS would be blocked at >4" of trees. It also makes a difference in game play when smaller clumps of trees are involved. If LoS passes through two 1" segments of trees, the Full 2" interpretation would impose a +2 modifier to the to-hit roll, while the "...or fraction thereof" rule would impose two +2 modifiers to the to-hit roll.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2019, 08:27:09 by nckestrel »
"Wow... First shot of the game, you took out the Diashi's gyros. Well, that didn't just destroy the whole scenario..." - Me, to one of my players we all called "Snake-Eyes".

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Woods and Smoke
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2019, 08:26:58 »
Per full 2" or fraction thereof. 2" of Woods would be a +1. 3" of Woods would be a +2.

LoS is blocked at 6" of intervening Woods. That's a separate rule and stands on its own.  (For example, the attack modifier for Woods includes occupied Woods, but LoS is only blocked by intervening).

Two 1" segments of Woods is still 2" and it's +1 per 2".    There's nothing about whether or not they are segmented, it's just the amount of Woods intervening or occupied. 

1" of Light Smoke would be a +1.  This is a good example of why it has to per fraction thereof.  Smoke artillery rounds are applied in 2" (diameter) area of effect.  Any line going through Smoke is going to be less than 2" unless it goes directly across the center point of the Smoke.  You can't just effectively ignore Smoke because you only crossed 1.75" of it and not the full 2".
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

ironnerd88

• Private
Re: (Answered) Woods and Smoke
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2019, 09:18:10 »
That makes sense.

Thank-you.
"Wow... First shot of the game, you took out the Diashi's gyros. Well, that didn't just destroy the whole scenario..." - Me, to one of my players we all called "Snake-Eyes".

Register