Author Topic: Why are you fan of a given faction?  (Read 9095 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Why are you fan of a given faction?
« on: 13 February 2019, 10:53:01 »
Do you have a favourite faction in BattleTech universe? Why is it your favourite?

For me it is Lyran Commonwealth in/around 3025. Reason is simple enough: best 'Mechs and vehicles in Inner Sphere at that time. And in active use instead of sitting around in warehouses like Com Guard's hardware which dates back to the Star League. Lyran Commonwealth is the first Successor State showing signs of recovery with construction of new factories, new BattleMech designs (Hatchetman, Wolfhound), and new fusion powered vehicles (Savannah Master, Hunter, Drillson, Patton, Rommel).

'Mech selection is no less impressive: Dracs and FedRats think they're more maneuverable with Panther, Valkyrie, and Enforcer, but we Lyrans have Commando, Wolfhound, Firestarter, Phoenix Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, and Wolverine. Yeah, many of those are available for everyone else, but on average light-medium 'Mechs of LCAF tend to be faster than what others have. And while others bring to the table Panthers, Enforcers, and Hunchbacks, we Lyrans counter them with Warhammers, Archers, Thunderbolts, and Zeus. Do you see the difference here? We may be short on Locusts for dedicated recon purposes, but we have Savannah Master, J. Edgars, and Warrior H-7. If you scoff at them, I'll load my Warriors with armour piercing shells and then we'll see who has the last laugh >:D

So why do you favour Lyran Commonwealth? Or any other faction?
« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 11:07:30 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Why are you fan of a given faction?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2019, 11:00:21 »
I have a deep affinity for active, raging dumpster fires. Also when my friend drafted me into his Multi Player BattleTech unit back in the Kesmai Gamestorm days, it was the 1st Free Worlds Guard. Call it an accident of association that stuck.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2019, 11:21:13 »
I have a deep affinity for active, raging dumpster fires. Also when my friend drafted me into his Multi Player BattleTech unit back in the Kesmai Gamestorm days, it was the 1st Free Worlds Guard. Call it an accident of association that stuck.

Friends have definitely been a major change in factions for me.  Originally FedSuns because they had the best Warhammer (6D) and faction emblem. Tau Ceti Rangers (so have to have some sort of vague Liao sympathy) because of MUSE 3056. Duchy of Oriente (go purple, even if you actually wear green) because of Invasion 3056.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2019, 11:26:12 »
I was drawn to the Capellan Confederation initially for bragging rights.  The person who introduced me to the game described the factions, concluding with "And here's the Capellan Confederation - they always lose."  I figured if I could beat him with the Capellans, that would crush his spirit even more.

As time went on, I found that they were the only faction that still remained interesting during the "Pax FedCom" era.  The Dracs, Lyrans, Davvies and Free Worlders were all holding hands and singing kumbaya in the face of the Clan threat, while only the Capellans were still free to go on spittle emitting rants about the depths of hatred and their desire for bloody retribution on their enemies.  (Anyone familiar with "The Venture Bros." can see that The Monarch would be a perfect Capellan.)  In a wargame setting, they were the only ones who still seemed to want war, and to feel real passion about it.

#800YearsofHatred
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2019, 11:30:49 »
In a wargame setting, they were the only ones who still seemed to want war, and to feel real passion about it.
Wait, wut? Did all the Clans got tired of the war too? ???
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2019, 11:33:26 »
Wait, wut? Did all the Clans got tired of the war too? ???

The Clans liked the ritualized warfare, but there wasn't the passion there that I felt from the Capellans.  There wasn't the hatred or desire for vengeance that the Capellans possessed - just a desire to die gloriously and get a spot in the breeding program.  Plus, the Treaty of Tukayyid prevented anything more serious than border raids, for the most part, for the bulk of the "Pax FedCom" (the Refusal War notwithstanding).
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2019, 11:40:16 »
When I got into the game it looked like if anyone was going to be able knock the smug, entitled grins of the Davions' faces it was going to be the Mechwarriors of House Kurita.

The 4th SW almost made me Rage Quit Battletech. How unaware I was how much more disappointment there was to come...

Still, I had my honor-obsessed faction that had "better than yours" Mechwarriors at the cost of "crappier than yours" conventional forces. As an added bonus, they were the only faction that was both willing and able (sorry, Liao) to be the unashamed aggressors in a setting purpose built to showcase giant robot warfare.

Then the ****** Clans came.  Everything "cool" about the Clans is by right of primacy a Kurita theme.  Every Clan fan out there should have been a Dracophile, and what's REALLY aggravating is when they don't even know it.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 11:42:43 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2019, 11:42:15 »
When I was little I loved the centurion dearly. So FedSuns.

Now as I’m older, all I want to do is cause the most absurd shenanigans possible.  I also have no desire to play with assault mechs. So Capellans for me now.

Does my raven need it’s ECM set to ghost targets, an SRM launcher full of smoke missiles, and a NARC with bola pods? I mean, it doesn’t strictly HAVE to. I just like it that way

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2019, 12:06:36 »
When I was little I loved the centurion dearly. So FedSuns.

Now as I’m older, all I want to do is cause the most absurd shenanigans possible.  I also have no desire to play with assault mechs. So Capellans for me now.

Does my raven need it’s ECM set to ghost targets, an SRM launcher full of smoke missiles, and a NARC with bola pods? I mean, it doesn’t strictly HAVE to. I just like it that way

We in the Forum Shenanigans Guild generally do not endorse Capellan Fandom, but your enthusiasm gains you a dispensation  :))

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2019, 12:21:55 »
Duchy of Andurien.
Because they are cool in a power that is not. And I like underdogs.
It would be capella, but their social structure is somehting I dislike. yeah, I am not a fan of monarcy either, but I can relate more to that I guess.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2019, 12:25:13 »
I'm all about the Capellans and Trinity Alliance as well (The TPTB really hate the Concordat though, that could have gone much better).  The FedRats and their Lyran pawns claim they are "liberating" Liao worlds but they do so against their will.  Then they go and screw it up and get bitten for their overreach while Sun-Tzu sits pretty on Sian, ends up with a Canopian Princess and then ascends to godhood.  Its truly marvelous, go Green.

FEDCOM betrayed my beloved Katherine and made her a Wolf, Alaric forever!  I much preferred how things were going when she was in charge (the FEDCOM being weak, decadent, and at war with itself).  What it really needs is another Warrior Cabal uprising.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2019, 12:29:51 »
Short answer?  Not a damn one of them.  I went merc right away, and even then, a unit of my own making.

Long answer?
Even though I was fascinated with certain ones, once I got into reading the source books, I realized two things:

I, myself, am Terran.

Non of the factions are really Good Guys.  They aren't savior of humanity material.

So, when choosing my initial faction to throw a character into, even if on my own, I wanted to be able to interact with each faction in an equally adversarial or friendly basis for a match set-up.  I realized mercs could do that.  Pirates can, too, though usually it's pure adversarial.

Yes, I was thinking of character story from very early, early on in my BattleTech playing, especially once I started gaining access to the lore.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2019, 12:33:52 »
We in the Forum Shenanigans Guild generally do not endorse Capellan Fandom, but your enthusiasm gains you a dispensation  :))

Hey. If there is a better faction for shenanigans, I’m all ears

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2019, 12:40:24 »
the truth is that we're mostly mariks and jealous of your options

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2019, 12:51:54 »
Does the Explorer Corps count as its own faction?

I always really liked the idea of an entity that was just there to poke around empty planets and find cool stuff. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2019, 13:02:28 »

I always really liked the idea of an entity that was just there to poke around empty planets and find cool stuff.
Ooh, good one! "To boldly go where no one has gone before!" In what source material Explorer Corps appears at? Any novels?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2019, 13:03:38 »
Cappies are cool pre-Jihad for being the underdog. Not a big fan of them post-Jihad though, they've lost the underdog status, plus not a fan of Sun-Tzu's son not being a reformer like his father.
Their 'Mechs are good reason on nearly all eras though. In the Age of War, they created the Thunderbolt (ok, Earthwerks did and they're interstellar company BUT they did do it in the CapCon territory), their 31st century output is cool and innovative, and they got some nice toys during the Dark Age.

The FedSuns is another favorite, on the account of them often trying to be the good guys, though looking through their history, that hasn't gone so well often. For once, they could try something else than "let's beat the crap out of them", in a sense they're amusingly similar to the Clans.
Of course, the real reason is that many, many of my favorite 'Mechs are common in their hands, like the JagerMech. Not a fan of how they got some powerful toys from the Star League era though (such as the Thunder Hawk, Devastator or Nightstar).

I like the Free Worlds League in that they're actually nominally a democracy. Pity they couldn't curb the Captain-General's power. Not a fan of the resurrected FWL, doesn't feel the same anymore.
Unfortunately, 'Mech-wise the FWL get the short end of the stick, both in stats and looks, so i can't say i play the FWL... At least they got the coolest general purpose battle armor in the Inner Sphere in form of the Longinus.

The Republic of the Sphere is also pretty fun, in that they combine being the good guys with supertech taken from the WoB. Kinda interesting combination. However, since their demise at least to an extent is so inevitable, i never formed a real a connection to them. I don't mind my favorite factions losing or even getting destroyed completely, but the ROTS feels at times like it is made to be thrown away, though the few 3250 bits we've seen indicate something of them may survive.

Of the Clans, i like the Jade Falcons for their hidebound yet successful methods. Unfortunately, this has taken backseat to utter insanity during the Dark Age, and cool 'Mechs are barely a compensation for that.
Honestly nominating them for annihilation at this point.

Wasn't originally a fan of the Wolves but warmed up to them, especially during the Dark Age since it seems they've managed a reasonable balance between liberal attitude ("let's form an empire but not kill everyone" and 'Mechs like the Wulfen), and taking the seat of Crusader-minded top-Clan the Jade Falcons held previously. (Never took the Warden attitude quite seriously. It is like "look, we're good guys but we are beating the crap out of you first, no offense". OK, they didn't quite intend to do that but that's were they ended up.)

Finally, i like the Word of Blake for being so mustache-twirling villains.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2019, 13:04:47 »
I'd second this.  Nominally Comstar, as to me, they felt like the peacekeepers of the universe when I first got introduced to the game as whole through CH:Inception and Mechwarrior.  Even up to 3050, when they lead the fight against the Clans.  Then the split. 

After that, Steiner because of the Crescent Hawks up to the civil war, then Kurita because of the Japanese fascination of college anime.  That cooled off after Omi died.

Now, its the Wolverines. Always liked them, and the recent releases cemented that interest.

« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 13:08:48 by Luciora »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2019, 13:06:16 »
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Explorer_Corps_(sourcebook)

Ooh, good one! "To boldly go where no one has gone before!" In what source material Explorer Corps appears at? Any novels?

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2019, 13:07:44 »
In what source material Explorer Corps appears at? Any novels?

Primarily its own SB: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Explorer_Corps_(sourcebook)
Some info is also found in the ComStar SB and FM as well as ISP3:IE.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

mcjomar

• Corporal
  • Don't think, Mechwarrior, find out!
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2019, 13:33:55 »
Mechcommander Gold introduced me to the universe, so it was FedSuns for me (specifically, 1st DBoG in their blue and gold Port Arthur campaign scheme).
Then I read Wolves on the Border, and Far Country (best and worst, respectively), so I added a love of the Ryuken, and Wolf's Dragoons to the list (and Locusts).
Kell Hounds are on the list too due to novels.

Clans wise... I've dabbled and danced, but never really gotten into them. At most I'd keep a star or two of Wolves (invasion era) and Bears (pretty much any era). I enjoyed blowing up the Jags too much to ever really like the clans overly much.

In the 31xx era, my IS factions are the same. But I can't be bothered with clans. Well, maybe bears...
Courage and Honour!

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2019, 14:15:13 »
I first became really aware of the St. Ives Compact after getting a copy of the 2nd Edition Mechwarrior RPG book as part of an auction lot around the turn of the millennium. Thumbing through it, I was struck by the faction's insignia, right up there with the great houses, in terms of simplicity and legibility. In later years I became more familiar with the relatively elite St. Ives Armored Cavalry, which made the other regional forces of the 3020s Capellan Confederation seem flimsy by comparison (save for the utterly massive Chesterton Reserves, who made up for the lack of a Commonality by having an utterly massive army). Though St. Ives was little more than a buffer state, it was well on its way to becoming the buffer state of my heart.

I appreciated that, for its size, St. Ives punched above its weight, with an abundance of 'Mech regiments and factories relative to the number of systems.  It preceded and outlasted the Free Rasalhague Republic (Which became a ComStar client state soon after the clan invasion, and was later gently subsumed by the same clans). And when the Capellan invasion of the early 60's came, they put up a tenacious three year long brawl that forced Sun-Tsu to the bargaining table, where the newly re-integrated commonality was able to secure a place of relative prominence in the new order, including an out-sized voice in the military leadership of the CCAF.

The relatively practical paint schemes used by the St. Ives Lancers and the later St. Ives Sentinels also appealed, a pragmatic gray/green color with simple one-color trim for each regiment (in contrast to the flamboyant scheme used by the St. Ives Janissaries little more than an explosive blip in the otherwise drab green life of the St. Ives Compact/Commonality).

After their reunification with the Confederation, the forces of the St. Ives Commonality continue to perform well, and their factories have become downright expansive.  Plus, the commonality's independent streak means I can still slap the St. Ives insignia on later generation 'Mechs without feeling too awkward (of course, anything after 3063 also bears the sword-on-triangle Capellan insignia).

As long as the Commonality survives, St. Ives lives on.  Though I wouldn't begrudge a Second Compact.
Hayden

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2019, 14:32:05 »
The first book I ever owned for battletech was the FedSuns sourcebook and the original camoSpecs books.  My favorite color scheme in there was the Davion Brigade of Guards scheme.  Never looked back since then.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2019, 14:44:01 »
I really wish Free Tai....St Ives worked and took over.  I'm not looking for a proxy Fed-run faction, but one that has an Asian background that isn't run by a crazy and secret policed to maintain loyalty.

I first became really aware of the St. Ives Compact after getting a copy of the 2nd Edition Mechwarrior RPG book as part of an auction lot around the turn of the millennium. Thumbing through it, I was struck by the faction's insignia, right up there with the great houses, in terms of simplicity and legibility. In later years I became more familiar with the relatively elite St. Ives Armored Cavalry, which made the other regional forces of the 3020s Capellan Confederation seem flimsy by comparison (save for the utterly massive Chesterton Reserves, who made up for the lack of a Commonality by having an utterly massive army). Though St. Ives was little more than a buffer state, it was well on its way to becoming the buffer state of my heart.

I appreciated that, for its size, St. Ives punched above its weight, with an abundance of 'Mech regiments and factories relative to the number of systems.  It preceded and outlasted the Free Rasalhague Republic (Which became a ComStar client state soon after the clan invasion, and was later gently subsumed by the same clans). And when the Capellan invasion of the early 60's came, they put up a tenacious three year long brawl that forced Sun-Tsu to the bargaining table, where the newly re-integrated commonality was able to secure a place of relative prominence in the new order, including an out-sized voice in the military leadership of the CCAF.

The relatively practical paint schemes used by the St. Ives Lancers and the later St. Ives Sentinels also appealed, a pragmatic gray/green color with simple one-color trim for each regiment (in contrast to the flamboyant scheme used by the St. Ives Janissaries little more than an explosive blip in the otherwise drab green life of the St. Ives Compact/Commonality).

After their reunification with the Confederation, the forces of the St. Ives Commonality continue to perform well, and their factories have become downright expansive.  Plus, the commonality's independent streak means I can still slap the St. Ives insignia on later generation 'Mechs without feeling too awkward (of course, anything after 3063 also bears the sword-on-triangle Capellan insignia).

As long as the Commonality survives, St. Ives lives on.  Though I wouldn't begrudge a Second Compact.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #24 on: 13 February 2019, 15:03:51 »
draconic combine.

When I started, I was shoved the kuritan mechs like the dragon. Alright... then I saw the IS omnis and mechs like the no-dachi and fell in love.
Plus space ******. :)

On the clan side I like Jade Falcon, more specifically the Dark Age JF.  If you are going to be bad guys... be bad guys. :)  Mongol charge!
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2019, 15:26:25 »
I really wish Free Tai....St Ives worked and took over.  I'm not looking for a proxy Fed-run faction, but one that has an Asian background that isn't run by a crazy and secret policed to maintain loyalty.
Play white hat Dracs then, like me.

We hate the Friendly Persuaders and the Yaks and the Blue bloods who oppress us, but we're still loyal to the Coordinator and Drac culture. Consequently we end up in the marginal and floating units like the Ghosts, Legion of Vega, Night Stalkers, Amphigeans, etc. or even nominal mercs loyal to the Dragon.... Insofar as they're different from the aforesaid.

As for "why" or rather, "how".... Dracness was thrust upon me as a GM for the "good guys", and I created the conflicted good guy Drac to balance out the moustache-twirling villainy. It's kind of stuck ever since.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2019, 15:37:22 »
Consequently we end up in the marginal and floating units like the Ghosts, Legion of Vega, Night Stalkers, Amphigeans, etc. or even nominal mercs loyal to the Dragon.... Insofar as they're different from the aforesaid.

Coincidentally, my Kurita forces are represented by the Amphigean LAG and Night Stalkers (I try to keep a little of everything on hand, as far as the successor states go).
Hayden

Teulisch

• Private
« Reply #27 on: 13 February 2019, 16:33:26 »
I would say Lyran first, and Fedsun second. (maybe marik as a very late 3rd).

when i first started collecting the books and ral partha lead minis, the steiner-davion alliance was a new thing. mechwarrior 2nd ed was out, and there were 3025/3026 TRO. and their money was pretty much in line with c-bills at the time. my favorite mech back then was the marauder, but these days its the warhammer.

Steiner has a cool logo, and lots of big stompy mech fun.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: 13 February 2019, 17:00:27 »
MechWarrior 2 made me a fan of Clan Wolf. Lore, traditions, attitude, the clan was just presented so well in the early 90s.

Most of my IS characters are Lyran in origin. House Steiner doesn't hang identity as heavily on Neo-Feudalism tropes as the few other houses, interesting history, mechs and doesn't play the good guy/bad guy card often ether (though the number of cackling/stupid villeins during the FedCom Civil War was annoying)

Mercs have been my go to for awhile (Thank you MW2: Mercs) they have allot of freedom in the BTU narrative and lots of fun personalities.   
« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 23:31:51 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #29 on: 13 February 2019, 17:16:42 »
My favorite successor state is the Draconis Combine.  I've been a fan about TRO 3050 if not before.  Mostly because of their bizare mix of medieval Japanese culture and sci fi imagination. 

I'm a fan of all things Clan, but I especially like the Shark Foxes for their flexibility and role as merchant warriors plying the starlanes.  After that, I like the Snow Ravens for their willingness to combine forces with a periphery nation.  The beating they took leaving the Clan Home Worlds made what happened to any other Clan look like slap on the wrist.

« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 17:51:56 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert