Author Topic: Two periphery Scorpion variants  (Read 1089 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Two periphery Scorpion variants
« on: 22 September 2018, 00:00:06 »
First introduced by the settlers that would go on to found the nation of Parnassus, the Scorpion tank has been the standard heavy combat platform used by the warring states of Goldbluff for centuries. While often derided as "popcorn" or "militia trash" among the more affluent armies of the Inner Sphere, on Goldbluff it is a powerful, flexible weapon platform well suited to operate alongside and fight against the large formations of infantry that make up the bulk of Goldbluff's armies, and as a consequence, the world may actually be home to the single largest concentration of Scorpion tanks in known space.

Being the largest of the handful of military grade combat vehicles produced by the nations of Goldbluff, the Scorpion hull has been reused to produce a number of variant models to handle specialized jobs. Two of the most common are the Anti-Air and the Mortar Carrier. The AA variant requires the most changes, not only stripping off nearly half the armor, but dropping in a smaller powerplant, all to make room for twin 40mm flak cannons. These guns (and the associated fire control radar) are exceptionally well suited to engaging the conventional aircraft used by the various powers, and are also equipped to function in a secondary ground support role (though at reduced effectiveness). Thin armor makes an individual vehicle vulnerable to the very aircraft it's meant to defend against, so the vehicles always operate in close, mutually supporting batteries, and usually as part of a larger air defense network that will incorporate other batteries, fighter support, and towed anti-air guns.

The armies of Goldbluff lack any sort of mobile artillery. The only heavy artillery pieces in their arsenals are found in fixed fortifications and aboard large naval vessels, and none of Goldbluff's nations have successfully developed an effective artillery piece small enough to be adapted to a Scorpion hull.  As such, fire support during ground combat is provided by a mixture of close support aircraft and Mortar carriers. These vehicles were a much simpler conversion than the AA model, requiring simply changing out the weapons for a four barrel autoloading mortar. Though this weapon system doesn't have the reach to replace true artillery, the Mortar Carrier is still an effective close support system, especially when clearing out dug in formations of infantry or providing cover for an assault.

While these two examples are the most common, there are a number of other specialized Scorpion variants in service, such as minesweepers, bridgelayers, and recovery vehicles.

Scorpion Light Tank (AA)
Base Tech Level: Advanced (IS)
Level            Era   
-----------------------
Experimental      -   
Advanced      3025-3069
Standard        3070+ 
Tech Rating: E/X-F-F-E

Weight: 25 tons
BV: 224
Cost: 319,063 C-bills

Movement: 3/5 (Tracked)
Engine: 75 ICE

Internal: 15
Armor: 40
        Internal  Armor   
---------------------------
Front          3      8   
Right          3      8   
Left           3      8   
Rear           3      8   
Turret         3      8   

Weapons  Loc  Heat 
--------------------
AC/2      TU    1   
AC/2      TU    1   

Ammo            Loc  Shots 
----------------------------
Flak AC/2 Ammo   BD     45 

Additional Design Quirk: Anti-Air Targeting

Scorpion Light Tank (Mortar)
Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
Level            Era   
-----------------------
Experimental      -   
Advanced        3025+ 
Standard          -   
Extinct       3025-3043
Tech Rating: E/X-F(F*)-F-E

Weight: 25 tons
BV: 252
Cost: 303,333 C-bills

Movement: 4/6 (Tracked)
Engine: 100 ICE

Internal: 15
Armor: 64
        Internal  Armor   
Front          3     16   
Right          3     11   
Left           3     11   
Rear           3     10   
Turret         3     16   

Weapons         Loc  Heat 
'Mech Mortar 4   TU    5   

Ammo                          Loc  Shots 
------------------------------------------
Anti-personnel Mortar 4 Ammo   BD      6 
Anti-personnel Mortar 4 Ammo   BD      6 
Smoke Mortar 4 Ammo            BD      6 

And before anybody says "But actually, you can fit a thumper on a twenty five ton chassis," rest assured that I am aware. It's just a bad idea. :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

tomaddamz

• Master Sergeant
  • EVERYBODY NEEDS AN EVIL PLAN
Re: Two periphery Scorpion variants
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2018, 12:46:21 »
Have you considered as a Support chassis to go with 3 MMR-1s and get the extra ton of ammo using flare? ( so your basic loadout would look like 2t APERS, 1t Smoke and 1t Flare.)
Saying that because the equipment isn't up-to-the-minute, bleeding-edge tech therefore not a threat is like saying an M2 Browning isn't dangerous to modern infantry because it is 100 years old.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2018, 19:44:50 »
What about a Thumper Cannon?   ^-^

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2018, 02:35:41 »
Have you considered as a Support chassis to go with 3 MMR-1s and get the extra ton of ammo using flare? ( so your basic loadout would look like 2t APERS, 1t Smoke and 1t Flare.)

Originally I was going to go with four mortar-1s, but I went with the single 4 pack for extra ammo. Three 1s sounds like a good compromise between them.

What about a Thumper Cannon?   ^-^

Sorry, hacksaws are lostech on this planet, nothing to cut the barrel down with.  :P

(real reason is that I do that so often it's kinda cliche for me)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!