Author Topic: A quick question about CASE (II)  (Read 1618 times)

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
A quick question about CASE (II)
« on: 05 May 2017, 15:15:37 »
Does CASE or CASE II prevent the critical hits that result from ammo explosions from transferring?

The answer is probably "no," because it does not prevent normal crits from transferring, but just to be sure...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: A quick question about CASE (II)
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2017, 21:08:17 »
I'm not sure what you are asking?

You mean the Ammo Blows, destroying the torso, but the ammo triggered Crit Hits when it did & so now you roll 1 section inward?

I don't believe that is how it works.
You have to start the turn/phase w/o any crits locations to have them move inward.

So the ammo exploding is still in the same phase so while you DO get to roll them in case there is MORE ammo to blow up causing added pilot hits,  but,  if you end up w/ 4 Crits in a location that only started w/ 3 slots filled that turn, the 4th wont transfer, its just lost.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2017, 21:28:56 »
Let's say you have only an ammo bin in the side torso which is CASE-protected and ammo explosion won't even destroy the side torso. If the explosion generates a critical hit, will it transfer? The same question for the case when the ammo explosion destroys otherwise empty side torso and results into a critical hit.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2017, 21:32:51 »
agree with hellraiser. CASE or no CASE, additional crits beyond the number of possible critical hits in a location disappear when they happen in the same attack.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2017, 21:41:17 »
agree with hellraiser. CASE or no CASE, additional crits beyond the number of possible critical hits in a location disappear when they happen in the same attack.

I was talking about the critical hit generated by ammo explosion, not the critical hits generated by the attack that caused the ammo explosion.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2017, 21:59:58 »
Step 4 of the damage resolution process on pg 122 of total warfare

4. At the beginning of the current phase, did the location contain any components that could sustain a critical hit?

so even if the location sustains ten criticals from five different attackers, as long as there was one crit-able location, none will transfer.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2017, 22:04:41 »
OK, I got what I misunderstood. Thanks, everyone.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2017, 12:55:56 »
Thanks Sartis for the quote,  I was pretty sure it was Phase not Turn but that clarified it.

So CG, anything in the shooting phase is all in 1 phase.
Even falling down from a failed PSR from damage.

But, if you blew that ammo in the Fire phase & your at range 1 & were going to kick the target, you might consider Punching the target now instead, depending on its condition, since all Arm/Torso hits on that side will move to CT for stacking damage there.  Since that is the next phase it counts has being missing & having no crits etc etc.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo