Author Topic: (Answered) customization/repair/construction questions  (Read 2834 times)

FedComGirl

• Major
(Answered) customization/repair/construction questions
« on: 06 April 2011, 03:55:35 »
I'm sure I've seen this asked but would the creation of the Koto Battlemech from scrapped/demilitarized Locusts be a Class F refit as the Koto is 5 tons heavier than the Locust requiring a new internal structure and engine?

Is it possible to use sensors from one weight class on another? I asked this before and the answer was no because the sensors are tied into all of the mechs systems and components and they wouldn't work right on a different weight mech. I'm only asking because the Koto says is uses the same subsystems as the Locust and even though they've been refurbished and upgraded with custom improvements they still have failures. Is it because the sensors used by the 25 ton mech are made for a 20 tonner? If is, would be be possible to get rules for failure rates?

Is the Sensor Bypass and other bypasses from MaxTech still legal? If they are legal, how much are the bypass kits? The sensor bypass takes 1 critical slot. The other sensor slot is roll again. Can I mount equipment in that slot?

Is it possible to build mechs with only 1 sensor to free up weight and mass? Mechs can operate with just one sensor at a penalty. There are ways to compensate for that though and it would, at least free up a critical slot.

How about including extra sensors for redundancy? I would think it's possible since Mechs with Torso mounted cockpits have 3 sensors. How much would an extra sensor weight?

I know I asked before but I never really got an answer, how come equipment that had weight space and cost in MaxTech became a no cost no weight no space quirk? I do like how quirks can be combined, which better fit the fluff, but I do wonder how come there's no costs to them.

I forgot to ask,  would using headlights/spotlights cancel out the sensor bypasses inability to function in the dark?
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 00:36:19 by Xotl »

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: customization/repair/construction questions
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2011, 17:42:43 »
Greetings,

Class F refit.

No, you cannot use sensors from another class. The Koto has sensors for a 25 ton Mech. The fluff is that they were from the parts of the Locust and additional parts. No rules exist for hand building a piece of Mech technology.

Sensor Bypass is not valid Total Warfare equipment.

Sensors are fixed, you cannot put in less or more.

Best,
Joel BC
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

FedComGirl

• Major
Re: customization/repair/construction questions (Answered)
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2011, 02:56:47 »
Hi,

Cool!

Oh okay. That's cool.

Okay. I kinda thought that. When it was legal and used did that mean the other sensor slot was empty and other equipment could be mounted there?

Hmm? Okay. The Torso Cockpit having 3 sensors and the Light Cockpit having 1 made me wonder.

Thanks. :) Cheers!
Best,
Joel BC