Author Topic: Creative Use of Clan Organization, in a combined arms sphere.  (Read 2102 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
I've been toying around, recently with the notion of Binary/Trinary scale units, that mazimize their flexibility through creative use of the clan organizational doctrine.

For example, a Heavy Binary outfitted thusly

Star 1:
Warwolf
Timber Wolf
Timber Wolf
Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Star 2: Nova
R-10 Point / Elemental / Elemental
R-10 Point / Elemental / Elemental / Elemental
Carnivore HAG point
Demolisher ArrrowIV Point
Jagatai Point

Given that each R10 is an omni and can carry a squad internally, and a squad externally, and there are 4 vehicles across 2 points, you only need 2 points of R10's to move the Nova's battle armor around. Two Carnivore HAGs are going to be pretty good at swatting airborne threats to the unit, as well as being great against infantry, vehicles and mechs. In the game I've been toying around with this in, I actually have different armor and ASF in the nova, because we've got some non-canon designs (in particular, an omni variant of the Carnivore that had to be created once I realized that it would be an "Omnivore") but it works with more canon pure equipment too

You could deal with an honorable foe with some fraction of the pure mech star's forces, and a dishonorable foe with the force of the full binary. If you were a clan that employed Protomechs, I imagine you could work some of those into a unit like this as well.

Has anyone else toyed with similar organizational structure? any other ideas to optimize the use of non-mech forces for maximum effect against dezgra targets?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Creative Use of Clan Organization, in a combined arms sphere.
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2018, 18:23:47 »
My favorite Clan formation that is "technically legal" (as much as legality matters to something like this) is a Supernova consisting of a Star of OmniFighters configured to have five ton infantry bays, and the corresponding 10 points of Elementals.  Personally I think the Sulla works best, since you'll still have a meaningful payload while maintaining high thrust.

Conducting a "bombing run" where the payload is an entire Binary of Elementals sounds like a hilarious way to start a battle.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2018, 19:58:19 »
I cannot imagine it is fun being the elementals in that scenario
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2018, 19:59:20 »
They have jumpjets!  I'm sure they'll be fine.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2018, 05:49:28 »
Personally I think the Sulla works best, since you'll still have a meaningful payload while maintaining high thrust.

The Kirghiz C is already designed for that task officially.  ;)

While back i had a Ghost Bear scout Nova that consist of
Viper
Dasher Prime
Dasher D
2x Batu
2x Tyr
25 Elementals

Full BA transport on the ground and some air support. Was also a nice interceptor unit.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2018, 10:05:25 »
The Kirghiz C is explicitly designed for that, but fielding an entire Star of Heavy Omnifighters kinda obviates the need for Elementals in the first place. ;)

The difference in tonnage is significant, the difference in BV is.... humbling.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2018, 15:39:55 »

These units have unusual star, nova, and binary/trinary formations that may be of interest:

Hellion Cluster
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=46989.msg1084228#msg1084228

Horse Keshik
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63225.0

Raven Solahma
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63221.0
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2018, 16:41:03 »
The Wolves had that with the Invasion era 37th Striker led by Star Colonel Vlad (?) Dinour- a Scorpion abathka I think.  Each trinary had a star of mechs, star of Elementals and star of ASF.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2018, 17:14:26 »
I almost always deploy clan forces like that in a mixed fashion in order to get a clan combined arms feel while keeping the game small.

One scenario the OpFor for one mission looked something like

Man O War
Tundra Wolf 3
Oro Point
Hachiman Point
Clan  Medium BA "Volk" Point

Black Hawk
Lobo
Joust Point
Ares Point
Elemental Point

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2018, 21:08:32 »
What a marvelous attempt to get to my secrets... I'll bite later.

TT  ^-^
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register