Author Topic: Davion & Davion (Deceased)  (Read 85433 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: Davion & Davion (Deceased)
« Reply #180 on: 20 March 2018, 14:25:01 »
Exactly.

I could easily see this turnkng into something akin to the Empires Aflame setting, with a semi-intact Hegemony, the Star League still in basic collapse, and varying alliances between its former member states, with the current split seeming to be the Terran Hegemony and Federated Suns versus the Combine, Lyrans and FWL.  Given the advances of the Fed Suns in this setting, a more intact SLDF, and the continued fanaticism of most of its troops, I don't think those who voted for removing Kerensky will be too fond of the outcome.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #181 on: 20 March 2018, 19:11:59 »
Wow, what a scene! I cant see her letting him go though and sort of am assuming that she will retain Kerensky as a "adviser" of sorts. Also, they do not seem to realize that John is a highly respected and loved commander himself and that makes one wounder...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #182 on: 20 March 2018, 20:27:14 »
I loved the scene, but I will say an opportunity was missed when the Sergeant addressed John as "General Davion".

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #183 on: 20 March 2018, 20:42:19 »
And that is hugely significant because it means that they accept John as one of their own. That means to them he's a Star League General first and a council member second.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #184 on: 20 March 2018, 20:48:30 »
Exactly!  And seriously, they removed Kerensky, and didn't consider doing so would put DeChevalier in charge?  He's the most loyal one of the bunch!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #185 on: 20 March 2018, 21:08:39 »
Unless the Council needs to approve the new Commanding General, which I don't recall. They may also just try sacking DeChevalier, too.

Oh, hell. Could you imagine them maneuvering to put "General Davion" in charge, thus hoping to divide loyalties or sow discord in the SLDF and point them away from the other Council Lords, while simultaneously taking out the longest serving voting Council member?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #186 on: 20 March 2018, 21:18:43 »
THAT would be hilarious!  And with Hanse advising him, I think John would run the table on them...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #187 on: 20 March 2018, 22:03:37 »
Oh, it would completely backfire, but they don't know that.

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #188 on: 20 March 2018, 22:24:21 »
As has been so far -- this is marvelous.

My one minor complaint...
“What – ?” asked Kenyon. “What were you going to ask?”

John glared at him. “Your father, at his drunken worst, couldn’t have made more of a fool of himself.” He pushed the chair away. “I suggest an adjournment.”

“On what grounds?”

“I think the Archon needs clean pants,” suggested Hanse.

“I asked the same question a moment ago, Chancellor,” John shot back over his shoulder. “Apparently, because some people don’t seem to realise what was stopping that man from having us detained or executed.”

It's really not made very clear who's saying this. At first it seemed like Kenyon, then Hanse makes the implication it's Robert, then, of course, John makes it clear that it's Barbara.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #189 on: 20 March 2018, 22:36:14 »
Unless the Council needs to approve the new Commanding General, which I don't recall. They may also just try sacking DeChevalier, too.

Oh, hell. Could you imagine them maneuvering to put "General Davion" in charge, thus hoping to divide loyalties or sow discord in the SLDF and point them away from the other Council Lords, while simultaneously taking out the longest serving voting Council member?
Actually depending upon how seniority works in the SLDF, John might have seniority on DeChevalier if his time served as a Marshal in the AFFS counts.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #190 on: 21 March 2018, 06:10:40 »
Probably not, and unlikely the rest of the council would want a Davion in command of the entire SLDF. More likely they go with DeChevalier IMO

al103

• Corporal
« Reply #191 on: 21 March 2018, 06:44:25 »
Either First Lord or the Council I think. Which make De Chevalier Acting Commanding General. Which also makes it so they can't sack him without appointing first - thus making themselves total clowns. Because Council do not command SLDF, they command Commanding General.

Well, they can appoint somebody else to do purges... like hell they would agree on who though.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #192 on: 21 March 2018, 14:13:48 »
Probably not, and unlikely the rest of the council would want a Davion in command of the entire SLDF. More likely they go with DeChevalier IMO
Oh, yes true, but the SLDF probably has rules about recognizing the time you served in House militaries and thus they can make the argument that he has seniority, just to scare the other council members

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #193 on: 21 March 2018, 15:34:56 »
Beautifully written and you captured K perfectly.

I love John is still the 2d Army commander.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #194 on: 21 March 2018, 16:14:02 »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #195 on: 22 March 2018, 03:54:59 »
In addition to the SLDF, let us remember that the Davions now have a battletested army and navy. A fight will not go well for the others.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #196 on: 25 March 2018, 02:29:34 »
Unity City, Terra
Alliance Core, Terran Hegemony
2 October 2775

After spending the evening writing and re-writing a letter to Edwina – even by the time he abandoned the effort and went to bed, he hadn’t managed a version that didn’t descend into lambasting the rest of the Star League Council as feckless idiots – John hadn’t expected to be woken early the next morning. Hot coffee had him in some semblance of attentiveness as he entered the Court in response to the summons.

“General Davion! John!” Aaron DeChevilier called out as he entered.

“Aaron. Sorry, I’m still half-asleep.”

“How did you ever get through a military academy?” the general asked, jogging across the marble floor. He was in full uniform and looked almost criminally awake for the pre-dawn hour.

John snorted. “I was a lot younger then.” Where was Hanse? he thought. The ghost had excused himself the previous night and not yet returned.

“Weren’t we all – what happened yesterday?”

“Well, assuming it’s the second and the council meeting wasn’t a horrible dream, four of my peers decided to remove Kerensky from office.”

“That’s what I heard the first time but I thought someone was talking out of their arse. Why?” Aaron caught John’s elbow as they reached a corner. “Not the council chamber, Alex is in the throne room.”

“Aleksandr called the Council?”

“No one told you?”

“No. I just got told there was an emergency meeting of the Star League Council. Whatever constitutes an emergency.”

DeChevilier huffed. “Other than… what were they thinking?”

“I’m not entirely sure they were thinking at all. Well, maybe that’s unfair to Minoru and Barbara but the other two seem to shut off their brains whenever it comes to anything around him. The others… They didn’t even confirm Helena as First Lord. Stalling for something perhaps? I’ve no idea.”

“Great, well that’s just a -” DeChevilier broke off as they reached the doors. “Did they name a replacement?” he asked holding out a hand to forestall John.

“For First Lord or Commanding General? No to both. On paper I suppose that leaves you in charge although how much attention the General will pay to being dismissed I’m not sure.”

“Have you given any thought to a military coup?”

John gave him a sour look. “I’m not Amaris and I’m fairly sure Aleksandr isn’t.”

“More’s the pity.” Aaron opened the door for John, backing up so as to remain out of line of sight from within.

The throne room was only partially lit, the other Lords shadowy figures around the throne. There was no sign of Kerensky, just five silent figures. All of them looked up as John entered. He noted that Helena still seemed half asleep and she winced as Kenyon broke the silence. “What’s the idea of calling us all here at this hour, Davion?”

“I didn’t,” he replied, walking over to join them. “No Calderon or Avellar?”

“No. Well if you didn’t… who did?”

“There’s a limited number of people who can send out a summons.” John walked to the throne and studied it. “Richard was shot right here I’m told. Amaris would have been standing right in front of him…”

“Stop trying to scare us, Davion.”

A madcap urge arose in John to suggest that they’d been brought here to witness Kerensky declaring himself First Lord or something of the like. It probably wouldn’t be a very good idea, they might run off in a fit of paranoia or pull a sidearm. “If I wanted to frighten you, I could take you to any of a hundred cities and let you envisage your homes looking like that.”

“Ah of course, because you are a hardened warrior?” asked Minoru. “The mighty SLDF general… do you think they will follow you now that Kerensky is removed?”

“You probably should have considered that yesterday.”

Further debate was ended as Kerensky arrived. He wore SLDF uniform, probably not the same one as yesterday but still with no rank markings or medals. The man didn’t need them, he wore his authority like a cloak around his shoulders. Hanse followed him through the door, unnecessarily hastening his step to avoid the doors as they closed behind Kerensky.

Without pause Kerensky walked past the six of them and seated himself upon the throne. With a thrill of dismay, John saw that he was armed. An ornate laser pistol glittering with gems, the Cameron Star resplendent upon one side.

“My lords of the Star League,” Kerensky began. “Thank you for joining me this morning.”

“What’s this about?” Robert Steiner asked in a low voice.

“He’s not ordered a coup as far as I can tell,” Hanse told John hastily. “More’s the pity. He went back to his office and started sorting out his workload. Getting it ready to pass it off, I think.”

Kerensky lifted the pistol, finger outside the trigger guard and careful not to point the muzzle at anyone. “This is the very weapon of regicide,” he told them. “Amaris’ gift to Richard Cameron for Christmas, nine years ago. The weapon he used to kill the First Lord as he sat upon this throne.”

“Then again, how much planning would he need? A platoon to lock you lot up and keep you incommunicado until he had control of your capitals?”

John folded his arms. Kerensky declaring himself First Lord would be technically illegal, but he still had amazing popularity. If the Council were as intransigent as yesterday then it might even be for the best – much the way McKenna had seized power and reformed the stagnant Terran Alliance into the Terran Hegemony centuries ago. It seemed unlikely but if it did happen, best to throw the Federated Suns’ support him immediately.

“The weapon bears two emblems upon it.” Kerensky held it up to show them. “Here the Cameron Star, but here the Shark of House Amaris. Probably Richard thought it symbolised their friendship but the truth is that it symbolises this terrible conflict which we have seen. The Star League upon one side and Amaris’ so-called empire upon the other. So many people have been caught up in it, on one side or the other, indeed in many cases caught up between those sides with no more understanding of why it was happening than this weapon has.”

“Now that that conflict has passed it has left many thousands, indeed many millions of people adrift. Some are refugees or wounded soldiers.” Kerensky looked briefly at John, which he hoped was unspoken acknowledgement of the support the Federated Suns had offered to those groups. “But some are more helpless – people who were led into treason by those they had no reason to distrust. I speak now of the soldiers who served Amaris, both those from the Rim Worlds Republic and from the Terran Hegemony. Large numbers of them are in prison camps, sometimes having been there for years, and among the many roles that has been undertaken over that time has been the need to protect them from vengeful citizens.”

“I must now appeal to you as the leaders of the Star League. There are those amongst them guilty of war crimes and those men and women have been and continue to be brought to trial as swiftly as is consistent with justice. But many, both here and in the Republic are guilty of no more than the misfortune of having found themselves under Amaris’ lies and lacking the wisdom to see his tyranny before it was too late. It is my hope that you will ensure there is no reprisal against them.”

Barbara Liao seemed to relax slightly at these words. “These unfortunates have a fierce advocate in you, general. I am sure that Lady Cameron has no wish for her reign to begin in atrocities against helpless prisoners.”

“Well of course not,” Helena muttered and rubbed her eyes.

“One must admire your devotion,” Minoru Kurita observed mildly. His eyes focused shrewdly upon Kerensky. “Should we name you Protector of the Rim Worlds, as our fathers – excluding Lord Davion’s – once named you Protector of the young Richard Cameron?”

Hanse froze. “Oh that sly bastard!”

What? John wished he could ask openly.

Kerensky inclined his head almost regally, “I would be honoured by such a trust, Lord Kurita, but as a private citizen I lack the resources or authority to discharge a responsibility of such magnitude.”

“Nonsense. I am sure Lord Davion agrees with me that a man of your energy and capabilities is worthy of such elevation.”

“Wait, what are you talking about?” demanded Robert Steiner suspiciously.

John arched an eyebrow. “It’s early in the morning, Lord Kurita. I don’t quite follow your point.”

“Among the many matters that we must surely address is the governance of the Rim Worlds Republic,” Minoru pointed out. “We can hardly let such collaterals of House Amaris as the Sievers or Wongs take power, and Lord Steiner has expressed his concerns repeatedly about the instability of the provisional government. Well how can we better bring order out of chaos than by elevating such a deeply respected man to rulership?”

“What a wonderful idea!” Barbara announced swiftly. “I approve entirely of this. General – no, Lord Kerensky is the ideal choice to rule the Rim Worlds Republic… or Protectorate, should we say? After all, you’ve spent several years there already.”

John hesitated and then looked at Kerensky. “I wouldn’t force this on you, Aleksandr. But I must admit, Lord Kurita and Lady Liao make good points.”

“Absolutely not!” Steiner exclaimed. “We saw what a mess came of his regency.”

“And that was when balancing the obligations of also administering the SLDF. But we’ve now removed that from the equation,” pointed out Barbara.

“I have no particular desire for such an office,” Kerensky admitted thoughtfully. “But conditionally, I could see my way to accepting it.”

“You want more?” exclaimed Kenyon Marik. “An entire territorial state isn’t enough?”

“Given the post is more responsibility than it is privilege,” John shot back. “I take it that the condition is that of protection for Amaris’ soldiers.”

“One of them, yes. Those who wish repatriation to – or for those not born there, simple asylum within the Rim Worlds should be granted it with all dispatch.”

“I’m sure SLDF supply lines can transport them across the Commonwealth.” Minoru proposed and when Robert Steiner opened his mouth the Coordinator glared at him. “As freedom to travel across member-states is a right guaranteed under the Star League Accords.”

John nodded. “I’ll offer the same asylum within the Federated Suns for those wishing to make a fresh start.”

“And I,” concurred Barbara Liao hastily.

“She’s got an eye on the soldiers,” Hanse warned.

Kerensky nodded his acceptance. “I’ll also need to establish a reasonable military force to carry out effective protection of the Rim Worlds. The divisions garrisoning worlds bypassed in the push on Terra have been disarmed and their equipment warehoused. There’s enough there for me to equip a force of around the size Amaris admitted to ten years ago, nothing unreasonable compared to the forces of any other house.”

“Five or six divisions,” John allowed. “That seems reasonable.”

There was a pained squawk from Kenyon Marik and Helena Cameron rounded on him. “Captain-General, whatever your point is, please be less shrill.”

“Shrill!”

“I have a headache,” she told him abruptly.

“What you have is a hangover,” Marik sneered.

“I think we can agree to that condition,” Minoru said firmly. “So do we have an agreement.”

Kerensky shook his head. “One last point. I insist on confirmation of General DeChevilier as the new Commanding General.”

Liao and Kurita hesitated, looking at each other and then at John.

“Why are you looking at me? I can’t take the job, I have the Suns to govern. Just running one Army Group in a hands-off fashion stretched the available hours in the day.”

“We weren’t considering you for it,” Minoru told him. “Alright, General DeChevilier is a suitable choice as your successor. But perhaps you’d also be good enough to make a joint statement with us explaining that you’re stepping down as Commanding General in order to accept the position of Protector.”

“That isn’t quite how I remember yesterday,” Helena said suspiciously. “You dismissed him.”

“Terrible how rumours begin,” the Coordinator said blandly. “Obviously some of us had this in mind from the beginning.”

John folded his arms. “You want to put a good public face on it.”

“It’s far better for the Star League is it not?”

Kerensky placed the laser pistol on one arm of the throne. “Very well, Coordinator. Does the Star League Council so vote?”

“Aye,” Barbara offered and Minoru repeated the word.

Robert’s “Nay!” and Kenyon’s “No,” balanced the issue briefly as Helena and John exchanged looks with each other and with Kerensky.

John made a deferring gesture. “Ladies first.”

“Aye,” Helena said at last.

“I’ll make it official then,” said John. “Aye. And let me be the first to welcome you to the Star League Council, Protector Kerensky.”

.o0O0o.

West Point, Terra
3 October 2775

The ancient academy hadn’t been badly damaged since the North American East Coast had largely been bypassed in the fighting. Pro-Amaris propaganda posters had been torn down but there were still work crews removing some of the more embedded evidence of how West Point had been used to turn out officers for the Hegemony Patriot battalions.

“To answer the question that I’m sure is all burning in your minds,” Major General Marissa Miller began, “General Huong has advised me that he has nothing to add to the official version of events that General Kerensky has left the SLDF in order to accept the rule of the Rim Worlds Republic.”

There were a couple of disbelieving mutters from around the table and one low but carrying “Bullshit,” sing-songed from the direction of a certain Major Pritchard.

“Unofficially, my sources advise me that General Kerensky left the Court of the Star League two days ago without his rank insignia or his medals, that General Davion left a few minutes later in a steaming rage and that the first mention of there being a Protector of the Rim Worlds was the next day after an emergency session of the Council at the crack of dawn.” Miller shrugged. “Make of that what you will.”

“Someone had a gun to their heads,” Pritchard suggested.

“Make of that what you will, but in your own time, Major,” Miller corrected herself briskly. “We do have business to attend to.”

“Does that mean new orders, sir?”

Miller nodded. “It does. As you might imagine, Quartermaster Command have been making themselves heard on the subject of keeping the SLDF supplied when eighty percent of us are all on one world. We might be a drop in the barrel compared to twelve billion civilians but apparently it’s a very small barrel so by the end of the year, most of the army will be on their way to new postings.”

“Is that going to affect keeping the peace here on Terra?” asked Ethan Moreau. “Sixth Army’s still sitting on a powder-keg in Asia.”

“Much to General Chudzik’s relief, Sixth Army is being re-stationed to the Federated Suns,” Miller told him. “However, five armies will remain stationed in the Terran Hegemony to keep the peace during reconstruction. In theory, each army is responsible for one province but in practise, divisions will be operating wherever they’re needed. Seventh Army has been assigned to Lone Star province, which is fairly stable compared to some of the others so… I’m sure you can do the math.”

Moreau nodded. “Yes sir.” A few of the worlds near Terra had only been liberated shortly before the assault on the home world, but most of Lone Star province hadn’t been fought over. Amaris had done incredible damage when he withdrew his forces, but it had been five years and if they hadn’t really recovered there were at least planetary governments in place and the first edge of shock had passed.

“We aren’t just there to keep rioters under control though. There’s a long border with the Draconis Combine to keep an eye on, and Amaris did claim he was handing the worlds over to House Kurita. Given their historical stance on acquisitions – the Dragons’ hoard is theirs but anyone else’s property rights are debateable – it’s at least possible someone might do something stupid there. Certainly any serious incidents involving relief workers from the Combine could be used as grounds for an intervention.”

“Sir, are we going to get replacement personnel?”

“We’re on the list, Colonel Stevens, but so are a lot of other divisions and since we at least have three combat-ready brigades we’re probably not near the top.” Miller gave them a dry smile. “The rewards of success. Since you raised personnel matters, you may note that Lieutenant General Caine isn’t here. The general was overdue for retirement and submitted her resignation yesterday. She’s asked that no one make a fuss… so the surprise party is tonight. Recon elements are keeping her movements under observation and I’ll be calling her in to settle the paperwork at seventeen-hundred hours, at which point we’ll ambush her with booze and a barbecue. Frankly, we could all do with letting off some steam.”

The officers laughed and Ethan made a note of how Miller had turned around the bad news about lack of replacements. Combat-ready brigades was a long way from saying that those brigades were full strength.

“In addition, that means we have an open space in the TO&E that needs filling. LIII Corps will be taking the lead in redeployment – I expect us to be off Terra before the month is out – so we need a new brigade commander.” Miller paused for effect. “Congratulations, Lieutenant General Moreau.”

“What?” It took Ethan a moment to realise he’d said that out loud and once someone started laughing – he suspected Marge Pritchard – that set the entire room off.

“Alright, let me try that again,” the general said. “Congratulations, Lieutenant General Moreau.” She made an egging on gesture and the other officers, those treacherous souls, chorused: “Congratulations.”

“Yeah, thanks and I know where you all sleep,” he said, getting some more chuckles. “But seriously, I wasn’t expecting a brigade.”

“I think you’re ready for it,” Miller told him. “And as you may note from this rowdy lot, most of the division agree. Besides, we’re at peace now so promotions are likely to be slower. You’ll get the chance to settle in and get to grips with being a brigade commander.”

“Peace time doesn’t mean peaceful,” warned Colonel Stevens. “But yeah, you’ll probably get time to wear these rank pins in properly.”

“It’ll make a nice change,” Ethan said drily. Lieutenant General at twenty-eight was insane. General Kerensky had been a year older when he made Colonel, and that was a two-step promotion when he’d won the Medal of Valor on Royal.

Don’t lose your head, Ethan reminded himself. No one gets promoted this fast unless something goes wrong. Comparing myself to Kerensky? That’s ridiculous.

.o0O0o.

Unity City, Terra
10 October 2775

“I can’t believe you voted for Blake,” Hanse complained as John leant back in his chair.

The First Prince shrugged his shoulders, masking it as simply working out some tension in them. The simple fact was that there was no one else with even half Jerome Blake’s credentials when it came to reassembling the tattered HPG network in the Hegemony. Teams under the engineer’s leadership had quite literally restored service on twice as many worlds as any of the other repair groups. Added to his work on re-establishing HPG communications across the occupied Hegemony and any political capital expended to block him would be wasted.

At least the possible link to Conrad Toyama had been neatly severed. After all of Hanse’s suggestions of assassination, the simplest solution had been to simply point one of the other reconstruction interests towards the young man. At the tender age of twenty-three, he was well connected to the black markets flourishing on his home world of Styk and was easily adapting to similar matters. No doubt he’d do well working for Cerulean Waters, but however vital water purification systems were, they’d never have the political impact of controlling interstellar communications.

“Now we’ve confirmed a Commanding General for the SLDF and a Minister of Communications, perhaps we can fill the remaining gap in the upper echelons of the Star League’s government,” he said out loud. “Re-establishing the Bureau of Star League Affairs should give us a better handle on some of the economic… issues that we’re facing.”

“And I suppose you have a candidate in mind?” asked Minoru Kurita sardonically. “I’m not sure the Combine has benefitted from the Bureau as much as the Suns, perhaps we should instead re-think its role.”

“I can think of several candidates,” John answered. “And whatever might change about its role, there should still be a Minister. After all, not every state in the Star League has reduced the Bureau to a blank slate.”

“We seem to have adapted,” noted Kenyon Marik acidly. “Do you suggest we should pay taxes for services only provided to the Federated Suns?”

“You had those services until you stopped those taxes.” He pinched the brow of his nose. “There’s two separate issues here and I don’t see that a debate about its role should be put before appointing a leader for the organisation.”

“Ah, but the choice of minister should be based on what they’re expected to do,” Robert pointed out somewhat gleefully. “We can hardly turn back the clock so with the best will in the worlds the BSLA won’t be able to operate on the same scale for many years to come. There’s no point appointing someone in the expectation of that.”

“At the same time,” Barbara added, “There’s likely to be something of a peace dividend – now that the SLDF is no longer engaged in warfare its expenses will naturally fall and there will be funds available to the BSLA. Surely we should discuss what policies should be followed in allocating such largesse.”

“I wouldn’t count on a drastic influx of funds.” John steepled his fingers. “All that money has to come from tax revenues, after all. The last ten years have left all our economies shakier and cut into what taxes are paid. And of course, in some states, simply collecting those taxes has become all but impossible. You complain that the Federated Suns received the bulk of Star League spending over the last decade, but where do you think the money came from?”

“How we manage our states is our business, not yours.”

“When you’re shorting the Star League government, I’d say that’s the business of the entire Star League Council. Wouldn’t you, Robert?”

“And would you open your own finances to such scrutiny, Prince Davion?” asked Barbara.

“The Bureau’s tax collections and the expenditure of those funds is a matter of record. Administrator Green has been taking steps to ensure all necessary data is available here in the expectation of the new Minister having need for it. As a member of the Council, naturally you have a right to view those records – just as I’m entitled to see what the Bureau’s been doing – and not been allowed to do – within each of your states.”

“Oh, but I’m not talking about the BSLA operations in the Suns,” the Chancellor said silkily. “I mean your personal finances. My understanding is that House Davion was heavily in debt at the time of the Coup. And yet you seem conveniently solvent. It would be interesting to see if you refilled your coffers at the expense of the Duchy of New Avalon which you claimed administration over.”

John snorted. Someone had followed the wrong line of reasoning there. Barbara couldn’t have missed that he’d renounced the debt – but she might have missed why he borrowed the money. “My personal finances are none of your business, Chancellor. The duchy, however, is certainly accounted for in BSLA affairs and I’ve rendered a full account.”

Helena Cameron cleared her throat. “To me, as it happens. And I had the accounts privately vetted so you can rest assured that there was no embezzlement. In fact, Prince Davion and his son have increased the revenues of the Duchy noticeably and it’s been covering my day to day costs since I reached New Avalon last year.”

“Very well. I’d be pleased to have that examined if you’d like a second opinion.”

“Since the Duchy is part of my own personal finances, Chancellor, I don’t think that it’s necessary.” Helena looked over at the now empty seat representing the Outworlds Alliance. Simpson Avellar had made a very hasty departure from Terra following the first meeting of the Star League Council. “I had Felchow und Sohn examine the records. I trust that you’re familiar with their reputation.”

The bank had been intransigent enough with Amaris that their Terran branches no longer existed – and they’d purged their entire computer system between the first effort to seize them – the OPD had been shocked to discover that they weren’t actually sufficiently equipped or trained to successfully storm the bank’s corporate headquarters – and the Rim Worlds Army’s successful storming of the building. Branches outside of the Hegemony had regrouped and they’d been first to accept David Avellar’s invitation to set up an Outworlds branch.

“That would do,” Barbara conceded. “Although that does lead us to what the SLDF will do about the rebels. After all, Amaris is out of the picture.”

“I seriously doubt if the SLDF is in any position to resume its campaign against the secessionist elements within the Concordat or any of the other states. After all, such a campaign would be expensive and I do get the impression that you prefer them starved of cash,” Nicoletta gave Kerensky a smug smile. “Wouldn’t you agree, Protector?”

Kerensky was seated opposite her, right next to John. “That brings us back to the matter of finances,” he said without directly addressing Nicoletta. “The Rim Worlds’ financial structure has been somewhat restored to support SLDF operations. Separating Bureau assets from those of the SLDF will be relatively straightforward, if time consuming and should proceed along with establishing the Rim Worlds’ new government.”

“How very admirable,” Minoru murmured. “Perhaps we should rescind Council Directive 41 and reinstate the system of Periphery Administrators for territorial states. Of course, that would also mean that Lord Kerensky would have to cede his seat here to the appointed administrator.”

“While I agree we should revisit our policies in the Periphery, a more nuanced position would probably be in order,” John said before Kenyon or Robert could get their teeth into the idea. “And we are drifting away from the issue at hand. May I suggest we appoint a provisional head of the BSLA to audit their current resources and any shortfalls in revenue?”

“Your Bennett Green perhaps?” sniped Kenyon. “He’s more one of your ministers now than he is a Star League official.”

“I was actually thinking Reika Isu, the State Administrator for the Draconis Combine. She’s been heavily involved in the reconstruction of the Hegemony so she has some experience of assessing and reconstructing damaged government facilities and structures.”

The Lord of the Free Worlds League glanced aside at Minoru. “You know her best.”

“Regrettably I don’t feel that she would be equal to the task,” the Coordinator demurred.

Robert cleared his throat. “We shouldn’t elevate any of the State Administrators. We need a fresh pair of eyes, an outsider who isn’t part of their cliques. I nominate Jennifer Steiner.”

Kenyon laughed. “I’m not sure why you think we’d place the Star League’s administration in the hands of your sister, even temporarily.”

“Jennifer’s more than capable.”

“But capable of what? We don’t need some Lyran merchant cutting sharp deals to your benefit in charge of the Bureau,” the Captain-General said harshly.

“Should we appoint Edward Hughes then?” asked Helena cautiously. “He seems sensible.”

“I wouldn’t trust that blowhard to carry a bucket of water,” retorted Kenyon.

Helena sighed and pulled out a hip-flask. “I get the impression you don’t trust many people, Lord Marik,” she said as she unscrewed the lid.

Kenyon gave her a contemptuous look as she sipped the contents. “Certainly not drunks,” he told her.

She blinked at him and then took her water glass, pouring a little of the flask’s contents into it. “It’s antacid,” Helena explained, pushing the glass towards the Captain-General so he could examine the milky contents. “Now, I trust you’ll excuse me if I move to adjourn the session. I’ve Hegemony business to attend to and we’ve run long for the last three days so it’s piling up.”

“I quite understand,” Barbara said warmly. “May I suggest we recess the session so we can attend to business at home?”

“Motion seconded,” Robert asserted. “In fact, let’s recess until next year. Then we’ll at least know who the real Director-General is.”

“I find myself in the rare position of agreeing with the Archon,” Minoru concurred.

“Four votes cast in favour, motion carries,” Helena noted and pushed back her chair. “Have a good evening, my lords of the council. And safe journeys home.”
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #197 on: 25 March 2018, 10:55:44 »
I have to confess, I was expecting (and, honestly, kind of hoping for) a little more kaboom.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #198 on: 25 March 2018, 11:46:49 »
I have to confess, I was expecting (and, honestly, kind of hoping for) a little more kaboom.

I was sort of folloowing this line of thouught myself. Still great thouugh. Though no one can be happy with the 3 real powers, davion, kerinsky and helena. thoes 3 will be thick as theves for good.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #199 on: 25 March 2018, 13:34:23 »
No boom today, boom tomorrow.  Drakensis writes great booms.  Kabooms even.  Marvin would approve.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #200 on: 25 March 2018, 19:46:44 »
So how much of the SLDF will follow Kerensky as the Protector of the Rim Worlds Republic or Protectorate?
“One of them, yes. Those who wish repatriation to – or for those not born there, simple asylum within the Rim Worlds should be granted it with all dispatch.”
“I’m sure SLDF supply lines can transport them across the Commonwealth.” Minoru proposed and when Robert Steiner opened his mouth the Coordinator glared at him. “As freedom to travel across member-states is a right guaranteed under the Star League Accords.”

John nodded. “I’ll offer the same asylum within the Federated Suns for those wishing to make a fresh start.”

“And I,” concurred Barbara Liao hastily.

“She’s got an eye on the soldiers,” Hanse warned.

Kerensky nodded his acceptance. “I’ll also need to establish a reasonable military force to carry out effective protection of the Rim Worlds. The divisions garrisoning worlds bypassed in the push on Terra have been disarmed and their equipment warehoused. There’s enough there for me to equip a force of around the size Amaris admitted to ten years ago, nothing unreasonable compared to the forces of any other house.”

“Five or six divisions,” John allowed. “That seems reasonable.”
Cause I see he set himself up for it
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #201 on: 25 March 2018, 22:31:47 »
i have to agree, i definetly see many following kerensky and even some following davion. both are popular .

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #202 on: 26 March 2018, 03:15:30 »
i have to agree, i definetly see many following kerensky and even some following davion. both are popular .

And of those who can´t or won´t, a lot will follow Helena because Kerensky asks them to.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #203 on: 26 March 2018, 16:51:37 »
And of those who can´t or won´t, a lot will follow Helena because Kerensky asks them to.

eeeeeeeeexactly

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #204 on: 26 March 2018, 19:23:55 »
I'm hoping Helena does better out of this telling than she did in the outline.  I've noticed a few variations already... :)

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #205 on: 27 March 2018, 19:03:13 »
i was looking to more backbone from the new star lord.
but the setup that the ex genral did with the court was great in setup and doing.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #206 on: 27 March 2018, 19:07:34 »
I think she's still growing a backbone, and that's what gives me hope.  She didn't do too well in the outline, but as I said, there are enough variations so far that I think she might do at least a little better than that...

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #207 on: 29 March 2018, 03:16:29 »
Gorst City, Clovis
Draconis March, Federated Suns
13 November 2775

“How has the new organisation worked out in terms of logistics?” Thomas Halder-Davion had recently been appointed as Thomas Green-Davion’s aide, much to the confusion of many within the AFFs high command. “Can a regimental staff handle the demands of five battalions with three different troop types?”

“The short answer is yes, Major Halder-Davion.” Colonel Susan Sandoval seemed amused by the question. “To be more detailed: there’s a broad overlap of what’s needed in some areas so only a little adjustment is needed. And the load isn’t entirely carried by my demi-brigade’s staff. In fact, the main adjustment was working out the interactions with brigade staff so that we weren’t duplicating effort. Once it became clear what each side of that could delegate to each other – we were able to focus time and effort much more effectively.”

Halder-Davion nodded. “And the dropships worked out for you?”

“Mostly, yes. The Tower-class transports don’t really give a lot of space for spare munitions and the sort. It’s not too much of an issue with a Storm or Grove-class ship along. In this case we had six collars to work with so we could take a freighter along and the Buccaneer more or less doubled our supplies. I can’t really recommend the Tower for independent battalions though.”

Hanse rubbed his chin. “That’s something the designers missed out on. It shouldn’t be too bad as long as we still have some Dictators and Overlords available but that might not be guaranteed.”

“Hopefully battalions carrying out independent operations would be operating in multiple smaller dropships,” John observed quietly. “It’s still worth considering though. Field operations require a lot of supplies and if the Tower-class ships can’t carry their weight then it’s going to be a problem.”

Sandoval shrugged. “I gather it was tight fitting that many ‘Mech bays into the hull and as long as parts are available they’re excellent field repair stations for ‘Mechs. Also, at the demi-brigade level, as long as we’re all using the newer dropships their capacity can be shared.”

“How do the infantry and artillery feel about that?” the First Prince enquired.

“I think they’re too happy with the new ships to have noticed – particularly the infantry. The quarters on the Storm-class are a big step up from those on a Fury.”

“The naval side of operations seems to have gone fairly smoothly,” Thomas Green-Davion noted. “What did you think of the opposition?”

Operation PERCIVAL had been a relatively small trial of the AFFS’ new divisional model, with a division operating on the new table of organisation staging out of the Capellan March and rushed across to the Draconis March to launch a simulated invasion. Mostly intended to test the transport and administration, the action at the end had been almost an afterthought except to the troops involved.

The 27th Avalon Hussars BattleMech Division – including the eponymous Avalon Hussars, the Eleventh Tancredi Loyalists and Colonel Sandoval’s Fifth Crucis Dragoons – had secured a comfortable victory over the combined forces of the Clovis and Robinson Draconis March Militias. Possibly a little too comfortable – the March Militia’s morale had taken a nasty knock since they’d had the numerical advantage in every area except BattleMechs.

Sandoval leant back in her chair. “I’d say they were too aggressive, sir. There wasn’t really anything wrong with their coordination – I’d be happy to work alongside them any day.”

“Interesting. That doesn’t tally with the outcome of the match.”

“And without aggression, you wind up with some of the Lyran’s worse regiments,” Hanse added to Halder-Davion’s comment.

“Their attack on our landing zones was by the books, sir. And the new books at that. But we wrote a lot of that book and they were on the wrong chapter. As soon as they knew they were facing a heavy invasion force, the Militia should have looked at how to pin us into place and commit against them.”

Green-Davion leant one elbow on the table. “You don’t think the March Militias are enough to handle an invasion force?”

“Respectfully sir, no. They’re able to handle raids and light invasions but even if they succeeded in taking us out they’d have taken very heavy losses. They came at us looking for a fair fight and only suckers do that. If they’d contained the situation then there were at least two divisions worth of reinforcements they could have called in from neighbouring worlds and then we’d have been decisively outnumbered.”

“Unfortunately, Colonel, off world reinforcements aren’t always available.”

Sandoval shook her head at the Marshal. “In that case, sir, then they ought to have either played for time until they were – or withdrawn. Throwing their best troops right into the meat grinder would only have been justified if they were defending a major objective they couldn’t allow us near at any cost and that simply wasn’t the case.”

“I see. Interesting view. Other than that?”

“Their artillery coordination was good – if they’d had self-propelled guns rather than towed then our artillery couldn’t have taken them out so quickly with counter-battery fire. They’d been positioned out of range of Arrow IV missiles in fact, so if we’d been using SLDF Valis or Chaparrals, we couldn’t have done that. It was their bad luck we had Thumpers than could reach out and take them out. The Loyalists could have been badly hurt otherwise.”

John nodded. “It’ll be years before we have enough self-propelled guns for everyone but you’re right. How would you suggest they dealt with that?”

“Repositioning after every shot, although that then costs them rate of fire. Again, it would have meant playing the longer game.” Sandoval shrugged. “But they were told to give an intense bombardment as cover for the attack and they delivered. To be fair, by knocking them out our own artillery wasn’t able to give us covering fire in the initial stages so it’s not as if they were expended to no effect – they just shouldn’t have been expended at all in my view.”

“And the BattleMech forces?”

The colonel nodded. “I can’t fault their cohesion with their armoured elements. Individually they might not have been the sharpest pilots but they knew where they needed to be tactically. If we’d had a smaller force or a lighter one, they could possibly have won.”

“If and possibly are excuses, and when the winner talks up the loser it usually means they’re trying to talk up their accomplishments,” warned Hanse. He looked Sandoval over and then grunted. “Or maybe it’s family loyalty. Excusing a DMM’s soldiers even if she can’t do the same for their leaders.”

“How would you rate the March Militias against the Kathil CMM? I understand you’ve trained against them once or twice.”

“It’s a bit of a contrast. The staff for Kathil’s CMM are very tight,” she said. “There’s a lot of drilling and they have General Motors right there so they can afford to risk damage to their equipment. On the other hand, a lot of their Mechwarriors and sergeants are right out of the academy on Goshen, so they have to work within that limitation. I think these two regiments might have more retirees so there’s a better base of experience at the bottom.”

“I see.” John ran one hand back through his hair, conscious of the grey that had crept into it over the last few years. “And both the DMMs you faced have been poached for staff to handle the administrative work in this part of the Suns over the last few years. It seems we’ve done your father a disservice.”

Colonel Sandoval stiffened. “I can’t speak for the duke, sir.”

“That was a rhetorical comment, colonel. I trust you won’t object if I pass your compliments to your opponents though.”

“Not at all, sir.”

.o0O0o.

Avalon City, New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Suns
21 December 2775

The two Davion couples had opened the dancing – John and Edwina joined by Joshua and Mary upon the floor – and closed it out as well. John’s feet were definitely petitioning for removal of shoes and perhaps for the opportunity to soak in hot water. Edwina was happy though and that was certainly worth the ache.

Owen was waiting deferentially at the doors to the royal apartment and John groaned.

Edwina laughed and kissed her husband on the cheek. “At least it didn’t interrupt the ball, whatever the news is. Nothing too terrible, Owen?”

“Please tell me it’s not admirals offering to resign. I just announced they could have three battlecruisers, what more do they want?”

The long-cherished dream of the Federated Suns Navy would be laid down in the new year in place of the three carriers originally scheduled. The new Defender II-class ships would be largely based on the hull of a New Syrtis-class carrier – a cost-saving idea from the resourceful Admiral Moore – but replacing the flight decks with a respectable array of naval autocannon that should give it firepower somewhere between the SLDF’s Cameron and Black Lion-class battlecruisers.

“I don’t believe the navy is in revolt, sir,” Owen said with a smile. “There is some news from Terra, which can wait until tomorrow, but also a message from the spaceport which probably cannot.”

John closed his eyes for a moment and then he reached up and loosened his collar. “No one I have to meet, I assume?”

“No sir. Or at least, not without warning.”

“I’ll have someone bring your slippers, dear,” Edwina murmured resignedly.

“You’re a jewel among women, my love.” John returned her kiss before following Owen to his office. The wing wasn’t silent even at this hour but it was far quieter – even the cleaning crew had passed by so only a handful of the night staff were at their desks.

In his office he only lit the lamp above his desk, leaving it a pool of light within the chamber. He heard a soft snore from the attached bedroom and smiled slightly at the private jest of the attentive Owen missing the sound of Hanse asleep. “Alright, Owen. What’s the problem?”

“We have a discreet visitor to New Avalon, although not to the Royal Court.” The secretary opened up the desk’s inbuilt display and called up a visual image. “We only spotted her by chance.”

John studied the woman in the centre of the image. “So who is she?”

“If you mean the redhead in the centre, that would be Captain Elizabeth Hazen of the SLDF. Aide de camp to the Director-General and late of the Royal Black Watch she’s informally high in Lady Cameron’s circle of advisors.”

“She’s certainly let her hair down.” The SLDF officer was dressed to impress and not with her military accomplishments. “Why is this of immediate concern?”

Owen moved a cursor and circled the face of a brunette half-hidden behind Hazen. “Jessica Croft, according to her papers.”

It took a moment for the face to register. “My god.”

“It seems that the Provisional Director-General’s spiritual retreat over the Christmas season hasn’t taken her to Scotland as she suggested.”

“Her mother’s name,” John murmured. “What is she doing here?”

“At the moment, checked into a middling room in a good hotel outside town. Captain Hazen is registered as a Hegemony citizen – perfectly true since she was born on Terra - and has visas for a small party – her assistant the so-called Ms Croft and two security men. Their luggage was larger than average but not unreasonable by the standards of nobility.”

The First Prince rubbed his face. “That retreat might play nicely on Terra, the media are staking out her late great-aunt’s abbey in hope of catching her there, but coming here means at least a month of Keith Cameron campaigning effectively unopposed, her proxies can’t compete with a candidate who actually visits the populace.”

The door opened and Edwina entered, holding a pair of slippers by the heels. “I didn’t see the need to bother a maid,” she explained, having changed out of her own heels into a pair of slippers and let down her hair. John’s wife gave the image of Hazen an amused look. “This was the emergency?”

Owen repeated his earlier movement of the cursor and Eleanor’s eyes widened. “Oh dear. And she’s at that age too – I wonder who it is.”

“Who who is?” John asked, Owen looking just as bemused as he felt.

“Her young man.” Edwina looked at them both and then shook her head. “You’re such men.”

“Well I should hope so,” John said mildly. He accepted the slippers and sat down to remove his shoes. “You think this is some sort of romantic assignation?”

“Did she tell you she was coming? Because if it’s not a matter of state then it must be personal, and to be incognito something she’d prefer wasn’t advertised.”

Owen nodded grudgingly. “That would be consistent. But she wasn’t noted as establishing such ties and we had people much closer than the media were.”

“Who else does she know? Vincent’s family, but they’d be too closely related and she isn’t that foolish…” mused Edwina.

John closed his eyes. “Cardonnes,” he concluded.

“Who?”

He sighed. “When she was on Terra, one of our Stealthy Foxes was keeping her safe.”

“Handsome man, a few years older than her?” Edwina speculated. “I don’t recall a Cardonnes family.”

Owen had taken over the controls and pulled up a file. “Leftenant Cardonnes is from Flensburg, here on New Avalon,” he reported. “There’s no previous family history of military service, his father is listed as working at a butcher’s. Current posting is on loan to the Ministry of Information in a training post.”

The royal couple exchanged looks. “Where?”

“On Hecheng, but he’s taken a lengthy leave to visit his family for Christmas. Arrived last week, the dropship back to Hecheng leaves on the twenty-ninth.”

John scowled. “Awfully convenient.”

Owen shrugged. “Given Ministry scheduling he must have booked it in at least six months ago – before Lady Cameron returned to Terra. At the time it would have been reasonable to assume she’d have been confirmed as First Lord and under a microscope twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.”

“It would be politically difficult for her be found here right now,” he grumbled.

“And for her to marry her young leftenant?” asked Edwina, a slight edge to her voice.

“That would just be awkward for me,” he explained defensively. “The rest of the Council blaming me for marrying a deserving AFFS officer is one thing, but leaving the Hegemony right now could cost her the election as Director-General.”

His wife nodded. “And she’s only twenty-six.”

“We’d been married for seven years when you were twenty-six.”

“It’s different when you’re married. There’s a very applicable saying to the season: no one wants Christmas cake after the twenty-sixth.”

John groaned and buried his face in his hands. “Owen, send instructions that I want a discreet outer perimeter around Ms Hazen and her household at all times. With a little luck the media won’t catch her.”

“And what about Mr Cardonnes?”

“You have his name, address and contact information there,” he told Edwina. “If you want to send her a note playing matchmaker, that’s between the two of you. At least I can honestly claim I’m not encouraging this. Besides which, if I give him instructions it would come as an order from the First Prince however it was meant.”

Edwina considered and then borrowed a pen from his desk. “Owen, find me something to write on.”

.o0O0o.

Brussels, Terra
25 January 2776

Geneva was still unfit to resume its role as the seat of the Terran Hegemony’s government and Unity City was the centre of the Star League, not of the Hegemony. As a result, the same facilities that had provided a temporary SLDF headquarters were now providing a similar function for the Hegemony Congress.

“There will probably be challenges to the validity,” Jens Pinera noted. The aged statesman had declined to serve again, as he had during Richard’s minority but he had agreed to at least oversee the election of his successor’s successor – by unspoken agreement, Stefan Amaris’ election would be discounted. “Not all worlds are able to organise votes yet. And the SLDF is encouraging Hegemony natives to register to vote – they’ve always been free to do so but the SLDF’s historically encouraged a neutral position.”

“It might give the Star League Council second thoughts about challenging the election, to know that the SLDF has come down off their fence.”

“It could be.” The old man didn’t seem convinced by Keith Cameron’s point. “Excuse me, it seems that I’m being called on.”

The two Camerons watched the old man walk away and then looked at each other. “We’ll know soon,” Keith told Helena.

She looked back at the noteputer before her, still scrolling through the possible speeches she’d prepared. “Obviously.”

“You’re not concerned? I mean, you’ve got incumbent advantage but…”

Helena shook her head. “I have speeches written for either outcome. I’m ready.”

“Just like that.”

She gave him a blank look. “Yes…?”

“Well, should you win I will of course give you my full support,” he promised.

“That’s very good of you. If that doesn’t happen… honestly I think in that case I’d be a rallying point for opposition so it would be best for me to keep a low profile after I endorse you.”

Keith rubbed his chin. Chins, she noted uncharitably. Although he had lost a bit of weight since they met on the dropship leaving Terra. “You don’t have to do that.”

Any further discussion of the possible outcomes was cut off as Pinera returned. “Sorry to abandon you,” he explained. “The first returns are in and there were some questions from my staff on how to handle the write-in votes.”

Helena frowned, brow wrinkling. “What’s a write-in vote?”

Keith held up one finger then frowned. “Actually I don’t know either.”

Pinera raised an eyebrow. “I suppose you haven’t had cause to come across elections before. It’s where the voter replaces the name on the ballot slip with a candidate of their choice instead of one of the presented options.”

“They can do that?” exclaimed Keith.

“It’s not exactly binding and generally only a tiny number of voters do so. I think something like fifty thousand voters submitted write-in votes when Richard was being affirmed. Brave Little Yoli was the leading write-in candidate if I recall correctly.”

“Who is Brave Little Yoli?” she asked, trying to think back to when she was twelve and Richard came of age.

“A children’s holovid character,” the old man explained. “A little before your time – no one said that write-ins have to be real people. Generally we take that as a sign of who voters want the winning candidate to be like. Brave Little Yoli was apparently known for standing up to older characters that were set in their way and showing them better ways through his noble example.” He sighed. “Probably not the best guidance to have given Richard, really.”

“Perhaps not,” Keith conceded. “So who’s getting write in votes now?”

“The question was how to reconcile the votes that have been cast for ‘A Kerensky’, ‘General Kerensky’, ‘Aleksandr Kerensky’, etc.”

Helena sighed. “I suppose that’s not too surprising. Did he get many votes?”

Pinera pursed his lips. “Yes. Of course, Chara saw some considerable fighting and he made his headquarters there briefly. Normally, as I said, write ins are a fraction of a percent among the voting. You could lose them as a rounding error.”

Keith gave the vote counters a thoughtful look and then turned back to Pinera. “I hear a but.”

“I didn’t check the aggregate, but at least from Chara we could be looking at a double-digit result for him.”

The two Camerons exchanged looks. “As someone to emulate, you said?” Keith asked warily.

“Well, fictional write-ins yes. Once real people’s names come into it… complications.”
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #208 on: 29 March 2018, 03:17:11 »
The displays set up for the results had been expected to track only two candidates and an optional ‘other’ category. By the time the tenth world’s results came in, it had been hastily reconfigured to add Kerensky’s name alongside Helena’s and Keith’s.

The fourth bar, for other, was added for reference but it had barely moved at all as reports trickled in from other worlds. Terra was likely to be among the last worlds to report its vote totals. Despite the casualties of the invasion and the tens of thousands who were leaving the mother world as refugees every day, it remained the most populous of worlds, with almost twelve billion people. Collating the votes would simply take longer.

“Do you think Kerensky would take the job?” asked Keith. The former Commanding General’s column on the display was catching up with those of the two Camerons. More than twleve billion votes had been counted so far with turnouts of between 20% and 30% on most worlds, which was another delaying factor. While in theory the capacity was there for every registered voter to participate, in practise it wasn’t unusual for only one in nine to actually do so. The turnout Amaris had claimed of 85% would have been unprecedented at any time. Some of the worlds so far reporting had double the usual number of votes being cast and reserves of electoral staff were being mobilised to get the count in.

Helena poured some milk into her coffee and stirred. “I sent a message but he’s on Summer so it might take a while for him to respond.”

“What’s he doing on Summer?” That was right on the Lyran border – in fact, the Archon’s late mother had been duchess there.

She sighed. “It was a mustering point for some of the troops being repatriated and there was an incident between some of the Rim Worlds troops and the SLDF volunteers from the Rim Worlds. Throw in Steiner peacekeepers and the local population and there was a four-sided stand-off after the initial brawl.”

“God. I hope things settle down when he’s got his people out of the Hegemony.”

She shrugged. “One problem solved, two more will come along. He’s asked for warships, you know. There were half a dozen ships that had been assigned to Amaris’ divisions that stood down and he claims that they’re covered by agreement to let him have the weapons and other equipment of the units.”

“Do you really want a new Rim Worlds fleet?” asked Keith.

“It might be your issue to deal with,” Helena warned. She lifted her coffee and sipped. “Two are just corvettes and the other four are reconditioned frigates from the reserve fleet. I’m inclined to let him have them.”

Keith made a face. “The Archon will object.”

“And we both know why that is – oh, more votes in.”

Sure enough, the voting columns adjusted again. “We’re starting to get votes in from more populous worlds,” reported Pinera. “This is Ozawa and… hmm. Not so much of a Kerensky vote there.”

“And there goes my lead,” Keith said tightly. Previously he’d had a razor-thin margin over Helena but now that had reversed itself. He laughed sharply. “I’m getting invested in this.”

“You weren’t before?” asked Pinera. “You’ve been campaigning across the Hegemony for months.”

“I was campaigning for policies,” the man said distractedly. “I’ll serve as Director-General if called on but I didn’t think it was very likely.”

“And now it could happen. Do you want the office or not?”

Keith hesitated and looked at Helena. “I… yes. No offense meant, I don’t think Helena’s doing a bad job.”

She smiled a little enigmatically and gestured for him to continue.

“Richard was too young, too inexperienced. I can’t say the same of either of us and I think we could both do a better job.”

“Unfortunately that’s setting the bar quite low,” Pinera reminded him.

“Yes, well if I win then I’d take that as support for what I’ve been advocating. And why shouldn’t I be the one to put them into effect?”

“Rebuilding the Hegemony Armed Forces?” asked Helena. “Protectionist tariffs?”

“Well it’s hard to say that the Hegemony doesn’t need better protection, militarily and economically!”

.o0O0o.

Over the next few hours the columns continued to rise. Helena and Keith traded off the lead repeatedly but as worlds from Tyrfing and Lone Star provinces began to come in, Kerensky’s votes were closing the gap.

Both of the Camerons stepped outside and addressed the crowds that were beginning to form outside the building. A cordon of SLDF military police was waiting in case anticipation of the results turned into fighting but the atmosphere was sufficiently positive that the worst they’d had to do so far was encourage a few inebriated celebrants to go and get some coffee and sit down for a while.

Keith Cameron’s “Have you all voted? If not go and cast them now,” speech got laughs while Helena simply thanked the crowd for coming.

Inside again, the Terran returns were coming in. Mars, Venus and the belter communities had cast their votes long ago but now the great and ancient cities of the mother world had their say.

“I told the assessors to add each district’s votes as they come in rather than wait for the planetary total,” Jens advised them. “It’s so close that we won’t know the final results until every district is in – if one has a high or low turnout then it could all turn on that.”

“Have you ever seen a vote like it?” Helena asked.

“Not in my life,” the old man told her plainly. “I should warn you that whichever of you is elected, the Congress is filling up with hardliners. It’s a good thing Kerensky’s moving the Rim Worlders out because we could see some ugly reprisals.”

“Oh of course, now that Amaris isn’t a threat it’s safe to speak ill of him,” Keith muttered. “I doubt one in ten of them did anything to bring him down.”

Helena made a face. “How much did we contribute to that, really?”

“That’s not the point.”

“I’ll hold the displays once we have the last vote,” Pinera told them, hoping not to have the pair start arguing. “That way we have a moment to absorb the results before they’re announced.”

Helena opened her noteputer. “Kerensky’s getting close,” she murmured. “I may need a different concession speech.”

“Three candidates, each with over thirty percent of the vote, no one’s going to have a clear majority,” her portly cousin rubbed his eyes. “It’s been a long day.”

“At least the loser gets to go to bed,” she murmured. “Whoever wins has to stay for the victory celebrations.”

The noteputer announced new mail for Helena right as the last few districts sent in their votes. North America’s East Coast districts that hadn’t taken the damage other parts of Terra had. The turnout there seemed to have been unusually high.

“I have the results,” Pinera informed them quietly. Up above them the screen had replaced all the data with a spinning Hegemony banner and the message: ‘results pending’. Outside the crowd roared with excitement.

Helena nodded. “And Lord Kerensky’s HPG reply just arrived. Shall we exchange?”

The old man made a face. “He’s got thirty-four percent of the vote. The American metropolises love him. Only Moskva went harder for the man.”

“Well he is a Muscovite,” Helena pointed out, opening the message. “He declines the nomination – can’t be Director-General while he’s off in the periphery and it would be faithless to abandon the duties he’s already accepted there.”

Keith shook his head. “Did either of us manage thirty-five?”

“You came in just over thirty-three parent,” Pinera reported and then looked to Helena. “And you came in, I’m sorry my dear, but just under thirty-three. Less than half a million votes in it.”

The former naval officer licked his lips nervously. “Then… I suppose…”

“Third place doesn’t win, Keith. My congratulations,” Helena offered, along with her hand. “Or perhaps commiserations would be more appropriate.”

“So how do we announce this?” he asked Pinera.

“It might be best if we didn’t make an issue of Kerensky’s getting more votes than either of you,” he said quietly. “If we simply announce he declined nomination and that Lord Cameron’s votes exceeded your own.”

”The truth but not the whole truth.” Helena’s lips curved into a smile and both men were struck by the thought that it was the happiest she’d looked since the votes started coming in. “I can work that into my concession speech, give you time to get your acceptance one in order.”

Keith nodded. “Indeed. No hard feelings?”

“Of course not,” Helena told him. “Of course not.”

She stepped out onto the balcony and the crowd fell, if not silent then at least to a clamour that the speakers could penetrate.

“Ladies and gentlemen, citizens of the Hegemony,” she began. “The votes have all been counted and Lord Kerensky has managed to send a message back to express how honoured he is at the many people who’ve chosen to place his name on the ballots, even though he will not be able to serve as Director-General. I’m sure we are all grateful to him for his tireless efforts over more than twenty years.”

She paused for effect as Keith and Pinera joined her on the balcony. “And now, as my last act as your Director-General, may I present your new leader and the twenty-first Director-General…”

.o0O0o.

Unity City, Terra
10 February 2776

“With all due respect, Lord Cameron, I should prosecute those soldiers for desertion.” Aaron DeChevilier was glad in retrospect that he’d been let in to see the new Director-General without delay. If he’d been kept in an antechamber then he thought he might have built up a regrettable head of steam and said something unfortunate. “Or possibly mutiny.”

Keith Cameron leant back in his chair. The desk in front of him was more functional than decorative – this was a working office, not a formal one for receptions. Whatever else might be said of him, at least he hadn’t taken his election as endorsement to wallow in the privileges of his new status.

“I’d rather you didn’t do that,” he said briskly. “I suspect you’d have a strong case, although I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t think it would end well for anyone – the two of us included.”

“Yes, I’d almost have to single you out as inciting them too,” the general added. “May I ask what you were thinking?”

“I’m thinking that my distinguished ancestor made a mistake in folding the HAF into the SLDF entirely when it was formed,” Cameron told him. “And it’s not as if we can hide behind SDS drones any more. If the Star League Council votes that the entire SLDF should leave the Hegemony, what defences am I left with?”

“That logic I can see, but you publically invited Royal Command to defect.”

“I admit that my words may have been… ill-chosen.” The younger man toyed with a stylus on his desk. “I thought I might get a cadre – older soldiers wanting to stand down from SLDF service but that I could form new regiments around.”

“Instead you’ve gutted fourteen divisions – which is making an unholy mess of my deployments. Over a hundred regiments have pledged themselves to HAF and half of them were supposed to be embarking for posts outside the Hegemony. And that’s not counting individual soldiers and spacers – it’s fortunate there are no warships under Royal Command or we could have crews turning on each other.”

Cameron squared his shoulders. “I can hardly turn them away, general.”

“And I can’t sit back and watch the SLDF torn apart. There are already reports of recruiters from the House militaries offering incentives to officers and men from their realms and I find it had to see this as anything but more of the same.”

“I understand, general.” Cameron’s voice had an edge of frustration. “Obviously we need to work something out to close this off and to save face.”

“If you think this is about face, Director-General…”

“It’s political, everything involves face somehow.” The man behind the desk took a deep breath. “The SLDF’s rather than yours, if that helps.”

“You can have the men but I want the equipment back,” DeChevilier offered.

“Can I have the women too?” Cameron asked sarcastically. “I’m going to need equipment for them as well. And personnel mustering out can pay for their equipment.”

“Which they haven’t done – and I doubt you have the budget.”

“And I’ll need bases and a small number of ships.”

“If I give you an entrenching tool, Lord Cameron, will you stop digging?”

“Well I was rather hoping you’d suggest what you want in exchange. You know, the start of sensible negotiations.”

“I’m beginning to wish your cousin was still in that chair.”

“There are times when I want that too, but I don’t even know where she went after the election.” He huffed. “If Amaris couldn’t find her I suppose I won’t.”

DeChevilier laughed despite himself. “If it’s any consolation she sent my family a letter, so I expect she’s alright. She assured us you weren’t having her disappeared.”

“Bloody hell, I’m not that sort of person!”

The general grudgingly conceded the point. The incipient First Lord hadn’t reached that stage… yet. Hopefully he wouldn’t. “Let’s get back to the point. Can you fund buying the equipment of the regiments that have… elected to rejoin the HAF?”

“Not at list price – which also means I can’t afford to replace it from the factories. But let’s point out that I realistically have the equipment now. The question isn’t whether or not I get it, it’s what you get out of that.”

“The Star League Council may not see it that way.”

“Given the recruiters you’ve mentioned, I don’t think they’d support a principle that stops them recruiting out of the SLDF,” Cameron pointed out in what could charitably be called a reasonable tone. “Look, one of the things I was arguing for in my manifesto was to bring the territorial states back into the Star League. My understanding is that you don’t support that.”

“It would be a fine way to destroy what’s left of the SLDF.”

“Okay. Then perhaps we can compromise. If you sign off on the transfer of the regiments that have volunteered back into the HAF, along with any personnel shuffling to accommodate the stray volunteers, and including all of their equipment, along with… one military base per world of the Hegemony? Most worlds have more than that. Anyway, if you’ll agree to that then I’ll commit to oppose any military action against the Alliance, Concordat and Magistracy for the next ten years. Maybe the next fifteen to twenty. We have a ceasefire, I can justify holding that in place and trying diplomacy.” He laughed cynically. “Diplomacy is a lot cheaper, end of the day.”

“Are you offering to sell your vote?”

“Not to the highest bidder!” protested Cameron. “Look, even if I pushed for it now it would take years to lay the groundwork for such operations. And with a hundred odd regiments joining the HAF, you’re even less able to carry out another invasion than you were last month.”

“The thought had occurred.” He folded his arms in thought. “No warships.”

“I want some, but I’m just trying to offer you something reasonable for what’s already happened. We can talk warships another time.”

“But you’ll want their assigned dropships.”

Cameron nodded. “Where they have them, yes. Part of the equipment.”

“Hmm.” DeChevilier considered. “Fifteen years. Public statement that you won’t even consider launching another military effort against the Periphery before 2791.”

“Unless they attack us,” the Director-General qualified. “Not just raids though. Actual invasion. I figure the other Lords can defend themselves against raids.”

“That fair. But I do have one other condition. Royal Command’s been a toxic factor in the SLDF for too long. I want it disbanded. If you have your own armed forces you don’t need it.”

Cameron rubbed his chin. “Given most of their divisions are disbanded… just do it in a face-saving way. Let them keep the name and so forth.”

“That I can do. But they’ll be broken up. No more Royal Divisions, just regiments inside the line divisions. No separate but parallel chains of command. And no more Hegemony exclusivity – they’ll get the best regardless of their origins.”

“Elite but egalitarian?” A pause for thought. “Very well, general. Let’s put this in writing.”

The Director-General’s staff went efficiently into action, a secretary taking notes on each point and then stepping outside to draw up a formal document for the two of them to review.

“While they’re working on that, can we talk warships?”

“My god, you are shameless!”

“I know you need all your active ships,” Cameron protested. “Your logistics hang on them. But there are scores of ships too badly damaged to be useful at the moment and some that just aren’t suited to that role. I can probably scrape together enough cash to buy some of those at scrap value and eventually repair them for service.”

“And yet you can’t afford the much smaller cost of divisional equipment?” asked DeChevilier. “Warships cost billions of dollars you know.”

“And I’m talking about scrap-rates. And not a huge fleet. I’m not trying to match the Lyran fleet or something like that.”

The general pushed his chair back and crossed his legs. “I have nothing to do but listen.”

“There are more than a dozen Carson-class destroyers waiting for repairs. They’re almost a hundred and fifty years old, they already needed major restoration for use against Amaris and the drives aren’t reliable enough for long-range operations. But for a defensive role around the Hegemony they’d be fine – they’ll never be out of reach of a shipyard in the core worlds of the Inner Sphere.”

“You might be optimistic about the state of the yards, a lot of them were damaged. And they’ve got good cargo bays for their size. Corvettes would be in less demand.”

“Older corvettes took heavy losses in the fighting. Vincents are still useful – but I can’t see you giving them up given that they do have decent cargo capacity. Ships like the Mako and Bonaventure are just targets now – something Robert Steiner doesn’t seem to have realised.” Cameron spoke with some confidence. “I’m thinking a few cruisers and the destroyers – call it eighteen ships. The equivalent of an SLDF squadron.”

“I heard you say cruisers but I’m not sure what cruisers you think we can do without.”

“Actually I meant the Kimagure-class pursuit cruisers. They’re even faster than a Caspar drone but their cargo bays are tiny compared to a heavy cruiser.”

“They can still carry dropships, can’t they?”

“All of two each. And the three waiting for repair are low on priority for dock-space because of that.” Cameron rose to his feet and turned to look out the window. “Just see what your people think their value would be. Eighteen – or even twelve – ships would give me a seed to work from.”

“And what do I say,” DeChevilier asked, “If the other House Lords offer to buy warships on the same terms?”

“As long as you’re abiding by the technology transfer laws – not giving them the most advanced ships – that’s your discretion, as I understand it. Given how little revenue we’re apparently getting out of the League and Combine, it might even be a worthwhile incentive to let the more co-operative of them buy up older vessels for restoration – within reason.”

“I’ll see what my staff have to say. Now what are your staff – ?”

The question cut off as a knock on the door heralded the return of the secretary with flimsies drafting what DeChevilier had started to think of as ‘the face saving exercise’.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2018, 01:03:31 by drakensis »

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #209 on: 29 March 2018, 06:24:29 »
I like his negotiating style.

Register