Author Topic: A question about stripping  (Read 1646 times)

invallid effort

• Sergeant
  • Sandy as in short for Sandoval, Yamanashi!!!
A question about stripping
« on: 09 February 2012, 21:40:39 »
So I need to strip paint off a mini I did some modding on with some Pro-sculpt(like the grey version of green stuff). I was going to use pinesol to do it but will that destroy the epoxy as well? And if so how should I go about removing it?

-IE-
"Fighting a Cauldron Born is a bit like fighting someone who shouts about lawn gnomes stealing their tea cozies, then punches you in the teeth."-Fallen_Raven

Nothing "frail" about tactical retreat

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
Re: A question about stripping
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2012, 22:59:44 »
A short soak should be fine. A long soak will make the putty kind of squidgy - I managed to do that to an un-painted part one time. Several weeks after it went missing I found it in my soaking jar. I still can't explain how it got there. Even then, the part was completely recognizable and intact, but didn't have the same firmness.

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Re: A question about stripping
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2012, 20:40:05 »
You can use Acetone for paint removal. It works quickly and can be done with an old large brush (don't use the brush for painting with acrylics again).

I've also used Gel-type paint strippers and an old toothbrush.

Both techniques work fast and will not damage epoxy putties when done quickly.
Wear gloves with either method (acetone is absorbed into your skin and sits in your liver and gel may cause chemical burns).
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

Register