Author Topic: Web Page Error Accruing once in a while  (Read 17885 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Web Page Error Accruing once in a while
« Reply #60 on: 02 August 2017, 04:12:21 »
Just got in for the first time since yesterday evening.  It was 504s from about 1900 EDT last night.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #61 on: 02 August 2017, 04:24:20 »
I just got in as well it had been acting up since around 9pm pst or earlier

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #62 on: 02 August 2017, 04:54:46 »
  [copper]
  A-hem.  Gentlefolk all, the Moderators and forum staff are well aware of the recent 504 problems — and believe me, they’re even more frustrating to us than they are to the general membership.
  That said, I would caution everyone to take a deep breath, keep a firm hold on their tempers, and please, be patient.  All possible efforts are being directed towards a solution, but in the meantime, hostile comments and flying off the handle will do no-one any good — least of all the poster(s) who might get hit with enforcement actions under Rules #1 or #3.
  / [copper]

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #63 on: 02 August 2017, 04:56:23 »
You still want us to report when we get the errors though, right?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 02 August 2017, 05:00:11 »
I just got in as well it had been acting up since around 9pm pst or earlier

Same here.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #65 on: 02 August 2017, 05:49:19 »
You don't suppose (this sounding stupid) that part of the computers that linking into the server are physically overheating and shutting down do guys think?  The server isn't connecting fully.  With my limited computer background, i remember sometimes depending where their stored. Could it be that the computer being used to link the internet maybe temporarily shutting down to overheating or something like that.  Way this seems to come and go, it kinda strikes me something like that behavior.  That or it's software that's corrupt.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 02 August 2017, 07:59:44 »
I just had the error from yesterday 4 pm mountain to 6:50 am mountain this morning.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #67 on: 02 August 2017, 08:12:25 »
That was intermittent with a lot of bad luck on your end.  The site was not unavailable that entire time.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 02 August 2017, 08:20:59 »
I'm in Central time zone, but I was experiencing the 504 fro roughly the same timeframe.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 02 August 2017, 08:42:20 »
There were 504 issues at various points during that time frame, yes, including one around 8 AM Eastern this morning. There were also people posting in this thread in that time frame.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #70 on: 02 August 2017, 09:09:52 »
You still want us to report when we get the errors though, right?

To be honest, and please don't take this wrong, but... nah. Others may disagree with me (Moonsword?), but from where I sit... we know the problem, it's just not something we have a lot we can do about at the moment but wave our hands at the web monkeys and shout "HAAAALP!" about.

The problem IS being looked into, and as was said above there's no one more frustrated with this than the forum staff, I can assure you. But for now, the best we can ask you for is patience, civility, and maybe a beer or two if you're so obliged. ;)

Now, one thing I AM noticing, as Moonsword just alluded to, is that while some people seem to be showing errors at one point in the day or another, others seem to be accessing the page at that point without any problem- I'm showing that Moonsword posted at 8:42 EST, for example, at a point when I was getting a 504 error. That's interesting to me- like it's less of a blackout of the page and more of a brownout, where some can get in but others can't. Maybe I'm wrong on that (known to happen on occasion), but it IS interesting.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 02 August 2017, 09:15:07 »
No problem, and thanks for the follow up.  I'll just grin and bear it until it's fixed.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 02 August 2017, 09:58:53 »
To be honest, and please don't take this wrong, but... nah. Others may disagree with me (Moonsword?), but from where I sit... we know the problem, it's just not something we have a lot we can do about at the moment but wave our hands at the web monkeys and shout "HAAAALP!" about.

The problem IS being looked into, and as was said above there's no one more frustrated with this than the forum staff, I can assure you. But for now, the best we can ask you for is patience, civility, and maybe a beer or two if you're so obliged. ;)

If recording our outage times isn't useful to you guys, I'll lay off it.

That was intermittent with a lot of bad luck on your end.  The site was not unavailable that entire time.

I don't doubt it. I certainly was only checking occasionally, and was asleep for 7 hours of that time. For all I know it was up for me the entire time I was asleep lol.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #73 on: 02 August 2017, 10:14:47 »
I can't speak to whether it's useful to guys who actually have some web capability like Moonsword here- just that they're aware of the problem (as we all are at this point), and that we ask that people remain calm about this. It's not a fun time for us either, as you probably can imagine.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 02 August 2017, 10:16:52 »
I've never run a website with the 504 issue before, but every site I have run has used apache.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 02 August 2017, 15:03:40 »
Now, one thing I AM noticing, as Moonsword just alluded to, is that while some people seem to be showing errors at one point in the day or another, others seem to be accessing the page at that point without any problem- I'm showing that Moonsword posted at 8:42 EST, for example, at a point when I was getting a 504 error. That's interesting to me- like it's less of a blackout of the page and more of a brownout, where some can get in but others can't. Maybe I'm wrong on that (known to happen on occasion), but it IS interesting.

That definitely sounds wonkey.  I've known it to RARELY happen before, but usually with overseas peeps accessing a stateside site, when some of the routers between their country and the US being down..  Or something like that..
But not from people IN the us having the capacity to access while others in the US not..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #76 on: 02 August 2017, 23:36:24 »
I was just figuring access to the forums were being rationed out.. 😉 I get my time in the yard with y'all for 1 hour every other day, maybe more if I behave myself, I'm happy. 😁

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #77 on: 02 August 2017, 23:37:37 »
Except the currency isn't cigarettes, it's minis ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #78 on: 03 August 2017, 05:52:33 »

Definitely sounds like a brownout analogue, or some form of access throttling, like a 'simultaneous usage limit' or something. Good luck!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 04 August 2017, 08:29:41 »
Odd...
I just did a couple of page reloads and got 502-Bad Gateway errors for a couple of minutes.
This was around 8:10 - 8:25am CDT or so.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #80 on: 04 August 2017, 08:52:41 »
Same here... I think the 502s are essentially the same as the 504s as far as troubleshooting goes, though.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 04 August 2017, 18:33:47 »
Definitely sounds like a brownout analogue, or some form of access throttling, like a 'simultaneous usage limit' or something. Good luck!

The problem with this is the fact that this is a low volume website, even if ALL of the catalyst websites use the same server. While most the websites I have run never hit more than 200 simultaneous users, I have never run across this kind of error even on much much busier sites run under a hosting service. The only usage limit I have seen is generally bandwidth throttling. That being mbps or a monthly cap.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 05 August 2017, 01:24:36 »
Take a look at https://asdqwe.net/blog/solutions-504-gateway it goes into the tweaks that typically fix the issue, but it reminds me ofor the old dos buffers and files tweaks that sometimes had to be done to get games to work.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #83 on: 06 August 2017, 06:16:55 »
I was cut off almost for 24 hours this time.  Someone poke the administrators, we need move this forums to another machine or something.  People will stop coming if this gets into multiple days....
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 06 August 2017, 06:19:34 »
As  per Wrangler - 24 hours no forum for me too. Mostly 504s,and a few 502s. but for the last couple of weeks I've been having issues on and off every day.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 06 August 2017, 06:41:36 »
All you can do - and all I can do, for that matter - is be patient and wait for this to get fixed.  As a reminder, our staff does not have access to the server, which means we have to wait until someone who does fixes this.  I agree that is taking a great deal of time but please be patient.  When there's some sort of substantive news, it will be shared.

We would also appreciate posters refraining from hyperbolic commentary on the server.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #86 on: 06 August 2017, 06:55:58 »
Sorry, Moonstone. I'm am worried and feel bit helpless.  As long were kept in the know that someone is actually fixing this.  It all i ever ask.  Thank You.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 06 August 2017, 07:24:17 »
I'm in about the same boat, although with more frustration than worry most of the time.  I wish I had something substantive to offer here but I don't.  That's frustrating and I know it doesn't do much to address anyone's concerns.  All I can say is the forum staff is not ignoring this.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #88 on: 10 August 2017, 18:34:18 »
FX: Loads a beer keg into the Mech Mortar, and lobs it in the direction of the Frustrated Forum Team camp. (Other beverages available, although not all might survive launch.)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #89 on: 10 August 2017, 19:07:15 »
Karben4 have a nice looking red ale called "Martian Sunshine". If any forum members can swing by Michigan before coming down my way ...

W O0
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"