Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Corona  (Read 14082 times)

sillybrit

• Major
Battle Armor of the Week - Corona
« on: 08 April 2012, 20:28:50 »
Corona Battle Armor - Technical Readout 3075 page 123

The Corona is a Heavy Battle Armor design that maybe not quite evoking a love-hate relationship among players, does often seem to divide opinions. With Assault-level mobility, deceptively evil firepower, and armor that appears better suited to a Medium design, the Corona can be a real killer if used well and I personally rate it as one of my favorite Clan designs..

First appearing in Combat Equipment, within the universe the Corona was actually one of the earlier Clan designs to enter service post-Invasion, and only its late publication makes it appear to be younger than it actually is. Development began in just June 3050, when the Clans were still punching their way into the Inner Sphere, with production beginning in 3060, just four years after the Gnome and in the same year as the Sylph. As described in Combat Equipment, and in its later publication in Technical Readout 3075, the Corona is the result of an in-house study by Clan Star Adder to develop a new style of Battle Armor.

It's worthwhile considering just how progressive the Star Adders were in their thinking. Despite not being an Invasion Clan with the direct experience of the new styles of fighting that would entail, their Khan and other Warriors recognized that the times were changing, and that the centuries old traditions of Clan warfare weren't going to last. The Clans in general were still basking in the glow of their early victories against the Inner Sphere, having collectively suffered few critical losses by the time the Corona project was begun, making the Adders' perception even more remarkable given that it was years before any other Clan thought about an Elemental replacement.

Intended to meet the Adder’s need for Battle Armor capable of prolonged ranged engagements, the Clan's Warriors and Scientists came up with a concept that discarded much of the Elemental's long held paradigm. The changes weren't without cost though, most notably the increase in chassis size that makes the Corona incapable of Anti-'Mech attacks, together with the loss of jump capability and weapon modularity.

Also appearing in Combat Equipment were new ProtoMechs, a recently introduced unit type that the Corona could be considered as a direct counter, and as an alternative within the Star Adders' ranks. The ProtoMech was also under development during the 3050s and while not directly mentioned in the Corona's write up, within the universe it's perhaps possible that the Corona's extended gestation was due to the Star Adders making adjustments to the design based upon what they may of heard about the Smoke Jaguar's research. However, the Jaguars were being very close lipped, so it's perhaps more likely that the Adders just lucked out, even if from a game perspective the Corona was very likely to have been designed with ProtoMechs at least partially in mind.

jymset: The front cover of Combat Equipment not only shows an archetypal battle between a Corona and a Chrysaor, but it's also a personifcation of the rivalry between the Adders and the Blood Spirits, who were a major early adoptee of ProtoMechs in the early 3060s.

The key feature of the Corona is its sole heavy armament, the incredibly impressive and equally incredibly heavy Medium Pulse Laser, which squats like a high-tech bazooka on the suit's right shoulder. Weighing in at no less than 800 kg, it means that the Corona devotes more than half its mass to killing its targets, leaving little remaining for other concerns. The laser is the heaviest weapon mounted on canon Battle Armor, and few other suits have spent so much mass to install just one weapon.

Despite the stunning imagery of the artwork - that shows a Corona proudly standing on a target that its laser has just turned into Swiss cheese - I've even found that some players view the design as under armed. The lack of a secondary 'Mech-scale weapon somehow short circuits their recognition of the threat imposed by the Medium Pulse Laser, particularly with the AP Gauss Rifle now available to set the standard, although a few pointed lessons on the receiving end of the Corona's firepower usually fixes that viewpoint. Quite simply, the combination of seven points of damage per hit, the -2 accuracy bonus and a twelve hex range is sheer murder, especially when compared to the other Battle Armor weapons available at the time.

In more recent years, while still obviously a powerful weapon, the Medium Pulse Laser's edge has indeed been eroded by the AP Gauss Rifle. Notably, the Ironhold (Fire) opted for four AP Gauss when it could have had the laser for the same total mass; such is the impact of the newer weapon. With only the right arm Anti-Personnel Weapon Mount as backup armament - typically loaded with a Mauser IIC by players using the actual stats of the mounted weapon - the standard Corona has perhaps lost some of its early impact, but it's a foolish player who discounts its effectiveness.

I must admit that my first glance at the Corona just took in the sub-par armor and I was not impressed, but then I looked again and then again. My verbal reaction at this point is unprintable and while I still wish that the design could receive a modern facelift to soften its jagged edges, within the first game it was quickly apparent that the Corona was a beast in combat, particularly against other Battle Armor.

Sadly for the Battle Armor fans, those early results just as quickly earmarked Corona units as key targets themselves and so their overall performance tended to follow peaks and troughs in my experience. When they're good, they're very, very good, but when they're bad, they're very, very bad. In the right terrain, or with the right support to distract the enemy, a well run Star of Coronas can easily turn a battle just by themselves, but when the fates are not kind or the opponent is just evil or paranoid, then you might as well have just fielded body bags.

Interestingly, I've been told that some players have just found the Corona to be too good, even leading to it being banned from campaigns. While my own groups never quite went that far, we did sometimes feel the need to compensate for what we considered an exploit that allowed all Heavy and Assault Battle Armor to get incredible Gunnery skills for a low total BV cost. The combination of super-Elite Gunnery and the Medium Pulse Laser can be stupidly overpowering, allowing Coronas to achieve ludicrous levels of accuracy against even the most swift and/or well concealed targets.

In purely Total War-based or very traditional Clan campaigns in particular, Coronas can again be what some might consider too effective, with Tactical Operations and relatively un-Clanlike units and tactics being needed to enable the introduction of some of the more effective counters. In Tournament-rules scenarios involving just 'Mechs, Battle Armor and optionally Aerospace Fighters - the traditional troop types for the majority of Clans - then well coordinated Coronas could indeed be overpowering.

As noted above, the Corona can be particularly lethal against other Battle Armor, something that can be a surprise to the inexperienced. The relatively low mobility and protection presents the image of an easy kill for other suits, such as the commonplace Elemental, while even the range advantage seems too small against Battle Armor armed with AP Gauss Rifles, SRMs and other nine hex range weapons. The Corona's big advantages in this area are their pulse accuracy bonus plus the seven-point damage that allows it to one- or two-hit many designs, which means a Point is more likely to get kills rather than just damaging multiple suits. So while the opponent may achieve hits on the Coronas, the latter are typically going to hit more often and will more quickly get killing shots rather than just wounding their foe. Most importantly for suits thinking about engaging the Corona, if you don't have at least seven points of armor, then you need to stay well away or you've effectively just committed suicide; so Light Battle Armor need not apply.

When fighting heavier opponents, like many suits the key to running Coronas well is getting them into position, and for that I'm glad that they're a Heavy Battle Armor design, even if they could have greatly improved stats by going up a weight class. As the Adders themselves found, being able to hitch a ride on a friendly Omni makes it much easier to drop them just where they're needed, whether it be backdooring an already engaged enemy or holding a vital location. I'd sometimes drive the 'Mech players on my teams to distraction with near constant requests and demands for a taxi, but the effort was almost always well worth it once those lasers started burning down the foe. That right there is likely to be the experience that has led some to ban or otherwise restrict the deployment of Coronas within their scenarios.

Without a readily available taxi service, life gets a lot more awkward for the Corona. Its lack of jump jets is crippling in many environments, whether due to its inability to traverse certain terrain or its slow pace and lack of Target Movement Modifier leaving it extremely vulnerable as it heads to the sounds of the guns. The Target Movement Modifier issue also comes up when its actually in combat, exacerbated even more by the relative lack of armor, a mere eight points, that means that it's both easier to hit than an Elemental and also easier to kill once hit. This issue is probably the biggest deal breaker for many players who might have otherwise been tempted by the Corona, with the knockout punch and glass jaw presenting a similar dilemma to that facing Suns players and the Grenadier Assault Battle Armor.

The Corona's extra ground Movement Point does give it above average mobility within buildings, thus making it a superb urban fighter and even more of a reason for Mechwarriors to consider cities to be wretched hives of scum and villainy. When not pounding on the prissy 'Mech jockeys and their treadhead sidekicks, infantrymen and Battle Armor troopers are still arguing as to who are the scum and who are the villains. Just like the aforementioned Grenadier, a Point of Coronas can be the worst - and perhaps the last - sight for a Mechwarrior as they walk through the wrong neighborhood. Many Corona players have their stories of downing such mighty prey as an Atlas or a Dire Wolf, although to be fair to the guys in the silly hats and stompy robots, that typically takes more than one turn.

While some might see urban combat as a little unClanlike, the ever pragmatic Star Adders apparently have no such qualms given the direction they've taken the Corona in the form of its sole variant. Dubbed the SRM Variant in recognition of its main weapon system, on the surface it does seem a strange about-face given that the original reasoning for the Corona was to overcome the endurance limitations of missiles as the main ranged armament for Battle Armor. Whatever their reasons for the change, the Corona (SRM) is one of those brutal little designs that somehow often gets overlooked by many players.

First seen within the universe in 3073 being used against Burrock troops disguised as Hell's Horses forces, and in Technical Readout 3075 as far as players are concerned, the SRM variant can be an even more dangerous close quarters combatant than the standard model. It loses some range and penetration, but in exchange it gains more firepower, including massively improved anti-infantry performance, plus more flexibility. The missiles can be used with standard warheads or Infernos, and the latter makes the Corona (SRM) an even more fearsome foe for other Battle Armor, while the additional weapons allow for multiple targets to be attacked effectively.

Dropping the Medium Pulse Laser, the variant adds no less than five SRM tubes mounted in a single launcher, although sadly these are fed by just three salvos. The latter can be uncomfortably low for large fights, and while the remaining armament is impressive, it doesn't match the capability of the laser. Fitted alongside the Anti-Personnel Weapon Mount is a Flamer, a longtime favorite for Clan armored infantryman, but it's the left arm weapon that's of the most interest in my opinion. The Heavy Recoilless Rifle can perhaps be considered a curiously old-fashioned choice for the high tech Clans, and compared to other possible choices it's not very efficient, but it is effective. Personally, in purely stat terms I would have preferred the Medium model, to allow more missiles to be loaded, but its inclusion is a refreshing change given how rarely the weapon appears.

The Corona (SRM) makes the comparison to the Grenadier even more striking, particularly the Hunter-Killer variant. While the Corona lacks the stealth capability of the Inner Sphere suit due to the cultural preferences of the Clan Warrior caste, it's a testament to the superiority of Clan technology that such similar performance has been achieved on a chassis three-quarters the size. Able to whomp a target with a hefty sixteen points of damage per suit including the anti-personnel weapon, if the dice gods are kind, that can mean an astounding eighty points of damage spread across thirty-eight hits - death by a thousand cuts, indeed.

Sadly, the Corona has yet to see any further upgrades to incorporate the new systems and weapons that have been developed in the quarter century since it was first fielded. I do wonder whether that at least in part is due to its origin with a Homeworld Clan, given that the game universe is mostly Inner Sphere centric. Although mostly found within the Adders' Touman, where they built up large numbers before allowing the design to slip beyond their control, the standard Corona is now considered a general Clan design, however I don't expect that will have any impact.

The Corona is not being built by any of the Clans currently left in the Inner Sphere, and is notably missing from their RATs in Field Manual 3085, despite being rated with a Clan general distribution. Thus there's little hope that the more varied experiences they encounter will lead to yet more models of the Corona, and the Homeworlds are something of an afterthought to the main story line, so I doubt we'll see anything from that direction either.

jymset: While RATs aren't completely reliable that way, there's a very good reason why there's not a single Corona on the FM85 tables. It's absolutely Dodo in the Inner Sphere, with nothing signficant seen of it, ever. It's effectively dead for the Inner Sphere-centric universe.

The Corona doesn't suit every player's taste and playing style, and given that experienced opponents will both know how to counter it and often make it a priority target, it can sometimes be a frustrating suit to use even for those who favor it. Like with many designs that come with caveats, whether Battle Armor or other unit types, it's best used in moderation. If you're going to be playing a game that suits its strengths, then field it to your heart's content, but otherwise pick it as an occasional unit or only make it a fraction of your selection. Capable of awesome feats, but all too often so very vulnerable, the Corona truly is a star that burns brightly.

Next up:
  • Trinity
  • Phalanx
  • Golem

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Corona
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2012, 23:42:11 »
i for one love the thing, most evil thing i ever do with it is sprint with a bunch of fast mediums with 2 stars of them into the middle of the enemy and drop them off  >:D }:)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2012, 00:13:43 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h_U9TmRgFQ

Yep, this suit is all about the gun. I have to say that my local group is one that has banned the Corona, mainly because few people can be bothered to work out how to deal with them.

Ultimately many are done in by the silly idea that like should fight like. At the end of the day hit it with 'Mech scale weapons. Alternatively, infernos are fun.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2012, 17:39:41 by Jellico »

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2012, 03:14:21 »
Great armor but I actually don't prefer it.  I like to use the Elemental and Sylph the most...
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2012, 06:32:57 »
Used a point of these little buggers in an urban combat game recently. Dropped 'em off with an APC and had them hole up in a heavy building and spend their days melting mechs into the pavement. Those guys got more kills then my stupidly unlucky Mad Cat. Good times.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Nemesis

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2012, 09:56:47 »
I've always been an Adder fan, so I should like them, but I just can't. They're too slow to be used offensively, and even the emphasis on firepower is lacking when you realize that the cluster rules mean on average only 3 MPL are shooting at any given time, which is a very poor amount of damage for the insanely high BV.

The only role I'd use them in is as a guard for stationary long range units. Hide them behind a hill and have them pop up as soon as an enemy gets close enough. I'd much rather have 2 squads of Rabids for the same price.
Star Adder, Star Adder, he drives a pitch black Mech
Star Adder, Star Adder, with Heavy Laser tech

(with apologies to Rowan Atkinson)

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2012, 10:38:23 »
I actualy quite like them.  No, they're not fast, but no BA is truely fast (even the Slyph can only move 5 hexes, which is positively slothful).  But, if you've got a few assualt mechs plodding along with their 3 walk MP, keeping up is no problem.  And, they have what few other BA have, range, which means they really don't need to be fast, at least to a degree. 

Given their pulse lasers, and their BA nature which negates movement penalties, Coronas can be very accurate, so using them as guards to fend off fast movers (a Fire Moth will find thouse three MPL hits terrafying).  I also sometimes stick some with my comparitively leaner assualts like Savage Coyotes (not really a canon pairing, but one that comes up anyway) or Blood Asps as a bit of extra cover to keep foes from getting too close.

The key problem with Coronas is that unlike Golems or Gnomes or many other 'super suits' its armor is fairly lame.  The 'text book' answer that I see given is usualy to use LRMs, which with their five point clusters will rain death amoung a Corona point, but all the 10 point guns will do too.  While true for all BA, you really have to keep your Coronas in terrain where they can shoot back and take cover if they can't or they're over matched.  If someone wants to come into SRM range and try to just slug it out, I'm content to let them, and trust in my power, but if there's LOS past 12 hexes it can be trouble when your powerful expensive BA gets ripped up. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2012, 11:39:58 »
While I have never played them in combat, and only rarely faced them, I have to admit that the Corona was one of the two in universe and out of universe inspirations for the Kopis. The firepower of the Corona and it's ability to maintain it was just what was needed at the time it was introduced.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2012, 12:14:43 »
Dunno, in a way too cheesy in my humble opinion.
I fought with and against Corona's and killed quite a lot with ERLL and other 10 pointers. But the CMPL is murderous... especially mounted on a battlesuit.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2012, 17:24:55 »
Using the CMPL has one advantage: range, it's long range can keep you out of AP Gauss or SRM range, given that SRM's can fire inferno's that's probably good

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 09 April 2012, 17:51:09 »
The most infamous example of Coronas in my group consisted of a mixed Star of Riflemen IICs and Coronas. Consider for a moment everyone's favourite pulse boat gaining 10 tons of MPL for the cost of 7 tons. Then consider how to defeat a Rifleman IIC. Get into a sniper war with a pulse boat or try and close with firepower equivalent of a Nova.

In the end the Corona is all about choice. Forcing choice on your enemy.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 April 2012, 17:54:35 »
I think the lack of mobility and lack of armor really kills this design. I think that they can be useful in a city fight, but at the same time the fact that BA can't even fire the turn they disembark from a transport means that you have to drop them off completely out of LoS for them to have a chance to be able to fire once, and then they don't have the mobility to jump over buildings to establish LoS for themselves, though of course moving *into* buildings is a pretty viable tactic, again, they can't even do that until they've been sitting with their underwear blowing in the wind for at least one turn.

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #12 on: 09 April 2012, 18:02:11 »
I think the lack of mobility and lack of armor really kills this design. I think that they can be useful in a city fight, but at the same time the fact that BA can't even fire the turn they disembark from a transport means that you have to drop them off completely out of LoS for them to have a chance to be able to fire once, and then they don't have the mobility to jump over buildings to establish LoS for themselves, though of course moving *into* buildings is a pretty viable tactic, again, they can't even do that until they've been sitting with their underwear blowing in the wind for at least one turn.

This just reinforces the specialist nature of the battlesuit: cover is life. ambush, not standup fights.
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2012, 18:09:21 »
This just reinforces the specialist nature of the battlesuit: cover is life. ambush, not standup fights.

Not a lot of people play with the Hidden Units rules that make ambush tactics useful, however. If I see coronas parked in a building hex, I am going to simply try to level the building hex from afar.

jymset

• Infinita Navitas & RecGuide Developer
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant
  • the one and only
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2012, 18:31:08 »
But then if BA can force the enemy to spend some time demolishing what will probably be a fairly solid building, that's at least a partial success in the scheme of things, right?

Assuming the Corona isn't the only asset of the user's side, that is.
On CGL writing: Caught between a writer's block and a Herb place. (cray)

Nicest writing compliment ever: I know [redacted] doesn't like continuity porn, but I do, and you sir, write some great continuity porn! (MadCapellan)

3055 rocks! Did so when I was a n00b, does so now.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 09 April 2012, 18:32:20 »
But then if BA can force the enemy to spend some time demolishing what will probably be a fairly solid building, that's at least a partial success in the scheme of things, right?

Assuming the Corona isn't the only asset of the user's side, that is.

It depends on the specific scenario and on how much of the player's resources are dedicated to the point of BA.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #16 on: 09 April 2012, 18:53:41 »
These things are like a Grenadier suit but w/ Omni-Mobile capability.
Just a brutal brutal ambush & area denial suit.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 09 April 2012, 20:43:34 »

You don't even need buildings. Put them behind partial around your fire support's legs then dare your enemy to close in. As has been said above, these suits are about area denial. They are a relatively cheap way of telling people to stay away.

*Getting way off topic, this reminds me of the argument about secondary weapons on dreadnaughts. Is it better to put the defensive secondary weapons on the dreadnaught or on the escorting destroyer? Same deal here. Do you go Longbow 12C and bring an escort or Longbow 7V on compromise your primary role?

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #18 on: 10 April 2012, 10:41:47 »
Exactly.  BA are pretty easy to hide, since they can occupie the same hex as a mech or tank or other BA, and are only one hex tall. 

In the best case, you can bring them in to aid a mech with much of its armor blown off by long ranged fire right as the enemy closes in for the kill.  Do you take shots at the Dire Wolf with 3 points of armor left on each torso section, and let the Corona rip you up with the MPLs, or do you shoot the Dire Wolf, and it let rip you up with its vast array of other guns?  I had someone pull that with a Warhammer IIC once, and despite having the upper hand on the Whammy I was forced to just run like hell rather than face down ten MPLs, and the Whammy got away.

No, that wouldn't work if zell was in effect (it wasn't, for many IC reasons) but if it was, Coronas are still tough kills because only the top BA can match their range, and none of them do it with lasers so they can't match the endurance.  Something like a Gnome just has to hope enough SRMs connect on the two vollys it gets that it can make it into ER SL range with out too much hurt, and that's long odds even for a suit with 14+1 points of armor.  Yes, a Corona fighting mechs craves cover, but when they fight other BA they want open space, because they're pretty much the Warhawks of the BA world; maybe not the most armor, but lots of power and range.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 10 April 2012, 12:31:22 »
As I see it, the Corona have a BA scaled 'Bubble of Doom' 25 hexes wide and have a credible chance of forcing a PSR anywhere within it.  Is Clan BA gunnery skills a 3 or 4 at regular?  That works out to 6 plus terrain and target movement modifiers, assuming a base gunnery of 4.  So all you need to do is keep those sight lines down to 12 or less and now the enemy has to step in your reach to swat you.  Unless they bring artillery to the party and decide your Coronas are worth a few rounds to take out.

va_wanderer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 12 April 2012, 13:33:48 »
Coronas are also one of those "nightmare scenarios" for having a unit dropped into the middle of static fortifications. They melt through walls horribly quickly and gawd help anything that tries to get them out, and can slag most buildings in under a minute of fire.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 25 January 2013, 02:43:04 »
The Corona isn't a normal BA, relaying on not getting hit by jumping for a highish TMM, but rather it relies on not getting hit by digging in in forested terrain for a +4 to-hit modifier, if you can arrange for the hex to be fortified, pushing that modifier up to +6, that's just gravey

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #22 on: 25 January 2013, 16:35:55 »
Assuming you're actually using any of those optional rules, that's one option.  It also makes you a sitting duck for anyone with AE weapons.

wellspring

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 25 January 2013, 17:01:10 »
The Corona isn't a normal BA, relaying on not getting hit by jumping for a highish TMM, but rather it relies on not getting hit by digging in in forested terrain for a +4 to-hit modifier, if you can arrange for the hex to be fortified, pushing that modifier up to +6, that's just gravey

You know, there are certain threads of legend that I'd love to have been around to comment in, but my own squeamishness about thread necromancy kept me from jumping in. This is one of them (the Salamander article is another... hint, hint). So thank you very much for re-opening this!

I think that part of the trick is seeing the Corona as part of a combat system. Extreme example: strap a Point of Coronas onto a Fire Moth, and you have the mech carrying 150% of its pod space and half its overall tonnage in CMPLs. And that's before you count the Fire Moth's own weapons.

Or, better yet, use the mechs you'd be fielding already. That's where the decision to make this a Heavy pays off-- you gain mech-like mobility and can use the Omnis you're fielding already rather than a dedicated and expensive (BV, cash, support, personnel) APC. Sillybrit made the point, but it really has to be emphasized how you can keep shuffling the deck. This design really rewards a dynamic style.

It also speaks to the way the Star Adders operate on a whole different clock from everyone else. They fielded their first Inner Sphere style unit (Kappa Galaxy) back in the days of the Dragoons, and spent decades refining their counter-tactics and learning the lessons. With their excellent (by clan standards) intelligence service, I wouldn't be at all surprised that they knew about protos a decade before the Jaguar Khans did. Even if they hadn't, though, they seem tailor-made to blow away 3025-era IS medium workhorses by sheer firepower. Forget the economics of protos; down a 35 ton Panther with 7.5 tons of battle armor firing 10 tons of CMPLs while your heavies grind down the rest.

And, remember, all this is from a Clan reputed for its underuse of infantry. The Adders are conserative, but they are also pragmatic and flexible.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #24 on: 25 January 2013, 17:10:59 »
We don't have a thread necromancy policy.  If you want to comment on an old article, just make the comment as long as it's relevant and contributes to the thread.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2013, 20:39:14 »
Its certainly my favorite battle armor ::)

The Elemental is still better but yeeesh I bet the Adders did some damage with these during the WoR.  This thing has total warfare without honor rules written all over it.

To the patient go the spoils

wellspring

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 25 January 2013, 22:11:13 »
We don't have a thread necromancy policy.  If you want to comment on an old article, just make the comment as long as it's relevant and contributes to the thread.

Yeah, it just feels icky. Funny how customs develop over time. I think the policy here is enlightened, it's just not what I'm used to.

Its certainly my favorite battle armor ::)

The Elemental is still better but yeeesh I bet the Adders did some damage with these during the WoR.  This thing has total warfare without honor rules written all over it.

It's probably second after the Salamander in my book, but a close second. What rocks is that (much like the salamander) it's good in a variety of roles despite having the appearance of being a specialist design. A Point of them in a mixed Star seems like it's made of win.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 25 January 2013, 22:29:41 »
Its a fairly well-designed BA.  Can't be OSK'd by Clan medium lasers, ground MP is fair.  Still, its fairly easy to reduce the Point to 2 or 3 suits and let follow up forces deal with them.  I think its a fantastic design, straddling the line between very good and excellent, as its deadly and fun but not impossible to kill.  And much as its useful defensively, it begs to be used offensively.  Bolstering light and medium mech Stars is where this suit works best.  And its big leg up is that it can be used for mechanised units. 

The variant is not quite as good, as it could use another reload for the missiles, but again, excellent when paired with mechs, but this time, probably hole puncher designs.  Let the BA critseek and finish off crippled opponents.

The Corona is really well balanced without being over balanced, and I really like it. 

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 26 January 2013, 00:41:20 »
Hey Moonsword, do you know how the specialist infantry rules interact with the squad deployment rules? Because you could carry a point(squad) of these guys and a point(squad) of Combat Engineers (Trach/fieldworks) in a heavy APC (or simply house rule the Corona to use those rules)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #29 on: 26 January 2013, 03:40:47 »
i'm surprised that the obvious variant of this design was never explored, even in fluff. drop that big Pulse laser for an ER model. you'd not lose much in the way of firepower, and the extra range would offset the slower speeds a bit.

i suspect though it was never suggested in the fluff because, from a design perspective, it would border on being overly optimized.