Author Topic: Modifiers for VTOL's  (Read 1964 times)

Kell

• Corporal
Modifiers for VTOL's
« on: 28 August 2019, 15:05:31 »
I am trying to find the rules for working up a To-Hit number for shooting at VTOL's. This is what I can gather. Skill+VTOL TMM + range to base + range of elevation + terrain (if any) + 1 for airborne unit.    Does that sound right?

jshdncn

• Corporal
Re: Modifiers for VTOL's
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2019, 16:46:01 »
VTOLs are considered ground units and therefore elevation is not a factor in determining range, only LOS.

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2019, 13:20:35 »
So only when VTOL's are doing strafing and bombing runs do you count altitude as an additional modifier?

Dissolv

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2019, 14:27:00 »
VTOL's are ground units that fly.  NAP, not altitude attacks. 

They do not strafe -- they move and make a normal attack like a mech or a tank -- just a little faster and more "ignore terrain-y".  The bomb thing is a bit more interesting to me.  Did you find a VTOL with bombs?

Thunder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2019, 04:48:16 »
Oddly, VTOL strafing is both a thing, and has better rule support then VTOL bombing.  Problem is that VTOL's don't have a Bomb special ability in the MUL.  It should be there, but no one thought about it when making up the lists.  In general, VTOL's 5 to 29 tons have BOMB 1,  30 to 54 ton VTOL's have BOMB 2, 55 to 60 tons have BOMB 3.  Super heavy weight classes were included because there are a few stock super heavy VTOLs.   And if I were to simplify to Alpha strike levels.  Combat Vehicle VTOL's have a bomb rating equal to their size.  Slightly inaccurate, but details.

And yes,  If a VTOL strafes or Bombs, any units in its attack's AOE fire back at it as though it were an aerospace fighter using its elevation as the range.  (Course the VTOL also uses its elevation as it's range to target.  Not certain if the strafing and bombing modifiers would be added to the range when figuring out the attacker's to hit number.  Its less then clear, but probably.)  Of course a unit that is just outside the attack area gets to ignore the elevation and just use the range to the VTOL's location at the end of its movement.