Author Topic: Has Any One Used the Locust 1M?  (Read 2133 times)

Cat

• Corporal
    • Goblinhall
Has Any One Used the Locust 1M?
« on: 06 October 2019, 10:22:14 »
I'm in the process of putting the polishing touches on my SW battalions before diving into the work of setting up control sheets for the lances and companies.  I could tweak one or two of the Fedrat Locusts to include the LCT-1M version.

But.... 21 PV to drop down to a single point of armour, eeek!  The increased range and IF looks like a fun variant, but that seems like a steep PV for a suicide mech.

Has anyone actually used these in games, any reports on their viability compared to the 1V and 3V which are my standard types?

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1899/locust-lct-1m

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
Re: Has Any One Used the Locust 1M?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2019, 13:37:41 »
I would use the 1M as an indirect fire harassment force. A lance of 4 could rain down an IF4 on a target from behind buildings or woods but could remain fast enough to avoid hunter killer style lances. But I would not use it in direct combat.
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Cat

• Corporal
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2019, 21:27:05 »
I would use the 1M as an indirect fire harassment force. A lance of 4 could rain down an IF4 on a target from behind buildings or woods but could remain fast enough to avoid hunter killer style lances. But I would not use it in direct combat.

Hmm, they could do that.  But since this battalion already has a full company of 12 Valkyries (VLK-QA, 22PV each) for the rain of fire tasks, and healthy enough to engage directly when called for, I'll probably pass on adding any LCT-1Ms at 21PV.

Dissolv

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2019, 07:48:08 »
Locust would be the spotter for the Valkyries.  Run as a reinforced company, a lance of lights, like the Locust, could hover at long range and call down the indirect fire quite safely.

TMM 3 + long range 4 + cover 1 + average pilot skill 4 = 12.  That's pretty safe.

If the enemy charges in, then the Valks fight, while the Locusts try to get completely to the rear of the enemy.  If the enemy has heavier long range units, like a company with 2 fire Lance's, assault class mechs like Awesomes or Longbows,  then bag it. 

Cat

• Corporal
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2019, 11:20:34 »
Hmm, utilising mechs on hand and keeping the total battalion PV stable (both key criteria), I could form a lance with 2–3 Locust-1Ms and 1–2 Clints.  Even on their own, the Clint could spot for the Locusts, and otherwise provide security for them.