Author Topic: Thrift shop find - instant city!  (Read 3389 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Thrift shop find - instant city!
« on: 04 November 2018, 03:19:48 »
So we're taking some donations to a non-local op shop (short for opportunity shop, equivalent to US "thrift shop"). Has to be non-local, so my wife won't change her mind & buy things back ...

Anyway, I see this set of Lego road plates for $10, and thinks "I might find a use for that". And I did.

Seen here with some of the foam-core buildings I've already made up. Pretty good fit, no? A couple more - Buckingham Palace, the Empire State building, and a cathedral, plus some DropZone Commander buildings, and I'll have a pretty good city layout to do my first game of Alpha Strike in!

Seen here, a Word of Blake Militia Level II moves cautiously into the Embassy District in the International Zone of Solaris City. Unknown to them, a band of resistance fighters from different stables are waiting to ambush them in the shadow of the Steiner Embassy ...

A bit of fun! Looks like I a great deal, some great inspiration, and I'll keep my eyes open. With different dressing/buildings, I reckon I could come up with a good drop-port too!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
Re: Thrift shop find - instant city!
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2018, 11:20:09 »
Excellent find, Worktroll! My gaming group has been using similar lego plates for our city fights and they work great. Happy gaming!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2018, 13:12:00 »
That looks quite awesome there WT.  Great idea and find! :thumbsup: 

And I think you are going to enjoy Alpha Strike.  It should be right up your alley. ;)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2018, 19:28:17 »
Glad I'm not the only one to buy those foam buildings from the rama of dollar.
Honor is Bulletproof

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2018, 15:16:18 »
I have Big Ben that way . . . but what is the brown one the Lyrans are hiding next to?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2018, 16:27:17 »
St Peter's Basilica, Rome.

I figured the Lyrans would go for something understated ... ;)

And as for the Marik embassy:

Now I'd love it if Cubicfun (the company making a lot of these) would do "ordinary buildings", but may have to hit up for some DropZone Commander sets. They've got a range of stadiums that could double as 'Mech bays, Solaris Arenas, or drop port buildings:

And some skyscrapers for that City feel

And Bob is your gene-father's brother!
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2018, 16:32:27 »
Hm, not the same company but . . . yeah, that looked really familiar though I was thinking Venice for some reason.

The Taipei tower looks interesting, guess I will need to add that to my Christmas list.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2018, 10:19:25 »
You know those LEGO studs might be a great way to pin down a string for line of sight calculations. And I imagine making light/heavy woods is going to be a lot easier now since LEGO makes one-piece trees.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2018, 10:49:35 »
They made 1 pieces since the 80s IIRC . . . now, those street plates are from that time as well IIRC.
Colt Ward

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2018, 21:33:47 »
St Peter's Basilica, Rome.

I figured the Lyrans would go for something understated ... ;)

And as for the Marik embassy:

Oooh that looks interesting...
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2018, 21:34:42 »
They made 1 pieces since the 80s IIRC . . . now, those street plates are from that time as well IIRC.

They’re the newer City series. The 80s road plates were a lighter grey. The good news is you can get what WT has reliably instead of hoping to price something together on eBay

« Last Edit: 09 November 2018, 21:37:26 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2018, 22:33:20 »
Huh, I could never find them as a kid and only saw them in the big City/Space/Castle book from the early 80s I had that gave instructions . . . you know, way back before they made horses.

I DO thank you for the CubicFun reminder WT, it let me add some easy stuff to my Christmas list and I hope its some stuff I can build as the kid watches- he is too young to help.  He has watched me build styrofoam buildings for terrain already, lol.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2018, 12:44:27 »
worktroll, have you built buildings out of both the C and MC series?  How different are they for you to put together?
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2018, 19:27:25 »
I've only done the MC series - they scale well enough to BT.

The C are smaller, but might work. The S look too tiny.

The MC series can be fiddly, and there are lots of pieces, but once you're in the groove they're fine.

W

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2018, 19:41:23 »
I have a C-series Big Ben and have plopped it down on the table once . . . I think I will stick with the C series to keep them in scale.  I am working on being able to put together a 6x8 board using 1.75" hexes and trying to get it for a good urban set up.
Colt Ward

Register