Author Topic: How hard is it to get a custom Omni config in the IS?  (Read 11840 times)

RifleMech

• Major
Re: How hard is it to get a custom Omni config in the IS?
« Reply #30 on: 24 March 2019, 02:41:34 »
That and there is a way to customize OMNIs.  :)

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2019, 21:33:23 »
Money. If you have enough of it, just about anything is available.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2019, 07:28:46 »
Money. If you have enough of it, just about anything is available.

Fine, if you want to take all the rules lawyering, mental gymnastics and vitriol out of the situation, be that way!   :)
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 25 June 2019, 23:06:58 »
i keep getting conflicting info.

what can you do with the fixed equipment of a omni that has such ie the fixed medium lasers of a avatar or the fixed flamer of the adder/puma?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #34 on: 25 June 2019, 23:13:46 »
New errata lets you mod it without letting out the Omni smoke. Check out the newest strategic ops customization errata document page 2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejlnf6q9ng3owck/StratOps%20-%20Refitting%20Revised-Final.pdf?dl=0

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 26 June 2019, 12:09:11 »
That is interesting, and overall the new changes to refits (like making CASE a maintenance facility thing) are good.

I don't really agree with that Omni procedure... though then again it is logical:

What happens is that a factory essentially makes one unique OmniMech. The Omni is modified, the gyro is recalibrated to work with the now modified chassis, and things are tested and confirmed working.

As for why not just modify existing factory lines (eg Avatar), usually it is not worth it. The Avatar's twin medium lasers aren't really waste ever. The flamer on the Adder is inconsequential.

Also since folks were talking about the Perseus, it has no Ferro-Fibrous.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #36 on: 26 June 2019, 13:24:12 »

So now it is possible to add DHS to the Strider Omnimech.  >:D
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 26 June 2019, 13:50:46 »
Man I feel weird about starting that whole mess.

I guess now the Hellbringer has even less excuse than Big Brass Falcon Balls to be the way it is...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 26 June 2019, 14:08:14 »
I'll repeat: Modifying existing factory lines is not really feasible. Some changes are big (eg rebuilding Hellbringers with Endo-Steel), some are small enough not to be worth it (replaced the Avatar's Medium Lasers).
Hellbringer 2 could have been made anytime before, it was never done because it wasn't worth it. EDIT The original Hellbringer is presumably in production because 1) Clanners really like firepower 2) It is pretty resource inexpensive, only needing XLFEs. Given that Clanners spend 'Mechs in duels like crazy, not having to deal with Endo-Steel or Ferro-Fibrous is economical.

Modifying an individual 'Mech in a factory? Possible, if you can spare the time and expense. But honestly, i don't think it is worth it. I sure as hell would rather get another 'Mech than spend time and resources rebuilding a Hellbringer with Endo-Steel. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it is smart.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 26 June 2019, 14:37:22 »
Also remember, its a meta rule in a book that is filled with other optional rules.  So if you are planning a universe spanning campaign and do not want to have Omnis where a base chassis can change?  well presto! it cannot change.

The biggest benefit I can think of- since I argued it some- is that it gives a bit more life for Celestials, a frail that wants to take on that stigma can get rid of the small cockpit.  Oh and swap those MLs for ERMLs on the Avatar . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 26 June 2019, 14:48:50 »
I'll repeat: Modifying existing factory lines is not really feasible. Some changes are big (eg rebuilding Hellbringers with Endo-Steel), some are small enough not to be worth it (replaced the Avatar's Medium Lasers).
Hellbringer 2 could have been made anytime before, it was never done because it wasn't worth it. EDIT The original Hellbringer is presumably in production because 1) Clanners really like firepower 2) It is pretty resource inexpensive, only needing XLFEs. Given that Clanners spend 'Mechs in duels like crazy, not having to deal with Endo-Steel or Ferro-Fibrous is economical.

Modifying an individual 'Mech in a factory? Possible, if you can spare the time and expense. But honestly, i don't think it is worth it. I sure as hell would rather get another 'Mech than spend time and resources rebuilding a Hellbringer with Endo-Steel. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it is smart.

We have cannon examples.  Stone's forces captured the production lines AND the technical data packages for the Bolla Stealth Tank. Thus, we get the RoTS Bolla, with C3, a 4 ton troop bay and more pod space.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 26 June 2019, 15:09:42 »
We have cannon examples.  Stone's forces captured the production lines AND the technical data packages for the Bolla Stealth Tank. Thus, we get the RoTS Bolla, with C3, a 4 ton troop bay and more pod space.
The Bolla is an extremely rare exception, and done because Stone evidently really wanted a stealth tank for his spec op forces, plus his forces neatly had the plans and the factory. Most of the Blakist special gear (eg Celestials) got destroyed.

If we ever hear of the Homeworld Clans, we might get another exception: The Osteon. The TWOR supplemental notes that it is being investigated for continued production if the Nova CEWS can be removed, but the writeup notes that it is rather integrated into the chassis so the 'Mech is banned for now...

I will note that in-universe, modifying a 'Mech may not be as simple as rules make it. Consider the Avatar: with BMM, it gained perk "Stabilized Weapon (CT medium lasers)". So, the weapons are in stabilized mounts. Rules-wise, upgrading them is simple factory job. In-universe... well, are ER Medium Lasers identical to standard lasers? It might be that the mounts would need to be modified to fit ER types there, and that might require other modifications, causing a cascade of modifications, and everything needs to be tested. Might not be worth it.
Likewise, the Osteon. Rules-wise, removing the Nova CEWS is simple, in-universe evidently not so.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 26 June 2019, 15:23:56 »
Did the errata un-'fix' all the IS Omni's CASE?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 26 June 2019, 15:26:17 »
Did the errata un-'fix' all the IS Omni's CASE?
All it does is allow customizing Omnis with the rules in StratOps.
I highly doubt errata will be issued for record sheets.

The CASE could be removed with those rules though, but why bother? Half a ton only, it is useful, most 'Mechs with make good use of it.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 26 June 2019, 20:38:12 »
The Bolla is an extremely rare exception, and done because Stone evidently really wanted a stealth tank for his spec op forces, plus his forces neatly had the plans and the factory. Most of the Blakist special gear (eg Celestials) got destroyed.

If we ever hear of the Homeworld Clans, we might get another exception: The Osteon. The TWOR supplemental notes that it is being investigated for continued production if the Nova CEWS can be removed, but the writeup notes that it is rather integrated into the chassis so the 'Mech is banned for now...

I will note that in-universe, modifying a 'Mech may not be as simple as rules make it. Consider the Avatar: with BMM, it gained perk "Stabilized Weapon (CT medium lasers)". So, the weapons are in stabilized mounts. Rules-wise, upgrading them is simple factory job. In-universe... well, are ER Medium Lasers identical to standard lasers? It might be that the mounts would need to be modified to fit ER types there, and that might require other modifications, causing a cascade of modifications, and everything needs to be tested. Might not be worth it.
Likewise, the Osteon. Rules-wise, removing the Nova CEWS is simple, in-universe evidently not so.

The Osteon can be "fixed" with a software patch that disables the target sharing features.  Either that or just "By order of the Grand Council, any surats who use the target sharing feature shall be Reaved." 

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 26 June 2019, 21:28:48 »
The Osteon can be "fixed" with a software patch that disables the target sharing features.  Either that or just "By order of the Grand Council, any surats who use the target sharing feature shall be Reaved."
Were it so simple, they would've done it.
"the extensive integration of the CEWS prohibits immediate modifications"
I'd say this implies the Nova CEWS isn't just a component, it is fully part of the 'Mechs targeting and tracking systems, fire control computers, sensors, etc.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 27 June 2019, 08:21:32 »
Were it so simple, they would've done it.
"the extensive integration of the CEWS prohibits immediate modifications"
I'd say this implies the Nova CEWS isn't just a component, it is fully part of the 'Mechs targeting and tracking systems, fire control computers, sensors, etc.
:facepalm: The dangers of revising a post too many times. 

I mean tot suggest that software patch could disable the controls.  That's operating on the assumption that omni cockpits are all about the MFD and configurable touchscreens.  In that case, comment out the line of software that says Button 7 maps to SYNC_NOVA_TARGDAT($FRIENDLY), or whatever.

There's also the procedural fix.  "I am an honorable warrior! I vow I shall NEVER use that dishonorable button!"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 27 June 2019, 09:54:34 »
I figure BattleMechs are heavily automated (they do have only one crew after all), with sensor fusion and all that stuff. So a procedural fix might not be enough, and software fix is just as complex (contrast to real world fighters where software is enormous part of how stuff functions and of development expenses).

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #48 on: 27 June 2019, 11:04:10 »

This also assumes that other warriors will trust others to not use the link.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #49 on: 27 June 2019, 12:34:17 »
Or the Clans could just avoid deploying multiple Osteons at one time.

But of course this thread was about omnimechs in the Inner Sphere and the Osteon really doesn't count for that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #50 on: 27 June 2019, 13:34:17 »
Hm, list time . . . what base chassis would be candidates for mods?

Celestials- C3i & Small Cockpit
Firestarter-  2 Flamers
Men Shen- BAP

Avalanche-  jumpjets & CASE
Gauntlet-  MASC
Vandal-  Supercharger
Doloire-  Avatar's problem on steroids, Clan ERML in the CT
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 27 June 2019, 13:41:38 »
I don't know that I'd count a pair of fixed Clan ER Medium Lasers as a "problem."

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #52 on: 27 June 2019, 14:00:21 »
Which is why I said steroids, the ML was a solid fixed choice at that time but the point about Omnis is being able to swap the load.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #53 on: 27 June 2019, 14:19:38 »
Anything with fixed sinks or jump jets

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 27 June 2019, 15:39:24 »
Hm, list time . . . what base chassis would be candidates for mods?

Celestials- C3i & Small Cockpit
Firestarter-  2 Flamers
Men Shen- BAP

Avalanche-  jumpjets & CASE
Gauntlet-  MASC
Vandal-  Supercharger
Doloire-  Avatar's problem on steroids, Clan ERML in the CT
No mention of the Owens?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #55 on: 27 June 2019, 15:44:23 »
Strider is the one that suffers more for the SHS IMO, but yeah I was so focused on the Raptor that I forgot those two lights.  New there was something with the originals I was forgetting.
Colt Ward

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 28 June 2019, 10:08:01 »
Strider is the one that suffers more for the SHS IMO, but yeah I was so focused on the Raptor that I forgot those two lights.  New there was something with the originals I was forgetting.
Eh, I would leave the Raptor as is. Yeah, its thin skinned, but it's a 25 tonner.  11.5 tons of pod isn't a whole lot to play with but again, it's a 25 tonner.

The Strider is like something right out of 3050!  Can I just part it out?

Yanking the small cockpit from the Celestials would probably create a knockon effect of changes to a lot of other configs.  Don't a bunch of them use both free crits in the head?  But it's an omni so that's probably not a show stopper.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 28 June 2019, 10:33:01 »
All the Celestials use the Small Cockpit slot for pod-mounted equipment, so it shouldn't be an issue unless the mech was supremely crit-packed (and even then, you're losing a ton of pod space so something's got to change anyway).

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 28 June 2019, 19:12:56 »
All the Celestials use the Small Cockpit slot for pod-mounted equipment, so it shouldn't be an issue unless the mech was supremely crit-packed (and even then, you're losing a ton of pod space so something's got to change anyway).

presumably the c3 slave for c3i swap will take care of that.  I'm kinda inclined to keep the c3i if possible.  I've found that 4 mech lances are a bit brittle.  6 mech formations can absorb a bit more losses.   I found the same thing playing XCOM and XCOM 2.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #59 on: 28 June 2019, 19:21:38 »
I am not suggesting we are going to get Republic Celestials, I am merely saying I have a merc unit that will try to buck the stigma to keep some.  They are likely to pull the C3i and definitely the Small Cockpit.
Colt Ward

Register