Author Topic: Who is your favorite Villain?  (Read 13050 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Who is your favorite Villain?
« on: 05 June 2020, 09:59:45 »
Like the topic says.

Who is your favorite "Bad Guy" from the BT Universe?

I got to think of this the other day as I was re-watching one of my all time favorites on the Black List,  Raymond Reddington,  I love James Spader in that role almost as much as when he was on Boston Legal.

I'm having a hard time finding my favorite in BT, maybe because they are so black/white while still being shades of grey.

When I think of other Pop-Culture, say, the "Disney-Verse" with all its products, I can say Thanos is clearly my favorite villain.  Poor guy was just trying to help us out with pollution & overpopulation.  >:D

When I think of early BT,  I like the Red Duke Ricol.
In the mid years, I found the Bounty Hunter & the "Joker"/Assassin kind of interesting.
But since then I'm not sure anyone has really caught my eye.

So lets hear from you all,  who is your favorite Villain, no the most evil,  but the guy/girl you love to watch being bad.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Who is your favorite Villain?
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2020, 12:55:15 »
I guess it would depend on what kind of things you think are villainous.  I find myself draw to the "less nice" factions due to being reactionary against my players wanting to be FedCom.  Unfortunately the two I really like (FWL and CC) don't have a wide variety of interesting characters due to lacking a POV through most of the fiction. 

Sun-Tzu and Kali Liao are a vicious tag team that should have been able to cause more mayhem than they did in canon and they caused lots of mayhem.  Sun-Tzu got a few books but we never get anything from Kali even as a supporting character in any of them.  Their mother Romano did lots of crazy bad stuff as well but somehow managed to keep the Capellan Confederation together despite the defection of her sister and assault on many worlds so clearly she wasn't dumb. 

I would love a POV of Thomas Marik pre-bombing or heck even as The Master.  We can only infer what was going on in his head based on what the Word of Blake did later and his character is a rather cartoony expy of Emperor Palpatine.  Most of the Word of Blake we don't have POVs from but there is so much untapped potential.

Then we come down to my favorite Katrina Steiner-Davion, her character was utterly wasted in the fiction but still has an influence in the modern timeline despite her death at the hands of her son Alaric Ward.  We never understand her reasoning but she managed to turn the Estates General against Victor despite him spending most of his life on Tharkad, so she clearly had skill.  There's a reason I wrote a whole fan-fic novel about her (and am working on one from Kali in that same AU).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2020, 13:21:29 »
Too easy: Hanse Davion.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2020, 14:19:17 »
The entirety of the black hat covered by white hat apparatus of comstar

generally a sucker for anything that’s either
1) cartoonish in its villainy
2) a wolf in the clothing of a less menacing wolf. You know they’re dangerous and shady but have no idea in what ways or to what depth

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2020, 14:39:56 »
Most Battletech individual "villains" are far too cartoonish for me to love. I find I prefer villainous organizations usually; because thier villainy is usually through callousness and expediency and not melodramatic scheming. The Draconis Combine is my favorite evil organization in the setting, and it's villainy is represented well by Takashi Kurita and Worlord Grieg Samsonov. Both men are manipulative and inhumane but without the overblown theatrics of the entire Liao brood or the comic book hilarity that are the Clans. Theirs is a systemic, state-sponsored selfish lust for control. I like that style.
I also like Jacob Bannson from the Dark Age arc. While he is a bit of an overblown character, he is portrayed pretty well considering he is an obvious parody on our worlds own bombastic mega rich, ala Branson, Musk, etc... I feel they did a good job representing that wild narcissistic genius bent to evil purposes instead of just publicity.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2020, 14:51:47 »
When I think of early BT,  I like the Red Duke Ricol.

'No man is the villain of his life's story.'

Ricol was an opponent to Grayson who he later worked with to get the Helm core out, but I would not call him a villain because he was a Drac.  While Falcons are my favorite foe I only really see one as a villain and have a great respect for Noritomo Helmer who has been getting the stinky end of the stick for . . . IRL 15 years?

Because of my personal philosophy, the two biggest villians to me are ComStar-Word of Blake and the Cameron.

Blake/Toyama set the rest of a humanity on a path that caused untold suffering for a couple of centuries, and did it intentionally for 'mankind's good.'  The worst sort of power is one who acts for what they perceive is the best interest of others whether the others want them to or not, because unlike other power-users they are active rather than letting the populace be through at least benign neglect.  I think its too bad they abandoned the Lenin/Stalin model of Blake/Toyama, I thought it was a great story development that Blake was mostly benign while Toyama (who might have helped Blake fall down the stairs) twisted the organization into a religious organization intent on ruling all mankind.

The next would be the Cameron who formed the Star League, forcing the periphery governments into the League even though those people did not want to be a part of that body.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2020, 14:57:55 »
Colt: that would be Ian Cameron.

Any bets on when Cannonshop will be by to throw Alexander Kerensky into the mix?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2020, 19:14:46 »
I also like Jacob Bannson from the Dark Age arc. While he is a bit of an overblown character, he is portrayed pretty well considering he is an obvious parody on our worlds own bombastic mega rich, ala Branson, Musk, etc... I feel they did a good job representing that wild narcissistic genius bent to evil purposes instead of just publicity.

Interesting, I know the character as the "boss" of Bannson's Raiders from the MWDA game but I have never read about him as a person, I missed out on whatever product that must be.
I might have to read up more on this.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2020, 19:17:31 »
Romano Liao was the best.
The clans i cannot hate because they seemed to be written just for the comics at the time.
The Greenhaven Gestapo from the time of Amaris's coup. They were all psycopaths and sadists.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2020, 19:33:48 »
Ricol was an opponent to Grayson who he later worked with to get the Helm core out, but I would not call him a villain because he was a Drac.  While Falcons are my favorite foe I only really see one as a villain and have a great respect for Noritomo Helmer who has been getting the stinky end of the stick for . . . IRL 15 years? 
I don't call him evil because he's a Drac.
I say he's a villain because he hired pirates & his own thugs to invade a neighboring world & kill a bunch of people in a false flag type operation & then brought in his own troops to appear to be the savior while again attacking the actual defending troops of that world.
And he did it all to increase his own personal wealth/power & not at the request of his lord Takashi.

That same Helm Core he held onto & did not turn over to his lord & nation for a decade? or so & only did so to gain advancement for himself & get out of the very bad situation he was in IIRC.
He's selfish & power hungry.  So he's a villain.  That said, he is one of my favorites.  I just don't like him the way I do the above mentioned non-BT villains.

I don't know this Helmer person,  I would have thought Malvina was the biggest Falcon "bad guy".  Another one I may have to look up.

Because of my personal philosophy, the two biggest villians to me are ComStar-Word of Blake and the Cameron.

Blake/Toyama set the rest of a humanity on a path that caused untold suffering for a couple of centuries, and did it intentionally for 'mankind's good.'  The worst sort of power is one who acts for what they perceive is the best interest of others whether the others want them to or not, because unlike other power-users they are active rather than letting the populace be through at least benign neglect.  I think its too bad they abandoned the Lenin/Stalin model of Blake/Toyama, I thought it was a great story development that Blake was mostly benign while Toyama (who might have helped Blake fall down the stairs) twisted the organization into a religious organization intent on ruling all mankind.

The next would be the Cameron who formed the Star League, forcing the periphery governments into the League even though those people did not want to be a part of that body.

To me Blake & Toyama are worlds apart.  Other than they overlapped their lives in the same organizations, I don't see any similarities in them.
I didn't know TPTB had abandoned that comparison, its how I still see them, only even less like Lenin.  To me he was just the guy put in charge of the phone company to rebuild the planet.  Toyama came along & turned it into a religious cult.

Cameron did more than force the periphery in, he did that to the IS states too, they just went with less complaints & more incentives.
But there is a reason it was called Aggressive Diplomacy.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2020, 19:38:24 »
Interesting, I know the character as the "boss" of Bannson's Raiders from the MWDA game but I have never read about him as a person, I missed out on whatever product that must be.
I might have to read up more on this.

The Dark Age novels are filled with his agents, causing problems, setting fires, making the Republic fall apart faster and faster. So he can take advantage of the chaos. It's been a while since I read those books, but I remember meeting him in one book where his true colors shine through his expensive suits and perfect haircut. He's a power hungry sociopath who will blackmail, frame, coerce, and murder anyone who gets in his way. He's great. 😁

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2020, 05:56:37 »
Thomas "Marik". Mostly because, alone among the IS antagonist figures in the Clan Invasion era, he's a fully realised character, with agency, his own motivations, and a very strong picture of who he is beyond "the Captain General". Plus, unlike Katherine, he's a legitimately skilled politician who doesn't get to magically skip all the difficult parts.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2020, 16:09:47 »
The free world's league.
All hail Andurien.

Zairhgon

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2020, 16:41:07 »
Chu-sa Jerry Akuma.
For me the perfect example of how a soldier can be faithful to his duty, and a tremendously correct and polite man, although deep down his ambitions and desire for personal revenge make him a true "villain".

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2020, 18:07:50 »
Nicholas Kerensky. He was crackpot dictator with daddy issues and delusions of godhood. He basically forced everyone to his own vision while wiping out those that did something that went against that. So yes, he is clearly villain. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2020, 20:11:35 »
The great Stefan Ukris Amaris I.

The Liberation of Terra Historicals painted a masterful picture of the manipulative schemer par excellence that he was. Sun-Tzu, Katherine S-D, all of them pale in comparison to the treacherous greatness that was Stefan Amaris.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2020, 21:52:01 »
Ooops... double post...

TT
« Last Edit: 07 June 2020, 21:53:47 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2020, 21:53:16 »
Who is your favorite "Bad Guy" from the BT Universe?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2020, 22:40:44 »
The "Word" of Blake is "MAWAIGE" ?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2020, 23:01:19 »
Apollyon, Sun-Tzu Liao and Alaric Ward are the top contenders, for me.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #21 on: 08 June 2020, 09:56:05 »
To me Blake & Toyama are worlds apart.  Other than they overlapped their lives in the same organizations, I don't see any similarities in them.
I didn't know TPTB had abandoned that comparison, its how I still see them, only even less like Lenin.  To me he was just the guy put in charge of the phone company to rebuild the planet.  Toyama came along & turned it into a religious cult.

Read the Intro fiction to the Second Succession War Sourcebook for the real story behind the Blake & Toyama relationship.....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #22 on: 08 June 2020, 11:13:08 »
Yeah, 1SW SB starts to hint that Blake was not quite the nice guy image as put out- one that struck me was his attitude of f the periphery used to explain why ComStar's cartography division dropped a lot more periphery worlds from the map than among the Inner Sphere worlds.  I forget the specifics, but it was along the lines of Blake blamed the periphery for the loss of the Star League and so he was actively biased against their standings/claims with that biased attitude being institutionalized among ComStar.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 08 June 2020, 17:24:00 »
That's an understandable and even reasonable bias.  Where it crosses the line is when it results in millions of lives lost.  I think that's the difference between Blake and Toyama.  One would pause, while the other would simply shrug, and carry on.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #24 on: 17 June 2020, 00:55:14 »
Thomas "Marik". Mostly because, alone among the IS antagonist figures in the Clan Invasion era, he's a fully realised character, with agency, his own motivations, and a very strong picture of who he is beyond "the Captain General". Plus, unlike Katherine, he's a legitimately skilled politician who doesn't get to magically skip all the difficult parts.

Seconded.  He was one of the few characters in Battletech lore who actually displayed the skills he was supposed to have instead of just magically accomplishing things offscreen when the writers didn't have to come up with methods for how he did so- Kathrine Steiner-Davion being a prime offender in that regard.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #25 on: 19 June 2020, 00:33:54 »
Devlin Stone.   ;)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #26 on: 19 June 2020, 13:21:47 »
Devlin Stone.   ;)

We really need a like button.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #27 on: 19 June 2020, 17:26:13 »
He's not very interesting, though.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #28 on: 20 June 2020, 03:37:51 »
Hanse Davion
Katherine Steiner-Davion
Nicholas Kerensky

Sun-Tzu never convinced me he was competent, it never felt like he actually earned his victories, it always felt like he was getting handed his wins by the writers.
Steiner, where money and mediocrity meet caring.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #29 on: 20 June 2020, 13:39:56 »
Devlin Stone.   ;)

I don't see him as villain. More as short sghted fool. Way he created RotS made sure that ones HPG network went down people were sure to turn against RotS like novel By Temption and By War shows.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Register