Author Topic: Davion SpecOps Battlemech units???  (Read 2014 times)

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
Davion SpecOps Battlemech units???
« on: 28 July 2020, 02:06:42 »
Howdy!
  I'm not sure where to look to find what I'm thinking, or if it even exists.... While I know that each faction has its intelligence branch, what about special operations military units? The Battlemech driving equivalent of Navy Seals? Or other "black ops" units? In our world these units are usually military on loan to Intel organizations, not internal to them. These units have legitimate military duties and missions as well as doing sneaky off the record naughty missions for humorless guys named "Agent Johnson" (see Clancy's "Clear and Present Danger"). Do the IS powers have equivalent units?
   I'd like to make an ex-Davion Merc unit based loosely on "the Losers" but I don't know what military organization to make them "ex" from???

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Re: Davion SpecOps Battlemech units???
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2020, 02:21:55 »

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2020, 02:46:32 »
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/McKinnon%27s_Company

House Davion has MI6, just not sure if they have a battlemech unit.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Department_of_Military_Intelligence

Hmmmm right. According to Sarna, McKinnon's unit only did one mission (a really important mission!) for the Intel organization.... And other than that, they tend to handle a few "odd jobs" now and then on top of Thier normal military duties.
 Maybe I need to just make them be from a standard regiment, but from a unit in the regiment with more experience and training doing special missions and clandestine work? Like Scout-Snipers. Maybe make them from a dedicated recon Battalion? Where members are selected for Thier abilities to work behind the lines doing nonstandard mission types without direct command structure... which just so happens to get them "volunteered" for MI missions more often than most...

fallen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2020, 06:12:24 »
Have you looked at Team Banzai yet?

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Team_Banzai

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2020, 08:24:40 »
 One of the problems with determining spec ops units is that line regiments regularly engage in such activities. People may know that the Dark Shadows is a specialty spec ops unit, but so is the 13th Marik Militia (A full line regiment). Likewise, special recon lances of Assassins are attached to line regiments during invasions, and in all likelihood they perform such operations without being noticed. Every line unit in every house probably has some subunit(s) that engages in such activities. Spec ops really are not that special in Battletech, they are just another form of raid.
« Last Edit: 28 July 2020, 08:28:09 by Minemech »

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2020, 08:34:07 »
Just double checking the FedSun Field Manual and the Deneb Light Cavalry were considered "special operations" officially by the SLDF.

Im also thinking the 1st FedSun Armored Cavalry Regiment could possibly be considered a US Ranger style regiment? The CO got an award for "classified" operations.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2020, 13:13:32 »
Just double checking the FedSun Field Manual and the Deneb Light Cavalry were considered "special operations" officially by the SLDF.

Im also thinking the 1st FedSun Armored Cavalry Regiment could possibly be considered a US Ranger style regiment? The CO got an award for "classified" operations.

Ah-ha cool! That's the kind of thing I was wondering about; if there were any "line" regiments or units known for specializing in the kinds of dirty deeds usually involved in Intel missions. Thanks!

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2020, 13:16:53 »
Rabid Foxes would be like the Death Commandos I'd think. They'd have access to mechs if needed
Maker of big things.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2020, 15:02:14 »
By the way, is there anyone can explain why a special ops ever needs for a battlemech in the first place? It is nothing different with a Delta Force tank company. The strength of special ops is more like cloak and dagger than the line unit(although it is not actually similar with cloak and dagger), so using armored unit other than battle armor and vtol(transport) is not an option I think.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2020, 15:35:47 »
By the way, is there anyone can explain why a special ops ever needs for a battlemech in the first place? It is nothing different with a Delta Force tank company. The strength of special ops is more like cloak and dagger than the line unit(although it is not actually similar with cloak and dagger), so using armored unit other than battle armor and vtol(transport) is not an option I think.

I think there are some units that would augment their regular spec ops infantry with Battlemechs. There was a write-up on the Death Commandos where they basically ordered the planet to surrender or else. When the government failed to surrender they starting striking all the main targets at the same time using battlemechs, assassination, and other dirty tricks.

My take on a spec ops battlemech team is a group sent to raid rear lines. The guys that go deep to strike supply depots, kill commanders at their posts, and disrupt communications while the line units push back. This is much harder in the BTU due to dropships being quite mobile but there are many idiotic officers out that fail to utilize that big spaceship properly.

You could also be sending these guys out to grab something or someone important and make it out successfully, that is something that requires greater skill that hammering your opponent to pieces.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2020, 17:04:02 »
I remember that special forces that sent to train and reinforce the rebel or militia is not unheard on our real world. Perhaps it is an extention of that? Although battlemech is compared by a tank, but it is mobile enough to move through most terrain feature.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2020, 18:44:23 »

SpecOps isn't all skulking in alleys or freeing hostages from an embassy in the Btech world. There are numerous missions from the fluff where mech units were sent on important but secret missions; missions too sensitive to trust to "deniable" mercenary hires.
   The fiction in one of the sourcebooks gave me the idea: it was about a line company sent by Davion Intelligence on a black operation to kill a former Davion officer who diverted materials from another black operation to set himself up as a Periphery Warlord after he was cashiered from the AFFS. The Davies had been secretly arming anti-Kurita forces on a Periphery  world near thier border and the Colonel involved has squirreled away mechs, weapons, and supplies, instead of arming the locals. When he gets the boot for his incompetence, he heads for the Periphery and sets up shop as a despot. So MI sends in one of his old regiment (who was also involved in the first naughty mission!) to quietly dispose of him and his new "command".
   Another details a series of "pirate" raids hitting questionable targets (civilian infrastructure) to draw Cappie forces away from a strategic factory facility. Mercs couldnt be trusted to pull off what would be an illegal mission, so a house unit with unquestioned loyalty was sent by MI. 
   I can see lots of missions were everything from a young woman in a tight dress with a poisoned hairpin to a squad of stealth battle armor to a company of disguised battlemechs could all have thier time and place!  :)
   I just needed info on any units in the fluff dedicated to these kinds of jobs in AFFS.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2020, 19:32:39 »
Ah, I understand why our real world officially ban the mercenary activities.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2020, 20:21:05 »
 Honestly, outside of assault weight units, most line regiments would field formations capable of the task. Some of these formations may be informal companies/lances, others may be a part of the unit. Units like the Davion Assault Guards are probably more accustomed to relying on other line regiments for this type of support, if they become even aware that it had occurred. Davion spooks kill those who are smart enough to notice inconvenient things, as the old Battlepack 4th Succession War illustrated. I am not talking enemies, or even civilians. House Davion would be more likely to cover up the use of such instruments than the others. They rely on a knightly imagery.

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2020, 21:30:14 »
 The ISF in the Combine clearly has such units. They fielded a company made to look like the Black Widows committing an Area convention violation (on camera) as part of their attempt to 'company store' the Dragoon's.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2020, 22:28:49 »
The ISF in the Combine clearly has such units. They fielded a company made to look like the Black Widows committing an Area convention violation (on camera) as part of their attempt to 'company store' the Dragoon's.

Exactly. And these kinds of missions are the bread and butter for a Cappie Death Commando. So the settings two "bad guy" factions cant be the only ones using these kinds of forces.
My unit will be what's left of a Davion company left out in the cold of the Periphery when thier MI handler tries to double-cross the very warlord they are sent to "advise"... with no support, no transportation off world, no hope of rescue, and a corrupt MI agent who erases the units very existence from the records...

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2020, 23:44:33 »
I understand why such full armored company is required to the special ops. If you have to use the armored corps but it is far from the hack and slash missions, that's what you want to say.

Then, I bet that most of they are 'self-styled best CCAF/DCMS mechwarriors'. Why you are bothered to show any hint of davion color on such missions? It is no wonder that most salvage of the faction exclusive mechs are send to such false flag units.

Register