Author Topic: Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0 Stable Release (Now 0.7.5!)  (Read 20427 times)

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0 Stable Release (Now 0.7.5!)
« on: 07 October 2019, 11:05:46 »

2020-12-02: New Version! See Most recent update here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/computerconsole-games/solaris-skunk-werks-0-7-0-stable-release/msg1674552/#msg1674552

It is our pleasure to release Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0!  This marks a new release as a community driven and developed version of Solaris Skunk Werks.  We have put great effort into updating existing functionality to the current era of BattleTech, below the link we have a brief listing of the updates to SSW.  Future releases will be focusing on usability, new equipment, and new features.

You can download the newest version, and join our development discord through our Github page here.  We welcome all who want to help make SSW even better: https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks#solaris-skunk-werks

Main Features and fixes:
  • Updated for Java 8
  • Dark Age Availability
  • Fixed various BV calculation issues (All BV calculations should be correct!)
  • More detailed BV breakdown
  • Corrected C-Bill Price Calculations
  • Shows Ammo cost of current loadout
  • Improved printing of Shields
  • Saving and Loading of Super Heavy Vehicles
  • Now using the modern logo
  • Fix security vulnerabilities when loading files

Other Bug Fixes
  • Would silently fail on opening
  • Would forget about fixed Case II with Omnimechs
  • Patchwork Armor would have display issues
  • Booby trap was not printing correctly
  • Primitive/Retrotech Battlemechs can now equip all armors
  • Can now save and load OmniMechs without configurations
  • iATM ammo names were corrected
« Last Edit: 02 December 2020, 11:33:18 by Insaniac99 »

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
Re: Solaris Skunk Werks 0.7.0 Stable Release
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2019, 14:22:30 »
 :thumbsup:
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2019, 14:28:20 »
I can comfortably say from using some of the pre-release builds and talking with the new devs that this is a great release with even better releases in the future. It's also no longer a "one man show" as it was before. So look forward to continued improvements!
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2019, 17:22:26 »
Awesome  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2019, 17:26:16 »
Fantastic!  Does Fractional Accounting work correctly now?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2019, 17:31:53 »
Nope, darn...  :-\

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2019, 17:44:52 »
Nope, darn...  :-\

Please submit a detailed issue report on the Github and we will add it to the pile https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks/issues

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2019, 17:46:48 »
Is it possible to do that without creating yet another internet account?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2019, 17:49:01 »
Oooooo I'll be checking this out later!
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2019, 18:00:54 »
If it's not possible, here's the issue in detail:

Fractional Accounting (in SAW) should make Vehicle Controls and Turrets fractional tonnages as well.  The specific rules are on page 376 of TacOps.  For full functionality, it should also be possible to sub-divide ammo bins as well.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2019, 18:54:51 »
 :) :D ;D :o

I am SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS!!! WAITAGO GUYS!

Fractional Accounting (in SAW) should make Vehicle Controls and Turrets fractional tonnages as well.  The specific rules are on page 376 of TacOps.  For full functionality, it should also be possible to sub-divide ammo bins as well.

Probably my favourite rule in the game.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2019, 20:40:55 »

So Is this only in SAW?  or does SSW not do it correctly too?

What parts are not working?

The more specific you can be, the better we can locate and fix things.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2019, 03:33:58 »
With the exception of ammo, it appears to only be in SAW (SSW does IS and engines just fine).  I acknowledge ammo may be too complicated to implement.

In SAW, the control and turret tonnages continue to be rounded to the nearest half ton when Fractional Accounting is selected.  This is incorrect.  Only things like gyros (that use the "or fraction thereof" language) are supposed to be rounded under Fractional Accounting.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2019, 05:43:45 »
So happy this was updated!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2019, 13:03:22 »
I acknowledge ammo may be too complicated to implement.

Give em time; it worked in SSW, they'll get there.

Custom Weapons would be hard to implement.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2019, 15:33:21 »
Custom Weapons would be hard to implement.

Custom weapons are surprisingly simple in SSW, you just have to fill out a spreadsheet and jump through a couple hoops. 

The bigger problem is getting people to accurately and reliably transcribing from books to that spreadsheet.

The biggest problem is that system for custom equipment currently only allows one rules level for those.  We're discussing how to fix that so that we can adjust rule level based on the era.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #16 on: 08 October 2019, 20:49:24 »
Custom weapons are surprisingly simple in SSW, you just have to fill out a spreadsheet and jump through a couple hoops. 

The bigger problem is getting people to accurately and reliably transcribing from books to that spreadsheet.

The biggest problem is that system for custom equipment currently only allows one rules level for those.  We're discussing how to fix that so that we can adjust rule level based on the era.

You talking about the custom weapons guide from before?

Maybe my skills have improved since then, but at the time I found it very difficult.

A.E. Housman

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 08 October 2019, 23:56:01 »
You talking about the custom weapons guide from before?

Maybe my skills have improved since then, but at the time I found it very difficult.

Sadly yes.  But it is easier than MM's required coding (not to knock MM, I love and use it regularly).  We do want to switch over to something easier, but that will come in time.

Also, we found a couple of minor bugs that slipped through and have released a hotfix bumping the version to 0.7.1, it is available at the same location as the other release.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #18 on: 09 October 2019, 07:51:35 »
Sadly yes.  But it is easier than MM's required coding (not to knock MM, I love and use it regularly).  We do want to switch over to something easier, but that will come in time.

Also, we found a couple of minor bugs that slipped through and have released a hotfix bumping the version to 0.7.1, it is available at the same location as the other release.

I'll take another crack at it when I can then. Maybe I was just confused and my skills weren't up to it.

A.E. Housman

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #19 on: 09 October 2019, 09:21:35 »
0.7.1 Hotfix Release

The SSW team has released 0.7.1 as a hotfix to some bugs:

Main Features and fixes:

• There was bug in BV calculation that affected mechs with a low movement modifier and Void Signature System.
  • There was a missing null check in the widescreen version that caused problems when loading mechs with turrets and industrial structure.

You can download the newest version, and join our development discord through our Github page here. We welcome all who want to help make SSW even better: https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks#solaris-skunk-werks
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 09 October 2019, 20:00:08 »
Can we help from here vice creating more accounts on other systems?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2019, 10:56:22 »
get someone with an account to post your bug?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2019, 11:00:12 »
Can we help from here vice creating more accounts on other systems?

We won't turn down any help that we can use, but we also don't have the personage to regularly monitor the various places we announce.  Additionally, we use git to track every issue individually and keep a focused conversation thread about them, which just isn't possible on most forums.

For example, here is a ticket for C-bill costs not being displayed correctly. It took about 3 days to resolve.  At the same time, we were working with 2-3 other issues but they are in their own thread.  For example, this one about missing equipment came in, which also highlights how we can reference other issues and handle duplicate reports

Now there are a lot of other reasons that we use gitHub to track & manage everything, and Discord to communicate in real time, but stuff like that is the primary reasons.  It keeps us organized and allows us to let some issues sit while we wait for information without them getting lost or buried.

So is it impossible to help without joining one of those two places? Absolutely not.  But it is significantly harder to be a useful contributor.  Excluding programmers who can actually change code, we constantly have a use for people who:
  • Can check for new and verify existing bugs
  • Give detailed corrections (For example, Just saying Battle-value is off is no where near as helpful as showing the exact point of deviation between us and another calculation)  This works for other bugs too, often someoen will report a bug, which I can't replicate, but someone else can get enough information to track it down that we can then fix it easily
  • Able to reference various books for information to enter (for example the weapons in the program are from a spreadsheet that has 105 columns, and having people able answer those is incredibly helpful)

There's others, but that's the big three off the top of my head, and you'll notice most of them involve having to at least know what we are tracking on github.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2019, 16:21:27 »
Rog, thanks for the detailed reply!  Did I provide enough detail about the Fractional Accounting issue, or do you need more?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 12 October 2019, 03:13:02 »
When I'm slightly more awake I'll look at the references and post the bug report to the tracker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 12 October 2019, 06:24:08 »
I just noticed on the credits screen, your (Insaniac99's) name is missing the second "a".

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 12 October 2019, 07:02:05 »
I also just noticed SAW doesn't fractionalize Lift Equipment either.  So the list of things that need that fix is now: Controls, Turrets, and Lift Equipment.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #27 on: 12 October 2019, 10:41:44 »
Could I get a link to what version of Java I need to run the current version?  I tried going to Oracle's site but I'm really not computer literate enough to figure it out.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #28 on: 12 October 2019, 12:52:21 »
did you go to java.com/en? 

also it's awesome SSW users are getting support again

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #29 on: 12 October 2019, 13:09:16 »
Okay, when I try to run it, I get an error message saying "could not find file .\Data\Printing\patterns.zip (The system cannot find the path specified)"

Edit: And now it's decided to run correctly.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman