Author Topic: Is MW5 worth getting?  (Read 8829 times)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Is MW5 worth getting?
« on: 18 December 2019, 09:35:34 »
For those of you that have it. Is it good? Is it bad? Should I get it now? Should I wait until it gets dirt cheap?
I have spoken.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Re: Is MW5 worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2019, 14:58:38 »
IMO it's good, but not great. It has some issues which vary in severity, some of which may get fixed with time, some which might get fixed by the community. If you are willing to wait for improvements it might better for it, but still very fun game to play now.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2019, 16:15:25 »
Yeah, it's got some serious rough edges and could use a) variety in contract types and b) smoothing out of the difficulty curve.

That being said, I'm getting a serious kick out of frying/stomping tanks. It's hard to duplicate the feeling of driving a Hunchback and letting rip with the burst-fire AC/20.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2019, 16:47:19 »
MW5 is still an Epic Games exclusive right now, isn't it?  That's enough reason for me to pass on it until it's not.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2019, 20:25:41 »
EGS exclusive for one year.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2019, 00:23:02 »
I've been having a lot of fun with it so far. (Yeah, I caved and bought it now instead of waiting for the release on Steam xp) it's definitely got it's flaws and some issues to get ironed out, but, it's been an enjoyable experience so far....Aside from multi-mission contracts. God, I hate those.

Truth told, with the game being somewhat rough around the edges, and the whole year-long Epic Exclusive deal, it feels to me like it's a Beta Test or an Early access title awaiting full release.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2019, 05:04:13 »
It's better than just about every other MechWarrior title out there. Anything else is nostalgia; there's a reason you haven't played it in years (unless you've been playing any MW5 predecessor recently, but I doubt you have).  Want to take a pass  because it's on Epic? Fine. But I maintain that you would be hard pressed to find a better initial/vanilla MechWarrior release.

It's the most open, most accurate game for the time period (circa post-3rd succession war, 4th succession war, pre-clan invasion).  Sure,  there are flaws, but  those flaws aren't any worse than what you would see in any other title.  It beats MW2 in gameplay, beats MW2: Mercs in openness, and MW3: in graphics.

There are a dozen nits I could pick, but for what it is at release?  It's better than nearly anything we've had before.  And I maintain that it can only improve from here.

That said: Free St. Ives.  It's much more than an "independent faction".
Hayden

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2019, 06:14:59 »
It's better than just about every other MechWarrior title out there. Anything else is nostalgia; there's a reason you haven't played it in years (unless you've been playing any MW5 predecessor recently, but I doubt you have).  Want to take a pass  because it's on Epic? Fine. But I maintain that you would be hard pressed to find a better initial/vanilla MechWarrior release.

It's the most open, most accurate game for the time period (circa post-3rd succession war, 4th succession war, pre-clan invasion).  Sure,  there are flaws, but  those flaws aren't any worse than what you would see in any other title.  It beats MW2 in gameplay, beats MW2: Mercs in openness, and MW3: in graphics.

There are a dozen nits I could pick, but for what it is at release?  It's better than nearly anything we've had before.  And I maintain that it can only improve from here.

That said: Free St. Ives.  It's much more than an "independent faction".

While I bear Epic no ill will, but I am more than happy to wait a year to buy the game. Battletech games no longer hold the lustre for me they once did, particularly the MW titles. This game has it's issues, they've been discussed ad nauseum, but better than MW3/4 at release? I'm assuming you're speaking absolutely here, not relative to other games of the day, because the AI in MW 3 and 4 were both pretty good for their time, there appears to be no increase in squad control functionality, and there's less variation in terrain and mission type.

Sure the graphics are pretty, being able to destroy buildings is great, etc, but the AI is horrendous, squad mates are idiots, and the interior of the dropship is about as interactive as Madame Tussaud's. Underwhelming is the only way I can describe it. The most bemusing thing for me is that the gaming press have bought into the notion that this game must succeed of we lose MW. If the MW franchise can survive MechAssault 2, it's the cockroach of franchises, and will be here long after we're all gone.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2019, 07:52:08 »
While I bear Epic no ill will, but I am more than happy to wait a year to buy the game. Battletech games no longer hold the lustre for me they once did, particularly the MW titles. This game has it's issues, they've been discussed ad nauseum, but better than MW3/4 at release? I'm assuming you're speaking absolutely here, not relative to other games of the day, because the AI in MW 3 and 4 were both pretty good for their time, there appears to be no increase in squad control functionality, and there's less variation in terrain and mission type.

Sure the graphics are pretty, being able to destroy buildings is great, etc, but the AI is horrendous, squad mates are idiots, and the interior of the dropship is about as interactive as Madame Tussaud's. Underwhelming is the only way I can describe it. The most bemusing thing for me is that the gaming press have bought into the notion that this game must succeed of we lose MW. If the MW franchise can survive MechAssault 2, it's the cockroach of franchises, and will be here long after we're all gone.

For terrain I can't speak much to MW4's expansions, but compared to the base MW3 and MW4 games the difference is considerable.  MW3 in particular suffers from the utilization of static one-off maps, and while these hand-made maps are sublime, they want for variety.  I'll cop that MW5's would benefit from roads on the maps, but in terms of style I think they serve their role adequately.  In nearly  40 hours of play, I have rarely encountered a strikingly similar map (I'd note that I don't think the base MW3 and MW4 games would have even even given me 40 hours of play in the inaugural playthrough).  Frankly, when playing I generally ignore the dropship interior (your Madam Tussaud's analogy is apt).

I'll admit that the AI leaves much to be desired, but I'd argue this was always the case in the MechWarrior franchise.  MW5 at least offers the possibility to bring additional human players into the campaign (granted, this can make it considerably easier, but it wasn't an option at all in MW3 and I seem to recall MW4 not being able to do so without mods, correct me if I'm wrong).  MW3's AI was never outstanding, though I'll admin I don't have enough experience with MW4 to judge the AI.

That said, I'm not at all in the camp that the game must succeed; I think it does on its own merits.  By all means, wait to buy the game.  I'd argue that if the franchise ended here, and never saw another PC game, we would not be worse off, than if it had never existed.  With mod support dropping sometime between this week and next month, I'm fairly confident that the community could build a lot more from the foundation of MW5, than any of the precursor games.

A small lifetime ago, back when I played MW3, I used to fantasize about the possibilities that MW5 now offers: cooperative multiplayer campaigns, my run of the inner sphere, the ability to dynamically drop with my friends, to serve the various lords of the successor states as I saw fit, all while playing in an era where heat management really mattered.  To me, the beauty of MW5 is that it offers all this, and serve as a springboard to so much more moving forward, be it in the form of official PGI expansions or community mods.  Sure, it's not perfect, but the series never was, and this has come closer than others.
Hayden

Mech Dingus

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2019, 13:59:20 »
It would have been pretty decent if it came out 10 years ago. The core gameplay is stompy robots which is always fun but pretty much every aspect of the game is mediocre at best. And some things like the AI are atrocious for a game in 2019. Anything else is fanboying for the franchise.

Direct comparisons to Mechwarrior games that came out 20 years ago are pretty meaningless. People should expect more for their money than a meh experience that relies on a loyal fanbase to carry it.

Battletech: A game of which factions turn it is in the gnard smacking chair.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2019, 16:27:07 »
And some things like the AI are atrocious for a game in 2019.
I strongly recommend you look at the AI for most AAA titles in the past six years. This is on the upper end of par for the course, not the lower.

Not saying that's okay, but to say that it's somehow got worse AI (read; Atrocious for 2019) than most 2019 titles is just kidding yourself. Yes, the bar is this low now.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2019, 16:34:01 by Caedis Animus »

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2019, 14:37:54 »
It would have been pretty decent if it came out 10 years ago. The core gameplay is stompy robots which is always fun but pretty much every aspect of the game is mediocre at best. And some things like the AI are atrocious for a game in 2019. Anything else is fanboying for the franchise.

Direct comparisons to Mechwarrior games that came out 20 years ago are pretty meaningless. People should expect more for their money than a meh experience that relies on a loyal fanbase to carry it.

I will say that MW5, for all its flaws -- and there are many! -- does get the whole struggling merc company vibe going once you get a few hours into the campaign. One bad mission w/o insurance and you're looking at posting a loss for the entire quarter, selling off recent salvage rather than repping and rocking, unloading your dragon hoard of parts, etc. A good contract from a bad faction actually makes you feel tempted enough to occasionally give in for those sweet C-bills.

But yes, the rest is just aggressively middling, including the plot.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2019, 16:56:32 »
Yes, right now you get 10 dollars off. Not only is it a good game with tons of potential after updates, DLC, and mods, but it is also the first Mechwarrior in 17 years and the studio is entirely self-funded for this game.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2019, 15:57:37 »
I really dislike the AI in this game. Worse than herding cats.

Tell them to get in formation, they chase after every little enemy they see.

Tell them to focus fire on an enemy mech, I usually kill my target then proceed to help them finish theirs. 3 mechs vs 1 mech as opposed to me vs 1 mech. With 50+ skill pilots.

Give them a move command, one of them seems to always turn around and head in the opposite direction in somewhat confined areas. Not to mention them chasing me down when all of the enemies are dead instead of holding position. Especially bad in Defense missions, stomping all over the buildings trying to get to me.

Seems to be more noticeable the heavier their mechs get, or I just didn't really notice it as much until now. Me piloting an Atlas D and them in 2 Atlas RSs and a King Crab.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2019, 21:48:15 »
I really dislike the AI in this game. Worse than herding cats.

Tell them to get in formation, they chase after every little enemy they see.

Tell them to focus fire on an enemy mech, I usually kill my target then proceed to help them finish theirs. 3 mechs vs 1 mech as opposed to me vs 1 mech. With 50+ skill pilots.

Give them a move command, one of them seems to always turn around and head in the opposite direction in somewhat confined areas. Not to mention them chasing me down when all of the enemies are dead instead of holding position. Especially bad in Defense missions, stomping all over the buildings trying to get to me.

Seems to be more noticeable the heavier their mechs get, or I just didn't really notice it as much until now. Me piloting an Atlas D and them in 2 Atlas RSs and a King Crab.

I've been noticing that as well. I'm not too far in the game yet, but, I've definitely noticed now that my Lance is all piloting Heavy 'Mechs my Lancemates seem to have gotten worse at piloting...Especially Freeman.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 25 December 2019, 08:53:18 »
Does the multiplayer set up requires the users to up Epic's computers to play on?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 25 December 2019, 11:29:36 »
Does the multiplayer set up requires the users to up Epic's computers to play on?

Don't quote me, but I believe so. I have not tried co-op, but it seems to be tied to the Epic Launcher's friend list to invite people in game.

Same with in gamer tag. Launched the game without the launcher and my gamer tag changed to a number, 275.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #17 on: 25 December 2019, 12:44:56 »

I'm fairly certain Multiplayer requires all players to have a copy of the game.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 26 December 2019, 11:24:29 »
I got the game 2 days ago and playing only a couple of missions I miss some QoL stuff from MWO. Also the AI is very stupid (talking about the enemy units - saw a SRM tank trying to climb a hill and got stuck in a vertical position - it was hilarious).

Hope the story pays off.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 26 December 2019, 12:01:56 »
Hope the story pays off.

It is bad.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 26 December 2019, 12:14:28 »
I’m actually hitting a wall with MW5 at the campaign mission on Hsien.  I’m just not enjoying the “endless waves of tanks and turrets and helicopter” formula.  Does it get any better?

If this is how the game always plays, I might just prefer to spend my game time on HBS’ Battletech.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 26 December 2019, 12:32:41 »
From the sound of it...its not so epic as first hoped.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 26 December 2019, 15:59:43 »
No it does not get any better. Kinda sorta a spoiler, but wave after wave of tanks and vtols, that spawn 600m out (closer if dropped by a Leopard), pretty much right up to the end. Which ends in wave after wave of mechs. At least you finally get to see some Unions. Especially since a few of the last scripted story missions are demolition type missions with never ending waves of enemies.

Seriously, what self-respecting, sane dropship pilot is going to fly and stop right in the middle of an ongoing battle. Not to mention that the Leopard does not have VTOL capabilities, and requires an airfield or long stretch of ground.

The base game play seems pretty solid, but there are so many issues with mission generation, spawning, pathfinding, AI, and lore. Another modern game that will require modders to fix it to be anything other than mediocre. Nothing other than a minimum viable product, least amount of effort to generate cash for PGI.  :'(
« Last Edit: 26 December 2019, 16:09:18 by Stormforge »

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 26 December 2019, 16:27:11 »
I think the main thing that keeps me playing this game is coop with friends.

Once they put out the mod tools, this thing will really take off. Look what people have done with HBS Battletech, and it didn't even really have mod support (and apparently still doesn't, for the larger mods).

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 26 December 2019, 16:38:09 »
I think the main thing that keeps me playing this game is coop with friends.

Once they put out the mod tools, this thing will really take off. Look what people have done with HBS Battletech, and it didn't even really have mod support (and apparently still doesn't, for the larger mods).

They are talking about adding the ability for your friends to modify your mechs and submit a request/work order that you need to approve.

Waiting on the mod tools myself, and hope they are not too difficult to pick up. Just looking to modify some weapons/mechs to TT specs, and see about mission/campaign building.

The path the campaign follows does remind me of a certain merc group that appears in 3005. Play a campaign as Natasha?

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 27 December 2019, 11:59:36 »
It is bad.

Seriously!?!? Damn... better find another game to play then while I wait for Cyberpunk 2077.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 27 December 2019, 18:45:18 »
They are talking about adding the ability for your friends to modify your mechs and submit a request/work order that you need to approve.

Waiting on the mod tools myself, and hope they are not too difficult to pick up. Just looking to modify some weapons/mechs to TT specs, and see about mission/campaign building.

The path the campaign follows does remind me of a certain merc group that appears in 3005. Play a campaign as Natasha?
Mods may save the game in the long run.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 27 December 2019, 21:57:12 »
That is what I am hoping. At its base it is not a bad game. If they would have taken a bit more time to polish it. I still play it, and enjoy it somewhat. I just stay away from some missions types.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #28 on: 27 December 2019, 22:50:22 »
My biggest problem with it is that it feels like it was designed for controller only -- several recent games all start up with this message "best played with a controller" and I think this was one of them. When I see that notice in new games I generally end up screaming at the display "Well **** you too!"

I found it extremely painful and unenjoyable to control, feeling like the worst of games that have "body awareness" (restricting your movement based on body position and relation to terrain, but in a BAD way) and the "keyboard/mouse users can go **** themselves" attitude coming from certain development houses. It makes you spend so much time micro-managing movement you're lucky if you've got time for anything else.

Doesn't help how the maps destroy immersion or the sense of scale... It really does feel more like something I'd expect form Ion Storm fifteen years ago than a modern game release.

Laugh is I suspect the hordes of vehicles to "fill the space" from a lack of actual storytelling or mission crafting are there to teach you to "get good" Dark Souls style, when all it really does is make it a boring repetitive slog.

... and of course the third person derpitude that's only in there to make up for the fact that they STILL can't seem to give us a working circlevision strip. Something my know-nothing arse was able to code up decades ago. It's FAR more playable in third person, and IMHO that's a serious indication that something is wrong.

But what do I know? I've been pissed ever since they introduced the idea of 'mechs having throttles some two decades plus ago...

That said, it's ENTIRELY what I've come to expect from PC games based on the franchise. At least it APPEARS this time they didn't piss on the universe / fiction. Unlike say... Mech Commander where the anti-freeborn anti-vehicle clan that doesn't take bondsmen was defending world after world with freeborn bondsmen in vehicles.

Also, I find it kind of a wonk that the Leopard seems to have enough internal volume to house an Overlord... Was this originally supposed to be a proper MMO? The scale of things feels that much "off".
« Last Edit: 27 December 2019, 22:53:49 by deathshadow »
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 28 December 2019, 05:29:34 »
Seriously!?!? Damn... better find another game to play then while I wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

To be clear, I am saying the story is bad. The game itself is decent.

Your chief mech tech has a few lines, but mainly serves as a vehicle for his extremely annoying accent and nothing else. I thought Darius was irritating in HBSTech but Ryana is so much more grating because she talks constantly but there is extremely little actual information conveyed beyond "a new wave is spawning." And I do mean talks constantly; her lines are voiced and you get to hear them over and over and over and over and over and over... The story itself is largely delivered through her briefings but the voice acting isn't really up to the task of making you care. It is also filled with genre cliches -- A Bad Dude in a Bad Mech doing Bad Things for Bad Reasons is a completely on-point summary and depressingly close to how deep the actual writing is.

Hilariously enough, when he is finally identified by your crew, instead of showing a picture of his face, they simply display a rotating 3D view of his mech, a King Crab, as if the guy were literally his mech.

My biggest problem with it is that it feels like it was designed for controller only -- several recent games all start up with this message "best played with a controller" and I think this was one of them. When I see that notice in new games I generally end up screaming at the display "Well **** you too!"

I found it extremely painful and unenjoyable to control, feeling like the worst of games that have "body awareness" (restricting your movement based on body position and relation to terrain, but in a BAD way) and the "keyboard/mouse users can go **** themselves" attitude coming from certain development houses. It makes you spend so much time micro-managing movement you're lucky if you've got time for anything else.

OK, this part is confusing to me because MW5 was definitely not designed with a controller in mind, lol. Or maybe it was but not a controller in common use. The control scheme is more or less identical to MWO or any vehicle shooter from the past decade or so. Legs are WASD, turret/upper body controlled by mouse except MW5/MWO have traverse limitations and a bit of higher learning curve to successfully interpreting the different crosshairs for arm and torso mounted weapons. It does take a few hours to get comfortable with handling yourself -- and they removed the UI elements, which made determining your facing near-instinctive, from MW5 for some reason -- but once you get past the initial learning curve, it shouldn't be an big issue.

That's with keyboard-and-mouse. With controller, you'll never get the speed and precision of a mouse. That might not matter in MW5 (support for both my preferred joystick and controller was borked on launch and I haven't gone back to try again) but in MWO it was basically accepting your fate that all but the newest players in the weakest mechs would faceroll you as long as they were using KBM instead of a controller or joystick. There also aren't really esough buttons on most controllers for all the stuff like zoom, chain/group fire, target, friendly target, six different firing groups, throttle controls, etc.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2019, 05:48:19 by Apocal »