Author Topic: Returning players, please read this post.  (Read 61456 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Re: Returning players, please read this post.
« Reply #120 on: 12 March 2014, 05:52:16 »
Pffft it's just an Associates in Culinary Arts...of course, if I don't study, I risk my chef instructor beating me to death with a saute pan next time I have lab...
Oh God. I just had a flash of a Commando wielding a frying pan. "Today on Iron Chef..."
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #121 on: 09 February 2017, 02:43:42 »
This is a useful post that hasn't been updated for a while... may I suggest the following changes regarding the COMPUTER GAMES part?

COMPUTER GAMES
1. Why aren't there CGL-branded BattleTech computer games?
A simple reason: CGL doesn't own the electronic rights to BattleTech. Microsoft does. They licensed these to Smith and Tinker, who's working with Piranha. They already released MechWarrior Online and are in the process of developing MechWarrior 5 which is single player game, campaign mode FPS. There's also MechWarrior Tactics at http://mwtactics.com/.  I think it's in beta, but I don't know. (this is cancelled) There is also the BattleTech γαμε being developed by Harebrained Schemes. BattleTech is a Turn-based tactical/campaign game which had a tremendously successful Kickstarter campaign.

2. So if there are no computer games, how can I get my BT fix?
The best option (IMHO) is MegaMek. It's faithful to the board game, so if you like the tactical perspective rather than the first person perspective used in the MechWarrior franchise, you're in luck. MekHQ (from the same team of MegaMek) is the campaign module, and MekLab is the TechManual module of MegaMek. There's more info at the MegaMek site, http://megamek.info/.

MechCommander, MechCommander Gold, and MechCommander 2 used to be available for free download, but I can't find valid links anywhere. (Though Microsoft has made the MechCommander Source Code available for download so if you're a programmer you can use that as a starting point.)

If you prefer the first person perspective, but don't want MechWarrior Online or cant wait for MechWarrior 5 you're out of luck. For a while the MekTek team was distributing MechWarrior 4, and there is was a BattleTech-flavored expansion to Crysis called "MechWarrior: Living Legends". but those have been taken down.
Need a newbie guide for Against the Bot (AtB / MekHQ)? Click here (v3 updated August '19)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 09 February 2017, 05:05:15 »
So legal/development issues are settled with PGI/MS then? This could still be a bit of a grey area. Haven't kept up on it though.. I know MW4 as a free download is a goner

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #123 on: 09 February 2017, 08:19:35 »
If you are talking about Living Legends all I know is that it was unavailable for a time, but now it's flourishing again. Dunno why really.
Need a newbie guide for Against the Bot (AtB / MekHQ)? Click here (v3 updated August '19)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #124 on: 09 February 2017, 09:29:17 »
There is also the BattleTech γαμε being developed by Harebrained Schemes.

The what? Is that Russian?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #125 on: 09 February 2017, 10:16:18 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 09 February 2017, 15:27:57 »
yup, Greek. That's what happens when you type game using greek characters :)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #127 on: 10 June 2018, 19:43:38 »
mbear - You might need to review and update the original posting in this thread as battlecorps is currently M.I.A.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #128 on: 11 June 2018, 06:42:01 »
mbear - You might need to review and update the original posting in this thread as battlecorps is currently M.I.A.

Yeah. I'll get on that.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #129 on: 12 June 2018, 07:03:10 »
This is a useful post that hasn't been updated for a while... may I suggest the following changes regarding the COMPUTER GAMES part?

COMPUTER GAMES
1. Why aren't there CGL-branded BattleTech computer games?
A simple reason: CGL doesn't own the electronic rights to BattleTech. Microsoft does. They licensed these to Smith and Tinker, who's working with Piranha. They already released MechWarrior Online and are in the process of developing MechWarrior 5 which is single player game, campaign mode FPS. There's also MechWarrior Tactics at http://mwtactics.com/.  I think it's in beta, but I don't know. (this is cancelled) There is also the BattleTech γαμε being developed by Harebrained Schemes. BattleTech is a Turn-based tactical/campaign game which had a tremendously successful Kickstarter campaign.

2. So if there are no computer games, how can I get my BT fix?
The best option (IMHO) is MegaMek. It's faithful to the board game, so if you like the tactical perspective rather than the first person perspective used in the MechWarrior franchise, you're in luck. MekHQ (from the same team of MegaMek) is the campaign module, and MekLab is the TechManual module of MegaMek. There's more info at the MegaMek site, http://megamek.info/.

MechCommander, MechCommander Gold, and MechCommander 2 used to be available for free download, but I can't find valid links anywhere. (Though Microsoft has made the MechCommander Source Code available for download so if you're a programmer you can use that as a starting point.)

If you prefer the first person perspective, but don't want MechWarrior Online or cant wait for MechWarrior 5 you're out of luck. For a while the MekTek team was distributing MechWarrior 4, and there is was a BattleTech-flavored expansion to Crysis called "MechWarrior: Living Legends". but those have been taken down.

I didn't use exactly what you've got here, but I did update the computer games section. Thanks for the reminder!

You're right. Where the Catalyst Store has a product, I updated the link to point to that product. Where the store doesn't have a product (e.g. several record sheet PDFs) I've removed the link. Above the table that compares TROs and Record Sheets, I put a single link to DriveThruRPG.com. I think this is an acceptable balance between providing utility to new/returning players and not undermining possible CGL web sales.
Be the Loremaster: