Author Topic: Returning players, please read this post.  (Read 61133 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Returning players, please read this post.
« on: 07 July 2011, 12:54:12 »
We lost the welcome back post when the forums were hacked a while ago. This is my attempt to re-create it. Suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Note: Several of the links in this post aren't working because CGL is updating the main site. Sorry about that. As soon as the links are in place I'll update the post.

NOTE: No link in this post is endorsed by Catalyst Game Labs.
NOTE 2: If you want to translate this post and put it on your own site, please feel free to do so. All I ask is that you link back to this post. Thanks!

If you're a new player who bought the Introductory Boxed Set and need to know what to buy next, have a look at Sartis' excellent Topic: You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? post.

Welcome back! BattleTech is still alive and kicking. There have been a few changes, but not many. Here are answers to the most common questions returning players have:

TIMELINE
1. What's happened since I last played?
There's no quick answer to that since only you know when you last played. Each of the Eras (below) have a timeline that you can read. A complete overview of the Jihad timeline, which just wrapped up, can be found in Jihad: Final Reckoning on pages 41-62 (I think). As of June 12, 2018, we've had the Republic of the Sphere be founded and effectively destroyed, taking the timeline to 3150.

Skiltao was kind enough to put together this image that displays the history of BattleTech. At least one returning player found it enormously helpful.

2012 was described as the "Year of the Star League" in a few BattleChats, and we received a lot of information about that time period. Due to the oddities of the world, the Year of the Star League has actually lasted into 2013, with a lot of new products. (Actually it looks like this is going to last into 2014, with several 2765 products being released.)

2. What are these "Eras" I keep hearing about?
Catalyst has divided the BattleTech history into several specific eras to help people orient themselves.
  • Star League era - Covers the Star League as well as earlier time periods like the Age of War. Roughly 2315-2780.
  • Succession Wars era - This is the setting of the earlier BattleTech universe. Roughly 2781-3049.
  • Clan Invasion era - This introduced the Clans (obviously). Roughly 3049-3061.
  • Civil War era - The FedCom Civil War shatters the Federated Commonwealth. Roughly 3062-3067.
  • Jihad era - The Word of Blake, a militant splinter faction of ComStar, punishes the Inner Sphere for betraying their ideals. Roughly 3068-3079.
  • Dark Age era - Covers the Republic of the Sphere time period and the Dark Age proper. Roughly 3080-3145 (and later).
As of July 2011, the Jihad era is winding down and the Dark Age era is starting. Note that these eras apply to all locations in the BattleTech universe, so Operation KLONDIKE takes place during the Succession Wars era, even though the Clans aren't in the Inner Sphere at this time. (The eras also let you know when you can skip a product because it's not relevant to you. If you only play during the Clan Invasion, don't buy Star League stuff.)

3. How can I catch up quickly?
If the overview provided by the Master Timeline isn't detailed enough you may want to read the Era Digests, Era Reports, and Historicals.
  • Era Digests - A "Cliff's Notes" version of history, these are 35-40 page overviews of a particular Era and the important events that happened in it. The Golden Century and Age of War are covered.
  • Era Reports - Designed for people returning to the game, instead of focusing on one faction these documents provide an overview of every faction as of a certain year. Includes every major conflict faced by the faction and information about the people and units that participated. Approximately four times the size of an Era Digest. Currently one exists for 3052 and 3062.
  • Historicals - These are overviews of large operations that were glossed over originally. The founding of the Clans is covered in Historical: Operation KLONDIKE, while the Reunification War and early Star League are examined in Historical: Reunification War. Historical: War of 3039 covers the War of 3039, while Historical: Brush Wars covers Anton Marik's Revolt, the Andurien Secession, and the formation of the Free Rasalhague Republic.
Here's the "straight from Herb" description:
It is essentially thus:

Historicals - Print book. Military focus, aimed at recounting the events of a single war, often with deployment tables and maps. Rules chapter may provide new equipment and Record Sheets.

Era Report - Print book. Generalized focus, covering the broader aspects of the age in question, including any conflicts of interest. Tracks included to seed campaigns set in the age (because Tracks are largely built for player use, rather than fixed scenarios, they are not considered "historical" per se). Rules chapter covers key characters, noteworthy military commands, and role-playing support, but no new equipment is introduced or statted out.

Era Digest - PDF-exclusive. Small-scale version of the Era Reports, but covering eras of play deemed less popular and/or less conducive to full-print treatment. No Tracks presented. Rules chapter includes role-playing support, and a few new units appropriate to the age, with Record Sheets.

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas

Background for each era is available in these products:

There are also some older sourcebooks available from the Catalyst Web Store.

GAMEPLAY CHANGES
1. What's changed in Total Warfare?
The highlights:
  • Physical attacks now use Piloting skill.
  • Infernos, Flamers and Plasma weapons were overhauled. (And in the case of Plasma weapons, introduced.)
  • Tanks and infantry now have updated rules that make them more effective on the battlefield. (No more wiping out an infantry platoon in one round.)
  • Pulse lasers, Ultra ACs, and Rotary ACs cannot use Targeting Computers to make an aimed shot, but they do get the -1 to hit modifier.
  • Partial cover rules have changed.
  • Artillery and Mines are now at the Advanced Level, so you probably won't see them in tournaments.
  • Some former Level 3 equipment has been moved to Total Warfare and is now Tournament Legal. (I'll let you explore the book to see for yourself.)
  • Anti-Missile Systems have changed slightly.

Of course you could also look at the Classic BattleTech Quick-Start Rules (PDF). The best part: It's free!

These two documents do a nice job of summing up the changes: Compentium to BMRr Changes Total Warfare Changes. (Thanks to ColBosch and MadCapellan for making them, and Xotl for hosting them.)

2. What do I really need to play?
Your record sheets, dice, and Total Warfare or the BattleMech Manual. (Don't worry about Total Warfare being huge compared to the other rulebooks. Most of the page count comes from providing examples to clarify things and fiction that introduces each section.) You can buy the ]BattleTech Beginner Box or BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat when they'r e released and get started that way. If you have minis, great! If you don't have minis, no problem. Just use LEGO figures or some other proxy/stand-in for the 'Mechs you want to use. I've even used slips of paper. There are some "cardstock" 'Mech standups available at Pryde Rock Industries. Forum member Sartis has also created a bunch of nice paper standups.

Tactical Operations includes new weapons, terrain types, and support vehicles. It's neat to have, but not required for gameplay.
Strategic Operations includes advanced AeroSpace combat and units (WarShips, Space Stations) and BattleForce. Again, neat to have and vital if you're a hard core AeroTech fan, but not required.
Interstellar Operations includes a complete list of every weapon ever made in the BattleTech universe and several new unit types. Like Tactical Operations, it's neat to have but not required.

One excellent resource is the BattleTech: Core Rulebooks Primer (PDF). This free PDF file explains how the core books (Total Warfare, Tactical Ops, etc.) all interact. Very helpful when you're trying to figure out what you need. Ben Rome put together a draft Tactical Guide you might find useful. It's in six parts but it's still fairly short. (That link has them in reverse chronological order.)

3. Where is AeroTech?
Apparently AeroTech never sold well, so CGL incorporated it into Total Warfare (gameplay rules), TechManual (Construction of DropShips, AeroSpace and Conventional Fighters), and Strategic Operations ("advanced" AeroTech gameplay, JumpShip/WarShip construction).

4. What is Alpha Strike?
Alpha Strike is a "...new, fast-playing form of the BattleTech game of futuristic, armored combat." It's intended to appeal to tabletop miniatures wargamers who play Flames of War, Warhammer, Warhammer 40K, Warmahordes, etc. It uses BattleForce style stats and provides rules for using BattleTech units on hexless mapboards. Several long time BattleTech players are thrilled with it because it eliminates a lot of paperwork and plays pretty quickly. (See the Alpha Strike Forum for more info.)

RULES LEVEL
The old Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 designations have been replaced. Instead we now use these levels:
  • Quick Start- This level basically cuts off the bottom half of a 'Mech record sheet (no Internal Structure or Critical Hit table) to introduce new players to the mechanics of movement, weapons fire, etc. without overloading them. Keeps the action moving. Information included in the 25th Anniversary Introductory Box Set.
  • Introductory - This is roughly equivalent to the old Level 1 rules. Features Succession Wars era technology.  Information included in the 25th Anniversary Introductory Box Set.
  • Tournament Legal - The new baseline, this equipment can be used at a tournament, home game, or anywhere else.
  • Advanced - This equipment cannot be used at a tournament, but has entered production in the universe. Mostly found in Tactical Operations.
  • Experimental - This equipment cannot be used at a tournament. It hasn't entered regular production. Mostly found in Tactical Operations.
NOTE: After 3090, several technologies that were considered Advanced or Experimental were redesignated Tournament Legal. See Technical Readout: Prototypes and Technical Readout: 3145for more information. Note that this only applies to eras after 3090, so Star League, Succession Wars, and Clan Invasion campaigns aren't affected.

TECHNICAL READOUTS AND RECORD SHEETS

1. Can I use my old record sheets? Yes.

2. Can I use my old Technical Readouts?
Yes, but there've been a couple changes that may affect the units inside them. (TRO's with "Upgrade" or "Reprint" in the title typically have these fixed units in them.) Ferro-fibrous armor now rounds DOWN, not up. Several units were affected by this. The easiest way to deal with it is to purchase the updated Record Sheets package. Blackjack Jones has created a list of the affected 'Mechs and vehicles, and what changes were made. That list was in this post, but I needed more room so it was split off into the 'Mechs and Vehicles affected by Ferro-Fibrous and Fractional Accounting changes post.

3. How to the older TRO's relate to the newer TROs?
This table shows how the TRO's relate to each other. (If there's a blank entry under Record Sheets it means that no record sheets have been released for that product. Search the main Books Page for the latest information.) Also, if the title isn't linked, you'll need to search a site like DriveThruRPG.com to get the file since it's not in Catalyst's online store at the moment.
FASA/Fanpro TRO (Older)Catalyst TRO (Current)Record Sheets
27503039 (SLDF Mechs w/Succession Wars era tech)Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged
27503050 Upgrade (All Mechs, vehicles, AeroSpace Fighters, most with Star League era tech)Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade, Inner Sphere,
Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade, Clan & Star League
27503057 Revised (DropShips, WarShips)
DropShips and JumpShips3057 Revised (DropShips, WarShips, Small Craft)
3025/3025 Revised3039Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged
3025 (DropShips)3057 Revised
3025 (LAMs)3085Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge
3026/3026 Revised3039Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged
3026 Revised (Some vehicles)3075Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged
3050/3050 Revised3050 UpgradeRecord Sheets: 3050 Upgrade, Inner Sphere,
Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade, Clan & Star League
30553055 UpgradeRecord Sheets: 3055 Upgrade Unabridged
30573057 Revised
3057 (Omnifighters)3055 Upgrade
30583058 UpgradeRecord Sheets: 3058 Update Unabridged (Clan & Star League),
Record Sheets: 3058 Update Unabridged (Inner Sphere)
30603060 ReprintRecord Sheets: 3060 Unabridged
30673067 ReprintRecord Sheets: 3067 Unabridged
Vehicle AnnexTechnical Readout: Vehicle Annex, Revised (PDF)
Project Phoenix3085Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Project Phoenix

4. What's an Experimental TRO?
The Experimental TRO series is a list of PDF only products that showcase how to use experimental and advanced equipment from Tactical Operations. The XTRO: Primitives series also shows a lot of 'Mechs and vehicles from the Age of War. Pretty neat stuff. The TRO:Prototypes product has a lot of these units as well.

5. The construction rules aren't in Total Warfare! What gives?
The construction rules for all of the basic combat units can be found in the TechManual.

6. Is there any software that I can use to make my own record sheets/units?
There are several options:

7. Where can I find unit availability information? What is the MUL?
Unit availability information can be found by searching the Master Unit List (a.k.a. the MUL). It's a website that lists many of the 'Mechs, Fighters, tanks, etc. available to the various factions. (This site is a work in progress, so don't be surprised if you can't find a particular unit. CGL is adding content as they're updating the TRO's and Record Sheets, so it may take a while to be complete.)

8. Where can I find Random Assignment Tables?
Most products have one, but they're not comprehensive. Xotl has put together a nice set of RATs for 3025 and 3050. You can find them in the Topic: 3025-3050 Faction Assignment & Rarity Tables thread.

THE UNSEEN
A long drawn out mess regarding images that is thankfully behind us now. This section is here for historical purposes only.
1. What are The Unseen?
To make a long story short The Unseen are the 'Mechs from the original boxed set, specifically the ones that were first seen in Robotech/Macross. (The Warhammer, Archer, Rifleman, Wasp, Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Marauder, Marauder II, Crusader, and the LAMs.) Apparently FASA used these images without securing the proper rights to the images and the owner of these images sued FASA. FASA lost and had to pull the images.

1.1 What are the Reseen?
On the heels of the Unseen problem, FanPro (Catalyst's predecessor) commissioned new artwork to bring the Unseen back into the universe. They did this because the Unseen were the "core designs" used by many players. These new designs were introduced in Technical Readout: Project Phoenix. These new 'Mechs were referred to as the Reseen, and represent "evolved" versions of the Unseen.

1.2 Where can I learn more about this? Where can I get the long story instead of the short one?
The Unseen - a Reseen IIC Explanation

COMPUTER GAMES
1. Why aren't there CGL-branded BattleTech computer games?
A simple reason: CGL doesn't own the electronic rights to BattleTech. Microsoft does. They licensed these to Smith and Tinker, who's working with Piranha to develop a game. MechWarrior Online has been released. Harebraned Schemes has also released BattleTech on Steam, GoG, and Humble.

2. Those are cool but don't have options I want. How can I get my BT fix?
The best option (IMHO) is MegaMek. It's faithful to the board game, so if you like the tactical perspective rather than the first person perspective used in the MechWarrior franchise, you're in luck. There's more info at the MegaMek site, http://megamek.info/.

MechCommander, MechCommander Gold, and MechCommander 2 used to be available for free download, but I can't find valid links anywhere. (Though Microsoft has made the MechCommander Source Code available for download so if you're a programmer you can use that as a starting point.)

WHERE CAN I GET AWESOME MAPS FOR THE INNER SPHERE?
There's a map at the end of the Field Reports that shows the relevant realm. These maps are duplicated at the end of the Objectives series as well. These products cost just under $5 each.

For free images, the best place to get them is from Øystein's web site. He has pre-Dark Age maps and Dark Age era maps available.

WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION
There are several posts and websites that have more information and resources people have found useful. Some of the most popular are:
  • Topic: You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what?- Sartis' post on what to buy after getting the Introductory Boxed Set.
  • Catalyst Game Labs online store
  • Camo Specs Online- This CGL affiliated site not only has paint schemes on miniatures, but shows you how to add them yourself. (Most of the minis in the core rulebooks came from CamoSpecs Online.)
  • www.catalystdemos.com- This site allows you to find other players and official events in your area.
  • Master Unit List (a.k.a. the MUL)- It's a website that lists many of the 'Mechs, Fighters, tanks, etc. available to the various factions. (This site is a work in progress, so don't be surprised if you can't find a particular unit. CGL is adding content as they're updating the TRO's and Record Sheets, so it may take a while to be complete.) (Yes, I already mentioned it once. It's that important to me.)
  • Sarna.net-The BattleTech Wiki has lots of good stuff. (Full disclosure, I'm an Admin over there. Explains the userbar in my signature.)
  • Solaris7.com
  • Ourbattletech.com-"OurBattleTech.com is all about fostering Creative BattleTech Development. That means we're here to help you create, develop and foster your BattleTech hobby. Whether it is a full blown Alternate Universe or short story, this website exists to help bring your ideas to life."
  • Inner Sphere Atlas
  • BattleTech Player Database
  • HPG Station-A German site run by DarkISI. "Including news (US & German), miniature construction guides, short stories... and whatever else we want to publish."

Revision History
2011/12/02 - Updated Record Sheet links to point to BattleCorps.com.
2011/12/27 - Added timeline info
2012/01/04 - Added QuickMech to software section
2012/01/06 - Added skiltao's BattleTech timeline image (Sorry it took so long!)
2012/01/31 - Added Blackjack Jones' list of units affected by fractional accounting and ferro-fibrous armor change.
2012/01/31 - Added link to Experimental TRO product page.
2012/02/07 - Added more vehicles to Blackjack Jones' list of vehicles affected by fractional accounting and ferro-fibrous armor change.
2012/02/07 - Found that the Master Timeline link was invalid and indicated that with strikethrough text.
2012/02/13 - Fixed broken link to Xotl's Rarity Tables.
2012/03/20 - Updated Unseen and Reseen per Frabby's suggestion.
2012/03/21 - Added Herb's description of Historicals, Era Reports & Era Digests. Updated links to various products in "Eras" section.
2012/07/23 - Added links to Field Manual SLDF and Era Report 2750.
2012/08/03 - Added links for Unseen discussion.
2012/12/03 - Added MechWarrior Tactics link, link to Record Sheets 3067 Unabridged.
2012/12/07 - Updated several product links. Updated House Book locations. Added "Preseen" comment. Added link to HPG Station.
2013/01/25 - removed external links to Unseen issue.
2013/03/04 - Added Liberation of Terra, 2765 Field Reports, DATP info to post per Nerroth's suggestion. Added TRO:VA Revised link.
2013/03/05 - Tweaked Dark Age era information.
2013/03/22 - Added link to Ben Rome's tactical guide per Pa Weasley's suggestion.
2013/04/23 - Moved Blackjack Jones' list of 'Mechs and vehicles into its own post to allow more source updates. Updated links and info RE: Era Report 3145 and TRO:3145. Removed link to MekTek MechWarrior 4 because it's no longer available.
2013/04/24 - Removed link to MechWarrior: Living Legends as it's no longer available.
2013/06/20 - Added link to Ourbattletech.com
2013/12/30 - Updated links to FM3145, TRO3145
2013/12/31 - Updated more links, added info RE: FR2765, links to Eras and updated Timeline note.
2014/07/23 - Added links to "Compendium to BMRr Changes.pdf" and "Total Warfare Changes.txt"
2015/02/13 - Added link to Sartis' "Next purchase after boxed set" post
2016/07/20 - Added link to Sartis' "Papertech III: The Search for Cheap Counters" post
2016/09/12 - removed Sartis' "next purchase after boxed set" post
2017/01/02 - Updated links to Xotl's Total Warfare differences documents.
2018/06/12 - Updated the timeline and computer games section per plutonik's comments. Updated links that were going to BattleCorps.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2018, 07:05:32 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Returning players, please read this post.
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2011, 13:21:28 »
Primitive is a tech base, not a rules level.
But Introductory is a separate rules level. 
« Last Edit: 07 July 2011, 13:41:05 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2011, 13:28:50 »
"A+++++. Would read again."

Very great write up, mbear. I'm unfamiliar with the original version of the post and if you just adapted it or wrote it whole cloth, but it should be stickified and used as a reference in the responses to the common posts by newcomers/returnees (as was your intent, I'm sure).

+1 HPG Networks for you.

- Rev

Arctic Fox

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2011, 13:34:46 »
Historicals don't only cover conflicts that occurred before the Succession Wars, since you have War of 3039 and Brush Wars which happen during the Succession Wars era. As far as I understand it, they're supposed to detail conflicts which were formerly mostly background information.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2011, 13:40:15 by Arctic Fox »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2011, 13:37:30 »
MegaMekLab can be added to the list of software for making record sheets.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Tizona

• Sergeant
  • Caput Castellae
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2011, 13:42:50 »
Neat idea, I was missing this feature in the current forum.

I'm not sure if it categorizes as TRO, but first half of DropShips and JumpShips (FASA 1619) is an AeroTech TRO. I doubt there may exist a returning player coming from so long ago as to having missed TRO3057, but you might include it also in the list.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2011, 13:49:53 by Tizona »

MEP

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2011, 14:01:03 »
I think it would be helpful to add a section in this post about the MUL—what it is, what it will be and why people keep talking about it. It seems a lot of newcomers/returning players end up asking, "What is this MUL that people keep talking about?" It helps that it's also one of the most interesting new projects in the line right now, and will only become more so as it continues to be developed.
In the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?"

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2011, 14:07:11 »

GAMEPLAY CHANGES
1. What's changed in Total Warfare?
The highlights:
  • Physical attacks now use Piloting skill instead of Gunnery.
  • Infernos, Flamers and Plasma weapons were overhauled. (And in the case of Plasma weapons, introduced.)

Of course you could also look at the Classic BattleTech Quick-Start Rules (PDF). The best part: It's free!

for the sake of accuracy, physical attacks never used Gunnery, they had a base number specific to the type of attack. Also, flamers are pretty much the same, no? There are other changes that affect flamers (external heat cap, infantry taking damage differently) but the flamer is still 3 heat/2 damage (or heat) and the same range.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2011, 14:39:34 »
A few more corrections: The Reseen are the 3067+ redesigns of the Unseens.  The Dougram/Crusher Joe/other designs don't really have a collective name yet.

Also: CGL don't have printings of 3055U, 3057 or 3067 yet. 

But this is a great resource.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2011, 14:43:29 »
A few more corrections: The Reseen are the 3067+ redesigns of the Unseens.  The Dougram/Crusher Joe/other designs don't really have a collective name yet.

I think it would be better to just reword the headings.  Older and Current.  the important part is that TR 3050 Upgrade replaced 3050 and 3050 revised, not that it was or wasn't a catalyst print?

TR 3057 Revised replaced TR 3057.  There's no 3057 Upgrade.
The 3025 Revised and 3050 revised should also be mentioned as being replaced by 3039 and 3050 Upgrade, along with the original 3025, 3026 and 3050?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2011, 14:44:34 »
as a point of order, Miniatures are not REQUIRED for gameplay
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2011, 14:45:55 »

Maybe add a (or something to represent units in the game) after minis?

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2011, 15:03:33 »
I think it would be better to just reword the headings.  Older and Current.  the important part is that TR 3050 Upgrade replaced 3050 and 3050 revised, not that it was or wasn't a catalyst print?

The 3025 Revised and 3050 revised should also be mentioned as being replaced by 3039 and 3050 Upgrade, along with the original 3025, 3026 and 3050?

Yeah, that's a good point.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #13 on: 07 July 2011, 15:05:41 »
MegaMekLab can be added to the list of software for making record sheets.
Added.

Primitive is a tech base, not a rules level.
But Introductory is a separate rules level.
Fixed.

Done and done!

Historicals don't only cover conflicts that occurred before the Succession Wars, since you have War of 3039 and Brush Wars which happen during the Succession Wars era. As far as I understand it, they're supposed to detail conflicts which were formerly mostly background information.
Also fixed.

Also, flamers are pretty much the same, no? There are other changes that affect flamers (external heat cap, infantry taking damage differently) but the flamer is still 3 heat/2 damage (or heat) and the same range.
Yes flamers are pretty much the same when you're fighting in a 'Mech, but because the other stuff I thought it merited a mention. Hopefully it'll lead them to the external heat cap all by themselves.

I think it would be helpful to add a section in this post about the MUL—what it is, what it will be and why people keep talking about it. It seems a lot of newcomers/returning players end up asking, "What is this MUL that people keep talking about?" It helps that it's also one of the most interesting new projects in the line right now, and will only become more so as it continues to be developed.
Good idea. Added to the Faction availability info question.

Whoops! My mistake. Fixed, and fixed.

Maybe add a (or something to represent units in the game) after minis?
Good point, and added. If anyone has a link to the cardstock 'Mech images, I'd love to put them in the main article.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2011, 15:14:44 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 07 July 2011, 15:17:51 »
THE UNSEEN
1. What are The Unseen?
To make a long story short The Unseen are the 'Mechs from the original boxed set, specifically the ones that were first seen in Robotech/Macross. (The Warhammer, Archer, Rifleman, Wasp, Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Marauder, Ostsol, Ostroc, Ostscout, and Crusader.) Apparently FASA used these images without securing the proper rights to the images and the owner of these images sued FASA. FASA lost and had to pull the images.

In my most recent record sheet books (RS 3085 Project Phoenix, RS 3039u), the Ost-mechs are using their unseen artwork.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #15 on: 07 July 2011, 15:22:53 »
In my most recent record sheet books (RS 3085 Project Phoenix, RS 3039u), the Ost-mechs are using their unseen artwork.
Fixed.
Be the Loremaster:

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 07 July 2011, 15:26:56 »
there are no models from TR 2750 in 3039.  there are downgraded versions of those chassis in 3039, but none of the specific designs from 2750 are in 3039.  they are all in 3050.
The HGN-732 (the original gauss version) is in TR 3050U for example.  The version in 3039 is an autocannon variant that wasn't shown in 2750.  (first introduced in 3025 Revised?)
3050U also includes the 2750 aerospace fighters in addition to the mechs and vehicles.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 07 July 2011, 15:34:46 »
Good point, and added. If anyone has a link to the cardstock 'Mech images, I'd love to put them in the main article.

This /might/ be what you're looking for. Made (or provided) by Bedwyr and hosted by Medron's PRI: http://www.pryderockindustries.com/dl_boards.php#CTR

Hope this helps,
Rev

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #18 on: 07 July 2011, 15:37:14 »
Beat me by THAT much....;)

Also, there are no AeroSpace Fighters in 3057 Revised.

Does anybody know where the 2750 ASFs went to?

And there is only one unit in DropShips and JumpShips that I know of that is built as an ASF, the Mark VII Lander.  There are no true ASFs in that book that I can remember.
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 07 July 2011, 15:47:26 »
Does anybody know where the 2750 ASFs went to?

3050U

calendraug

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 07 July 2011, 17:24:49 »
I downloaded counter sheets from the PRI site.

This site has lots of useful stuff including pics if you want to make your own counters.
http://www.mechforce.us/downloads.php

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #21 on: 07 July 2011, 22:34:29 »
Caught something else in the unseen section

The Marauder II as well as the three original LAMs are missing from the list.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 08 July 2011, 02:40:53 »
  • Clan Invasion era - This introduced the Clans (obviously). Roughly 3049-3067.
[
Clan Invasion Era is the time between the beginning of the Clan Invasion and the Inner Sphere's victory at the Great Refusal. So it should be 3049-3061 (followed by Civil War Era 3062-3067).
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #23 on: 08 July 2011, 05:57:23 »
there are no models from TR 2750 in 3039.  there are downgraded versions of those chassis in 3039, but none of the specific designs from 2750 are in 3039.  they are all in 3050.
3039 has them under the "Star League" header. As they're built with Hegemony "export only" (Succession Wars era/tournament legal) technology, I said 3039 had SLDF non-Royal variants. Seems OK to me.  :)
3050U also includes the 2750 aerospace fighters in addition to the mechs and vehicles.
Updated.

This /might/ be what you're looking for. Made (or provided) by Bedwyr and hosted by Medron's PRI: http://www.pryderockindustries.com/dl_boards.php#CTR

Hope this helps,
Rev
That is what I was looking for, and it does. Added.
Caught something else in the unseen section

The Marauder II as well as the three original LAMs are missing from the list.
Added.

This site has lots of useful stuff including pics if you want to make your own counters.
http://www.mechforce.us/downloads.php
I'm hesitant to include this site in the message. It looks like it's straight copy/paste of existing resources. But I'm sure someone will see the link and find it useful.  :)

Clan Invasion Era is the time between the beginning of the Clan Invasion and the Inner Sphere's victory at the Great Refusal. So it should be 3049-3061 (followed by Civil War Era 3062-3067).
Fixed.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2011, 06:05:13 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #24 on: 08 July 2011, 06:39:15 »
Gameplay Changes:
Ultras and RACs are also unable to make an aimed shot with a targeting computer while in rapid-fire modes.  You might want to note that artillery and mines were moved out of the tournament level rules while some items from MaxTech (non-standard gyros, LFF, HFF, IS small 'Mech cockpits, improved jump jets) were moved into them.

A lot of the rulebooks' page count is also given over to various short stories.

TRO and RS Notes, in approximate order:
As nckestrel already pointed out, none of what's in TRO2750 is in TRO3039.  TRO2750 does not contain the Royals, it contains Regular Army units.  The Royal versions of those are primarily in TRO3075 and were developed partially in response to the fact that the Hegemony's attempted tech embargo wasn't working, so their core formations received major upgrades.  (See Reunification War page 165 among other sources.)  The units under the Star League header are primarily post-Star League downgrades that were put into TRO3025 Revised to replace the Unseen.

The LAMs from TRO3025 are in TRO3085.  The DropShips are in TRO3057R.

The OmniFighters from TRO3057 are in TRO3055U.  There's no TRO3057U; the only other version is TRO3057 Revised which is currently under review.

Units with variants in RS Upgrades were folded into the appropriate RS volumes for TRO3050U, TRO3055U, TRO3058U, and TRO3060; vehicles without a 'modern' entry like the Demolisher went into RS3058U Unabridged.

TRO Vehicle Annex isn't, to the best of my knowledge, slated for replacement but it is going to be exhaustively checked for compliance with TM support vehicle rules.  New variants of a few units in here have turned up in Klondike and Reunification War.

Unseen
FanPro was running the show when Project Phoenix came out, not Catalyst.  It was under Catalyst that it looked like all the problems with the Unseen were going away.  That... didn't quite work out, unfortunately.

Unseen has a few different meanings because people tend to be a little sloppy in terminology.  The 'Mechs that are still properly the Unseen in the board rules, the whole set of 'Mechs that were once Unseen (including the various ones in TRO3055U and the IICs also covered in TROPP), and most often in my experience, it refers to the various box set designs, both those that are still unseable and the ones that have been able to quit hiding behind fence posts.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2011, 06:46:35 by Moonsword »

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 08 July 2011, 08:55:31 »
This might lead to Thread Mission Creep, but maybe have a section of non-CGL resources sites. Give new arrivals a chance to see what else is out there, hook up with fan bases active elsewhere, find online sites to buy the stuff, research subjects, etc. The whole "teach to fish" thing.

Examples:
 - CamoSpecs Online
 - Inner Sphere Atlas
 - Pryde Rock Industries
 - BattleTech Player Database
 - Solaris 7
 - BattleCorps
 - and that online encyclopedia devoted to Battletech...what's its name again?
« Last Edit: 08 July 2011, 08:58:52 by Revanche »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #26 on: 08 July 2011, 10:38:14 »
Well done. I second the sticky
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #27 on: 08 July 2011, 12:15:05 »
- CamoSpecs Online
 - BattleCorps

CamoSpecs is run by or at least closely affiliated with CGL.  BattleCorps is the official shop for CGL, an official source of fiction, a source of scenarios, and another community besides.

www.sarna.net

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #28 on: 08 July 2011, 13:28:39 »
Gameplay Changes:
Ultras and RACs are also unable to make an aimed shot with a targeting computer while in rapid-fire modes.  You might want to note that artillery and mines were moved out of the tournament level rules while some items from MaxTech (non-standard gyros, LFF, HFF, IS small 'Mech cockpits, improved jump jets) were moved into them.

A lot of the rulebooks' page count is also given over to various short stories.
Added info.

TRO and RS Notes, in approximate order:
As nckestrel already pointed out, none of what's in TRO2750 is in TRO3039.  TRO2750 does not contain the Royals, it contains Regular Army units.  The Royal versions of those are primarily in TRO3075 and were developed partially in response to the fact that the Hegemony's attempted tech embargo wasn't working, so their core formations received major upgrades.  (See Reunification War page 165 among other sources.)  The units under the Star League header are primarily post-Star League downgrades that were put into TRO3025 Revised to replace the Unseen.
I freely concede the point that the Royal/Star League variants of Thug, Thorn, Black Knight, etc. are in 3050U. And as I pointed out, the "export"/downgraded versions of the Star League 'Mechs are in fact in 3039. So I'm not going to change it.

The LAMs from TRO3025 are in TRO3085.  The DropShips are in TRO3057R.

The OmniFighters from TRO3057 are in TRO3055U.
Added, added, and added, but I think we might be getting a little too granular now.
There's no TRO3057U; the only other version is TRO3057 Revised which is currently under review.
yes, NCKestrel brought that to my attention and I fixed it everywhere except that one place that you spotted.  :(
Units with variants in RS Upgrades were folded into the appropriate RS volumes for TRO3050U, TRO3055U, TRO3058U, and TRO3060; vehicles without a 'modern' entry like the Demolisher went into RS3058U Unabridged.
I'm thinking of adding another column to the TRO table that would link to the record sheets. I'm also thinking of linking to the TROs themselves. Hmmmmm.....
TRO Vehicle Annex isn't, to the best of my knowledge, slated for replacement but it is going to be exhaustively checked for compliance with TM support vehicle rules.  New variants of a few units in here have turned up in Klondike and Reunification War.
OK.
Unseen
FanPro was running the show when Project Phoenix came out, not Catalyst.  It was under Catalyst that it looked like all the problems with the Unseen were going away.  That... didn't quite work out, unfortunately.
Fixed.
Unseen has a few different meanings because people tend to be a little sloppy in terminology. Several other good points removed for brevity.
Agreed, but since my goal is to provide a quick "getting back up to speed" document for returning players, I'm not going to get into that here. :) It just gets so unwieldy so fast.

This might lead to Thread Mission Creep, but maybe have a section of non-CGL resources sites. Clipped some stuff
www.sarna.net
Thanks Moonsword, but that's Rev teasing me because I'm an admin at Sarna and didn't add it to the list. (I didn't want to look like I was trolling for contributors, Revanche.  :P)

I'm not sure about this. I've got the sites you mentioned in there, Rev, but I want to avoid adding a lot of stuff for people to wade through. (The goal is to make their lives easier, not give them more homework! :) ) This seems like a good list, and if/when a new resource that gets a lot of mentions on the boards is created, I'll add it to the list.
Be the Loremaster:

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 08 July 2011, 13:52:25 »
Added info.
I freely concede the point that the Royal/Star League variants of Thug, Thorn, Black Knight, etc. are in 3050U. And as I pointed out, the "export"/downgraded versions of the Star League 'Mechs are in fact in 3039. So I'm not going to change it.

There are no Royal Thug, Thorn, Black Knight, etc in 3050U.  3050U has the standard Star League variants only. (with like one exception where a royal variant is mentioned in the variant text on one? black knight, maybe king crab)
The export/downgraded versions are not in 2750.  So 3039 doesn't have anything from 2750.

HGN-733: downgrade version.  in 3039, was in 3025 revised.  never in 2750.
HGN-732: star league standard version.  first in 2750.  then in 3050 revised?  now in 3050U.
HGN-732b: royal version.  introduced in 3075.  never in 2750.

That's why we're saying there's no 2750 > 3039 connection.  It's no more correct than saying 2750 > 3075 for battlemechs.

Register