Author Topic: Makes and Models of Equipment  (Read 3632 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Makes and Models of Equipment
« on: 29 March 2019, 13:31:58 »
Hi there!

So I am working a side-project supplemental to my Der Tag AU and part-way through I realized that others might be able to make use of it as well; at least before I get too much of my grubby ideas all over it.

So what is this?

Well remember back in the Heavy Metal programs; how there was a part of the pro gram that helped you make a technical readout, complete with menus of all the makes and models of equipment then known?

Well maybe, maybe not; but I started with those lists and I went through a variety of other sources to bring these lists up to date and expand them using information from the following sources, all but one of which are canon or apocryphal. Sorry, I was 75% of the way through on that one when I realized that a full-canon source might have more wide appeal and it would have been a lot of work to go back and fit it all.

What it is, is; as best as I can manage; a complete list of makes and models of Engines, JumpJets, Armour, Weapons, Equipment, Comms and TTS as I can manage.

What I did not manage to do was find more than one named model of UMU.

What is not included; named melee weapons. Because TPTB have been very inconsistent with when these are bespoke to the mechs they are made for and when they come with their own make and model from the company. Chassis, Frames and a few other items; because for my purposes I am going to be mainly making a new design based off an old one and so will be referring to another TRO; so this was needless labour. In addition; I have been into BT since the mid-90s and I still am not sure just what constitutes a chassis and based on the fluff, neither are most of the writers. It's fine; but I am not going to get wrapped around the axel about it. Tank or part.

I did the same thing with the named ship engines/drives/reactors in 2750 and Delrane's.

Where this falls short. I have not gone through and either removed or added all the various types of electronic add-ons to each and every Comms system and TTS I found. That would have been insane. Nor have I removed these when present. Maybe they are integrated in some cases and maybe not, but it seemed unnecessary in any event.

Where I screwed up. I am *pretty darn sure* I stopped myself before I ADDED any of my own stuff to this list or anything from non-canon sources not cited here. I may be wrong! I just noticed that the Cirixes LaseCheck is still in there. Which might exist in Canon, but I made it up. Sorry. I MAY ALSO HAVE MISSED SOMETHING SOMEWHERE! If I did, i would be indebted if someone could point this out to me where I have overlooked such an item.

Where I made a judgement call. In both full-canon and apocryphal, as well as non-canon sources, new and old; i found anomalies. These were instances of possible typos or mistakes. When it seemed reasonable I have opted *NOT* to reporduce these as-found, but to rationalize them into the existing framework. I also made a few choices where it seemed a given item; normally a weapon being referred to was clearly the same as already listed, but just not given a full name.

This file contains information from the following sources or at least I scanned them for relevant data

TROs:

3025 original
3025 Revised
3050 original
3050 upgrade
3055 original
3055 upgrade
3058 upgrade
3060 revised
3085 Supplemental
3145 plus all faction books
Project Phoenix
Vehicle Annex Revised
Succession Wars

Apocryphal Magazines:

BattleTechnology, Complete
StarDrive 1/1
StarDate 3/1, 3/2, 3/3, 3/4,  3/5 and 3/6

Non-Canon Sources:

April Fools Day Omega
Delranes Fighting Ships 3061, Revised Edition

Other Sources:

HB: Major Periphery States
HB: House Davion
HB: House Marik
HB: House Steiner
HB: House Kurita
HB: House Liao
FM: ComStar
The Fall of Terra
Golden Century
Operation: Klondike
Age of War
BattlePack: 4th Succession War
20 year update
Dawn of the Jihad
FM: 3145
Interstellar Players 1-3
Jihad; Final Reckoning
Jihad; Hot Spots: 3070, 3076, Terra
Jihad Secrets
Wars of the Republic Era
Liberation of Terra
FM: SLDF
Shattered Fortress
Wars of Reiving
1st & 2nd Sucession Wars
Reunification War

What i was looking for was any passably acceptable source where an item of equipment; such as, say a medium laser; was given a make/model. Thus why the XTROs were not consulted; they do not provide that AFAIK. Ditto, I ignored information which could not be reasonable quantified, such as SuppVee Engines.

Please let me know if I missed a useful source or a make/model of equipment

Thank you for your time and I hope you find this useful!
« Last Edit: 29 March 2019, 13:42:34 by beachhead1985 »
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
Re: Makes and Models of Equipment
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2019, 13:46:00 »
This seems really cool. Maybe post it over on General Discussion, so more people can see it?

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2019, 16:22:52 »
This seems really cool. Maybe post it over on General Discussion, so more people can see it?

You think? I figured here, because of the relation to people using this as a resource for their own work, but I'm open to alternatives.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2019, 16:45:34 »
There was a BattleTechnology that did a very thorough job on TTS... Did you not consider using that as a starting point for those?

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2019, 22:33:04 »
There was a BattleTechnology that did a very thorough job on TTS... Did you not consider using that as a starting point for those?

:'(

That was the second-to-last source I looked at !!!!!!

I did scan and verify those entries though  xp

But I started with the files from my old HM programs and before basically binning the whole effort the guy behind that or people helping him did a great job.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2019, 03:49:51 »
Ah, makes sense...

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2019, 09:52:26 »
Wheee that's a lot of stuff.
I wished they would not have used so many types.

Is there a list with weapon types and faction?
For example Delta Dart LRM for Davion, Shingunga Kurita and Coventry StarFire for Steiner with Holly as the Standard.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2019, 17:21:55 »
Wheee that's a lot of stuff.
I wished they would not have used so many types.

Is there a list with weapon types and faction?
For example Delta Dart LRM for Davion, Shingunga Kurita and Coventry StarFire for Steiner with Holly as the Standard.

Negative. But that's always been pretty fuzzy anyways, besides the Shigunaga.

I only broke it up between Clan and IS *TECH*; so the FedSuns ExoStar Pinnacle Series are in the Clan Section.

A.E. Housman

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2019, 19:24:47 »
The fun part? Try to add quirks to all of the equipment... like the PC game.

I've considered it.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2019, 07:46:04 »
Me like.. :D

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2019, 14:21:11 »
Negative. But that's always been pretty fuzzy anyways, besides the Shigunaga.

I only broke it up between Clan and IS *TECH*; so the FedSuns ExoStar Pinnacle Series are in the Clan Section.
I've always had a passing interest in how these technologies and makes/models proliferate across borders that are nominally at war. I've always tried to include this information in the various homebrew TRO's I make.
Generally I've tended to refer to the various Objective Raids supplements for this information. I've found that the only places it gets really fuzzy is when clones, licensed or otherwise, are involved(ex:Diverse Optics products in OA products tend to be Lushann clones), or parts being imported across national boundaries. The latter is predictably rare. Otherwise, most manufacturers tend to rely on component vendors close to them.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2019, 00:49:02 »
Me like.. :D

Thanks!

I've always had a passing interest in how these technologies and makes/models proliferate across borders that are nominally at war. I've always tried to include this information in the various homebrew TRO's I make.
Generally I've tended to refer to the various Objective Raids supplements for this information. I've found that the only places it gets really fuzzy is when clones, licensed or otherwise, are involved(ex:Diverse Optics products in OA products tend to be Lushann clones), or parts being imported across national boundaries. The latter is predictably rare. Otherwise, most manufacturers tend to rely on component vendors close to them.

Or how about how Multinational Companies like StarCorps and Earthworks manage to operate/cooperate across hostile borders?

A.E. Housman

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2019, 07:13:05 »
Thanks!

Or how about how Multinational Companies like StarCorps and Earthworks manage to operate/cooperate across hostile borders?
Ehh.. That's simple. Star League shenanigans. Both were established on Terra and expanded during the SL era. As the Succession Wars dragged on, subsidiaries eventually became separate companies in all but name, their tenuous links kept alive via Comstar.

Shared technologies and patents, that is, tech that was property of the entire company as a whole during the SL era were shared equally profits wise and were equally available to all. It's with the pre-Revival tech renaissance that things really got interesting. Naturally a subsidiary wishing to participate in tech research within its successor state would be bound by various confidentiality agreements. That's where you get things like certain models of battlemechs only available to certain successor states until another one captures the factory making it.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2019, 00:34:06 »
Ehh.. That's simple. Star League shenanigans. Both were established on Terra and expanded during the SL era. As the Succession Wars dragged on, subsidiaries eventually became separate companies in all but name, their tenuous links kept alive via Comstar.

Shared technologies and patents, that is, tech that was property of the entire company as a whole during the SL era were shared equally profits wise and were equally available to all. It's with the pre-Revival tech renaissance that things really got interesting. Naturally a subsidiary wishing to participate in tech research within its successor state would be bound by various confidentiality agreements. That's where you get things like certain models of battlemechs only available to certain successor states until another one captures the factory making it.

Diverse Optics must still have an incredible legal team.

I'm kinda shocked that the extra-national mega-corps never became a big thing in the game as they did in so many other SF universes.

A.E. Housman

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2019, 08:12:03 »

I'm kinda shocked that the extra-national mega-corps never became a big thing in the game as they did in so many other SF universes.

Well there is Irian and the Sea Foxes but wait till I get to part 4 of my fanfic

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2019, 17:17:51 »

Again, Star League shenanigans greatly simplified it for them.

Territorial State status left the periphery states ripe for economic exploitation and Star League megacorps were encouraged to set up shop and supplant the various homegrown industries.

While the mech factories themselves remained under local control, practically all components became licensed Inner Sphere products. Few local component manufacturers survived this onslaught. Warner for example is I believe the local fusion plant manufacturer in TC but they only use the Warner brand for ASF's, rarely ever for battlemechs, those are often Magna clones. Practically all heavy weapons used in battlemechs coming out of the TC(Donal PPC's, Delta Dart LRM's, Sunglow LL's, Pontiac AC's) are licensed copies built by a single company, Sterope Defense Industries. Ironically, the laser manufacturer in the OA survived. Lushann is to this day well regarded for the quality of its homegrown laser products, though they have also now started producing licensed Diverse Optics clones to break into the Inner Sphere markets.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #16 on: 30 April 2019, 08:58:29 »
Awesome list nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2019, 20:34:15 »
Awesome list nice job.

Thanks!

I'm sure I missed something, somewhere, however.

A.E. Housman