Author Topic: Collaborative Merc Unit  (Read 29205 times)

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Collaborative Merc Unit
« Reply #210 on: 06 December 2018, 17:30:14 »
So you are telling me our combat engineers and jump troopers cannot seize an enemy dropship? They can't get through the doors?

I'm saying it would be tough to break into a dropship that was vigilant and warmed up (it should be both in a battlezone). You could do it but it's very risky and you have a good chance of ending up as char. 

Taking one that is off guard would be the only way to do it and that would be challenging you'd need good recon and a fast team.  Cold to Launch is within 15 minutes (if I remember correctly)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #211 on: 06 December 2018, 17:33:52 »
So the plan is to repair the locust. Ok. I had not done so so far since I wanted group feedback :) We will invest the 6 BP to have either in good working condition then.

Regarding the tanks, I had not thought about that. Right now we have 3 LRM tanks and 2 AC5 tanks. In the game I played with my group we used to have as long range fire support. A kind of short range artillery. The striker is tied to qasim, so is not part of the same pack as the 4 scorpions (2 normal, 2 LRM). My idea for the scorpions is that they belonged to Reach Enterprises, but that can be changed no problem. 

Security problems can be there for sure, but maybe we can keep them as a hook for now. We are having loads of side stuff and not centering with the initial missions :) If we go with a more lighthearted approach to the BT universe infantry will not be that necessary. We can go back and forth on that as well, depending on the mood we want to put forward. If right now we focus on a mech and armor approach, so be it. A single platoon should be plenty.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #212 on: 06 December 2018, 17:41:33 »
I'm definitely down for having a security issue as a hook (I already used it once with Qasim).

Pikes are long range fire support, whether it's 3 AC2, 2 AC5s, or 2 LRM20s you just might need to modify some of the ammo away for armor
A Po is a stronger Scorpion. 
Another Striker might also be nice to replace the missing LRM racks and for parts commonality. 
Scorpions just seem so meh minion to me.  Would rather have something with some bite

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #213 on: 06 December 2018, 18:06:55 »
I'm saying it would be tough to break into a dropship that was vigilant and warmed up (it should be both in a battlezone). You could do it but it's very risky and you have a good chance of ending up as char. 

Taking one that is off guard would be the only way to do it and that would be challenging you'd need good recon and a fast team.  Cold to Launch is within 15 minutes (if I remember correctly)

Pg. 188 Tactical Operations.

TW doesn't have rules for hidden movements moving. But the ATOW stealth skill can be used pretty easily by commandos.

At the end of the day I think most battletech campaigns often revolve around an enemy force that doesn't have any kind of agency.

Anyways. It's moot for me. I bowed out a little while ago and have been around mostly to provide some GM advice and occasionally roleplay the doctor when the opportunity presents itself. School's just keeping me from being able to do to much and like I said I've always struggled against others views of of opposition in battletech. I think this conversation is a good example where the idea of an enemy force boarding a player dropship is impossible but if it was recommended the action be reversed and done to an enemy (and thus gaining a dropship) then it's time to que the a-team theme music.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #214 on: 06 December 2018, 18:22:50 »
Heh... more like the Forza Deici music... :)

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #215 on: 06 December 2018, 18:59:53 »
Seems we are close to lacking a quorum of PCs Elmoth. 

If people are down for it I think we should consider a different type of forum game. 

I have an idea but would be happy to play regardless of decision.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #216 on: 06 December 2018, 21:04:28 »
Seems we are close to lacking a quorum of PCs Elmoth. 

If people are down for it I think we should consider a different type of forum game. 

I have an idea but would be happy to play regardless of decision.

You were all ready to play before I arrived. :) and I warned that school would probably prevent me from participating long. You'll be fine.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #217 on: 07 December 2018, 04:21:07 »
Sharpnel bowed out too, though... I'd at least like to hear AlphaMirage's proposal.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #218 on: 07 December 2018, 06:45:09 »
My proposal is this.
Let's say the Wolf's Dragoons never exist

Instead of The Clans sending a multi-regimental unit with its own Warships they send two Binaries of undercover Scorpion Seekers (with a total of 4 True Seekers, each in command of a Star) plus a support team aboard two Merchants and a Carrack to recon the Inner Sphere.

The two teams will operate independent of one another to cover more ground (essentially allowing people that are not quite so prolific of posters to be part of the secondary team providing updates of their endeavors).  How they operate is left to the Seeker's discretion but bringing attention to yourself could imperil the mission for everyone.

The Carrack CGS Collerane will be establishing a foothold and supply base on some world just outside Inner Sphere space.  The fabrication modules it has at its disposal can create essentially anything given enough time (High tech Clan weapons will obviously take the longest) and resources (that you will have to bring to it).  Each unit has a mobile HPG they can use to communicate with one another and occasionally The Loremaster of the Clans in order to track progress.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #219 on: 07 December 2018, 17:10:55 »
I'm pretty sure they get murdered by Comstar the moment one of their high tech clan weapons gets discovered. Also how are they going to recon the Inner Sphere?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #220 on: 07 December 2018, 17:17:45 »
I'm pretty sure they get murdered by Comstar the moment one of their high tech clan weapons gets discovered. Also how are they going to recon the Inner Sphere?

Open Source Intel gathering, boots on the ground, build a network.  Standard spy stuff the Grand Council doesn't know what's happened post-exodus

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #221 on: 07 December 2018, 17:33:21 »
Ok, It is a radical change in the original idea, that was more the idea of a mech unit starting out and growing from there. This is basically a new layout. Maybe he best idea would be to restart it as another thing? I might try to do something like this with my real world players since they are talking about more mechs and a smaller unit now that they have been playing with a tank platoon for a while.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #223 on: 07 December 2018, 17:44:18 »
Just some advice: You'll have better luck if they're just some seekers that are tripping balls on necrosia and decide they want to go raid star league ruins in the Inner Sphere. The recon hook won't work very well/long and you'll have better rp as Clan Lostech hunters.

and in an Inner Sphere with any kind of agency then clan equipment and /or that fabrication module you're talking about is a death sentence. Which is fine if you're gonna hit an Inner Sphere where the npc's are some final fantasy 1 npc's that are gonna say a line of text to you.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #224 on: 08 December 2018, 04:53:46 »
I proposed to continue the prisión raid to my group of players and move to the periphery afterwards in a short company. They seem to find it appealing, so I'll continue this in the non Canon units section in a modified format. I plan to still allow third party (forum members) implication if you wan to, but it will be somewhat less open ended since my table buddy's will have a large say on this. :)

Thanks everybody for trying. It has been a very interesting learning experience for me.

Cheers
Xavi

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #225 on: 08 December 2018, 04:57:17 »
No worries... best of luck!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #226 on: 09 December 2018, 15:28:15 »
... after the Halimar job we apparently took after all

Yup, you did. Performed quite well except for Anton's blunder in positioning and my tabletop players managing to (finally) get up a decent defence to protect the research building. It was a nice battle. I plan to use some other stuff we developed here. Anton will be moving to the periphery along with the jump troops in brief along with the members of a medium lyran company (griffins, Thunderbolts, Phoenix Hawks) that might have absorbed Reach Enterprises or contracted the services of some of their assets for a Lothian campaign.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #227 on: 09 December 2018, 15:31:42 »
Cool... hope you don't mind my stealing Moro away... I'm writing up Forza Deici for the Non-Canon Units forum...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #228 on: 09 December 2018, 15:32:54 »
No problem at all :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #229 on: 09 December 2018, 15:34:27 »
Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #230 on: 19 February 2019, 16:40:44 »
Since this floundered, I am changing it to a narrative thread that admits posts from whoever it wants. Easy way to do it: it will e a Lone Wolves formation, so people can come and go.

There you go. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Xavi

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #231 on: 24 February 2019, 19:37:54 »
I'll keep an eye out here in case La Famiglia has any "business" that needs to be done...  ^-^

Register