Author Topic: Universe detail for RPG games  (Read 2609 times)

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
Universe detail for RPG games
« on: 04 February 2019, 17:58:11 »
I am going to hold my hand up and admit that I have never played a RPG game set in the BattleTech Universe... I only just about managed to find somebody to play regulat BT!

Anyway... What i do do a lot of is edits on Sarna. The wiki has all the "big stuff" covered  so in the last year or so i have found myself increasingly walking down paths that do not seem to be the common fare to most BT fans. The one that has ended up as a much bigger rabbit hole than I expected has been attempting to coallate all the noble families of the Inner Sphere... A good number are just throw away characters but some of the work has revealed large powerful families that are all but unnoticed ny the fan base.

Anyway, the reason for this post is actually a simple one. I know most of this kind of information is beyond BT games but is it worth doing as an aide to RPG GM's/ Players?

Other things I have been finding myself in putting is planetary locations (city names etc) and in universe foods. Does anybody RPG deep enough for this stuff to matter?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Universe detail for RPG games
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2019, 19:55:57 »
I'll take any and all detail I can get at the AToW level...  8)

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2019, 14:40:47 »
I am glad at least one person thinks it is a good idea  >:D

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2019, 18:58:37 »
I like having throwaway cultural elements at hand to use for characterization. Foods are really good for that, either to reinforce or to undermine cultural stereotypes. Also, region-, profession-, or planet-specific idioms are good.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Register