Author Topic: Favorite Factional Goodies from 3085  (Read 19691 times)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Favorite Factional Goodies from 3085
« on: 08 February 2011, 05:09:40 »
In the spirit of the "Favorite 3085 BA" threads, only more expansive, talk about your favorite new toys that your faction got in TRO 3085 and the Supplemental, and why they're your favorite.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
Re: Favorite Factional Goodies from 3085
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2011, 08:14:21 »
Well, since you ask in the IS forums, I guess that you prefer that we cover IS designs, and with faction in singular I have to limit myself to Lyrans.

Of the Lyran stuff, my favorite is the Morgenstern. It is a good omni-fighter that replaces three older designs, of which one (Lucifer) has a bad reputation.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2011, 10:24:20 »
Well considering in the IS I'm more FS and Cappies, I'm going to go with the Shen Yi. Is it efficient? No. Is it fun? Yes. Huge amounts of potential damage? Correct. Any chance of using it? None. The thing is very usable, but is such a WTF design that it's just dripping with character.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2011, 10:49:34 »
I'm just happy the RotS exists now and is getting some goodies to play with. O0
CDT Agent #319

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2011, 10:54:56 »
I'm very fond of the Fennec.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2011, 10:56:25 »
I'm very fond of the Fennec.

As am I. It's ugly as sin, uses obsolete tech, and is the posterchild for a type of tech (C3) that the FS barely even uses. Yet somehow, it all just works.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2011, 11:02:57 »
As am I. It's ugly as sin, uses obsolete tech, and is the posterchild for a type of tech (C3) that the FS barely even uses. Yet somehow, it all just works.

We've actually had a number of faster light and medium C3 slave units for a while now (Stealth, Javelin, Centurion, etc.) and nothing really able to function as a good fast C3 master, so it fills a needed niche. As for looks, well, at least Chaffee didn't draw it.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2011, 11:10:12 »
^Exactly. The Fedsuns don't make much use of C3, but because they do in fact have the designs in production, they would likely make far more use of it assuming they had a quality Master for such a lance. The Fennec was purpsoe-built for just that. and I would be unsurprised if we see FS C3 designs pick up quite a bit from here, much to most Drac fans' chagrin.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2011, 11:11:52 »
I too like the Fennec. I wish we had some....
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2011, 11:13:20 »
Cappie fan? You guys have gotten plenty of goodies recently. I would know. CapCon is my other IS favorite  8)

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2011, 11:18:54 »
Cappie fan? You guys have gotten plenty of goodies recently. I would know. CapCon is my other IS favorite  8)

I think the O5P means they're a DCMS fan.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2011, 11:21:05 »
....it would really help if I actually looked at who posted first, huh?  #P

In that case, there's not much i can tell you other than "Enjoy the MRMs, buddy"

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2011, 11:35:57 »
Well, Yao Lien is, obviously, my favourite one.

Least favourite is Shen Yi. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't get it. Low speed, MRMs...

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2011, 11:40:30 »
Well, Yao Lien is, obviously, my favourite one.

Least favourite is Shen Yi. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't get it. Low speed, MRMs...

Well, to be fair, C3 and Snubbies make no sense either.... doesn't make it not fun though.

RAE

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2011, 11:52:22 »
Well, to be fair, C3 and Snubbies make no sense either.... doesn't make it not fun though.
???
Why does a close-combat weapon make no sense on a backstabbing spotter\skirmisher?

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 08 February 2011, 11:59:14 »
Because the utlity of a Snubbie only makes sense when you keep it in the 7-9 hex bubble where it's at short range and virtually no other weapon is. This essentially gives you a +2 bonus versus your opponents on TH modifers. Big advantage. However, as a spotter, the rest of your lance will be using your range modifier for their weapons. Unless they're all using Snubbies as well, in which case you have an entirely different issue to worry about (damage loss), they'll all still be in medium range while you're exploiting the one real reason for taking a Snubbie. It's far more logical to take an equal tonnage of weapons with standard range brackets, as you'll be able to get more damage bang for your buck, and the optimum range of your weapons will be short enough (under 7 hexes at least) that your lancemates will be getting a 0 range modifier. Snubbies can work the same way, but you lose the whole advantage of Snubbies in order to do so. I love Snubs for speedy backstabbers, but in a C3 network they suffer in the same way an MRM improves.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 08 February 2011, 12:19:14 »
love the fluff of the yao lien, and how it got its look and everything, very interesting, i'm also very fond of the brahma entry with the BC pilot taking on a bunch of pirates in it
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2011, 12:21:24 »
Supplemental as a whole had some pretty solid fluff. I'm guessing having a little more time to play around with the designs was resonsible for that.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2011, 12:32:33 »
I'm jumping on the Fennec bandwagon.  It may use some obsolete tech, but standard PPC's make sense for the heat sinks it's carrying and its combat role.  It also fills a critical gap in the AFFS TO&E, allowing us to actually make decent use of all those mediums and lights with C3 Slaves we have.  If you had asked me going into TRO:3085 what single design I would most like to see in it for the Federated Suns, something much like the Fennec would be pretty close to the top of the list.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2011, 12:34:22 »
^Well I meant obsolete from a fluff standpoint. While ER PPCs are a valid choice, standard PPCs are almost always a better choice all around unless you're building a knife-fighter. It's simply more efficent for a relatively small difference in effect.

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 08 February 2011, 12:38:52 »
Well I have to go with the Fennec as well. As a FedSun player it was a very much needed machine.
The Victor VTR-9Ka is also very nice. 6 tons of ammo for a standard AC-20. That thing is going to scare light mechs 8)

RAE

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 08 February 2011, 12:43:14 »
Because the utlity of a Snubbie only makes sense when you keep it in the 7-9 hex bubble where it's at short range and virtually no other weapon is. This essentially gives you a +2 bonus versus your opponents on TH modifers. Big advantage. However, as a spotter, the rest of your lance will be using your range modifier for their weapons. Unless they're all using Snubbies as well, in which case you have an entirely different issue to worry about (damage loss), they'll all still be in medium range while you're exploiting the one real reason for taking a Snubbie. It's far more logical to take an equal tonnage of weapons with standard range brackets, as you'll be able to get more damage bang for your buck, and the optimum range of your weapons will be short enough (under 7 hexes at least) that your lancemates will be getting a 0 range modifier. Snubbies can work the same way, but you lose the whole advantage of Snubbies in order to do so. I love Snubs for speedy backstabbers, but in a C3 network they suffer in the same way an MRM improves.
You should keep in mind one thing: CCAF is not the biggest user of C3 networks. So the chances are that most of the time Yao Lien will be used as a general skirmisher with an overpriced TAG.
Yes, snubbies are, probably, not the optimal choice for a spotter - but certainly not the worst. Thing is, Yao Lien is trying to be both a spotter for its possible C3-companions and a viable fighter on its own, and I'd say that it pretty much succeeds in both roles.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 08 February 2011, 12:48:34 »
^While that may be true, a C3 network is a purpose-built organization in-universe. There' s absolutely no reason to include an expensive piece of equipment on a mech, just in case he and another mech with the same equipment are by chance assigned the same billet. C3 is designed to work at the lance level and above. As such, given its cost and weight, there is no reason to assign lancemates for a mech without the system. While the mech may find itself working with non-C3 mechs, it's assigned lance will be C3-equipped by virtue of necessity. Otherwise, the CCAF would have been far better off ordering a non-C3 mech to fill the hole in the non-C3 lance. It's a usable design, for sure, but Snubbies are an inefficient design chocie for any C3-equipped design.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #23 on: 08 February 2011, 12:57:52 »
Fennecs for the Davions. I'd have to look at the clanner stuff to see if there's anything I like.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #24 on: 08 February 2011, 13:31:50 »
as a Mercenary I am very fond of the upgrades to succession war mechs like the CN9-Ar and BNC-3Mr.  the cyclops upgrades are nice too.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 08 February 2011, 13:49:17 »
Huh. There are way too many of these posts out there and I seem to have posted on the wrong one ><
« Last Edit: 08 February 2011, 14:35:47 by Decoy »

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #26 on: 08 February 2011, 13:53:05 »
Comstar Diplominator was a bit chagrined, but that's not surprising. The Prefect is a pretty kickass start to the RAF, however.

Lyran Diplominator got a few nice toys. They still haven't made a Battlemaster that tops the -4S, IMO, but I can live with. On the smaller side, I like the new Hatchetman and Wolfhound stuff. It's perverse how good Lyran lights are.

Jade Falcon Diplominator is still a little giddy. I could breathlessly extol the virtues of IJJ and the Flamberge (again), but instead I'd like to call attention to the Ironhold, especially the Ironhold [Fire]. It is sublime. Firepower some light mechs would be jealous of, ridiculous armor, flat-out immunity to fire. I'd take it over any other assault BA.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #27 on: 08 February 2011, 14:25:27 »
The Victor VTR-9Ka is also very nice. 6 tons of ammo for a standard AC-20. That thing is going to scare light mechs 8)

Your welcome!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 08 February 2011, 14:25:49 »

You're welcome!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 08 February 2011, 14:36:04 »

I'm not so sure.  While I agree that staying at seven hexes means you aren't capitalizing on the full range potential of the snub-nose, at seven hexes, it's the lightest weapon that will hit for 10 damage and still be at short range, and if your battle plan involves sticking to within 7 hexes of hostiles, there's really no reason to worry about it's ranged performance. 

If built with ER PPCs, the Yao Lien would have suffered serious heat issues and needed to shed other equipment.  If built with ER Large Lasers, it'd lose damage.  Standard range PPCs or Lasers would mean poor performance at optimum engagement range.  There simply aren't any better IS weapon choices for the job.

Register