Author Topic: Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries  (Read 14238 times)

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
« on: 10 February 2011, 11:53:35 »
Has anybody here ever managed to make this game install and run on Win7 64?

I still have my Win95 version CD and would like to try and give it a spin, bu I don't know what to look out for.

Does it work with just the standard Win7 compatability settings, or would I need some more tinkering?
“You know, Todd, when we're alone, and I'm talking out loud... It's kinda for YOUR benefit. I already know the stuff I'm saying.”
-Charlie Davies; Outsourced S01E12 - Sari, Charlie

dmzline

• Corporal
Re: Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2011, 14:19:21 »
Just like love, there's only one way to know, and that's to try it!

I'd install normally, see if it runs, then try compatibility settings if things are off.  Especially if you're installing on a laptop, it could run like molasses because of odd drivers.

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2011, 14:25:25 »

I still have my Win95 version CD and would like to try and give it a spin, bu I don't know what to look out for.

Does it work with just the standard Win7 compatability settings, or would I need some more tinkering?

If it does not work, which to be honestly, wouldn't shock me, your easiest bet would be to build a Win95 VM in VirtualBox and just power it that way.
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Jhereg

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2011, 16:56:51 »
MekTek has a forum for MW2  which might give helpful information

http://www.mektek.net/forums/forum/19-mechwarrior-2/

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2011, 23:34:07 »
http://www.mechvm.org/

Try MechVM. Its a bit hit and miss, but if you can get it going on 64 (some have) then it should let you play all of the Mech 2 games on win 7.

Matt.C

• Corporal
  • Davion '25
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2011, 19:08:20 »
MechVM ran without a hitch and I'm surprised how smooth and faultless Mw2:Mercs plays...
I just finished the first few missions, and it's still a very fun game.
Although I do miss using my joystick. Stupid modern PCs and their lack of a game-port... :(
“You know, Todd, when we're alone, and I'm talking out loud... It's kinda for YOUR benefit. I already know the stuff I'm saying.”
-Charlie Davies; Outsourced S01E12 - Sari, Charlie

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2011, 03:47:25 »
MechVM ran without a hitch and I'm surprised how smooth and faultless Mw2:Mercs plays...
Although I do miss using my joystick. Stupid modern PCs and their lack of a game-port... :(

Yeah its a fantastic piece of software. I noticed however that it can crash occaisionally with Mercs Titanium on the salvage screen. So i always save after every mission.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2011, 17:38:04 »
Can someone guide me on using MechVM? I'm not very good at stuff like this, so help is much appreciated. I'm running Windows 7 64, if that helps any.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2011, 18:59:48 »
It's pretty simple actually. Download MechVM and open it, click on the Install + Import tab and point it at the MW2 disc.  Install, go to the play tab, highlight the game, and click start campaign.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2011, 21:49:48 »
Aha, that's what I did wrong- I didn't realize I needed to install the game still.

Works pretty well, actually, once I get past my total forgetfulness in regards to the controls. The screen right after a mission ends is glitched out- the screen is just green and pink- but I can get to the dropship screen- and the all-important salvage screen- without any trouble.

Would you believe I forgot about getting left for dead on New Ivaarsen? Crud...

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2011, 22:45:11 »
Aha, that's what I did wrong- I didn't realize I needed to install the game still.

Works pretty well, actually, once I get past my total forgetfulness in regards to the controls. The screen right after a mission ends is glitched out- the screen is just green and pink- but I can get to the dropship screen- and the all-important salvage screen- without any trouble.

I found that if you go to the load/save screen and then back to the salvage screen it will correct the green and pink thing most of the time.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2011, 23:57:03 »
Starting to run into crashes after missions... *grumble*

Hard to be too upset, I suppose, but smacking a Catapult's cockpit off and knowing I've got some great salvage, then losing it to a crash is just heartbreaking...

+Crow T. Robot+

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2011, 01:46:35 »

They don't leave you for dead - you were too slow getting to the dustoff zone. Take a Jenner and bolt.

dmzline

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2011, 17:40:39 »

If you still have your old joystick, get a USB to game port adapter.

MadCatBob

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2011, 09:08:53 »

I got my copy to run under Windows 7 x64 by following the instructions listed here.  Specifically, the instructions second from the top, which basically amount to this:

First, this requires you to have the edition of Mercenaries that has both the Windows 95 and DOS versions on the disc.

1: Download and install Dosbox.
2: Create a bin+cue disc image of the Mercs disc.
3: Mount the disc image as a cd in dosbox and run the dos install program from there.
4: Set up a shortcut with a custom .conf file and play.

Note that this results in a playable DOS version of the game.  None of the windows-accelerated goodies, but I was happy to get it running at all.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2011, 18:03:35 »
I got my copy to run under Windows 7 x64 by following the instructions listed here.  Specifically, the instructions second from the top, which basically amount to this:

First, this requires you to have the edition of Mercenaries that has both the Windows 95 and DOS versions on the disc.

1: Download and install Dosbox.
2: Create a bin+cue disc image of the Mercs disc.
3: Mount the disc image as a cd in dosbox and run the dos install program from there.
4: Set up a shortcut with a custom .conf file and play.

Note that this results in a playable DOS version of the game.  None of the windows-accelerated goodies, but I was happy to get it running at all.

I've done this on my XP machine with lots o success, but some of the sound files won't play.  Not trying to thread-jack, but I think this is related.   anybody know what I need to get all the sound files to play?  like the instructor's voice doesn't play during the tutorial missions.  also, the music(which I really like) doesn't play. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2011, 18:29:33 »
I've done this on my XP machine with lots o success, but some of the sound files won't play.  Not trying to thread-jack, but I think this is related.   anybody know what I need to get all the sound files to play?  like the instructor's voice doesn't play during the tutorial missions.  also, the music(which I really like) doesn't play.

Okay from my experiences this is what i would do first.

1. Check your sound drivers, if they can be rolled back to windows default so much the better.

2. Check your disc. My one, after years of scratching and torment, would drop textures and sounds all over the place.

3. Check the MechVM forums, they may have had this issue aswell.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #17 on: 01 March 2011, 12:27:39 »
I have an old disk for DOS based MechWarrior 2 : Mercenaries.

I tried to get it to work with very limited success.

Has anyone tried to upgrade this game, modded it or otherwise tweaked it. I would love to replay.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.