Author Topic: Clan Clusters  (Read 1836 times)

Vition

• Sergeant
Clan Clusters
« on: 04 April 2012, 14:54:37 »
Looking at the history of Battletech a typical clan cluster often fares well against Inner Sphere regiments.  During the Jihad era the technology of the Inner Sphere seems to have grown much quicker than the clans'.

Do you think the typical cluster will continue to be a match for a regiment or not?

My thoughts on the matter are that it will probably change to 2 clusters are roughly equal to a regiment.   On a one-on-one basis at matching weights, clans still seem to regularly come out on top, but when you are talking about close to 3:2 odds then things look okay.  But a cluster vs. a regiment is looking at 5:2 odds and the clan formation put under this pressure seems to not be able to hold up well.  Throwing in the typical support elements of a regiment each of armor and infantry and a wing of ASF then 2 clusters seems like it might be a bit short on firepower.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Clan Clusters
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2012, 15:45:59 »
Cluster v/s Regiment was fine in 3050 for mostly L1 tech w/ limited amounts of L2 tech.

By the time of the Jihad, if your talking top end line regiment (Non-RCT) then yes, 2 clusters is going to be a much better figure.

The key is in the support forces.
Is this just 108 mechs (+/- 18 fighters)   (1 big Cluster might do okay)
Or is this 132 Mechs, 20+ Fighters, 108 Tanks, & 27+ Platoons of Motorized Infantry.
In the 2nd Options your going to have to use 2 clusters.

Against a full RCT and an assembled planetary militia......pft.... toss a Galaxy at it and hope battle losses aren't too bad.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register