Author Topic: Trials of Possession- How exactly do they work?  (Read 5446 times)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Trials of Possession- How exactly do they work?
« on: 21 February 2011, 22:30:54 »
Alright, so I want to know how exactly Trials of Possession actually work?  Everything from Warrior A wants Warrior B's machine up to Clan 1 wants Clan 2's planet.  What is involved?  How high does it have to go in a chain of command to execute a proper trial of possession?

Thanks in advance for help with a relatively broad question.

Alan Grant

• Captain
Re: Trials of Possession- How exactly do they work?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2011, 22:44:12 »
Are you specifically referring to Trials of Possession within a Clan or within a unit? Or also Trials across Clan lines.

Most Clan battles, whether it be between two warriors, or between two Galaxies, are Trials of Possession. That kind of Trial of a broad catchall for many types of combat fighting over many different objectives. From a stretch of dirt, to a genetic legacy to an entire planet and beyond.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2011, 22:59:11 »
Any trial of possession.  What would be the bureaucratic process?

For example, Clan Coyote wants a mining facility held by Clan Ice Hellion.  How do the Coyotes go through setting up the trials?  If the facility was on Londerholm, for example.  Would the Coyote commander on Londerholm challenge the Hellion commander on planet?  Or would it go up the chain of command somehow?

And generally, how do individual warriors get their trials legitamized?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2011, 23:06:24 »
There is a whole section about trials, including trials of possession, in Era Report: Golden Century.

;)
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2011, 23:07:18 »
Well from Clan to Clan, a challenge is issued.

"I, Star Colonel Amen Jerricho of Clan Coyote's <insert Cluster Name", I challenge you, Ice Hellion surats, for control of X. With what do you defend X?"

Then the Ice Hellions reply, and it usually involves picking a venue for the fight. Once the attacker knows what the defender brings to the table, the attacker decides what force they will commit to the fight. Sometimes the actual bidding and fighting is handled by a subordinate, so in my example above, Star Colonel Jerricho puts it to his Star Captains to bid for the right to attack the target, then observes.  At Galaxy level, the same thing would happen between Star Colonels within the Galaxy. It really depends on the size and importance of the Trial.

Between warriors in a unit, it needs to be approved or validated by the unit's commanding officer. So a Trial of Possession for a mech, for example. The commanding officer can refuse to permit the Trial, though I think they need a semi-decent reason.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2011, 23:31:22 »
There is a whole section about trials, including trials of possession, in Era Report: Golden Century.

;)

Soon it will be mine, and I will lord my new knowledge about trials over others!  [whipit]

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2011, 00:50:59 »
*hops around in his Coyotl*

Knowledge of trials among other things.

But yeah. Era Digest: GC might have been the best place to put it as the Clans weren't as Clanlike during Operation Klondike
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2011, 10:11:05 »
Soon it will be mine, and I will lord my new knowledge about trials over others!  [whipit]

What if someone declares a trial for the information?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2011, 10:57:05 »
Then they'd better win  8)

I think when you look at Impetus of War and Loran Jeffrays marauding around as fake Smoke Jaguars winning trials, I would argue that there's almost no buracratic process to it.  You show up, insualt the other party, demand what you want, fight a trial, and if you win you get it. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2011, 11:32:06 »
Well from Clan to Clan, a challenge is issued.

"I, Star Colonel Amen Jerricho of Clan Coyote's <insert Cluster Name", I challenge you, Ice Hellion surats, for control of X. With what do you defend X?"

Then the Ice Hellions reply, and it usually involves picking a venue for the fight. Once the attacker knows what the defender brings to the table, the attacker decides what force they will commit to the fight. Sometimes the actual bidding and fighting is handled by a subordinate, so in my example above, Star Colonel Jerricho puts it to his Star Captains to bid for the right to attack the target, then observes.  At Galaxy level, the same thing would happen between Star Colonels within the Galaxy. It really depends on the size and importance of the Trial.

Between warriors in a unit, it needs to be approved or validated by the unit's commanding officer. So a Trial of Possession for a mech, for example. The commanding officer can refuse to permit the Trial, though I think they need a semi-decent reason.
Thanks for explaining that.  That's what I needed!

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2011, 13:51:31 »
Hrrm....perhaps a flow chart would be clearest. There are a few options.

Stage 1) Declare trial. As above "I am Star Colonel Edward McTighe of the 509th Solahma Battle Cluster. What forces choose to defend the Ice Hellion Sloppy Joe mix recipe?"
Option 1A) The Attacker may bid among themselves and declare their forces here and gain control of the venue. EG "I am Star Captain Unegetai of the 509th Solahma Battle Cluster. Trinary Bravo and Trinary Delta's Charlie Elemental Star stand ready to seize Clan Ice Hellion's Sloppy Joe mix from any force that dares defend it!"

Stage 2) The defenders bid among them selves to determine an appropriate force to the challenge.  A venue is also chosen.

Stage 3) Unless this is done before stage 1, attackers bid among themselves for an appropriate force to defeat the other force. Venue is selected here if the attacker bid before the defender.

Stage 4) LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2011, 19:50:28 »
I think when you look at Impetus of War and Loran Jeffrays marauding around as fake Smoke Jaguars winning trials, I would argue that there's almost no buracratic process to it.  You show up, insualt the other party, demand what you want, fight a trial, and if you win you get it.

Sounds about right. Clan warrior society isn't terribly bureaucratic. Trials aren't really run by Robert's Rules or anything too strict.