Author Topic: HAWKEN: New indy mech fps game.  (Read 4188 times)

plutonick

HAWKEN: New indy mech fps game.
« on: 11 March 2011, 04:57:36 »
I just found this on reddit. It's gathering momentum.

http://www.hawkengame.com/blog/

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: HAWKEN: New indy mech fps game.
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2011, 19:06:25 »
No kidding.  It looks really good so far.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2011, 05:53:57 »
Graphics are fine by me, and the art design is interesting, if a bit too washed-out for my tastes.  The linking between animations looks like it needs work, and hopefully development will continue on that, if it keeps going.  Still, after gameplay, a trailer explaining plot or a universe or something would be nice, since that's what keeps me coming back to games.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2011, 10:11:47 »
Graphics are fine by me, and the art design is interesting, if a bit too washed-out for my tastes.  The linking between animations looks like it needs work, and hopefully development will continue on that, if it keeps going.  Still, after gameplay, a trailer explaining plot or a universe or something would be nice, since that's what keeps me coming back to games.

It didn't sound like they were going for story.  The game's supposed to be a a multiplayer arena with big robots.  The key, though, is the authors' stated desire to go for a machine-like look than humanoid look "like Mechwarrior".
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2011, 15:28:22 »
Cool!  Its been to long giant machines of death...

plutonick

« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2011, 02:33:03 »
The jerky animation is due to the videocapturing program (something to do with speeding it up, not sure. check the video comments).

I suppose the wash out colors could be because the guy did not use a screencapture but was recording the monitor's output. That causes the handshake too. Pretty amateur, but that's all we got so far.

I would love a single player campaign, but I will settle with online-only. What I don't like, is that robots seem to move fast. Like some anime-mechs do, and not like Battlemechs. But then again, until (if) mechwarrior is released, this will do.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2011, 07:33:27 »
The jerky animation is due to the videocapturing program (something to do with speeding it up, not sure. check the video comments).

I suppose the wash out colors could be because the guy did not use a screencapture but was recording the monitor's output. That causes the handshake too. Pretty amateur, but that's all we got so far.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think so.  The video was smooth and pretty to me.  My comments were on the movement and feel of the development video's content itself.  The handshake clearly looked like an intentional effect to my eyes.

You don't need to sell the game to me, man.  I'll get the chance to enjoy it when I try it.  If I try it.

By the way, you should probably introduce yourself in General Discussion if you want to get your feet wet with BattleTech.  Just a little friendly pointer, and we're all friendly here, so don't be shy!

plutonick

« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2011, 09:47:34 »
I am not trying to sell the game. I am just saying what I read in the Escapist news.

'While the trailer admittedly looks a bit choppy, the Adhesive post claims that this is simply a byproduct of filming the demos in slow motion and that the actual play "looks okay."'

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108386-Indie-Mecha-Combat-Game-Hawken-Looks-Incredible

Regarding my introduction, I had introduced myself on the old forums, and was a lurker there too. I never thought people would actually check my introduction post before replying in a post so I didn't make one again. Regrettably I visit here only occasionaly for mechwarrior and megamek game info. I live in Greece and there are not that many CBT players here.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2011, 10:28:16 »
Welcome back anyhow. :)