Author Topic: 3rd Sundays at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie MD  (Read 7832 times)

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
3rd Sundays at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie MD
« on: 17 November 2015, 21:53:00 »
Next game 1/24

Classic Battletech 3025 Campaign

I did a lot of thinking after our first gathering about where I would like our next games to go. As the host I have decided to stick with the 3025 Era for a bit because it's simple & relatively easy to balance. I would also like to start a campaign sooner rather then later. Something simple, fun & playable over a few months.

So, I will be running a Planetary Assault Campaign based on the flow chart & tracts in the Alpha Strike book. I will handle the logistics based on a simplified Chaos Campaign System.

Each player will need to choose 2 separate forces, one for attacking & one for defending. They will be on opposite sides & not fight together. Both will be up to 300 tons, with a max of 6 Mechs. Level 1 tech & anything produced before 3026. No LAMs.

You may have 1 custom Mech but it must be based on an existing Mech, only changing Weapons, Ammo, Heat Sinks, Jump Jets, & Armor. I am sure we are all capable of making legal mods to Mechs with whatever software you choose, if you take this option.

If you wish to include Vehicles into either of your forces (300 tons, max 6 units) you make take 1-2 at 75% of their tonnage. If you want to take an all Vehicle force you may take one at 400 tons, max 8 units. Vehicles are also limited to Tech Level 1 & produced before 3026.

Pilot skills will be rolled randomly at the beginning of the campaign, with one Veteran per force, 1 Offense & 1 Defense per player, & the rest regular. Skills can advance during the campaign through a simple experience system I will explain later.

Teams will be decided mostly at random, out of whoever shows up, but everyone will fight on both sides at some point. I will split the players up evenly & choose the available tonnage for that battle, each player/team will choose what Mechs they want to take out of their available Mechs.

I this interests y'all enough to make a monthly gathering out of it. When it's done we can talk about other Eras &/or campaigns that people want to play
« Last Edit: 10 January 2016, 19:55:52 by VikingmacBrea »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Re: 3rd Sundays at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie MD
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2015, 22:35:13 »
Happy to see more battle tech games there.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2015, 21:03:09 »
Edited the OP with something I forgot. No LAMs. Sorry but I don't want to deal with the rules and balance issues that go along with them.

I am willing to discuss Vehicles if anyone really wants to bring them.

I also don't want to deal with Infantry in this one. Trying to keep it simple & fun for everyone.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2015, 02:12:44 »
I have no strong feelings on whether to allow vehicles or not.  However I would like to know soon so I may design my force on their availability.

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2015, 10:44:49 »
Edited the OP with the rules for including Vehicles. 1-2 in your (300 ton, max 6 unit) forces at 75% of their tonnage or an all Vehicle Force at 400 tons, max 8 units.

Daemos Wolf

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2015, 19:56:41 »
ben here. I would much rather play 3050.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2015, 00:45:54 »
ben here. I would much rather play 3050.

For the time being you will want to pay attention to the other thread as Paul is running a Solaris challenge.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=37978.150

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2015, 01:06:35 »
Thought up a few things while putting ideas to paper:

Customs:  While not in favor of this, it's not my game to run, not my rub to ruin others fun either.  I have to believe it is intentional, but what is the thumbs up, thumbs down to adding or removing LA or hand actuators?  If people want to make a customer tank, are you for or against it?  May want to consider 1 customer per offense and defense force.  Otherwise it could make for a bit of an unbalanced 'surprise' factor based on the way the forces are split with one force having zero customs if players are paired up.  Do you want any customs made for a 'pool' for walk-ins pick up?

Walk ins:  This is essentially an extension of one of the other questions.  In whether this is something you are planning for already or if you would like donations for a pick up force?

Artillery:  Yeah I know it's an odd question considering the majority of artillery is in 2750/3050 material.  There is an odd ball Karnov with an artillery piece in the 3039 record sheets.  Don't know that I would use it, but someone might wish to.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2015, 20:10:05 »
Next game 12/20

Sundays continue to be unreliable for me, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread in case I can attend.

stick with the 3025 Era

Yep, that makes sense.

So, I will be running a Planetary Assault Campaign based on the flow chart & tracts in the Alpha Strike book. I will handle the logistics based on a simplified Chaos Campaign System.

Solid approach.
It's been a while since I did those, but if you have any questions, feel free to drop them in here, and I'll do my best to answer.

Each player will need to choose 2 separate forces, one for attacking & one for defending. They will be on opposite sides & not fight together. Both will be up to 300 tons, with a max of 6 Mechs. Level 1 tech & anything produced before 3026. No LAMs.

Curious, I wonder how that will play out. Seems like a good idea though, I like it.

Publish the forces in this thread, or PM you?

Customs:  May want to consider 1 customer per offense and defense force. 

Customer is a funny typo. =)
And he already has a limit of 1 per force.
I'm not super concerns about balance myself. There's only a few ways to chump 3025 tech, and there's canon designs in reach that get pretty close to an optimized angle. I'm just going to slap something together I consider amusing, and I think the same will be true for most players. If someone abuses it, retro-actively making some changes can work just fine.

Artillery:  Yeah I know it's an odd question considering the majority of artillery is in 2750/3050 material.  There is an odd ball Karnov with an artillery piece in the 3039 record sheets.  Don't know that I would use it, but someone might wish to.

Artillery slows the game down a lot, and is largely useless until you have 4+ tubes shooting. My $0.02 is in favor of banning them.

Paul

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2015, 21:48:55 »
And he already has a limit of 1 per force.
I'm not super concerns about balance myself. There's only a few ways to chump 3025 tech, and there's canon designs in reach that get pretty close to an optimized angle. I'm just going to slap something together I consider amusing, and I think the same will be true for most players. If someone abuses it, retro-actively making some changes can work just fine.

To be clear I'm not lobbying one way or the other aside from my earlier comment.  However if people are going to be mixed as matched you could have 2 or 3 customs on a side and zero on the other.  It doesn't particularly bother me as there are only so many load outs you get with 3025 tech to optimize.  However having one per side for offense and defense force eliminates issues and going back later.  I'm just shooting the idea out for Brea is all.

Artillery slows the game down a lot, and is largely useless until you have 4+ tubes shooting. My $0.02 is in favor of banning them.

Paul

Easy enough to get 4 pieces on the board given the rules for composing a force for vehicles and have a fair amount of tonnage left over.  That is why I mentioned it and I'm in favor of 0 arty.

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2015, 10:03:36 »
Woah, tough crowd. But seriously thanks for the interest & helping me refine my game ideas.

Everyone has their favorite Era, I just want to play Battletech. This game started because a fellow member of the 3025ers FB group & myself want to play a game & decided to invite others. I am sticking with 3025 Tech for now, for the reasons stated in the OP. After this campaign I am prefectly willing to discuss other Eras & types of game. I am also willing to let some one else take over Hosting duties & just be a player.

I am hoping by having everyone play both sides of the invasion no one will get to attached to the outcome & everyone will play in the spirt of fun. It will also make it easier to balance sides depending on who shows up.

I meant to say one Custome Mech per Force. I am also fine with any changes outside Engine Size & Internatl Structure, just no full Customes. I thought we couldn't get in too much trouble with 3025 Tech but want people to have a chance to play what they like. We'll see how it goes.

As for Custom Modified Vehicles, I'd be fine with that but only if they choose the all Vehicle Option. No Artillery is a good rule, so I will go with it.

You can post forces here if you want, or PM me. I'd like to see them, so I can get an idea of what we're working with & to set up a master folder of all the units in both forces.

If anyone wants to set up a spare force or two for walkins that'd be great. I will have some too & I am going to try to have plenty of record sheets & extra minies on hand for that.

I'd like to warn everyone ahead of time that logisitics are going to be in short supply for both forces. Ammo & Armor will be avaliable in between most missions but major repairs, Crits & Structure Damage, will take time & may not always be avalible. Replacement Mechs will be few & far between but Battlefield Salvage is an option. Mostly I want people to drive them like they own them & not charge headlong to their destruction, unless it'll make a good story.

Hope I've answered most of your questions & concerns. I will attempt to be more prompt in answering any more that come up.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2015, 16:11:06 »
Happy to see more battle tech games there.

Responding so I can keep tabs on this thread too, but I agree. That store has been pretty steadfast in their support of BT--their re-up on minis maybe 2 months ago was awesome--and it's important to back it up by showing them a healthy, regular player base.

They stock--not "are willing to special order," but stock--more BT stuff than anywhere I've seen on the East Coast.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Markd1976

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2015, 21:14:27 »
For the defensive forces, would hidden forces be allowed?
My friend and I are planning on being there in the 20th; do you want a force list prior?
Cheers! Looking forward to playing!

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2015, 21:45:25 »
In certain battles, but not the first, I believe hidden forces will be allowed.

You don't have to send me your forces prior, unless you need me print & bring sheets for them.

Happy for the enthusiasm & that people want to play.

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2015, 12:10:24 »
I hope to see everyone on the 20th.

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 19 December 2015, 22:06:32 »
I know it's late & super last minute but if anyone could print out & bring a Stalker 3H record sheet to the event I would greatly appreciate it. I waited til the last minute to get my sheets together & my girls printer crapped out on me.

Anyways can't wait to play with y'all again & with any new players who make it too.

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 20 December 2015, 05:53:49 »
stalker 3h printed

Markd1976

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: 20 December 2015, 11:23:49 »
Cold season has struck. I won't be able to make it today since my two adorable plague carriers shared the wealth.
I am looking forward to January though!

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 20 December 2015, 20:52:50 »
No worries.  Hopefully you will be able to make it next month.  TBD as apparently there is a Magic pre-release the 3rd weekend of next month.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 22 December 2015, 08:44:20 »
No worries.  Hopefully you will be able to make it next month.  TBD as apparently there is a Magic pre-release the 3rd weekend of next month.

There is, but the next installment of the Solaris campaign is also scheduled (at the moment) for that Saturday, Jan. 16.

It's not too late to jump in! I missed the last game, so I'll need killable targets friends.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 24 December 2015, 06:46:10 »
A (late) FYI: the laptop they have in the minis roomk has Solaris Skunkwerks on it, so you can print the odd sheet. Just don't go crazy.

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2016, 20:00:53 »
I've been slacking on this one, busy with the holidays & life. First game was a lot of fun & went pretty well, I think.

Next game will be pushed back a week because of the Magic pre-release & I am having some surgery tomorrow, & would like an extra week to recover. So...

Next Game will be 1/24, set up starts at 12:30, game on at 1, game off at 5.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 11 January 2016, 13:02:13 »
Good luck with the surgery!

Not sure I can make that date, but will give it a whirl.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 15 January 2016, 00:40:43 »
I hope to be there, but as I mentioned in the other thread, my paycheck was messed up and I won't know for certain how affordable it will be to do another trip until they pay me for back time.  That won't happen until the 28th.

VikingmacBrea

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2016, 21:06:44 »
I am going to have to call off this months campaign game, due to my injury/surgery & some personal issues. I y'all want to get together for a game that's be awesome but I can't make it this month. I will be more proactive in setting up & promoting February's event.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 20 January 2016, 00:05:15 »
I was just going to say my appearance is dependent on the weather rather than money now.  Mend well and hopefully I will see you in February.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 29 January 2016, 10:17:08 »
Just a bump, I presume you're aiming at the 22nd of February?

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 02 February 2016, 10:23:46 »
I think the third sunday would be the 21st

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 02 February 2016, 12:12:06 »
I think the third sunday would be the 21st

Yes, that one...

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2016, 11:11:22 »
anyone know if we are on for today?
« Last Edit: 21 February 2016, 16:09:54 by Engineer »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: 23 February 2016, 02:18:54 »
Sorry for the no show.  With the 2 games on the same weekend I ended up at the Saturday game.  I should be there next month though.

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 14 March 2016, 08:35:30 »
this sunday will be the third sunday of the month.  I will be at cold wars.  has anyone heard anything from the originator of this to see if it will continue?

is anyone interested in taking over with running this?  there were 4-5 in December, January was cancelled, no one else showed for feb

also, is anyone interested in a battletech alpha strike campaign?

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 15 March 2016, 23:18:06 »
Last month's game ended up being on the same weekend as the Saturday game which had a modest crowd.  I think that probably sucked out the interest of the game the next day. My plan is to be there on Sunday unless no one else RSVP's.  I can play whatever but would rather know someone will be there before committing.

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 16 March 2016, 09:48:53 »
I will be at cold wars this weekend.

however I have been in contact with one of the other players from the Saturday game if you want to try to set something up.

the organizer for the third sunday games hasn't been on the forums since January.  that's part of the reason I was trying to see if others are interested in continuing this.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 16 March 2016, 11:21:14 »
Yeah, I have not heard from him in the fb group either.  It is a two hour trip for me, so if folks will be there sound off.  If no one is going no sense in burning all that gas.

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 16 March 2016, 11:48:01 »
which FB group?

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 16 March 2016, 12:45:15 »
I will be at cold wars this weekend.

I'll be on there on Saturday as well, playing in the ACS game.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 16 March 2016, 13:50:27 »
which FB group?

Battletech - international.  He is also a part of a 3025 exclusive group, but I don't offhand know the information on that one.  I never joined it.

Engineer

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 16 March 2016, 15:23:36 »
I'm part of battletech international

also, I created a battletech mid-atlantic group if you are interested.

Daemos Wolf

• Recruit
« Reply #39 on: 16 March 2016, 15:56:41 »
Really interested in getting some game time in. Me and my brother are huge fans of battle tech and new to the game would love to get some one too help out with the rules and stuff

Ben Daemos Wolf Halgas

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 17 March 2016, 23:07:01 »
I can't find any sign of our OP who was running the event, here or on FB since January.  It would be safe to say, unless he steps forth that Sundays are on hiatus for the future.  With people who might otherwise participate at Cold Wars this weekend I think I'll be staying in VA and will see folks at the Solaris fun fest next weekend.

Register