Author Topic: Core BattleTech Themes Directly Lifted From Asimov?  (Read 6581 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Core BattleTech Themes Directly Lifted From Asimov?
« Reply #30 on: 25 October 2017, 13:38:35 »
I think it's more from Dune, than Foundation. It's certainly both that influenced things.

Foundation was fallen empire that held things together = Star League
Great Houses of Royalty ruling realms of space = Dune
Technology slide and mass forgetting things, while one organization tries to preserve it = Foundation
Waging war against said Great Houses (if not by secret at times) = Dune
Anti-Artificial Intelligence movement at some point in history = Dune/Foundation

Great stories usher in other great stories.  :)

That's my opinion.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 25 October 2017, 15:56:35 »
Fiction like Dune and Foundation often draw in some ways on the fall of the Roman Empire.  Foundation in fact was explicitly written to be the Fall of the Roman Empire in Space.  Asimov said as much.

However there is another historical time period that may be applicable as an analogy though it was not the inspiration for Battletech: 

China's Warring States period. 

Multiple independent kingdoms arising after the neutering to irrelevance of the original unifying authority of the Zhou dynasty.  The diplomatic and military shenanigans the various kingdoms get up to makes for interesting reading.  Of course historically, one kingdom eventually gained the upper hand and unified everything again, which is realistically impossible for Battletech since it would extinguish conflict.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 25 October 2017, 18:29:41 »
Dune also had a mass "forgetting" of technology, and a faction trying to preserve it: the Butlerian Jihad and Ix (and Richese), specifically.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 25 October 2017, 21:04:49 »
Dune also had a mass "forgetting" of technology, and a faction trying to preserve it: the Butlerian Jihad and Ix (and Richese), specifically.
Not quite.
Dune is a complicated case, and i'm not sure it is analogous to BT really, when it comes to tech.

The Butlerian Jihad was a crusade against machine-mindedness, not just machines. Since that was followed by a feudal empire, technology was basically restricted as it would have upset the status quo.
Later events (namely, the God Emperor) force technological development, to prevent such long status quo and stagnancy ever forming again.

Ix and Richese and Bene Tleilaxu were places where advanced technology was left but it was restricted. The ruling class liked some toys... and i figure it was a symbiotic relationship. Rulers protect the tech societies, and they help keeping rulers in power.

The ComStar trying to keep the status quo kinda matches things but it was done for quite different reasons ultimately.

This is my interpretation, and i will subscribe to it strongly, having been a Dune fan for so very long.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #34 on: 25 October 2017, 21:28:57 »
First, I deny that the Anderson/Herbert books exist in the Dune canon. Seriously.

Secondly, while I doubt that the Butlerian Jihad had any real influence on the WoB Jihad, it's an interesting counterpoint - "machine mindedness" being something that the Word of Blake would be proud to acknowledge, but from the other side. The Butlerians were about removing the influence of machines over human choices, whereas the Blakists would be seeing themselves managing the correct and beneficial balance of machines with humanity.

But Empyrus, I'm with you. Plus, at least Paul Atriedes wore pants, unlike Precentor Appolyon O0
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 25 October 2017, 22:43:18 »
All Dune fans deny those books lol. (I will admit to reading them though, had to see how they messed up things.)

Interesting that point about WoB being reverse Butlerians. I can see it now. That said, it is very, very probably coincidental.

As for Paul wearing pants... Fremen don't really wear pants. Stilsuits don't count, and over those they use robes...

EDIT Leaving out Paul's family name changes the meaning of that sentence oddly. I will leave it so, and hope this forum's Paul does not take offence...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #36 on: 25 October 2017, 23:07:38 »
Pray you never see the full, unveiled magesty of the 'Dhao ... (and yes, Paul, I just checked, the photo's still up ;) )

Empyrus, I submit the following evidence that the Cumquat Haagendaz, he who's soul has a fruit-like consistency*, did indeed wear trousers:

“We did not get Arrakis.” Jessica flicked dust from a pair of trousers, hung them with the jacket on the dressing stand beside his bed. “Don’t keep Reverend Mother waiting.”

W.

* From National Lampoon's Doon, which should be part of Arrakis canon ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 25 October 2017, 23:59:59 »
Never read the parody.

I did remember Paul got a jacket but i didn't remember if pants were mentioned.
And yes, i do remember little details like Paul getting a jacket... I read Dune borderline religiously every year or close enough.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 26 October 2017, 03:49:47 »
First, I deny that the Anderson/Herbert books exist in the Dune canon. Seriously.
Hear! Hear! Seyla!

The Butlerian Jihad was a war against actual AI robots. The Bene Tleilax of Ix are more like the WOB, very gadget-savvy tech-worshippers.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #39 on: 26 October 2017, 03:58:12 »
But Empyrus, I'm with you. Plus, at least Paul Atriedes wore pants, unlike Precentor Appolyon O0

Yes, but Leto...
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 26 October 2017, 05:14:57 »
I always felt that the Succession Wars were directly inspired by the collapse of the empire of Alexander the Great.  They are even called The Successors!  Also, the name of the man who left the empire is the same in both.

It's something that FASA used to do with their games: Renegade Legion, for example.

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
  • Unofficial, sure. But better than nothing, right?
« Reply #41 on: 06 November 2017, 11:19:26 »
Yeah. The Clan Invasion is the invasion of the Huns into Europe. Right down to Attila dying and dudes going back to elect a new leader.

I think the death of Ögedei Khan in 1241 AD, which basically saved Europe from being conquered by the Mongol Hordes, is a stronger parallel. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96gedei_Khan if you're interested.)
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65976.0