Author Topic: Mechwarrior 4/Mercs - What are your favorite rides?  (Read 39540 times)

Batman

• Warrant Officer
  • You have the ability to instill great fear
Re: Mechwarrior 4/Mercs - What are your favorite rides?
« Reply #30 on: 18 February 2011, 02:58:20 »
Very few of the assaults actually jump. I don't have the game with me, so I can't verify. And the fixed hardpoints kind of force assault and heavy users to use some weapons they may not like using. I think there's more brawling at the assault level than sniping.

Havock

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 21 February 2011, 19:22:32 »
I take a Thor with an LB-20X in each arm.  8)

Screw the Thor, Hellbringer can do that too whilst giving you a far more 'exciting' ride. :D

The Styk missions where you are running through the city introducing face after face to your twin boomsticks really make it work, any level more open than that usually involves limbs flying off. Your limbs.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2011, 19:24:37 by Havock »

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 22 February 2011, 02:10:34 »
I take an Atlas with a UAC/20 and a pair of peepers on the Styk missions in the city. When you bring all that plus your secondary firepower to bear on the Thantoses they trip like falling sprinters.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2011, 02:43:21 »
Screw the Thor, Hellbringer can do that too whilst giving you a far more 'exciting' ride. :D

The Styk missions where you are running through the city introducing face after face to your twin boomsticks really make it work, any level more open than that usually involves limbs flying off. Your limbs.

I liked running through Styk's capitol with an Awesome.  I only wish the Capellan liaison wasn't such a dick.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2011, 22:13:39 »
I usually save the Styk leadership and by the time I am there, I can buy my first true assault mech which is usually a Sunder or if I am feeling nostalgic an Atlas.

And yes, that Liaison is a dick. Also, he sounds like arnold schwarzenegger...
Made by HikageMaru

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #35 on: 22 February 2011, 22:44:18 »
Lights  - I tend to run a Cougar.

Medium - Usually an Uziel or Hellhound.

Heavy - I use a Thanatos, but don't really like the 'Mech.  I throw down some Nova Cat silliness pretty often.

Assaults - Hauptmann, baby!  Real close to max armor, 2 ER PPCs, 2 ER Mediums, and a Heavy Gauss Rifle.  I like to throw the pain.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 22 February 2011, 22:48:44 »
If diversity is a bunch of assault boats jump sniping then you can have it.   #P

That's why a lot of open respawn servers are fail. Assault pop-tarts are just what makes sense when there's no coordination between players because it's the easiest way to kill stuff while staying alive.

The game comes into its own when you've got teams in no-respawn games that are balanced by limited team tonnage, with players communicating over teamspeak or ventrillo. That adds real diversity in mechs and tactics.

I usually save the Styk leadership and by the time I am there, I can buy my first true assault mech which is usually a Sunder or if I am feeling nostalgic an Atlas.

I like using a Gladiator on that mission, you can jump up on the rooftops for positioning advantages.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 22 February 2011, 23:55:54 »
I still haven't figured out the advantages of jumping in MW4.

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 23 February 2011, 00:17:34 »
In single-player, other than a few times where it lets you reach a good shooting spot quickly or escape more easily, it's not particularly useful.

In multiplayer, where most humans are better than the AI bots from singleplayer, jumping is a good way for popping out behind cover and taking a shot before quickly falling back behind cover again. A quirk of the game is that if you hit 'reverse' while jumping it pulls you down to the ground real quick. Shooting from high up gives you an improved field of fire too, usually. The key is not to jump too high because it makes you an easier target. It's also better to jump at a sideways angle rather than vertically, it makes you a harder target; players won't get away with vertical jumping against good opponents.

All that applies in no-respawn games with coordinated teams too. But since tactics and positioning are more important here, jumping can be a major mobility advantage that makes all the difference on some maps. For example, jjz are a major asset on a map like RoyalGuard (the palace on Tharkad). On maps like that, jump-snipers can work the terrain and escape from ground-bound brawlers. Jump-brawlers can easily close with and overwhelm ground-bound snipers, and chase after jump-snipers.

Darren

• Corporal
  • Courage is acting in the face of fear...
« Reply #39 on: 23 February 2011, 09:28:06 »
Another reason to love the Highlander - it can jump, and usually out-turn most assaults and some heavies.  :)

Total agreement on the jets.  If you've only played multi-player games with respawn, you really need to try a no-respawn "role play" match.  When the Storm Kestrels were active, we used RP duals for trial combat.  It is still amazing to me just how much more thrill and adrenaline there was in the no-respawn format.  Its an amazing, fun thing, when you realize you're having trouble drawing a bead on your opponent because your hand is trembling on the stick.
Courage is acting in the face of fear.  Without fear, there an be no courage.  Face your fear, gentlemen.  Be courageous!  - Capt. Armstrong

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #40 on: 23 February 2011, 21:20:52 »

Play aginst "FastEd" in his Supernova. He is barely visible for a fraction of a second when he vertical jumps.

He is extremely difficult to hit due to his very limited exposure when he fires.

Force

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #41 on: 23 February 2011, 21:24:53 »

It is really only used for jump-sniping.  Since there are fewer obstacles in the PC games than there are on the table top, jumping is less useful.  I pretty much never use jump jets in any of the PC games.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 24 February 2011, 14:11:09 »
I never played online, but I always find it really difficult to manage the physics of jumping. I can't time it right, and I can't get to high ground on the first jump usually. I don't have that kind of patience, I guess. I just take more armor, better reach, and a bigger 'Mech.

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #43 on: 10 March 2011, 09:51:07 »
Well, I think MW4 was a poor addition to the franchise, and MW3 was pretty much the pinnacle.

Mercs only saving grace was Duncan Fisher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfR6w0ljrFE
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
  • Making myself unpopular since I re-registered.
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2011, 10:27:32 »
My favorites:

Light:
Nothing says I love you like the Plasma Rifle, max speed... Flea.

Medium: Uziel.  I've never gone wrong with it. Fast, w/ clan tech is a bit OP, and lethal. Can also go autocannon fit.

Heavy: Mad Dog (Vulture), hands down. I like their heavier art better than the original (and MekTek did a great job). Plus, in my hands, I almost never lose them. Use that thinner profile to my advantage, and keep behind heaviers.

Assault: Annihilator. Who needs to move when you have 4 LB-20X AC's and maxed armor?
I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.

"I am, therefore I'll think." -Ayn Rand

Timerlane

• Private
« Reply #45 on: 10 March 2011, 22:33:49 »
Paradoxically to the way it works in CBT, your aim is actually more stable/damped while jumping; it's arguably more pronounced in lighter, twitchy-fast turn/torso mechs like the Stormcrow, Shadow Cat and Cougar.

Light - Adder, Owens.

Medium - Stormcrow(4ERLL, 7HS, jets, BAP; what I got my first online kill in, in MP3.1), Shadow Cat.

Heavy - Timber Wolf(2CLRM20, 4ERLL; 6ERLL), Nova Cat(6ERLL, occasionally 7; it wants to be faster than its CBT counterpart, though), Black Knight(BAP/ECM/JJs, able to carry a fair variety/weight of guns, and available surprisingly early in the campaign), Orion IIC, Vulture II(at 64kph, it has 2 more free tons than the 75kph Timbie at the same weight of armor, with ECM instead of BAP, 360 torso, and the potential for twin 3-slot ballistics), Hellbringer/Summoner, Mad Dog.

Assault: Deimos(lots of potential options, as long as you're open to 'small arms': 8CUAC2; 7CUAC2+ammo; 6CLBX5, 4 Heavy Medium; 5CUAC5+ammo, 3 Heavy Medium, etc), Mad Cat Mark II, Stone Rhino(Behemoth I, not the Rail Gun version; 3ERPPC, 2CGauss, LAMS, jets), Blood Asp, Supernova, Victor, Fafnir.

EDIT: Tweaks/edits to the list(s).
« Last Edit: 23 June 2011, 12:10:53 by Timerlane »

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: 11 March 2011, 07:13:22 »
I drive an Unseen Marauder II because I can!

Battlemaster is my #2.

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 11 March 2011, 22:41:46 »
Man I miss this game. If only I could find my joystick.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #48 on: 11 March 2011, 22:57:58 »
I find that the Hauptmann is a fun one for the late parts of the game, but generally I prefer a little more speed to my ride. Thors in particular are a lot of fun, but I can make a Mad Cat or Loki work too. Thanatos and Black Knight aren't bad either- the Knight especially can be a blast, as long as you don't skimp on heat sinks. Never did like the Nova Cat for my ride, but always a blast for a lancemate to have one for support.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Batman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 12 March 2011, 00:44:22 »
Hauptmann is cool. I like the arrangement of its ports.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 12 March 2011, 00:46:15 »
Yeah, my favorite variant of the Hauptmann was a triple clan gauss rifle variant and a couple of lasers for back up. Not that great for missions but when I put on no ammo....  [drool]
Made by HikageMaru

Nightwinder

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 12 March 2011, 02:20:18 »
My most recent play-through I did most of the game in a Marauder, pair of Clan ER-PPC's with a RAC-2 for sandblasting down vehicles and calliopes.  Thoroughly enjoyed having a lance of those cruising around

Timerlane

• Private
« Reply #52 on: 12 March 2011, 15:38:00 »
For your lancemates, you can do a straight swap of ISUAC2s for the RAC2s, and never have to worry about them jamming their cannons.

I like to load up on Argi and Thanati for my lancemates, until Timbies and Assaults are available for them.

Two full lances of dakka and LRM spam. ;D Even the reactive-armored reinforcements in Merc Alley B don't stand a chance.

Speaking of singleplayer, the winpatch fix for the helicopter-landing freeze bug from .0030(Hacker Run and Hesperus - Mech Works Attack) is out.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #53 on: 12 March 2011, 16:29:02 »
I usually use a Catapult until the Longbow becomes available......after that i load it with 2-SMRM-30s & 2-SMRM-20s.....or if i need range, i load it up with 4 artemis LRM-20s....

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
  • Making myself unpopular since I re-registered.
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #54 on: 15 March 2011, 09:31:25 »
Railguns aren't part of BTech Lore but the heading a lance of Marauder IIC's in the Behemoth II in MW4 Mercs? Awesome.

Even better? The other lance is 3 Atlas's and a Warlord.

Get sum.
I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.

"I am, therefore I'll think." -Ayn Rand

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #55 on: 19 March 2011, 19:17:56 »
Unfortunately I don't have the 'Mech Packs, so my choice is limited, and I don't play online, so my experience is limited.

However, my favourite ride is a Timber Wolf or Black Knight with 2xUAC10 and 4-6ERML. Close to max Ferro, no add-ons. Works a charm. I like the Black Knight a little better because it's got the extra torso twist speed and range, but I can't get over the Timby.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #56 on: 25 March 2011, 07:31:03 »
Early in ur career, I like the Puma, ehehe, 2 Clan ER PPC's, very over powered me, but what can you expect from the Clans ?

chops up other light IS's quite quickly