Author Topic: Redemption Rift, a Decade Later  (Read 3261 times)

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
Redemption Rift, a Decade Later
« on: 01 September 2021, 22:45:56 »

Felt a little nostalgic today... so I wrote about writing Redemption Rift, all those years ago.

https://jasonschmetzer.com/blog/battletech-redemption-rift-decade-later/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=nsbk-post
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Redemption Rift, a Decade Later
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2021, 04:59:21 »
Thanks, Jason, for the insight!

I confess I only like the Dragoons in my target reticule, for all the reasons you mention. But I could allow myself to give them a little slack in this story. Not too much - self-belief is no substitute for competency. But you dealt the competency out on both sides. Well written.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2021, 05:46:06 »
I remember being blown away with Redemption Rift when it showed up on BattleCorps, one of the best stories on there.  And it was a joy to delve back into it when the PoD version came out.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2021, 05:54:28 »
It's funny, I only bought the book may few years ago since I prefer in print than electronic.  Its still damn good book, way too short for me!  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2021, 11:31:26 »
I really liked your take on the 'Goons in Redemption Rift. It honoured the past, but moved in new directions. Sadly, I feel this move forward was done a disservice later (lookin' at you "Divided We Fall" and "Hour of the Wolf")

But, Redemption Rift was a magnificent book. You did a stellar job!
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2021, 11:56:22 »
Thanks for your thoughts, inspired me to order the POD and close a gap.
Just one thing left me wondering: was it really still the impression among the authors around 2011 that the Davions were "winning all the time"?
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2021, 21:17:06 »
Thanks for this post!  It's fun to see how other writers approach assignments!

and 3K a day? I admit, I cackled when I read that. You're a MADMAN, and because you actually pulled it off, a legend.  :) ;D

Good stuff!

jh

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2021, 02:24:02 »
Thanks Jason!
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2021, 10:46:21 »
I never enjoy reading about the FedSuns getting teabagged, but it was a good book.  I'm happy the Dragoons have left the Dragon's employ, and secretly hope that Julian can hire them to kick someone else in the teeth!

Thanks for your work, it is appreciated by us, the fans!

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2021, 11:33:06 »
Excellent read thank you for sharing.  Interesting to occasionally see a bit of the process.

I will echo the statements above, 3k per day, egads man that is hardcore, especially for a sustained period.
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2021, 11:51:55 »
Excellent read thank you for sharing.  Interesting to occasionally see a bit of the process.

I will echo the statements above, 3k per day, egads man that is hardcore, especially for a sustained period.

To put it into perspective, that means writing roughly the equivalent of one Shrapnel short story every other day or even every day. That is hardcore indeed!
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2021, 13:14:46 »
To put it into perspective, that means writing roughly the equivalent of one Shrapnel short story every other day or even every day. That is hardcore indeed!

Yes.
I have written up to 10 k words on a single day. But we aren't talking about a single high output day. Jason kept that pace for three weeks.
His brain must have been mush afterwards (which he pretty much admitted to).
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2021, 13:29:48 »
I have written up to 10 k words on a single day.

English, German, another language?
(That might actually be a difference of ten to fifteen k keystrokes per day)
- David Drake

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2021, 15:34:59 »
English, German, another language?
(That might actually be a difference of ten to fifteen k keystrokes per day)

German.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost