Author Topic: hunting season  (Read 10736 times)

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
hunting season
« on: 11 September 2021, 01:11:16 »
like a lot of Phillip work this was a good read with only a few issues that sour it.  First the constant use of bringing in a character only to kill them in the same chapter.  Once was fine but it seem he did it over and over again.  I understand the idea is to give us a grown view of what happen but why would we care if that is dead by the time the chapter is ended.  A lot of the action and scene was start and stop.  One moment we were in regulan and then next back in atrus so the flow could had been better to add some suspense.  Otherwise it was a good read overall just not the best novel from battletech

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
Re: hunting season
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2021, 07:52:57 »
My own opinion;

Having read it, and not going in with high expectations - as my previous experience with Phil Lee's work was A Splinter of Hope, which for a lot of reasons I found myself utterly despising - I actually found myself liking Hunting Season quite a bit. I mean, largely a gap-filler book, sure, but it had a good mix of politics and action, a largely engaging cast of characters (even if frankly at times I found myself thinking that Nikol was getting exactly what she deserved for trusting the Capellans), and some good looks into the neo-FWL and how it works.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2021, 20:56:11 »
I really liked the look at the FWL, but (like above) feel this was almost a book to set up whatever comes next, a "end the dark age and be a prequel" kind of thing.  Still, that SAID, I've been waiting to see what comes next for the FWl for, gawd, a decade now?  so, it's good to see threads closing and new ones opening.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2021, 09:11:38 »
I purchased this this morning based on good reviews.  I'll review it myself when I'm done.  Which might be a while because I'm busy every day this week (and for the month at that) with helping my dad take his boat from Chicago to Florida via the Mississippi River.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2021, 21:59:18 »
I purchased this this morning based on good reviews.  I'll review it myself when I'm done.  Which might be a while because I'm busy every day this week (and for the month at that) with helping my dad take his boat from Chicago to Florida via the Mississippi River.

"Son, sing proud mary ONE MORE TIME and you're SWIMMING to Cairo!"  ^-^ ;D

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2021, 09:54:26 »
"Son, sing proud mary ONE MORE TIME and you're SWIMMING to Cairo!"  ^-^ ;D

LOL!  I certainly hope not!  Everyone in Illinois says Cairo is a dead-end town.  Not even a fuel dock.

But I will sing Proud Mary when we get there.  That and Old Black Water, Keep on Rollin', Mississippi Moon Won't You Keep on Shining on Me...

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2021, 22:46:31 »
I really dig the Clan Sea Fox naval battle over Regulus in chapter 13. 

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2021, 14:58:22 »
Reading this now. Minor quibble in Chapter 6. It says Julietta was healed by the Sea Foxes when it was pretty clearly the Spirit Cats.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2021, 10:00:53 »
Aggressively good marketing push.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2021, 16:56:27 »
I really dig the Clan Sea Fox naval battle over Regulus in chapter 13.

Naval battles are so hard for me to write—this one was even more of a challenge, given the point-of-view character I went with—so I'm glad that you dug it!

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2021, 00:45:40 »
I was also glad to see that the Sea Foxes stick to their guns about not wanting to gain power at another's expense.  When the FWL declared war on the Regulan Fiefs, Beta Aimag withdrew its interdiction forces from Regulus. 

Yet Alpha Aimag remained in the fight. (!)

So now it has me thinking about the nature of power in Spina Khanate. 

Do the Aimags hold more power than the saKhan on certain levels?  Do the Aimags often act independently of each other?  Do they often act in contradictory fashion in relation to one another?  EDIT: today I'm guessing it was a deep feint by Beta.  Should give my Sharkfoxes more credit.  :)

And to follow up on Jaim Magnus's comment, are the Sea Foxes there to help the Spirit Cats retain and maintain Clan technologies?

And finally, an observation:  A completely bastardly individual such as Lester Cameron-Jones must have been hard for a writer to leave not only alive, but in power.  But I chalk that up to the politics of that part of the IS.  It's Machiavelian enough to give even the Snow Ravens a run for their Kerenskys.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2021, 13:14:58 by rebs »

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2022, 03:25:41 »
My own opinion;

Having read it, and not going in with high expectations - as my previous experience with Phil Lee's work was A Splinter of Hope, which for a lot of reasons I found myself utterly despising - I actually found myself liking Hunting Season quite a bit. I mean, largely a gap-filler book, sure, but it had a good mix of politics and action, a largely engaging cast of characters (even if frankly at times I found myself thinking that Nikol was getting exactly what she deserved for trusting the Capellans), and some good looks into the neo-FWL and how it works.

honestly it's kind of baffling that the CapCon escaped offical blame for the assasination given the facts the FWL knows. It'd be nice to see a perminant end to the, frankly silly, Marik-Laio love fest. there was a time the Liaos hated House Marik even more then the davions
The Suns will shine again

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2022, 10:26:14 »
Naval battles are so hard for me to write—this one was even more of a challenge, given the point-of-view character I went with—so I'm glad that you dug it!

No doubt, good sir!

Having just finished revisions and edits on a future Shrapnel submission featuring a certain naval battle mentioned in Shattered Fortress, I fully agree.

I discussed the difficulties of realism in BT naval battles with a couple of trusted people, someone mentioned that the Hard Science of naval battles, or any battle in space for that matter, is what sets it apart from ground battles.  We often take things that might not be so realistic in RL for granted in 'Mech battles.  But in space, the rules are rather different.