Author Topic: fighting as, and against, the Lyrans  (Read 25904 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: fighting as, and against, the Lyrans
« Reply #30 on: 01 February 2011, 16:01:58 »
The Blitzkrieg is, like the Hollander, one of those 'Mechs I envision being concentrated and used as a reserve.  Once the main forces are stuck in, the Blitzkriegs come screaming in to bust heads, or a couple of Hollanders reinforce a light/medium company with Gauss fire.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #31 on: 01 February 2011, 16:20:27 »
Yeah, that's true.  The only thing that keeps the Blitzkrieg from being my favorite mech is its lack of energy backup.

Have you tried the new variant?  7/11/7 with HPPC+TC+C3 slave }:)

Personally, I don't use the Blitz too often because I've found that in Lance on Lance games it can be entirely too easy to win.  Sneaking up behind mechs who don't have a prayer at getting away and giving them a depleted uranium probing just lacks challenge.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #32 on: 01 February 2011, 16:36:34 »
Read about the 32nd Lyran, if you want to play. Advance, use static units to cover advancing units until they've reached cover, and then reverse. Force the opponent into cones of fire. Don't worry about your 'Mechs, they're the finest in the 'Sphere. You'll find a decent variant of whatever type you need, and if you can't decide, there is the Starslayer. Downplay the Atlas, pick up one of the newer, scarier Banshees. Don't forget the Hauptmann. Your cavalry will be a little slower than the Davion's, but it'll be filled with some of the best 5/8 'Mechs out there, even if you rarely crack into 6/9 territory. Finally, your scouts are tough hombres full of fight in the Mongoose, Spector, Wolfhound, and that new HPPC Blitzkrieg (which I like to use as a mid-game breakthrough reserve too, but it's also an awesome scout leader.)

The "incompetence" thing is a fluff thing to justify storyline. If it went by straight gameplay, the LC has an embarrasment of riches, beyond even just the gift that keeps on giving, the Starslayer.

Playing against them? Well, unless your opponent is going to "play stupid", you're going to have to try to roll up a flank to prevent murderous combined fire. Use terrain to trap their break through artists like Blitzy and Wolfy. Try to concentrate on their XL'd 'Mechs first because it'll drain their firepower faster, giving you time to worry your way through the tougher 'Mechs. See that Starslayer over there, you blew off his left side? He doesn't notice that. If you have the option, burn down the forests they'll take refuge in. Quite a few are at maximum heat or total heat pigs, and that could work in your favor... if they haven't loaded up on Mr. Gauss. Lyran players, playing unrestricted, have just the widest possible choices available to them. Plan accordingly.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #33 on: 01 February 2011, 19:13:40 »
Yeah, that's true.  The only thing that keeps the Blitzkrieg from being my favorite mech is its lack of energy backup.

As Moonstone Said the 4F is an awesome Mech.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 01 February 2011, 19:37:52 »
As Moonstone Said the 4F is an awesome Mech.

Moonstone!?

Do you mean Moonsword?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 01 February 2011, 19:45:33 »
Using a Zeus in place of a Wasp as a Scout a very bad move unless your performing a Recon In Force and even then its an iffy move.

I don't know...I've made a recon Zeus before...it's armed pretty much like a standard Zeus, has a decent electronics package, and can move at 140+ kph...

}:)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 01 February 2011, 20:15:19 »
I don't know...I've made a recon Zeus before...it's armed pretty much like a standard Zeus, has a decent electronics package, and can move at 140+ kph...

}:)

Ruger

Which TRO is it in???

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 01 February 2011, 20:27:50 »
XTRO Steiner if we're lucky.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 01 February 2011, 20:45:01 »
Which TRO is it in???

Believe me, I wish it was official...it would finally be a "real Lyran" scout 'Mech...

;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 01 February 2011, 20:56:38 »
There is that Charger from one of the books.

Honestly, they've got proper recon assets, as loath as Hogarth (or his public persona, at any rate) may be willing to admit it.  Call them "reconnaissance battle armor suits" - the original Commando then becomes the Lyran Kanazuchi!

EDIT: *strips the italics on the Kanazuchi, nothing to see here*
« Last Edit: 01 February 2011, 21:10:29 by Moonsword »

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #40 on: 01 February 2011, 21:07:32 »
XTRO Steiner if we're lucky.

That would be so many levels of hilarious awesome.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #41 on: 01 February 2011, 22:25:55 »
Lyrans do have speed in spades, but it's the type of speed that has always drawn me in.  Prolific use of the Light Engine gives you monsters like the Banshee and Zeus, which combine armor, moderate speed and firepower with the durability of a clan XL engine.  Then there are the really fast assaults like Zerkers and Salamander 5T.

Then there is the Lyran love of big guns brought on small, fast platforms.  The Blitzkreig has been mentioned, but the Hollander II F7 is a 5/8 with a heavy gauss rifle.  These kinds of weapons being able to be a turn or two behind some PHX-7S and some Nightskies is a huge boon.  Those huge, but fairly quick guns will hit hard and allow your lighter stuff to exploit the holes blown in the armor.

Finally there's Lyran combined arms.  Oh boy, talk about spoiled.  I won't go into it too much, as you seem interested primarily in mechs, but the Lyrans aren't lacking in quality frontline MBTs or APCs.  Now, consider battle armor like the Fenrir and the Rottweiler.  These guys have big firepower and good speed.  The Fenrir won't win any awards for survival, but it's firepower is among the best.  The Rottweiler is fast and has improved stealth armor.  That will have a better chance of surviving than most units.  It also has good weapons loadouts and improved sensors for hurting targets in woods.  RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 01 February 2011, 23:13:17 »
I'm not a fan of the Hollander II with the HGR.  The Heavy Gauss is just too heavy and too problematic with its PSR or fall unless you stand still, and given that the roll is at a +1 on a medium mech, that's a really bad situation to be in.  Especially when you consider that if it gets a Right Torso (Rear) location on the fall, it's rolling a crit check against the big gun.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #43 on: 01 February 2011, 23:40:54 »
Commando 7X
Stilletto 4B
Blitzkrieg (original)
Cicada 3F

8)

If you want best speed then swap the Commando for a Dart or a Spectre
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #44 on: 01 February 2011, 23:43:50 »
You should NEVER be without a Spector

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 02 February 2011, 00:09:47 »
The Spector is awesome.  Especially the Stealth variant.

What other stealth mechs are the Lyrans producing?  Anything besides the Mongoose II and the Ghost?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #46 on: 02 February 2011, 00:46:25 »
The Spector is awesome.  Especially the Stealth variant.

What other stealth mechs are the Lyrans producing?  Anything besides the Mongoose II and the Ghost?

HBK-5SG
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Traecer Revenant

• Master Sergeant
  • Speak softly & Carry a Large Gauss Rifle
« Reply #47 on: 02 February 2011, 01:24:54 »
Liking this thread  O0

I assume at some point there will be a Field Report: LAAF, right?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 02 February 2011, 01:40:51 »
HBK-5SG

Not in production- only ever reached the prototype stage.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #49 on: 02 February 2011, 01:59:53 »
My experience(as I try to know how to think as every faction) is Lyrans are fun because...you can play with people's
expectations.

If you have a two lance fight, for instance? Bring the classic line of Fafnir, Devastator, Atlas, and Thunder Hawk....
then throw in  a Commando, Blitzkrieg, Hollander II, and a Starslayer.

Steiner, of course, is also known for their tank corps, and, in fact, in my Steiner Regiment I have been building, I have,
in addition to the tank battalion, a detached company that is for head-hunting duty.
If possible(and allowed in the scenario), you want to have artillery, preferably off-board Long Toms and Arrow IVs.

Steiner will fight either using a hammer and anvil type approach(their mediums and lights driving the enemy to break on
the line of assault 'mechs), or they use the "Wall of Steel": March the assault 'mechs abreast, pick one target, concentrate fire.
Always expect a Steiner to have at least one 'mech heavier then the rest. I have a recon lance, for example, that consists of
two Vindicators, a Centurion, and a Marauder. Also, remember: Steiners are Merchants...if they want something bad enough,
they can and WILL get it.

Steiner's inherent weakness, tactically speaking, is that, with the exception of the Blitkrieg and Stiletto, they tend to
be a little slower then other factions. Their assault lances you can either take apart via indirect LRM fire, or, better yet,
artillery. Otherwise, hit and fade, keep to cover, do not let them concentrate fire on you, isolate and kill them one at a time.
Expect to take damage, too.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #50 on: 02 February 2011, 03:37:24 »
Moonstone!?

Do you mean Moonsword?

Why yes. Yes I did.

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 02 February 2011, 06:22:15 »
Steiner's inherent weakness, tactically speaking, is that, with the exception of the Blitkrieg and Stiletto, they tend to
be a little slower then other factions.
Dart, Scarabus, Spector, Talon, Mongoose II.  We have more than just the Blitzkrieg and Stiletto.  Perceptions are often decieving.  We are not as slow as people think. 

One of our real weaknesses is not the speed of our individual units, its one that does not really effect the game table.  We have less light mechs than other houses.  Most Houses field 30-35% light mechs in a given regiment depending on the house, we field about 20%.  That extra 10-15% freed up goes twards the Extra Heavy and Assault Mechs we field above and beyone the typical mix of other houses.

Weather any of the weaknesses given by most players manifests themselves really depends on the individual player.  Steiner fans have a tendency to go for Bigger Slower mechs as they are attracted by the 100 ton Gauss Boats, never looking at the full spectrum of our mech force.  If you get a steiner player who looks at all their assets, yes you will see the gauss boats but you will also see the Mobile mediums and fast lights to support them and may not even see any of the "Typical steiner weaknesses".   They will often modify the Wall of Steel to make use of the Mobility of these mediums and lights to the tactics. 

You should NEVER be without a Spector

One of our good light mechs, dont ignore the Talon either.

Another one to look at in the heavy Catagory is the Dragon Fire.   Very Good Durability and Firepower.   Its prabably better than some of our Assault Mechs that have higher BV than it.       

« Last Edit: 02 February 2011, 06:50:29 by Devens »

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #52 on: 02 February 2011, 07:04:47 »
More favorites in the LAAF hangar:

Stalker 8S: its great because even after you tell the opposition they still think of it as a missile boat

Caesar, Marauder, Dragonfire (as Devens mentioned)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #53 on: 02 February 2011, 09:01:49 »
I love the Caesar.

I don't think I've ever not enjoyed fielding one. Sure they can occasionally die to Gauss explosions.
But the Light engine Varients are great trooper units.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 02 February 2011, 09:18:13 »
I've always liked the Cestus.  Pretty reliable performer for me.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #55 on: 02 February 2011, 09:31:39 »
cestus is a very nice mech,I just picked one up the other day. Unfortunately its going into my to-do pile. I like the version with the ERlarges. Very solid mech
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 02 February 2011, 09:37:22 »
i remember cassandra allard liao had a custom one with JJs, i can't remember the exact changes (i think a switch in endo) and it makes it a really good semi-mobile heavy. it really is one of the most hideous mechs in the game though #P
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 02 February 2011, 10:02:53 »
cestus is a very nice mech,I just picked one up the other day. Unfortunately its going into my to-do pile. I like the version with the ERlarges. Very solid mech

There's no canon Cestus with an ERLL.  Three mount standard large lasers (the 6 series), though, including both of the common modern models.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #58 on: 02 February 2011, 10:56:37 »
  Strange, guess I've been using one off my heavy metal that's not cannon. I got the program like this from a friend. Maybe someone else made it and stuck it in with the cannon ones. Either way... Cestus with ERLLs and dhs is schweeeeet.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 02 February 2011, 11:05:37 »
It's possible there's a one-off variant somewhere.  It's not in RS3058 Unabridged.  *shrugs*

Register