Author Topic: Where to start, which books  (Read 3375 times)

Mrs. Esterhouse

• Private
Where to start, which books
« on: 07 April 2022, 13:21:35 »
Got into battletech a few years back and would like to get into the novels. Whats a good place to start? I would be most interested in stories about mercenary companies.
“As long as there’s, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock’n’roll.”

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Where to start, which books
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2022, 13:48:43 »
Got into battletech a few years back and would like to get into the novels. Whats a good place to start? I would be most interested in stories about mercenary companies.

Gray Death Legion
- Decision at Thunder Rift
- Mercenary's Star
- The Price of Glory

Black Thorns
- Main Event
- D.R.T.

Kell Hounds
- Kell Hounds Ascendant (collects "Not the Way the Smart Money Bets," "A Tiny Spot of Rebellion," and "A Clever Bit of Fiction")

Camacho's Caballeros
- Close Quarters
- Hearts of Chaos
- Black Dragon

Avanti's Angels
- Double Blind

Able's Aces
- By Blood Betrayed

Chaos Irregulars
- Chaos Born
- Chaos Formed

All of these are about company-sized units, leaving out larger formations like the Eridani Light Horse, Wolf's Dragoons, Northwind Highlanders, etc.  There are more novels about the Gray Death Legion, but by that time, they've grown to regimental size.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mrs. Esterhouse

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2022, 14:09:34 »
Thanks a lot!
“As long as there’s, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock’n’roll.”

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2022, 20:58:24 »

I'd reccomend the recently released series of shorts on the ELH myself, solid stories, covers a number of eras
The Suns will shine again

Mrs. Esterhouse

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2022, 09:23:51 »
I will check those out, thank you!

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2022, 15:07:57 »
If you're up for short stories, and already scooped up the ELH anthology ("no greater honor") then, there's also a LOT of stories about mercenaries in the Shrapnel magazines, available here in the catalyst store or on amazon. :-)

Also, in the anthologies (legacy, Slack Tide, etc.) there's also usually one or more merc stories.

Gribbly

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2022, 16:50:00 »
'Wolves on the Border' is a decent starting point. Some interesting characters and the story ties into later developments. Certainly worth reading before either the 'Warrior' trilogy or 'Blood of Kerensky' trilogy, in my opinion.