Author Topic: Weatherproof Door Knob?  (Read 1116 times)

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Weatherproof Door Knob?
« on: 26 February 2023, 14:53:08 »
You'd think this would be easier to Google up, but...

One of my home's exterior door knobs (on a side door) is exposed to weather and sprinkler spray. After 4 years, the nickel plating finish is peeling off the cast zinc body.

Fine. So a solid stainless steel locking door knob or dead bolt should be easy to find, right? Or solid brass? "Marine grade"? "Weatherproof"?

But I'm striking out.

So, does anyone have recommendations for corrosion-resistant exterior door handles?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Weatherproof Door Knob?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2023, 17:18:35 »
« Last Edit: 26 February 2023, 20:34:45 by Daryk »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2023, 18:49:56 »
try Sure-Loc Hardware
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2023, 19:39:33 »
try Sure-Loc Hardware
I have had good luck with Schlage brand door locks

they typically have a lifetime mechanical and finish warranty.

I would say at least take a look at them
« Last Edit: 26 February 2023, 20:10:39 by guardiandashi »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2023, 20:35:53 »
I fixed the link... apparently I missed the space after the first colon.  That company specifically advertises against salt or even acids.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2023, 18:40:45 »
Thanks, folks. I'll poke through those brands.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2023, 19:13:59 »
There are two separate things to consider: the know and the lock. The lock may be more challenging because of the springs.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2023, 19:37:04 »
Thanks, folks. I'll poke through those brands.
Happy to help!  :thumbsup: