Author Topic: Baronies of Foxhaven  (Read 32487 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Baronies of Foxhaven
« Reply #180 on: 02 May 2020, 16:12:09 »
I use Inteks for that in my own games, but I took Liam's restrictions to prohibit that.  Up to him to say if we could get enough of those to equip our troops...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #181 on: 04 May 2020, 04:19:40 »
Yes . . . did we ever get a planetary map?

Based on what everyone's said until now how about this as a basis for a map?

I don't think I've missed much but if there is anything specific that needs added I'll happily add it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #182 on: 04 May 2020, 07:37:18 »
I'm having a day where this idea was in my head and I wanted to give it a go.  It's a fiction piece but I'm posting here as it's intended as a one-shot (unless anyone fancies more then I'll post in Fan Fiction) from my corner of Foxhaven.  (if you guys are going another direction feel free I just felt like it)

Foxhaven – Calm before the storm

The settlement was a hive of activity as pallets of equipment were moved from one part of the factory to another by members of staff with pallet movers, onto delivery vehicles by the factories two LoaderMechs and onto the waiting cargo ship, the MV Aleksandr Petrov, which had been brought into fill orders.  Middleton Manufacturing had never been so busy than it had become in the last few months as the various Barons of Foxhaven had increased their weapon orders as more mercenary forces appeared on the planet; there was something in the air and many people were worried.

With the profits the company had made in the last few months they had bought two brand-new Crosscut ForestryMechs from North Point which had been used to clear the ground around their new secondary manufacturing plant which was deep in Obskaya Forest.  They’d also helped complete a new line of the Foxhaven Railway Line linking the towns of Jamestown and Redpath to the route which Harold Middleton had agreed to support, and defend, in exchange for the additional supplies being brough in to support the increased weapons manufacturing and the construction of a second weapons plant.  They had also invested in more than a dozen vehicles from Trent in the last few months to help defend the plant here, the two towns and the new plant.  This had all kept Harold’s son Lucas extra busy, not piloting a BattleMech but helping run the company.  His father and head of the family Harold Middleton was 75 years old; he was passed retirement but still clinging to the reins of leadership while Lucas sister Elle ran the company but with the increased operations and defence agreements with Jamestown and Redpath Lucas was being more and more brought in.

“No, No, No!”  Lucas shouted from the factory floor at the set of workers.  Unlike his forest camouflage coloured battle dress uniform he wore a blue set of overalls, a hi-viz vest and yellow hat at he stood on the factory floor.  “The SRMs are going to Okro that means they go on the lorries not with the lasers to Port Royale!”  He shouted pointing at two different shipments.  “If we want to keep these contracts then we need to get things right.”  He said walking off as the workers began to rearrange the weapons shipments his earpiece beeped “go ahead!”  He shouted over the noise of the passing LoaderMech which was laden with boxes bound for North Point.

“Lucas, the Dracs are an hour out” Margaret Foster his operations officer reported “John and Sarah are deployed as agreed.”

“Great, we’re about three hours from completing the shipment.”  He grumbled “fine we’ll play nice with Fuchida.  Mags, have the others get to their Mechs and begin prep, and inform my father and my sister.”

“About that, Camilla and Elle are not back from MP-2 yet” she said naming his sister and one of his MechWarriors.  The two of them had become involved in a relationship a few months ago and they currently seemed inseparable where one went the other normally wasn’t far away.  It was good for both of them Camilla, she still struggled with what had happened in the Inner Sphere, and Elle needed more than work in her life.

“Fine, I’ll play nice with Nanako” he grumbled “have Ismail take Agatha and remind him that he doesn’t fire unless I say so.”  He said naming Camilla's Witworth.

“He’ll be ready and informed”

An hour passed and the five BattleMechs of Lucas’ extended lance were waiting outside the plant with several armed vehicles waiting for House Fuchida.  As they waited two Mechs approached a Quickdraw and a Panther both painted along the same lines as the others employed by Fuchida.  “Mags, go encrypted to John, I have two of Fuchida’s four Mechs approaching, tell him to keep his eyes and ears open.”

“I’m sure he is watching and listening” Margret replied dryly but he knew she’d pass the message.  As the two Mechs approached he sized them up the Quickdraw was heavier than anything he had but it was massively out massed by his Mechs and the defences around the plant.  The Panther had a nasty particle cannon on one arm which made it dangerous but it was too slow to be a real threat.  He quietly designated the Quickdraw as primary and the Panther as secondary he knew his own Enforcer would be Fuchida’s primary target if things went south.  He swapped his communications to a general channel “Welcome to Middleton Manufacturing forces of House Fuchida” he said.

“Domo arigatou, I am Chu-i Fuchida Nanako of House Fuchida.  We are here for our weapons shipment.”  The Quickdraw said Lucas had not spoken to the pilot before but appreciated her straight to the point approach.

“The shipment will be ready in a couple of hours…” Lucas began but was cut off as suddenly the Panther leapt into the air jumping backwards avoiding several shoulder launched missiles.  The Quickdraw and Lucas Mechs all turned their guns on the forest floor from there the missiles had come from.

“You ambush us!  What the hell is this?”  Fuchida demanded the Quickdraw’s guns quickly turning back onto Lucas’ BattleMech "we came here for trade."

“If I wanted you dead you would be, I have a lot more guns than you do calm the hell down!"  Lucas shouted back “We are ready to deal with you; dead customers don’t pay bills!”  Lucas said angrily looking back at the Quickdraw “that was not us!”  He said “I have two BattleMechs out there on patrol, all of my other forces are defending this plant!”  He said holding his fire.

“Then we have a collective problem!”  She responded after several minutes of silence the Panther had re-joined the Quickdraw but was watching the tree line instead of Lucas forces.  The two former Draconis Combine warriors must have recognized that his forces while significantly outgunning them hadn’t acted immediately against the two Fuchida Mechs.”

“Agreed joint operation you and me, your Panther stays here and helps defend the people who are preparing your weapons.”  Lucas said swapping communications to his alternate channel “John, get back here now, we’ve got pirates in the bush I’m going hunting with Fuchida, you’ve got one Fuchida Panther at the base it’s a friendly I think.”  He said swapping back to the main channel.  “Ready when you are.”

For nearly thirty minutes the two Mechs had marched through the undergrowth chasing down the infantry squads’ occasional short-range missiles or even small arms fire hit the chasing Enforcer and Quickdraw.  But neither could get a clean shot their tenacity was beginning to pay off though as the trees were beginning to thin ahead Lucas saw a group of infantry and struck out with his autocannon scattering them.  His Mech wasn’t entirely built for this fight but he wasn’t going to let them get away with almost ruining a profitable deal for his company.

“I got the APC!”  Fuchida called out seeing a vehicle waiting for the infantry her long range missiles flew through the air but didn’t hit an APC instead they flew into a wall of metal which had stepped in the way of the hit, this wall of metal swung its arms up and two particle cannons spat out fire one fired at each of the approaching Mechs.  One slammed into Fuchida’s Quickdraw staggering it back slightly.

“What the hell is that!”  Lucas exclaimed immediately firing his autocannon and laser into the huge Mech “Battle computer can’t decide if it’s a BattleMaster or an Archer or something else!”  He called out as the huge Mech fired paired long-range missile launchers at them peppering both Mechs with fire.

“Someone’s tried to mash the two together, you know what that means?” she asked running her Mech forwards firing her own long-range missile launcher at the new target as more particle cannon fire flew towards them one slamming into the chest of Lucas’ Enforcer.

“Minimum Range!”  Lucas shouted realizing why she was charging forwards, both particle cannons and long range missiles were designed for long range fire and were inaccurate at close range, he then started doing the same matching the Quickdraw stride for stride he launched the Enforcer airborne to avoid another flight of long range missiles which Fuchida soaked up ignoring them as she fired her LRMs and four Medium Lasers into the target.  Lucas added his autocannon and laser to the mix as he landed and continued running closing on the target.  The large enemy Mech targeted Lucas Enforcer with another attack this time targeting him with both particle cannons only one hit slamming into the Enforcer’s right arm melting the barrel of the autocannon just as Lucas pulled the trigger on the weapon the muzzle of the weapon exploded outwards as the rounds hit a hard target before even leaving the weapon.  “Ahhh!”  Lucas screamed as his Mech lurched to the left fighting the fall that was coming “you son of a…!”  He shouted as the Enforcer fell slamming into the ground small arms fire from the infantry that were still in the area hit his Mech but thankfully there were no short-range missiles or swarming attacks.

Fuchida must have seen his plight and was in the right position for her plan now she launched her Quickdraw into the air firing the lasers as the Mech raised burning away at armour on the FrankenMech that was against them.  In mid-air she turned her Mech coming down behind the enemy Mech lashing out with her BattleMech’s right leg as she fell towards a landing knocking the enemy Mech forwards with the physical attack.  She saw a destroyed jump jet register as the Mech came down heavily but ignored it as she pumped an entire flight of short-range missiles and another set of laser blasts into its back.

Lucas forced his Mech back onto its feet swiping at the infantry with his now destroyed autocannon.  As the Enforcer rose to its feet, he fired his laser into the face of the enemy Mech.  The combined fire from behind and in front staggered the Mech but it wasn’t done yet.  As Fuchida fired a salvo of LRMs into the ground scattering the infantry troopers there the big enemy Mech fired a particle cannon shot into her Mech at near point-blank range burning away armour from her torso section smashing the long-range missile launcher in the process.

“Fuchida, keep him in position for another couple of seconds!”  Lucas called out moving around the big enemy Mechs so she wouldn’t be in the firing line.  As he moved another particle cannon shot slammed into the Quickdraw.

“What do you think I’m doing!”  She called back punching the big Mech as it was more effective at this range, she hated physical attacks but sometimes they were needed.

Which was exactly what Lucas was thinking after moving around the big enemy Mech he was clear of Fuchida and saw the enemy Mech in front of him.  Accelerating rapidly Lucas charged “let him go!”  He shouted using the ruined autocannon as a battering ram his Enforcer slammed into the bigger Mech slamming both of them to the ground.  Metal tore and myomers snapped and Lucas fell unconscious as the two Mechs crumpled to the ground.

He didn’t know how long he was out but Lucas only came to when the door of his Enforcer was opened by someone other than him.  Fortunately, John Petrie had ignored him about staying at the factory and it turned out to be friendly infantry who tended to Lucas wounds and helped him get the Mech back up onto its feet.  Now standing on the burnt, torn up ground beside the ruined enemy Mech Lucas stood with the Quickdraw’s pilot inside the cockpit of the enemy Mech the infantry had found the pilot dead crushed when the front of the cockpit caved in onto him.  “Nice teamwork there” he said to her “we can replace the guns on your Quickdraw if you want?”

“For a price?” Fuchida Nanako replied with a smile.  He liked her smile, as a Draconis Combine native she had an oriental look about her, she was young and athletic like most MechWarriors exactly Lucas type and exactly the type that got him into trouble in the Federated Suns.

“As always” Lucas responded “my family are in it for the money as well as our own safety, that doesn’t mean we cannot be allies.”  He said looking up at the two battered Mechs and the ruin that lay between them “we proved we can be friends today.”  He said smiling back at her.

“Yes we did” she said smiling back as her other MechWarrior approached.

“Chu-i, our weapons shipment is ready” Gunsho Kondo Tamadake said approaching.

“Domo arigatou” she said in Japanese turning back towards Lucas “what will you do with your Mech?”  She asked indicating to the half-destroyed Enforcer.

“Well the Mech’s sound but we don’t manufacture the autocannon here, and it’ll cost too much to get it imported, so I think we’ll be using something else there.”  He said eyeing one of the downed enemy Mech’s arms its particle cannon appeared in good condition.  “I’ll get you your share of that thing if you want it.”

“A discount on our next shipment of weapons should suffice?”  She asked him Lucas nodded his agreement “until next time.”  She said saluting him in the traditional Draconis Combine way before she turned and left.

“Until next time” he said watching her leave the other MechWarrior stood firm for a moment “what’s up Bob?”  He asked the man.

“She’s not for you” he said looking visibly upset before saluting and leaving.  Lucas stood his ground for a minute then turned to face the downed enemy Mech and his own Enforcer.

“Alright, let’s get a salvage crew in here drag that wreck back into the complex see what we can take off her, and rig something up in the warehouse we’re going to need to take that cannon off my Enforcer.”  He said turning to face the troopers and techs around him.  Today had been his first Mech action in months and it had almost killed him, but Lucas Middleton didn’t think that was the last fight he’d be having on Foxhaven.

The Mech comes from here
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57803.msg1330175#msg1330175

I haven't worked it out yet but I think the Enforcer is going to get a particle cannon in place of the autocannon, two Rocket Launcher 10s (manufactured by Middleton Manufacturing and mounted one over each shoulder - I'd rather build them into the arm with the PPC but don't have the facilities) and the rest of the tonnage spent on additional heat sinks.

Hope you enjoy
« Last Edit: 04 May 2020, 07:45:50 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #183 on: 04 May 2020, 11:05:30 »
Jageer Radcliff Arteshbod's position is that he vocally supports the Grand Duke, is publicly making inquires for an investigation into the events of that Fateful Night in the capital by the Council of Nobles, and the Jageer's personal guards are seen on patrol.  What is not said in public is that the heir to the Jageer is no longer in Port Royale, facilities that have military applications have increased visible security- mostly with JHG infantry squads- while seeming to operate at peak capacity, the region's borders are mostly sealed off, and Jageer Coastal Patrol has surged the fleet to control the coast & out island waters.

Port Royale, its out island shipping lanes, and canal across the isthmus are open for business (and where the Jageer is focused) but all shipping will have to adapt to heightened security measures.  The Jageer released this public statement in a broadcast-

"To the people of Port Royal & the Out Islands, news has reached the Administration House that a civil disturbance occurred in our planetary capital three nights ago which according to reports involved several fires among the government buildings.  Along with the fires, the Grand Duke's guard were apparently engaged in military maneuvers, and the Grand Duke has reportedly relocated to a secure facility though we are having difficulty reaching the Grand Duke in person.  I am eagerly awaiting contact with our Grand Duke meanwhile we can get on with the business of commerce."
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #184 on: 04 May 2020, 14:30:02 »
The Stalker walks down the twisting country road, for hours since zero-four hundred this morning, Pepper had hunted the Von Strong Militia, honing their skills, her mech covered with paint splotches and a few scars from scraps as she had near misses from their paint-rockets. She was training her troops in the fine art of anti-mech warfare in case hostilities arise. So far, they knew enough to stay down and could concentrate their firepower. She had a few scatterings of combat with them, the last being around sixteen hundred and that was ages ago. She was getting tired but they weren't ready yet ,she had to push them more.

It was getting late and the sun was going down when she spotted a intermittent signal. ' There! ' she said to herself, as another intermittent signal pinged on her scopes. ' That's gotta be them... Hessan should've know not to do that. ' After all he's the Von Strong Militia commander, an ex-merc from off planet.

" Major... " Pepper said sweetly over the comms, " I can see you... " and before she could say anything else to chide him with, a barrage of paint-rockets emerged from her left rear. A stucco of bangs hit her rear armor plates and even though they where just pretend, the onslaught made her mech veer off and stumble and stagger, forcing her to control the movement or fall.

" Damnittohell ", she muttered to no one. It was followed by a chuckle in her ear. ' Shit ' she thought ' the mike, it was still open '! Hessan chided her for not looking elsewhere as the lance of concealed  Hetzer's rumbled off. " Baroness " his cool Lyran accent soothed through the speakers, " always be prepared for the unexpected. You cede victory this time, again. " ' Ohh, that man! ' she steamed, ' How dare he... ' Then her father's voice overrode her thoughts, ' Patience my child, look for the narrow in an otherwise chaotic world. Find judgment in this and you will prevail child... '

And with that, she order another training regime at twenty-one hundred hours that after noon to the groans of her Militia...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #185 on: 04 May 2020, 15:48:33 »

I don't think I've missed much but if there is anything specific that needs added I'll happily add it
For Ouachita, that's the Barony itself, not really a specific place within it (Well, the Barony's named for the mountains and the river that flows from them, but you get the idea).   The map looks more like the Barony as a whole is on opposite shores of a large sea inlet?  I've attached a very simple version of roughly what I was thinking.  There's be mining in the mountains, timber and farms in the lowlands leading to the coast.  The lake where two branches of the river join represents the capital of Rock Lake, with the grey dot in the middle being the baronial fortress.  The grey sprawl across the river mouth is the seaport of Graceland (think something like New Orleans or Corpus Christi, TX.).  Those are the two main settlements, though there'd be farming- and timber-based villages spread around the lowlands, some mining towns in the mountains.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2020, 15:50:25 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #186 on: 04 May 2020, 16:10:11 »
That should actually be easy enough to edit up I'll have a look in the morning

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #187 on: 04 May 2020, 17:50:02 »
I thought Trent was North of the Baron's Hold, not West...

And I'll get an updated table up shortly with Port Royale's declaration...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #188 on: 04 May 2020, 17:50:54 »
Where's the Starport? Don't see it...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #189 on: 04 May 2020, 17:52:05 »
Most recent update.  Only Okro and New Uttarak to go!
Code: [Select]
Barony          Author           # of 'mechs  Loyalty    Resources
Greenfan        Tegyrius             4        Duke       Agriculture (Fruit, Grain)
Trent           Daryk                4        Duke       Agriculture (Cattle), Light Vehicle Manufacturing
Ouachita        Arkansas Warrior     5        Neutral    Agriculture, Timber, Mining
Okro            Vegam Ranger         5                   Mining (Silver, Copper), Insurgents
Port Royale     Colt Ward            5        Duke       2 Large Ports, Shipping
Torrealba       Sharpnel             4        Duke       Agriculture (Sheep, Cattle), Mining (Bauxite, Copper, Gold), Small Electronics, Household Appliances
Urania          Giovanni Blasini     5        Duke       Rare Elements
North Point     glitterboy2098       5        Neutral    Timber, Ethanol Fuel
Von Strong      truetanker           5        Duke       Agriculture (Sheep), Timber
New Uttarak     Siegfried Marcus     4                   Mining, Timber, Agriculture
Middleton       Dragon Cat           7        Neutral    Weapons Manufacturing
Fujiyama        monbvol              4        Neutral    Functioning 'mech cubicle
Duke's Hold     Liam                 ?        Rebels     Capitol
13th Barony     Liam                 0        Neutral    Jumpship
Oto (East/West) truetanker          2/3       Rebels     Aquaculture, Pirates
Houndshire      Hellraiser           4        Duke       Iron, Steel Fabrication, Rice, Vegetables, Poultry, Pork
[/quote]

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #190 on: 04 May 2020, 21:10:04 »

the large yellow squares (i'm guessing meant to be farmland?) look out of place and way oversized on a map that i'n guessing is meant to reflect a whole planet, or at least a large chunk of a hemisphere.

the other colors are ambigious as presented. I'm guessing you meant the brown to be mountains, but what is the tan supposed to be? and shouldn't areas of widespread forest be depicted?

my suggestion would be to place ^ marks to indicate mountains with strings and clusters of them to indicate mountain chains. you can leave the brown, just fill it with indications of the actual landmarks so that we can get an idea of the actual layout, how tough it would be to cross, etc.

place something to indicate forests in areas that are supposed ot be forested, or are well away from the settled regions. farmland doesn't really need to be indicated, it can be inferred as existing in the clear land around settlements.

also put a map key indicating what the symbols and colors mean.

also, shouldn't there rather more water/ocean, etc if this is meant to be an inhabited world?
« Last Edit: 04 May 2020, 21:17:05 by glitterboy2098 »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #191 on: 04 May 2020, 21:35:18 »
the large yellow squares (i'm guessing meant to be farmland?) look out of place and way oversized on a map that i'n guessing is meant to reflect a whole planet, or at least a large chunk of a hemisphere.

the other colors are ambigious as presented. I'm guessing you meant the brown to be mountains, but what is the tan supposed to be? and shouldn't areas of widespread forest be depicted?

my suggestion would be to place ^ marks to indicate mountains with strings and clusters of them to indicate mountain chains. you can leave the brown, just fill it with indications of the actual landmarks so that we can get an idea of the actual layout, how tough it would be to cross, etc.

place something to indicate forests in areas that are supposed ot be forested, or are well away from the settled regions. farmland doesn't really need to be indicated, it can be inferred as existing in the clear land around settlements.

also put a map key indicating what the symbols and colors mean.

also, shouldn't there rather more water/ocean, etc if this is meant to be an inhabited world?
It confused me at first too, but there's a key if you scroll over to the far right of the map.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #192 on: 05 May 2020, 07:59:31 »
Right guys attached is version 2 of this map

As suggested I have removed the farmland squares

I have also instead of covering it in arrows for mountain ranges I've added letters and a list of maximum heights with the key on the right hand side

Forests - I've added one named one so far - any suggestions for further forest names and locations are welcome otherwise I'd say that it is up to the decision of the author/GM

glitterboy - I thought I read one one of Liam's posts that there was 40% water on the planet I'm maybe a little over that.  I also didn't add Ice Caps as I wasn't sure if there were any from people's posts I haven't seen much in the way of arctic conditions.

Arkansas Warrior - I have edited up Ouachita for you it's similar to what you had

Truetanker - I assumed that the spaceport was in either the Baron's Hold or Trenton given what I read - if I'm wrong I'll change it.

Daryk - I've shifted them about a bit let me know what you think

Anymore suggestions feel free I'll happily edit up

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #193 on: 05 May 2020, 15:20:57 »

Love the map.

But Houndshire is near a mtn range w/ a river.   I only see the River.
I would put it either Far Left/Top corner?  Or.   Top Mid/Right where I see Rivers coming from Mtns.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #194 on: 05 May 2020, 16:01:24 »
Lol, everyone wrote their bits before a map . . . I basically wrote using a free port name picturing it on the old Panama isthmus connecting a series of islands in both oceans with a Med/Caribbean/East Indies/SE Asia island chains covering their 'territory.'  I was going to be cutting & pasting real maps together for my 'ideal' lol.  Or really more like Istanbul with commercial ties into the Black Sea and while encompassing E Med islands like Byzantine Empire had Rodes, Cyprus, Aegean islands, etc which is why I gave him the title I did along with the name to switch from English type roots to Turk.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #195 on: 05 May 2020, 16:53:23 »
I use Inteks for that in my own games, but I took Liam's restrictions to prohibit that.  Up to him to say if we could get enough of those to equip our troops...

Yeah, my Merc units use Inteks but I didn't want a carbon copy of those so basic Las Rifles dating back hundreds of years seemed like an option.

The issue I see is that nothing in his rules is stopping us from taking entire platoons of Las Rifles, or any other Personal Weapons we want. 
It appears as if you can make platoons of 30 Blazers based on the lack of restrictions I saw.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #196 on: 05 May 2020, 17:13:03 »
Hellraiser and Colt Ward I can certainly incorporate you're ideas no guarantee Liam or one else writing want to use it I just found it a fun creative exercise

Hellraiser what if I extended mountain range "G" towards it maybe added another river from the hills?
« Last Edit: 05 May 2020, 17:15:10 by Dragon Cat »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #197 on: 05 May 2020, 17:18:37 »
For Ouachita, that's the Barony itself, not really a specific place within it (Well, the Barony's named for the mountains and the river that flows from them, but you get the idea).   The map looks more like the Barony as a whole is on opposite shores of a large sea inlet?  I've attached a very simple version of roughly what I was thinking.  There's be mining in the mountains, timber and farms in the lowlands leading to the coast.  The lake where two branches of the river join represents the capital of Rock Lake, with the grey dot in the middle being the baronial fortress.  The grey sprawl across the river mouth is the seaport of Graceland (think something like New Orleans or Corpus Christi, TX.).  Those are the two main settlements, though there'd be farming- and timber-based villages spread around the lowlands, some mining towns in the mountains.

LOL, I just realized AW has the same Mtn w/ River concept that I had.
We'll a 3 pronged river  & a castle downstream compared to my castle at the foot of the mountains, but similar anyway :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #198 on: 05 May 2020, 17:35:00 »
I hadn't really thought of a river (much less two) running through Trent.  The idea hasn't grown on me yet, but it might.  That just means I need to add bridge maintenance to the budget.  I'm not sure what the scale is, but I do remember saying Trent was one of the smallest Baronies, and it had a ring road with major highways disecting it N/S and E/W.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #199 on: 05 May 2020, 17:51:36 »
perhaps remove the southernmost desert on the left (south of mountain E) and move north up to fill the rest of the valley between mountain C and E (the valley that has "orkro" in it)

Deserts usually stem from two sources.. the first is large areas where precipitation is reduced due to cold ocean currents off shore (like the sahara) these obviously can't be the source of the deserts here. which leaves the other main cause, rain shadow effects. where moist air/clouds blown by the wind are forced up by mountainous areas. as the air climbs into the colder upper atmosphere it condenses and falls as rain. which means that by the time the air crosses the mountains it is very dry, resulting in a desert. with the geology on the map, it looks like the air masses move left to right across the map, creating that desert area in the middle as it passes over the leftmost mountain range.

here is a tweaked map applying this:
« Last Edit: 05 May 2020, 17:54:06 by glitterboy2098 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #200 on: 05 May 2020, 18:25:11 »
perhaps remove the southernmost desert on the left (south of mountain E) and move north up to fill the rest of the valley between mountain C and E (the valley that has "orkro" in it)
I like that idea & the rational for it.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #201 on: 05 May 2020, 18:34:45 »
Hellraiser what if I extended mountain range "G" towards it maybe added another river from the hills?

That looks like a really long way to extend G, but you could pull the castle back to the mtn if you add a river.

The areas I was looking at previously are :

East between Mtn "H" & Bannocks Mine.

West between Mtn "A" & Northpoint in that V shape between 2 rivers, putting Castle where the Brown, Green, & Eastern most River meet matches my description of foothills coming down from Mtn next to a river.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #202 on: 06 May 2020, 01:32:41 »
House of Arteshbod & Port Royale 3057 Update-

Jageer Radcliffe Arteshbod still fully supports his distant cousin the Grand Duke though he has not spent much time at court recently.  His daughter, who is now 8, is spending her time on the Out Islands under the mechwarrior tutelage of his sister Iryne . . . though observers in Port Royale and whisperers at the Grand Duke's court both note that places her further from the Grand Duke's reach as well as any of the Jageer's rivals.  Like others with ties to the ruling family, he has been rather circumspect in dealings with other nobles and very carefully downplaying the old blood ties to the planet's rulers.  The Jageer feels that all the wild talk of unrest has made him particularly vulnerable to his enemies at the Grand Duke's court- it opens him up to the third lord of Port's downfall even though every thing was within his rights and with approval of the Grand Duke.  The rumors of the Jageer seeking to buy a assault mech turned out to be true, a agent on Herotitus located a damaged formerly FedCom Zeus 9S (while not stated, it was probably captured in a raid either by pirates or periphery-hired mercenaries of the FedCom during the end of the Clan invasion) which was transported on one of the Grand Duke's jumpships in 3053.  Unfortunately, the only remaining advanced technology on the Zeus was the new extended range PPC, CASE, and double heat sinks.  The armor had been downgraded to standard by a former owner, just as it had standard lasers rather than ER or pulse versions.  The Zeus is being viewed as part of the revitalization of House Arteshbod and Port Royale though it had a few undiscovered glitches that are problematic to fix due to the size of the engine.  Anastazia Hardin was named the primary pilot of the new Zeus, replacing the future Marshall's ride being the Panther.  Her ancestor had the original Zeus shot out from under him during the capture of Port, with the assault mech once again in the family it is a sign the region is once again improving.  The nobility of Port Royale celebrated the return of such a design since a Zeus was part of the original Immortals inventory at the cost of the third patent. When Sasha hands over the role of bodyguard to her daughter, the Panther will be given over to general JHG use where it is expected to become another mech assigned to the mercenary portion of the Guard.  Jageer Arteshbod has also let rumors circulate that his Dispossessed Holders who currently give service as combat vehicle (support vehs really) might be restored to mechwarrior status.  Or a capable mechwarrior from the JHG's reserve pilots might find themselves elevated to Holder status.

Economic growth continued to fuel the development of Port Royale, prompting the Jageer to petition for the import of four industrial mechs which were relatively uncommon on Foxhaven in 3054.  While not bound by the laws limiting the import of true battlemechs, rumors of what armed and armored industrial mechs could accomplish made Jageer Radcliffe seek the safest approach.  Purchased from the distant economic powerhouse of Mechdur, the industrial mechs were refurbished machines inspected by the Grand Duke's men to prove they were not in anyway militarized.  Hanson Resources Ltd, under the current Holder Harold Holmes Hanson purchased with the Jageer's support a Rock Hound prospector indimech which has greatly increased the output of the volcanic mines on his islands.  Port Royale Agro Co-Op purchased a AgroMech to replace a failing heavy tractor while increasing the production of banana, rubber, sugar, and cotton plantations.  Rounding out the imports would be a pair of Crosscut type forestry mechs that have allowed rapid expansion of the existing plantations allowing the more crops to be planted.  The latest imported IndiMechs brings the total now up to a even dozen though they are spread across Port Royale and the Out Islands.  Most of these IndiMechs are in the hands of the eight of the nine surviving Holder families while the remaining four are owned by the House of Arteshbod businesses.

The year of 3055 saw the establishment, with foreign investment, of a medium rifle factory outside of Port Royal.  The Grand Duke was delighted with its establishment and takes his share of taxes in the form of finished medium rifles and ammunition though as part of the terms of the factory 90% of the production must be shipped off planet for end use sale which is closely monitored by the Grand Duke.  This leaves a handful of medium rifles available for purchase to on planet use with most of those still ending up in the Grand Duke's hands.  As part of the arrangement for the security of the factory, the Grand Duke allowed a pair of Aspero-Dinton security mechs to be on site though they are under the control of proven Grand Duke loyalists employed by the factory.  The factory's on planet overseer is Miguel Aspero-Dinton from a cadet branch of Mechdur's House Aspero.  The current merchant factor was the captain of a armed small craft that was escorting a trade convoy that determined conditions on the planet were favorable for Aspero-Denton Mining's expansion . . . and met Iryne Arteshbod.  The Jageer's sister had resisted local nobility's efforts at match-making (particularly the widower Holder Hanson) but seems to have dropped her guard with the foreigner.

With the permission of the Grand Duke in 3056 and using the economic boom to fuel the re-armament program, the Jageer of Port Royale once again established a mercenary band to travel off-world.  Traveling to Herotitus as cargo about a Aspero-Dinton merchant jumpship on dropship, the mercenary company were sent out to establish their name as well as start gaining experience for their effort to rebuild.  Seeking garrison or short term contracts, the force was led by Holder Harold Holmes Hanson with his family Spider and one of the Jageer's UrbanMechs supported by two platoons of rifle equipped infantry.  Vehicle support was from a lance of JHG gun trucks (the only examples at the time) and a pair of recon buggy vehicles (Ibex clones).  Two of the Jageer House Guard reserve mechwarriors also accompanied the mercenary force as back up pilots for the mechs. Holder Hanson's heir, teenage Harrison Hector Hanson has assumed the administrative duties for the Hanson Holding while also consulting on the operation of Hanson Resources though he spends much of his time piloting the new IndiMech to sharpen his skills for the day he will inherit the family mech.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #203 on: 06 May 2020, 02:06:08 »

This is sort of what I was thinking for Port Royale, some Turkish culture overlaid a Caribbean/Central American jungle terrain controlling strings of islands into the seas/oceans on each side of the canal on the isthmus.  Bottom left corner with the 'blue ocean' could of course be the place for another coast, but the continent territory would reach from 'Ankara' on this map to 'Izmir' would be Port Royale territory on the continent though more of their territory would be in the islands on both sides of the Port Royale Canal Zone.
Colt Ward

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #204 on: 06 May 2020, 05:52:05 »
Looks a bit like game of thrones beyond Westeros I can work with that though maybe not in that amount of detail but certainly rejig the area around port royale there is plenty space

Nice updated story not to self... they have a Zeus
« Last Edit: 06 May 2020, 05:54:12 by Dragon Cat »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #205 on: 06 May 2020, 09:12:01 »
Lol . . . with simple lasers and a engine that does not always work properly.  I was mentally fluffing it as roll 1d6 for each outing, on a roll of six the engine acts as if it has taken a crit- +5 heat though no actual marked crit- while any extra weight from dropping the MPLs to MLs went into armor.  Gives it a very bit of new tech, but has the prestige of being a 'new' mech for a periphery lordling . . . though its nearly 10 years old and been shot to pieces at least once.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #206 on: 06 May 2020, 15:38:54 »
I like the position I have! And, curious of that, I have what looks like a Dam? Just below my castle!

So that means, while I haven't thought of it, I have a Hydroelectrically power plant inside the dam! ( and I don't give it up either! ) Hydroelectrically power plant.. So Daryk? Can you add hydroelectric to my list of exports?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #207 on: 06 May 2020, 16:07:57 »
I like the position I have! And, curious of that, I have what looks like a Dam? Just below my castle!

So that means, while I haven't thought of it, I have a Hydroelectrically power plant inside the dam! ( and I don't give it up either! ) Hydroelectrically power plant.. So Daryk? Can you add hydroelectric to my list of exports?

TT
The major issue with that is transmission distance.  Dam in Colorado sending power to Kansas?  Sure.  But we've got what, 12 baaronies to cover the whole planet?  So you're more or less sending power across ~half a continent? to get to the next barony.  Using modern tech, the max distance for power transmission is circa 500km.  And even then...power's cheap.  Hell, when they're not in use we could probably plug our mechs into the grid and run entire major cities on a mech's fusion plant.
Sunrise is Coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #208 on: 06 May 2020, 16:13:04 »
To be clear about the map I proposed . . . its zoomed in, the nature being something like combined Panama/Nicaragua in size for continental territory with a LOT of islands like Indonesia?  or the smaller Philippine islands spread across a couple hundred square kilometers of ocean/seas.
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #209 on: 06 May 2020, 16:16:58 »
If Liam gives a thumbs up for the hydroelectric, I'll add it to the table...