Author Topic: Homebrews left to build?  (Read 825 times)

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
Homebrews left to build?
« on: 31 May 2017, 06:02:59 »
Well, it looks like I've only got a few of the Unseens left out of the TRO 3025 left to sculpt by now.  By my count I only need a

Wasp
•Ostscout
•Crusader
and. . .what I've been saving up for last as a reward--
Marauder

left to complete my original mission.  (I don't think I'll do an Ostsol at all, actually, since I don't like the 'mech itself particularly much, or the artwork for it at all.  If I absolutely need a stupid Ostsol for some unavoidable reason, I'll just use the Ostroc or even my Bender figurine.)

But I'm back off to visit the States for a month and a half, leaving next Tuesday, so I almost certainly won't get around to these until the end of the summer.  And then. . .what?  I'd love your feedback on what I should keep my mind active with plotting and planning on while I'm on that lovely 20+ hour flight to the opposite side of the globe.

So, what else should I plan on sculpting now?  What do you guys suggest?  I know I'll need a Galleon tank at least, since that's an Unseen too.  I'm sure there's some other tanks and vehicles that could look good in clay--and would almost certainly be easier to sculpt than anthropomorphic 'mechs standing up on their feet. I used my 3D printer to make a few tanks already, and it was utterly unsatisfying.  After the brief novelty wears off, watching a printer squeeze out goo for you in tiny layers is frankly boring, a Critical Hit straight to the center torso of Artistic Craftsmanship.  No, it's way more fun to leave your own fingerprints in the clay.  I already spend too much damn time behind a computer screen, anyways.  I guess I'll leave the 3D printer to the task of making my hexbases, and that's it.

An easy answer would be to keep on with the rest of the 'mechs that aren't unseen, makeover the rest of the 3025 Intro batch in my own style--but I'm not sure if I want to do that or not.  The entire inspiration for going into this in the first place was rage at Harmony Gold's dastardly villainy in Unseeing all the favorite 'mechs of my youth so I couldn't get the figurines any more.  Without that burning desire to Right a Wrong and restore Justice to the Inner Sphere, I'm not sure if I want to spend the effort on duplicates of 'mechs I already have figs for.

So. . .aerospace, maybe?  I'd be mostly for shelf show, though, since I don't really want to play AeroTech all that much. But I probably need some VTOL figures at the very least for my tabletop. I suppose I could do the Land-Air Mechs for complete-ism, though I don't really love them in the game.  Getting rid of them damn LAM's is something I think the later game did right.

So okay, how about something else that's out of the box?  Maybe some ships and submarine figures?  A proper ship is more than 30 meters long--maybe make up a figurine that takes up a couple of hexbases hooked together for that?  I think I want a Long Tom Artillery unit while I'm at it too, and that takes up several consecutive hexes in a row also, if I'm not mistaken.

I made some paper and foamboard buildings already.  Those seem to be good enough for my purposes.

Hmmm. . . .
What else am I missing?
All suggestions welcomed.
C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
Re: Homebrews left to build?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2017, 06:28:52 »
On a different tack entirely, I'm looking at another little figurine project for the future too.  Remember those little plastic dinosaurs you used to have?  Well, those old ones were utterly scientifically-inaccurate crap, by and large.

I'm going to redo those according to the current, vastly more accurate paradigm.  No more sluggish, tail-draggin' oversized lizards for me, no sir!  My theropods will have their feathers, my ornithischians will be festooned with the proper quantity of filamentous integumentary structures, and my sauropodomorphs will hold their tails up high!  I might even do a few mosasaurs and plesiosaurs while I'm at it, in a nod to my prior career as a shipwright.
C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

Register