Author Topic: 'Mech Availability Codes  (Read 2117 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
'Mech Availability Codes
« on: 04 May 2016, 01:38:53 »
OK, like it seems everyone one else on these boards I'm playing around with some AU stuff and one of the things I'm looking at is well a given faction has access to a given model of 'Mech, specifically NEW production, basically the scale works on access to factories that produce the 'Mech.

I'm looking at using the standard A-F scale, with F being best,
So the actual Availability Scale:

F: Internal production with confirmed factory
E: No confirmation of internal production (suspect that a factory can make it)
D: Reliable ally has factory
C: Reliable ally may have factory
B: Unreliable power has factory
A: Unreliable power may have factory
X: Hostile power only production
-: No available production data

SO what do people think?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 'Mech Availability Codes
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2016, 08:14:37 »
It'd be a little counterintuitive for F being best and A (nearly) worst.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2016, 20:49:55 »
It'd be a little counterintuitive for F being best and A (nearly) worst.

You mean like how Low technology components are classed as 'A', and high technology components in mechs are classed as 'F'?

Or how Terra had several categories as 'AA' because 'A' was not high enough to describe Terra's wealth?

I prefer starting with 'A' reflecting near-zero, because it allows for lots of other letters to be used for better capabilities.

For the list, I'd be tempted to add the following to E, C, and A:
E: No confirmation of internal production (suspect that a factory can make it) or possess large internally controlled stockpiles
C: ... or large stockpiles
A: ... or large stockpiles

Would you be extending this chart to components, then using the hardest to obtain item as the Mech's overall availability?  I.e. if a nation produced all but the PPCs for a Marauder (so for everything else it was Availability F), but a unreliable power produced PPCs in a factory, the PPCs would have an availability of B, meaning that Mech design would have an availability of B.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2016, 05:36:22 »
You mean like how Low technology components are classed as 'A', and high technology components in mechs are classed as 'F'?

Or how Terra had several categories as 'AA' because 'A' was not high enough to describe Terra's wealth?

I prefer starting with 'A' reflecting near-zero, because it allows for lots of other letters to be used for better capabilities.
Exactly the reason I did things this way. Not that I'm expecting this to scale higher, beyond us being given much better production data, but BT should be using standardized codes for this sort of thing.

For the list, I'd be tempted to add the following to E, C, and A:
E: No confirmation of internal production (suspect that a factory can make it) or possess large internally controlled stockpiles
C: ... or large stockpiles
A: ... or large stockpiles
This is specifically looking at new production, internal stockpiles and existing supplies don't count

Would you be extending this chart to components, then using the hardest to obtain item as the Mech's overall availability?  I.e. if a nation produced all but the PPCs for a Marauder (so for everything else it was Availability F), but a unreliable power produced PPCs in a factory, the PPCs would have an availability of B, meaning that Mech design would have an availability of B.
I'm more likely to just them a rating for that given part