Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 161618 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #480 on: 19 October 2018, 12:06:48 »
I think (from what I'm hearing anyway) is that one of the big complaints on Goblin Slayer was that it was mislabeled by streaming services as being rated PG, and that people were caught off guard when it was decidedly *not*.
Let me see some ratings on my DVD cases...

Blue Gender is TV-PG (has nudity and softcore sex) and Space Adventure Cobra is equivalent of R-18 ::)

[edit]
Also on Crunchyroll's site I don't see (TV-)PG nor any other rating nor recommended age (for Goblin Slayer). However CR has a warning message about disturbing scenes which wasn't there on the first week.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2018, 12:10:29 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #481 on: 19 October 2018, 13:05:55 »
...Or when video rental places but the hentai in the children's section because it was a cartoon.

Place by me did the opposite.  All anime was 18+.

Robotech was very disappointing. ;D
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #482 on: 19 October 2018, 13:27:37 »
At a job long ago, I had a coworker who made the mistake of renting a hentai for his son's birthday party (I want to say the kid was seven, but he might have been younger).  He popped the cassette into the VHS player, then left the room.

Then Mom walked in just as the yuri scene started...

And that was the explanation for why he always looked so tired and disheveled: he'd been sleeping on the couch for two weeks.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #483 on: 19 October 2018, 13:57:27 »
I think (from what I'm hearing anyway) is that one of the big complaints on Goblin Slayer was that it was mislabeled by streaming services as being rated PG, and that people were caught off guard when it was decidedly *not*.
I think it's more along the lines of "If you took everything out of the show that's definitely NOT rated PG or below, or made the stuff PG, you're left with a really dumb manga/show that isn't worth reading/watching."

And that doesn't have to be true. It's just lazy writing.

The novel I mentioned a few pages back ("JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World") would still be an engrossing read if you took a black Sharpie to every single line of her 'sex' scenes. She's sassy, pissed off that she's trapped in a gross otaku male fantasy world, and just trying to get by as best she can in literally the ONLY way she can.

Or take an oldie, Claymore (because I don't want to bring up Berserk/AoT again). If you made the whole thing PG, you're still left with an interesting story about women who have to save the world from demons by BECOMING demons - at least partly - and how they deal with the rejection of the ordinary human world and the lure of going over the line entirely to demonhood.

EDIT: I do want to make it clear though: If you like it, that's FINE. Everyone wants some gratuity sometimes. But we aren't complaining because it has violence and rape - we're complaining because if you take that away, Goblin Slayer isn't much of anything else.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #484 on: 20 October 2018, 05:05:48 »

Let me be clear; I don't have an issue with the nudity, sex or violence level in Goblin Slayer or any other anime, and I'm not one of those prudish folks who calls for censoring or "light beams" or any of that.    The content may not be my cup of tea, but for others it is, and  hey,  then good for them. 

However, I think that providing some for of advisement when the content therein is *graphic* is a wise idea to aid people in making informed choices on what they choose to watch or not watch.

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #485 on: 20 October 2018, 07:58:09 »
I think it's more along the lines of "If you took everything out of the show that's definitely NOT rated PG or below, or made the stuff PG, you're left with a really dumb manga/show that isn't worth reading/watching."
Even if Goblin Slayer anime were to be watered down to level of Blue Gender (it is TV-PG, says so in DVD case), there wouldn't be much, if any, noticeable change.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #486 on: 20 October 2018, 09:09:51 »
Blue Gender was mentioned because it's famously a case of a rating that didn't actually reflect the contents of the show.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

kato

• Captain
« Reply #487 on: 20 October 2018, 13:04:55 »
Blue Gender had a rating? (the compilation movie doesn't, and here in Germany that means it can not be sold to minors at all)

On a side note regarding the discussion on mindless villainy earlier, today's Alicization had goblins. Goblin Slayer type goblins, with much the same behavior. Except they have motives and can speak.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #488 on: 20 October 2018, 13:24:29 »
Blue Gender had a rating? (the compilation movie doesn't, and here in Germany that means it can not be sold to minors at all)

The TV series aired on Cartoon Network here in the States. It was gritty & violent, but I can't imagine it's "deny categorization" bad, even by German standards. That's kind of wild.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #489 on: 20 October 2018, 14:04:59 »
It's not rated because the DVD release (the Funimation compilation movie) was never translated and localized for Germany. I.e. you can only buy the US version of that, and that one as it's not rated is therefore considered equivalent to a mature 18+ rating by default.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #490 on: 21 October 2018, 00:30:10 »
On a side note regarding the discussion on mindless villainy earlier, today's Alicization had goblins. Goblin Slayer type goblins, with much the same behavior. Except they have motives and can speak.
In Goblin Slayer are a number of goblins that speak with humans. Goblin Lord is one (not yet seen in anime), and Goblin Slayer Side Story: Year One (prequel to Goblin Slayer) has another.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #491 on: 22 October 2018, 12:00:26 »
HuggTo Precure 36+37: SO many magical girls and callbacks...As a long time fan of the series, that was just tear inducing in how beautiful and well done it was. Lots of little callbacks, references, and little details done right. They even got all the 'Almost Cures' that never show up and tend to get ignored in the All Star movies. That was a nice 15th year franchise anniversary surprise.
All the Girls! All!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #492 on: 22 October 2018, 12:10:03 »
They should really go back to a rate of 0.5 girls per season again...  xp

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #493 on: 22 October 2018, 13:07:35 »
In anime club around here we have watched 3 series lately:

Space Dandy
Space scifi comedy about alien hunters hunting aliens (alive preferred) and girls (big boobies preferred). Pure comedy gold.

Death Parade
Main characters bring final judgement to those who have died. They do so by having the dead (2 at a time) competing with the games and observing their reactions. Here's the catch: at first the dead souls don't know they have died. Tasty cocktail of mystery, horror, comedy, action, and I don't know what next episode will be... kato called this isekai for whatever reason.

Mad Bull 34
Cop buddies in New York chasing the most dangerous criminals in the most dangerous area. Goes over the top, and does it with style. Warning: has blood, guts, and softcore sex. If Goblin Slayer is too much for you, then this isn't for you either.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2018, 13:13:49 by Matti »

kato

• Captain
« Reply #494 on: 22 October 2018, 13:23:58 »
kato called this isekai for whatever reason.
Death March, not Death Parade...

(also, this is why i use japanese titles)

kato

• Captain
« Reply #495 on: 22 October 2018, 13:35:38 »
I really enjoy how they were both like "We, could beat around the bush with this for another twenty episo- Screw it! I think I like you, wanna date?"  :smitten:
"If they did that there would be no movie." :D

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #496 on: 22 October 2018, 21:26:48 »
Death March, not Death Parade...

(also, this is why i use japanese titles)

Death Parade is not the same anime as Death March.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #497 on: 22 October 2018, 23:41:37 »
Death Parade is not the same anime as Death March.
Indeed, that's why i'm saying it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #498 on: 23 October 2018, 09:30:34 »
Goblin Slayer episode #3 delivers heavy info dump of world building and character characterization. Comparison to manga: very close, no cuts, and any differences in dialogue may be due different translators doing different translations. If the first episodes had been as faithful as this newest one, then this episode would be #4. I wish it were.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #499 on: 26 October 2018, 11:39:36 »
Uzamaid cosplay by professional wrestler Saiki Reika (or so they say). Lack of moe is disturbing in this one xp

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #500 on: 26 October 2018, 13:09:24 »
Goblin Slayer episode #3 delivers heavy info dump of world building and character characterization. Comparison to manga: very close, no cuts, and any differences in dialogue may be due different translators doing different translations. If the first episodes had been as faithful as this newest one, then this episode would be #4. I wish it were.
Heavy, and pretty bog standard world building. Oh look, a demon king and his army are threatening the world. How unique.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #501 on: 26 October 2018, 13:37:44 »
Heavy, and pretty bog standard world building. Oh look, a demon king and his army are threatening the world. How unique.
And hero of the show goes to challenge him and... No he don't. He just kill goblins. THAT is unique.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #502 on: 26 October 2018, 13:46:36 »
And hero of the show goes to challenge him and... No he don't. He just kill goblins. THAT is unique.
Point of the order, the setting has a HERO who is out to save the world from the Demon King....and she is not the Goblin Slayer whose story is centered around him. :P
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #503 on: 26 October 2018, 14:35:01 »
Point of the order, the setting has a HERO who is out to save the world from the Demon King....and she is not the Goblin Slayer whose story is centered around him. :P
Which I find a welcome change, to be honest.  Plenty of anime and video games where someone jumps at the call to choose from, so one where the protagonist rejects being the hero is nice. GS's reasons for not joining the fight against the Demon King are ones I can agree with.

Didn't see this earlier in the thread: Voice actor Tsujitani Kouji passed away on October 17 from a stroke.  You will be missed Bernie.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #504 on: 26 October 2018, 14:51:11 »
Which I find a welcome change, to be honest.  Plenty of anime and video games where someone jumps at the call to choose from, so one where the protagonist rejects being the hero is nice. GS's reasons for not joining the fight against the Demon King are ones I can agree with.

The problem is that refusing the call isn't by itself a good story.  GS may have an understandable reason for not wanting to fight the Demon King, but he's still an extremely flat character.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #505 on: 26 October 2018, 14:54:35 »
I have seen Goblin Slayer called PG (in this topic too). Why is it called that?

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #506 on: 26 October 2018, 15:30:47 »
The problem is that refusing the call isn't by itself a good story.  GS may have an understandable reason for not wanting to fight the Demon King, but he's still an extremely flat character.
Tell me about it. If he hadn't helmet on all the time, he would stare off into the distance. I know from manga that he will have some character development and gets more talkative over time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #507 on: 26 October 2018, 15:40:53 »
Watched The Boy and the Beast

I don't know why it's so highly rated: the plot is pretty derivative and the entire third act feels like it was tacked on because they realized they didn't have a full story.  Didn't seem to tie in to the actual plot anywhere near enough.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #508 on: 26 October 2018, 15:45:02 »
I have seen Goblin Slayer called PG (in this topic too). Why is it called that?

In the US we have a set of ratings that are used for television programs, as do many countries. This link should explain it fully:

http://www.tvguidelines.org/ratings.htm

GS was originally indicated as TV-PG.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #509 on: 27 October 2018, 00:18:44 »
In the US we have a set of ratings that are used for television programs, as do many countries.
I know that.

GS was originally indicated as TV-PG.
Where exactly? In Reddit?

Register