Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 196880 times)

Kidd

• Major
2S42 Lotos

Some of these naming conventions are so cute

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Back to the AMX-30 for a minute, anyone got good pictures of the interior, preferably the driver's compartment?  That's a shockingly hard thing to find with google, so far.

If you make a post on Armorama website (an armor modeling forum), you might get some good responses. There's a French guy that hangs out there that has a lot of resources for this sort of thing. I asked for pics of both the maintenance platform on the back of French M47s & photos of Ecuadorian AMX-13s, & he came through with them. Might be worth a try.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Seems the Iranian team is not having a good day in Tank Biathlon...  That's bad right?

http://is2.4chan.org/k/1565165404327.webm

Its a time race with a staggered start
Start with a Slalom
Then 3 main gun rounds at a tank target at 1600, 1700 and 1800 meters
Lap of the track
Pintle mounted hmg to shoot a helicopter target at 800-1000 meters
Lap of the track
Use coaxial machine gun to hit a man sized target at 600-800 meters.
Finale lap and finish

Crews must fully dismount before shooting and then load the ammo into the tank
Missing targets adds extra length to the lap after shooting.
Some sections of the course have black and white posts that if hit, have a stop for a 10 second penalty
All hatches must be closed for firing excluding HMG of course (some crews seem to forget this alot)
Crews do get a reserve tank in case of complete mechanical failure

On that last note, some of them need it.  There's been some pretty epic fails this year so far...

Several African nations running the tanks in high gear and getting stuck or destroying the engine
Myanmar crashing into a ditch
Iran burning their tank down after forgetting to reopen the air intake after a water crossing
Zimbabwe stopping an having an ambulance attend them (chat guessed a hand got pinched by an auto loader but nothing serious)
Zimbabwe some how opening the bottom hatch below the driver while traveling at 40 km/h
Sudan doing a reverse Iran and not closing the air intake covers and completely flooding a T-72
Cuba going one better than both and flooding their tank and then on the next lap with their reserve tank they flooded that one as well
And even better Sudan did the same thing in the same race all while dragging it out to 58 minutes (average time is 20 min, Russian and Chinese normally hit 17 mins)

And we all thought Girls und Panzer was a bad idea.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
No Kuwait tomfoolery this year?
Shoot first, laugh later.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
No Kuwait tomfoolery this year?
Their run was either last night or today, not sure which.  Haven't seen results yet.

https://youtu.be/mPyqsGp_bXE  Kuwaitis vs Tajikistan, starts at 1:25 in (the first set is Kyrgyzstan/blue, Iran/green, Russia/red, Armenia/yellow).  Kuwait is blue, Taji green, and...

1st Kuwait 0/5 hits 36:33
2nd Tajikistan 1/5 48:35

The rest of the results are attached, but all in Russian.  In order, by day, it's split crew 1 and then crew 2,  China/Belarus/Azerbaijian/Serbia, Russia/Kyrgyzstan/Armenia/Iran, Kazakhstan/Mongolia/Venezuela/Syria.  The Kuwait/Tajik results...pretty telling, in compare.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2019, 16:10:28 by ANS Kamas P81 »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Most expensive sport around? I mean, tanks ain't that cheap.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
I'm just amused the Russians debuted a couple all-female teams this year for demonstration (I think).  It just adds more weight to my theory Sergey Shoigu is a Girls und Panzer fan and thought it was a great idea.  Seriously, the TV anime aired from October 2012 to March 2013, and suddenly in August of 2013 the first four teams get together to try out an experimental competition...and then August 2014 it's officially named the 1st Tank Biathlon World Championship and opened to the world.

The Americans have the Sullivan Cup competition, but that's US only and covers a lot more than the Biathlon, which really is just an expensive sporting event.  But a darn cool one, and my Yukari spirit-animal loves it.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
I had never heard of Tank Biathlon before....now I'm wanting one of the U.S. sports networks to pick it up.  That's awesome!   ;D

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Most expensive sport around? I mean, tanks ain't that cheap.

It's only expensive if you do it wrong. If you do it right, it shouldn't be any different than a weekend field exercise with a bit of driving and a couple shots at the range.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
ESPN missed an opportunity to put this on the Ocho…  ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
And interrupt their lawn mower races?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

PsihoKekec

• Captain
With so many salvagable T-55 around the world they could have tank races.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
With so many salvagable T-55 around the world they could have tank races.
Can you imagine the wrecks at Talladega with NASTANK races?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That would be GLORIOUS!  :D

Charlie 6

• Captain
I've a Float Book with a picture of a CH-53 flying along the Talladega straightaway.  Not sure it would translate well to the internet...or this thread.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
If not here, the Aviation thread would DEMAND it's posting!  :thumbsup:

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJR6uga62q4

Hey look, Tank Waltz is a thing as well.  I mean, hey, talk about a way to get a platoon to really synchronize and trust each other, as well as push the finesse of the crews and machines.  I wonder how much practice they manage to get for that...

PsihoKekec

• Captain
Didn't they get oversized tophats and bowties for the waltzing tanks last year?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Idle question that comes across my brain.  If you're a enlisted reservist or National Guard tank crewman, just how much time (during your weekend/two weeks) do you really spend working on tanks versus an active soldier?  I know there's a lot of maintenance, cleaning, training time on the tanks and such, but there's also classroom time, doing non-tank training, and all kinds of 'other' work.  Considering how little time the reservist/NG spends (after their basic and advanced training, during duty) on the job compared to an active soldier, I'd imagine they'd have to spend most of their time actually working with the tank instead of all the other things.

Meanwhile, Chieftain's thoughts of Tankfest (to provide content!) part 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZeRHyiuWH8

Charlie 6

• Captain
If not here, the Aviation thread would DEMAND it's posting!  :thumbsup:
Took me a couple of days but here you go...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
LASER TANKS

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/08/10/army-awards-laser-weapon-system-contract/

I SAY AGAIN LASER TANKS

(Well, Strykers, and they're for AA work apparently, but still.)

LASER TANKS

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Charlie 6: Ultimate NASCAR indeed!  :thumbsup:

Laser tanks?  Cool, though the article made it sound like there already was one built by a different consortium...  ???

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
There's been some poking in that direction for a while, things like THELS and other systems like what's aboard USS Ponce, but this is the first 'combat land vehicle' to get a serious laser rig that I'm aware of. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Did the Israelis ever mount their laser on wheels?

PsihoKekec

• Captain
I remember that Soviets experimented with lasers on T-80 chassis before Soviet Union went bust. Prototype is in Kubinka.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2019, 00:11:53 by PsihoKekec »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I remember that Soviets experimented with lasers on T-80 chassis before Soviet Union went bust. Prototype is in Kubinka.
This thing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1K17_Szhatie

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
The Ontos reminds me of the Clan's Odin Scout Tank. Similar hull shape.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow

No, not the 20th century one with recoilless rifles.  The 29th century one with medium lasers.

C’mon, I’m not that old... ;-)

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Register