Author Topic: Buildings using scraps  (Read 1803 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Buildings using scraps
« on: 21 March 2018, 10:56:41 »
To make these . . . I used left over gift cards, cuttings from boxes being thrown in the trash, chunks of purple foam from making hills, and other bits.  I also used some of the little bits of hobby wood though its from large bags of the stuff and I did not buy it for this purpose.  The buildings are set on 1.75 inch hexes which is what my local group plays on using Hotmatz and Geohex.  I got to liking having that extra room for stacking or just to have things like trees in the hex without it being crowded.

This is half-way through making a factory, the two circular indentions will be where I put the pre-painted smokestacks.  I need to extend the building into the 3rd hex a bit more though it will be L1 instead of the rest of the building in the other five hexes (2x3) being L2.  Might need to see if I can find some John Deer toy pack to get a logo off it . . .

I am thinking about putting sandpaper on the gift cards which is someone one of the FB terrain groups I watch suggests to give it a different texture than the other parts of the factory.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Re: Buildings using scraps
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2018, 11:09:56 »
Next to our FLGS is a Dunkin' Donuts that I have gotten things to share a few times for weekend games . . .

I tried impressing cross-stitch cuttings on the front of the red shop before I painted but I did not match them up very well, next time I will just use the whole sheet of cross-stitch.  I have not painted or come up with a doors/windows yet, trying to decide if the blue I have is too dark.  The Dunkin Donuts sign is anchored across the top of the L2 side of the building, extends out and has a post securing it to the red building's roof.  The bit of orange you can see on the top is a ladder going from the L1 to the L2.  I am thinking of putting a painted bit of wood around the L2 roof that would be the same height as the bit backing the sign with a gap where the ladder is located.  The front portions of the hex that are not painted right now will be done as pavement with each side perhaps getting parking spaces.  Behind the building I will do green to backstop a very likely empty lot.  I am going to use the green clump foliage around front & sides edges to hide where I used the wrong glue & it melted the purple foam.  Also need to decide what other company is in the next building.

But over all- at least until i get windows & doors, I am pretty happy with this building . . . hmm, maybe I should do a drive thru window for the Donuts?

Different shot to give height vs mechs, but blurry-
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2018, 11:15:13 »
Final building, I am thinking of it being a old apartment building.  My wife has a friend who lives in something like this, three stories with the lowest half underground and a alcove entrance.  Its also red brick, lol.

Like the other it needs windows and the front door needs to be properly painted.  The rest of the hex will be a lawn with a small sidewalk or path leading from the door.  I may do a path and use a red or gray ballast.  I am also considering putting something on the roof in the center to be a skylight for the upper floor's hallway.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2018, 10:01:33 »
Updated & Additions-

The Dunkin Donuts

Apartment building

Not quite finished, need the gold skylight strip.

And new ones . . . trying for MOE'S here but there is not enough space on the sign so I might have to go to lower case to get it all on.  Also need to add windows, angled skylight and I am putting a wood hex next to it on that 1x2x1 base.

This will be a house with a deck in a single hex, I am going to try to make the sides where it is red ballast covered to make it look like its a stone house.  Sort of like a mountain cabin.  I need to hit some of the spots with black where the sandpaper cracked.
Colt Ward

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2018, 18:12:34 »
Well done.

Register