Author Topic: The Periphery Soundtrack  (Read 5905 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
The Periphery Soundtrack
« on: 04 July 2023, 17:43:39 »
This YouTube video just hit all the right notes for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxTyMVPaOXY

I'm sure others have other opinions... that's what the Periphery is all about!  Please post your links to any other mixes or tracks you think reflect the Periphery!  :)

And yes, I'm sure at least one of you will post a link to the March of Cambreadth, so I won't bother here...  ;)

Go For The Throat

• Warrant Officer
  • I would rather not be known as the underkill guy.
Re: The Periphery Soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2023, 06:33:45 »
That is an excellent compilation!

YMMV on other selections, but I think it would be criminal to not have the Firefly soundtrack as the next entry. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE143EDC8A1F02A6C
Victor Davion, proof that even with the technology available in the BattleTech Universe, it still takes 104 years to get rid of VD...
IlClan: Where Clan Tech is given, not earned.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2023, 06:57:53 »
I always assumed dueling banjos would be involved. ;)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2023, 10:00:10 »
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2023, 11:37:34 »
Something like these would be there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kT33murB3c
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2023, 12:15:30 »
I always assumed dueling banjos would be involved. ;)
Then how about this for the Taurian national anthem?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2023, 20:15:18 »
Then how about this for the Taurian national anthem?

Needs more spanish and french mix.

Also, thats what i love from the Periphery. You can add almost anything, mostly because you have people from all over the place trying to make a living.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2023, 04:45:02 »
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2023, 05:17:07 »
For the Marian Hegemony some covers  of some thousands of years old classics like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmcI9v3YGfg#  :D

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2023, 06:21:06 »
Well now...OP's offering reminds me of this video game soundtrack: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRMcXkadosW43B18ZSbYFqBnFn2myQwRw 

Though I might also think that this tabletop RPG's soundtrack fits how I think it feels to be in a non-great house/clan power: https://sanctorvm.bandcamp.com/album/sanctorvm-the-depth-original-game-soundtrack
« Last Edit: 10 July 2023, 16:44:27 by parable »
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2023, 17:44:04 »
Glad to see this thread garnering so much attention in my absence!  :thumbsup:

A tree branch severed our internet connection Saturday night, and Verizon couldn't get us a tech until today.  He was awesome, and had us back up in under an hour.  It's obviously taking me a bit more time to catch up on the forum, but I'll try to listen to everything posted so far by the end of the weekend!  :)

And yes, I'm totally listening to that original track now...  ^-^

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2023, 10:37:30 »
I figured The Periphery wasn't short on Bon Jovi and country music...  ;D

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2023, 17:05:54 »
Not in any way a slam on country music, but demographics-wise it seems more popular where things aren't all that bad but people have unspoken fears. The periphery either still has real problems or the values and numbers reported to us are way wrong.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2023, 18:17:16 »
You're missing the point. Country music's whole vibe is about the struggles of the rural/backwoods life (before it became about rich people pretending to be poor), which is the Periphery to a T. Don't overthink it beyond that.

And demographics-wise, country music does tend to have more fans among poorer, less-educated people, which is also pretty much the Periphery.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2023, 18:28:45 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2023, 18:49:07 »
Ok, got the Firefly soundtrack... heck, I own the whole series on DVD (yes, that's how old I am)... ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 11 July 2023, 18:54:01 »
Baldur Mekorig: THANK YOU for that track!  I heard it a few years ago and have been looking for it ever since!  :thumbsup:

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2023, 02:11:44 »
Not in any way a slam on country music, but demographics-wise it seems more popular where things aren't all that bad but people have unspoken fears. The periphery either still has real problems or the values and numbers reported to us are way wrong.

I think that we need to differentiate between genres of country/western/associated genres here.  Like, Western swing, sure, it's mostly innocuous, but there's also stuff like House of the Rising Sun (likely first recorded in Appalachia), which is about, well, becoming a prostitute to make ends meet.  Or most outlaw country...Steve Earle speaking about generational trauma and alcoholism on Copperhead Road, a large part of Johnny Cash's oeuvre (Folsom Prison Blues, Sam Hall, &etc.)... 

The origin of a lot of this sort of music is raw and real: it's just that as it's filtered down and evolved, it's lost some of that edge.  A more recent parallel would be hip-hop, especially gangsta rap.  It started as a down-to-the-roots movement, describing the actual life on the street, unvarnished, through poetry.  Then it got popular, glamorized, and basically became a gilt façade of what it started as...and then people started playing with it: taking it to 11 with horrorcore, or reinterpreting it through socially conscious lenses.  But now it's a discussable art form, without the bite it might've had originally.  Same thing happened with rock and roll, punk rock, metal, synthwave...industrial, black metal, and noise have mostly escaped such a fate, probably because musically they don't have the level of accessibility. 

Hope this isn't too real-world for the forum rules, but for the Periphery...I'd look up the Renegades, from Botswana.  African leather cowboy metal fandom.  Taking something that's generally foreign and making it their own, which makes them feel like truer fans than most (myself included).  I could see this happening out in the periphery, and it's beautiful.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2023, 23:25:41 »
In addition to Outlaw Country as a general kind of Periphery theme, Blue Grass would also work.  Mule Skinner Blues or Foggy Mountain Breakdown come to mind.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2023, 00:20:51 »
bouncing off this idea and my previous post--Gangstagrass, who among other things did the theme for the show Justified.  Gangsta bluegrass rap.  Banjo, fiddle, guitar, bluegrass vocals, but alongside a drum machine and 2 rappers.  I think the blending of styles helps represent the kind of cultural, religious, and racial smoothie the BT setting has going on.  Here's a track of theirs: https://youtu.be/L5-jDeb5AH8

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2023, 05:30:05 »
I love the variety of the tracks so far!  Keep 'em coming!  8)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #20 on: 24 July 2023, 02:58:35 »
The Highwayman by, well...  The Highwaymen (Waylon, Willie, Cash and Kristopherson)

Give it a listen and see what I mean, it has all the Periphery elements.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2023, 15:26:56 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #21 on: 24 July 2023, 04:36:57 »
Given Herb's excellent works, I think "Hotel California" should go on the list. The Nebula California's Deep Periphery, it totally counts.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2023, 17:30:08 »
TOTALLY! :D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 24 July 2023, 22:22:41 »
Given Herb's excellent works, I think "Hotel California" should go on the list. The Nebula California's Deep Periphery, it totally counts.

Why not the semi-official, fan-made version I posted up o'er here?

- Herb

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #24 on: 24 July 2023, 23:20:42 »
given the frequent use of campfire gatherings in the old periphery art, some of the guitar instrumentals from the Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series would probably be appropriate. they certainly capture the feel of the more remote and primitive/rundown parts.

Metro 2033 Main Theme
Metro 2033 OST Guitar Song 2
Metro Exodus [Dawn Of Hope] Guitar Solo
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - All Guitar Songs

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #25 on: 24 July 2023, 23:26:28 »
Bad Moon Risin' by CCR is also a good one.  Especially during the Jihad era.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 25 July 2023, 02:47:19 »
I like to think with over a thousand years time to develop, and a vast disporia across known space
there will be entirely new genres of music as new traditions evolve and old ones fuse. We could see stuff like country fuseing with mongolian throat singing etc the skies really the limit for oddities 
The Suns will shine again

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 25 July 2023, 03:07:16 »

For the Marian Hegemony, Legio Aeterna Victrix comes to mind (backstage Ben Hur 2016) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6HHs-oeCU

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #28 on: 25 July 2023, 03:27:30 »
I would like to point out that urban Taurians are opinionated, educated people who drink a bunch of coffee and canonically consume more print media than the entire Federated suns combined.

I feel like they'd reject any sountrack of any type as being too mainstream.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 25 July 2023, 04:01:42 »
I would like to point out that urban Taurians are opinionated, educated people who drink a bunch of coffee and canonically consume more print media than the entire Federated suns combined.

I feel like they'd reject any sountrack of any type as being too mainstream.

https://i.imgur.com/heVxD90.jpeg

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #30 on: 25 July 2023, 15:24:41 »
With great confidence I think that the Taurians would say "the Beatles suck!"
« Last Edit: 25 July 2023, 15:29:02 by rebs »

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 25 July 2023, 20:59:57 »

Raven Alliance: Top Gun OST

Magistracy of Canopus: J-Pop

Scorpion Empire: Narcocorridos

Taurian Concordat: Cajun Country

Tortuga Dominion: Sea Shanties

Oh and "Hotel California" by Gipsy Kings is probably Scorpion national anthem   :grin:

« Last Edit: 25 July 2023, 21:02:52 by Fire Scorpion IIC »

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #32 on: 25 July 2023, 21:38:04 »
Poison's "Nothin' But A Good Time" also strikes me as a Canopian song to add to the list.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 27 July 2023, 03:17:16 »
With great confidence I think that the Taurians would say "the Beatles suck!"

.... why?

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #34 on: 27 July 2023, 09:04:30 »
For the Marian Hegemony, Legio Aeterna Victrix comes to mind (backstage Ben Hur 2016) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6HHs-oeCU

And there the Fronc/Calderon Protectorade song, kinda feel the frontier style in it: https://youtu.be/gla6FVEnJcg

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #35 on: 27 July 2023, 12:03:25 »
It may not be the anthem but it is without question the national instrument of the Niops Association:

Flopotron 3.0-Final Countdown

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 27 July 2023, 18:38:35 »
That Ben Hur behind the scenes was AWESOME, but the Flopotron was NEXT LEVEL!  The ASCII banner over it made it PERFECT! ;D

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #37 on: 17 August 2023, 06:03:17 »
Sweet Home New Vandenberg

If we could attach videos, I would do a short 30 second rendition of me and my telecaster doing just the chorus live from my living room, lol....

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #38 on: 17 August 2023, 06:06:19 »
Sweet Home Rezak's Hole is missing a syllable, so it just wouldn't work.  But the thought was funny enough for me to post it lol.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #39 on: 01 September 2023, 21:06:24 »
Brotherhood of Randis is more like : https://youtu.be/YEROZsnSkjc?si=nVVnIRoVpSfF5G0i

Or

A secret society...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 02 September 2023, 04:43:36 »
Good one!  Here's another track I found with an interesting video of flying between planets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeVxrSf_dx4

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #41 on: 02 September 2023, 16:57:29 »
Here's a song for Nueva Castille

https://youtu.be/6zrwCjjUqs0?si=KT4CtInbIlNM-EHS

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 02 September 2023, 17:08:54 »
I think it fits... ;)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #43 on: 02 September 2023, 17:11:31 »
My girl and I are going to see a show billed as the Ultimate Doors tribute concert next Saturday, so it just popped into mind.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
    • My Facebook
« Reply #44 on: 03 September 2023, 11:19:07 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 03 September 2023, 11:55:04 »
That's a good one too! :)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #46 on: 30 October 2023, 23:54:28 »
Playing the ZarKhan's blues
« Last Edit: 30 October 2023, 23:56:12 by rebs »

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 12 November 2023, 04:53:35 »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #48 on: 12 November 2023, 20:10:12 »
it;s good music? :)

Was just riffin' on the mostly false idea that Taurians are edgelord hipsters.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 12 November 2023, 20:57:05 »
Edgelord hipsters aren't serious enough for "Viva la revolución!" ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 12 November 2023, 22:17:37 »
Must...

Reword...

Devil went down to Georgia to...

Davion went up to Taurian...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #51 on: 12 November 2023, 23:55:24 »
Davion went up to Taurian...
He was lookin' for a planet to steal
And he was in a bind
Cause he was way behind
And he was looking at war crime's appeal
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #52 on: 13 November 2023, 00:46:35 »
He was lookin' for a planet to steal
And he was in a bind
Cause he was way behind
And he was looking at war crime's appeal

Davion jumped up on a stump
and said
"I guess you didn't know it
But I'm a war criminal, too.
And if you care to take a dare
I'll toss some nukes at you!"
« Last Edit: 13 November 2023, 01:25:13 by rebs »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 13 November 2023, 00:56:35 »
Davion jumped up on a stump
and said
"I guess you didn't know it
But I'm a war criminal, too.
And if you care to take a dare
I'll toss some nukes at you too!"

The Taurian Concordant said our Protector of the Realm think it's a mighty sin
But we'll take your bet your Royal Regent
'Cause we're the best that ever been'

ComStar Choir :
Taurian Concordant raise up your fists high and play those cards right,
Cause Hell's broke loose in the Sphere, and Davion deals the cards,
And if you win, you get yourself some freedom made of gold
But if you lose, the Davion gets your soul

« Last Edit: 13 November 2023, 01:08:17 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 19 November 2023, 20:45:09 »
 :smilie_happy_clapping: :smilie_happy_clapping: :smilie_happy_clapping:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 19 November 2023, 20:55:26 »
:smilie_happy_clapping: :smilie_happy_clapping: :smilie_happy_clapping:

*freakin' [insert favorite faction flavor here] poster boy...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 19 November 2023, 21:35:33 »
Was just riffin' on the mostly false idea that Taurians are edgelord hipsters.

Honestly, the most pretentious urban Taurian probably sees themselves as a free thinker, philosopher, or a great statesman. Like a Thomas Jefferson or Simon Bolivar type. The original fluff went out of its way to draw comparisons to the "age of reason".

Ordinary Taurians probably prefer to play up the rugged independent frontiersman. Not for nothing the first three Taurian warship classes we were introduced to were named after a gun, a horse, and... well, a wagon wheel.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 20 November 2023, 00:52:07 »
By your analysis, Miss Chitty is a Taurian Space Cat?  :wink:

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 20 November 2023, 00:55:12 »
By your analysis, Miss Chitty is a Taurian Space Cat?  :wink:

TT

That... works pretty well.

Register