Author Topic: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise  (Read 202981 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise
« Reply #600 on: 29 March 2019, 12:16:18 »
That certainly does look like it!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #601 on: 29 March 2019, 12:21:49 »
One of the guys at work put this one up.

Absolutely amazing shot.
If the abov ship is USN then it s Pennsylvania class or later (not including Colorado or later classes) due it's two triple-gun turrets. The picture definitely has an interwar ook to it IMO.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2019, 12:25:56 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #602 on: 29 March 2019, 14:12:23 »
I found a site saying it's either Pennsylvania or Arizona.  I thought it was Arizona when I saw that pic,  but the Arizona crew pic I found looked more like the Michigan crew pic with the life ring.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #603 on: 29 March 2019, 14:35:34 »
Couldn't resist taking this picture while attending Carriercon2019 on CV12.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #604 on: 29 March 2019, 14:43:35 »
Which carrier?  The cape is funny, makes me think of the Jolly Rogs yet you have the Doolittle Raid bombers taking off.

Speaking of which, I am hitting my parent's storage this weekend.  I will have to see if I can find the newspaper we found when my grandmother died.  My mother and her sisters went through my grandparent's stuff, she was from a typical early 20th century farm family . . . youngest of 9 surviving children.  We found all sorts of things they had kept over the years that were interesting bits of history.  The one I remember was a newspaper that had been folded up and stored in a shoebox.  The paper discussed the success of the Doolittle raid and by how you can help make similar bombing sorties possible by walking instead of driving to save fuel!  Turn in your scrap and drive on old tired longer!  or something.  I think it had a stock picture of the carrier.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #605 on: 29 March 2019, 15:26:02 »
I found the picture in google and it claims that it is a Pennsylvania Class in 1918. There's one picture of the Arizona in the same style but the bridge looks different, with a huge clock  in the middle. My guess is that it is the USS Pennsylvania.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #606 on: 29 March 2019, 15:31:27 »
1918?  Then its a commissioning photo would be my guess.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #607 on: 30 March 2019, 05:01:07 »
I have seen that big clock before on pictures of WW1 era ships. What was that for?
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #608 on: 30 March 2019, 05:19:25 »
I have seen that big clock before on pictures of WW1 era ships. What was that for?

Given that it was before the age of the wrist watch being common property, I'm guessing it's so ships company can be on time for watch change.

Brass voice tubes don't work very well above decks, so they need some other mechanism to note the time to sailors on the uppers.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #609 on: 30 March 2019, 07:18:01 »
Azur Lane Hornet on board the USS Hornet.

Which carrier?  The cape is funny, makes me think of the Jolly Rogs yet you have the Doolittle Raid bombers taking off.

Speaking of which, I am hitting my parent's storage this weekend.  I will have to see if I can find the newspaper we found when my grandmother died.  My mother and her sisters went through my grandparent's stuff, she was from a typical early 20th century farm family . . . youngest of 9 surviving children.  We found all sorts of things they had kept over the years that were interesting bits of history.  The one I remember was a newspaper that had been folded up and stored in a shoebox.  The paper discussed the success of the Doolittle raid and by how you can help make similar bombing sorties possible by walking instead of driving to save fuel!  Turn in your scrap and drive on old tired longer!  or something.  I think it had a stock picture of the carrier.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #610 on: 30 March 2019, 07:44:12 »
Given that it was before the age of the wrist watch being common property, I'm guessing it's so ships company can be on time for watch change.

Brass voice tubes don't work very well above decks, so they need some other mechanism to note the time to sailors on the uppers.

It seems that it was very useful in the old days of battle lines. From reddit:

"Large dials resembling clock faces were added to the front of the fore mast, and to the rear of the main mast, trainable to 30 degrees off center. Once a ship found the range to the target, it would display the range on the dials, with one hand indicating thousands of yards + 10,000, and the other hundreds of yards. So if both hands were on the 1, the range to target was 11,100 yards. Hash marks, called bearing indicators, were painted on the main gun turrets, giving observers the angle to target. "

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3h1sdi/what_are_these_clocklike_dials_that_go_from_09_on/
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #611 on: 30 March 2019, 07:49:13 »
Ahh, range indicator for the gun crews, nice!

I keep forgetting that remote controlled guns are a relatively modern development.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #613 on: 03 April 2019, 20:49:21 »
Nice write up the the Brisbane.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #614 on: 03 April 2019, 22:13:47 »
Yep. I noticed that they had a photo of the single cabin (with a nicely turned down bed) but did not include a photo of the bunks.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #615 on: 04 April 2019, 05:11:25 »
Yep. I noticed that they had a photo of the single cabin (with a nicely turned down bed) but did not include a photo of the bunks.

It's a PR piece, you don't want to turn people off.

I was talking to a couple of the Army guys I work with today, they asked what it was like living in a mess, I told them it was weird at first, but after a while you come to like it. It still feels a little strange to be sleeping in a queen sized bed.

I think the move to single occupancy cabins and small messes may backfire though, if you didn't hate it, you loved living in larger messes. The move was meant to stimulate retention of personnel, but I think it may just alienate those who truly enjoy that lifestyle, and isolate everyone else.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #616 on: 04 April 2019, 07:46:51 »
It's a PR piece, you don't want to turn people off.

I was talking to a couple of the Army guys I work with today, they asked what it was like living in a mess, I told them it was weird at first, but after a while you come to like it. It still feels a little strange to be sleeping in a queen sized bed.

I think the move to single occupancy cabins and small messes may backfire though, if you didn't hate it, you loved living in larger messes. The move was meant to stimulate retention of personnel, but I think it may just alienate those who truly enjoy that lifestyle, and isolate everyone else.
Does "mess" mean a common sleeping area?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #617 on: 04 April 2019, 09:04:40 »
The mess is where the crew eats.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #618 on: 04 April 2019, 09:14:17 »
The mess is where the crew eats.
Nightlord talked about
So the eating area doubled as the berthing? I'm guessing there were a couple different facilities so you didn't have people eating lunch while the 3rd shift crew were trying to sleep.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #619 on: 04 April 2019, 09:52:07 »
If you're short on tents you make do, I guess.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #620 on: 04 April 2019, 11:00:48 »
We be needing more pictures.

Here the USS Joy Turner's sleeping quarters, which is sometimes referred to as cribs.
This very similar what i was sleeping in during my US Navy years in early 1990s.

« Last Edit: 04 April 2019, 20:28:40 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #621 on: 04 April 2019, 20:22:52 »
The Burkes have almost twice the crew the crew of the Brisbane for not much larger.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #622 on: 05 April 2019, 02:55:10 »
Does "mess" mean a common sleeping area?

In short, yes. Although it's descended from the RN, and thus sleeping spaces, recreational spaces and eating spaces are all called messes on RAN vessels, because very early sailing vessels used the same space for all three purposes, cafe has taken over from mess for the eating space in the last 20 odd years.

Army and Air Force, on the other hand, call only the eating spaces messes, leads to some confusion whenever they arrive on board.

To add fuel to the mix, on a shore base our eating spaces are called the mess, recreation spaces are called breakout rooms, common areas or bars. Blocks of cabins are called accommodation blocks and cabins, I suppose it can be a little confusing to the uninitiated, but you get used to it. If there's one thing the RAN isn't, it's consistent!

The Burkes have almost twice the crew the crew of the Brisbane for not much larger.

European designs always put more room into the crew spaces, their design philosophy calls for more comfortable crew quarters. RAN units also tend to be minimum manned, so we end up with a relatively small crew for a ship that size. Many long years ago now, I was on a 2550 ton River Class DE that had a crew of 270, now that was tight quarters! Although the 3370 ton Perth Class DDG had it beat, with a crew of 330.

So yeah, crew sizes are a bit relative. :)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #623 on: 05 April 2019, 03:15:03 »
Zumwalt must be near palatial, then, 16,000 tons for only 147 crew.  Then again, dividing that crew into an officer herd and three watches means you're manning the entire ship, supposedly, with perhaps fifty people in total.  That's gotta play merry hell on crew stress...

...though it might not be a consideration that much longer, I guess.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #624 on: 05 April 2019, 05:19:29 »
Zumwalt must be near palatial, then, 16,000 tons for only 147 crew.  Then again, dividing that crew into an officer herd and three watches means you're manning the entire ship, supposedly, with perhaps fifty people in total.  That's gotta play merry hell on crew stress...

...though it might not be a consideration that much longer, I guess.

The issue is that there is an irreducible amount of work that goes into running a warship, you need your bridge crew, engineering watchkeepers, Ops (CIC) crew, look outs, communicator, it's very difficult to run a ship with just 50 people, and a recipe for disaster. Mind you, we run the Anzacs with only 40 more, but many of those locations run a two watch system, rather than three. If you pare right back on those requirements, you could do it, but your people are going to exhaust very quickly.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #625 on: 05 April 2019, 09:24:31 »
Ahh, range indicator for the gun crews, nice!

I keep forgetting that remote controlled guns are a relatively modern development.
If I recall correctly, that clock was for the benefit of the OTHER battleships in the line. When they were still planned to operate in a line for Battles.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #626 on: 05 April 2019, 14:31:03 »
If I recall correctly, that clock was for the benefit of the OTHER battleships in the line. When they were still planned to operate in a line for Battles.

Bingo. One hand identified range to target, while the other was intended as a signaling system to other ships, at least in the Royal Navy (the Americans used range clocks as well, but had a different meaning to the hands, specifying range in thousand yard increments with one hand and hundreds with the other, so 8:40 meant the target was at either 8,400 or 18,400 yards, with fire control officers on the other ship being deemed smart enough to know the difference.) The turrets often showed markings as well, as seen below, helping identify which target the ship is aiming at in the enemy line.

For more: http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/Range_Dial
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #627 on: 06 April 2019, 05:00:35 »

Those bulges made the monitors...well in a word 'thicc'.

An Italian FREMM frigate the Carlo Bergamini

An artists impression of the Dreadnought class SSBN, the replacement for the Vanguard's.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #628 on: 06 April 2019, 11:28:08 »
Commemorative Zippo lighters from CV-12 Hornet

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #629 on: 06 April 2019, 16:43:08 »
The Dreadnought has 12 Misslle tubes, vs the 16 in the Vanguard. The new Columbia SSBN will have only 16 vs the 24 in the Ohios.