Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: BRZ-*3 Berserker  (Read 60570 times)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
Re: ’Mech of the Week: BRZ-*3 Berserker
« Reply #120 on: 01 May 2013, 12:37:26 »
I suppose, but what about TSM supposedly makes it so that once I have it I suddenly do? What's keeping me from just saying "hooray, I've got TSM, guess I'll save it for an inferno-rich day" and then simply running the 'Mech just as cool as I would if I didn't?

There's the whole BV thing I already mentioned in my last post, of course. But other than that?

Nothing forces you to use it, though I'd argue many of the canon designs that have TSM on them are also designed to make use of it and not just as a "oh, hey look I have this and just happen to have hit 9."

The 3T Defiance is one that you don't have to use the TSM and still be an effective 'Mech;  you just pay the extra BV for it.

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #121 on: 18 June 2013, 17:33:59 »
In reading all of what you all go through I am so happy my group can ignore BV and does not have to only play stock designs. We fight (RPG setting)what ever the GM throws at us including modified Zerks. The last one (two weeks ago) had two ERPPC one in each arm something like 9 ML, AMS, ECM, Beagle, TSM, and Armored components. He ditched the Axe and MASC for armored components. But he could not catch and kill anything. We surmised its great at killing 4/6 speed mech's and if it can catch you it can kill you. But it spent the night chasing a cagey Flashman it could not corner.

We also play on a large table 50x60 Geo-Hexes so there is either room to run and hide or flank depending on the set of the terrain.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2013, 12:56:31 by Tslammer »

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: 27 January 2014, 17:31:43 »
Added the latest variant to the write-up.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #123 on: 27 January 2014, 20:43:54 »
I haven't seen where you added the new materials.

As far I know, there only been one sighting of a Berserker during the Dark Age. That was on Aterus during Operation: Homecoming piloting by someone in the 1st Regulan Hussars in the novel, To Ride the Chimera.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Soutek

• Sergeant
« Reply #124 on: 27 January 2014, 22:48:36 »
Always liked the Berserker. I'm thinking about fishing one out of the salvage yards and painting it.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #125 on: 28 January 2014, 08:04:47 »
I haven't seen where you added the new materials.
Wrangler, it's the paragraph that begins "Sometime after the Jihad, Defiance revisited the Berserker and successfully..." It's from RS:3145 NTNU.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #126 on: 28 January 2014, 14:39:30 »
I'd love to see a berserker paint job that makes it look like a fire breathing dragon
« Last Edit: 28 January 2014, 14:41:23 by garhkal »
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #127 on: 17 February 2014, 03:33:05 »
and to add another voice to the Hatchet vs Kick debate ....

One thing I don't think I saw in this thread was comparing 'firing arcs'

* A Kick can hit a target in one of the three hexes in 'front' of the 'Mech (not counting Quads in this example)

* With Torso Twist, a Hatchet can hit a target in any of the six hexes around a 'Mech

Now, that may not seem like a important thing, and in game it may not stop people getting into to the rear of a Berserker with a lighter 'Mech and Kick to force a PSR (I have fond memories of having a Locust do that and knock over an Atlas  >:D),
but in-universe, there would be a BIG difference between getting behind an 100 ton Assault 'Mech and kicking when you know it has little chance of getting a physical attack on you vs getting behind a Berserker and watching it torso twist and swing a 7 ton Hatchet at you :o.

Then there is the fact that when trying to Kick you have to manoeuvre to get your target in your 'front' three hexes.  To use the Hatchet you just need to be next to your target  :).
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #128 on: 17 February 2014, 16:05:45 »
Plus with hatchets you can hit above you as well.

Mordegald

• Recruit
« Reply #129 on: 06 April 2014, 12:26:18 »
Never played a Berserker or gone up against one, but I'd still like to pick one up. It's just such a cool 'mech.

As for the hatchet, I like the weird square sideways one in the official art. The Harried Salaryman and his Briefcase of Perdition take no prisoners.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #130 on: 06 April 2014, 15:35:31 »
The Berzerker has always worked very well for me. Very good speed to close in on the enemy or to get out of harms way and descent range for a Melee mech.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #131 on: 06 April 2014, 15:59:14 »
Never played a Berserker or gone up against one, but I'd still like to pick one up. It's just such a cool 'mech.

As for the hatchet, I like the weird square sideways one in the official art. The Harried Salaryman and his Briefcase of Perdition take no prisoners.

It's worth it. But skip the miniature- or at least be ready to mod it. That axe is really disappointing, sorry to say.  :(
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #132 on: 06 April 2014, 18:07:58 »
It's worth it. But skip the miniature- or at least be ready to mod it. That axe is really disappointing, sorry to say.  :(
The looks the best in a running pose;

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #133 on: 06 April 2014, 20:31:20 »
Oh no argument- which means a lot of cutting and pinning in the legs to do. Since I'm terrible at that sort of thing, not much I can do about it.

And it still doesn't fix the axe. For seven tons, I want something that looks like a blade from hell- that hardly even looks like an axe. Compare it to the original artwork, and look at how small it is!

I've seen someone replace it with a GW axe from some Warhammer model or other, that looked pretty great- THAT I might be able to do myself, but cutting the legs up like on the two pics above is well beyond my abilities.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #134 on: 06 April 2014, 22:09:45 »
I'm terrible at modding my self and I fave yet to see one BT mini with a axe that looks as good as the artwork. Well, at least the axe isn't as bad as the claws on the pillager #P

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #135 on: 07 April 2014, 15:29:24 »
Oh no argument- which means a lot of cutting and pinning in the legs to do. Since I'm terrible at that sort of thing, not much I can do about it.

And it still doesn't fix the axe. For seven tons, I want something that looks like a blade from hell- that hardly even looks like an axe. Compare it to the original artwork, and look at how small it is!

I've seen someone replace it with a GW axe from some Warhammer model or other, that looked pretty great- THAT I might be able to do myself, but cutting the legs up like on the two pics above is well beyond my abilities.
Chicken. Seriously though, the best practice is to just go out and do it. If you screw it up, well suddenly your "running" pose turns to a "badly damaged and running for home" pose. And if you screw up really badly it just ends up as the wreckage decorating the base of another mech. You just gotta take some chances.

For the legs & arms, you might be able to get away with slowly bending each joint. You might not get as dramatic a pose as cutting and pinning, but you could get a walking pose instead of merely standing. Or you could get a trotting post out of a walking one, depending on the sculpt of the particular mini.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #136 on: 07 April 2014, 20:05:20 »
Chicken. Seriously though, the best practice is to just go out and do it. If you screw it up, well suddenly your "running" pose turns to a "badly damaged and running for home" pose. And if you screw up really badly it just ends up as the wreckage decorating the base of another mech. You just gotta take some chances.

For the legs & arms, you might be able to get away with slowly bending each joint. You might not get as dramatic a pose as cutting and pinning, but you could get a walking pose instead of merely standing. Or you could get a trotting post out of a walking one, depending on the sculpt of the particular mini.

With respect, money is tight enough right now that if I'm going to drop money on a miniature, it had better be a good one- if it's something that I stand as much chance of ruining as I do of painting halfway decent, I'm better off spending my money on something else.

(This from someone who's last miniature purchase was at Christmas... a Clint. Of all things.  ???)

+Crow T. Robot+

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 28 November 2017, 00:51:09 »
The C3 really needed to have a left hand.

"Why?" you ask.  Other than my perpetual eye-twitch at the mechs that omit lower arm and hand actuators for no good reason, I direct your attention to the A Time of War Companion, page 69, and the Zweihander SPA. 

So that's a 20 point hatchet attack, doubled for TSM, plus 2 points for every ten tons of attacker...  When I punch those numbers into my calculator...  What that heck?  My calculator just jumped up and ran away!
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #138 on: 28 November 2017, 04:16:05 »

Re-done 'zerker you say? :D

Done by Matt Plog, this is a take on the C3 but used in Solaris.  My issue with the Zerker, and its the only one, is its look. The fluff says DI spent many many monies on designing the Berzerker to look scary and imposing.  It looks like it was designed by Apple, lots of smooth, rounded edges and sweeping curves which work to make it look oddly elegant for a 100 ton machine who's whole purpose is to get close and go "IMMA PUNCH YOU WITH MY AXE!!!!"  That one looks a bit more bitey, less Apple and more "I WILL BITE YOUR TORSO!"
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #139 on: 28 November 2017, 05:58:11 »

Done by Matt Plog, this is a take on the C3 but used in Solaris.  My issue with the Zerker, and its the only one, is its look. The fluff says DI spent many many monies on designing the Berzerker to look scary and imposing.  It looks like it was designed by Apple, lots of smooth, rounded edges and sweeping curves which work to make it look oddly elegant for a 100 ton machine who's whole purpose is to get close and go "IMMA PUNCH YOU WITH MY AXE!!!!"  That one looks a bit more bitey, less Apple and more "I WILL BITE YOUR TORSO!"

AGREED!  The original art for the 'Zerker was bland, almost soothing!  The 3055u art, but interior and cover are better, but you're description of it being an Apple product is great.  There should be nothing soothing about 100 tons of flame belching, hatchet swinging metal, bounding across the battlefield at 90 kph!
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #140 on: 28 November 2017, 06:56:28 »
As pretty it looks, it doesn't look like Berserker to me.  Looks like slim Atlas wearing a American Wild West bandit bandana over it's mouth to mug people with the Ax.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 28 November 2017, 11:07:31 »
Yeah, the face is a little too 'atlas' for me...but the LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE looks great!

I will admit, the shoulder pads give me a mutant league vibe, but in my book that isn't a bad thing.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #142 on: 28 November 2017, 11:30:17 »
You definately want to shorten the left arm at the very least.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #143 on: 28 November 2017, 23:22:20 »

One of those rare times Plog's work doesn't sit well with me. It just smacks of trying too hard, i suppose Plog didn't like the old design either.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #144 on: 28 November 2017, 23:25:23 »
It was actually my fault :p  I had the idea for the armour additions, and saw this as a ride of a Solaris Gladiator who put on a lot of cosmetic stuff to make his 'zerker look mean and unique :) Its actually loosely based on one of the warrior armour tiers from Warcraft :p  So blame me, not him :D
« Last Edit: 28 November 2017, 23:30:31 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #145 on: 29 November 2017, 01:22:14 »
That Berserker pic makes it look like he's armored via heavy armor..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #146 on: 29 November 2017, 03:13:44 »
Berserker has one of the coolest illustrations:
"Intimidating Paint Job"
 >:D

I have a Berserker mini painted up to look like that card.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #147 on: 29 November 2017, 06:37:51 »
Rather like that version more, it has more Berserker (be scared) thing going for it.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #148 on: 29 November 2017, 12:52:49 »
I swear I saw a re-do of this mech that had flaming liquid dripping from the flamer which looked really cool. However, I can’t seem to find it anywhere, so I may not be remembering correctly. I want to say it was another take on the Plog design above.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #149 on: 29 November 2017, 13:12:22 »
Are you sure you're not thinking of the artwork in TRO 3055 Upgrade?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman