Author Topic: What happened to the Stormhammers?  (Read 3881 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
What happened to the Stormhammers?
« on: 21 January 2022, 23:38:11 »
Now, I know the basics: they eventually became part of the LCAF.  But do we know which unit(s) specifically?  Were they spread out all over the place?  Kept intact but renamed?  Destroyed at some point?  FM3145 mentions that they were combined with the 1st Steiner Strikers for a time.  But the Strikers are right there in the Lyran part of the book.  The Stormhammers seem to have vanished by then.  What gives?  Am I looking right past something?

(I could ask a similar question for the Swordsworn, but with the release of Tamar Rising I’m more interested in the LC right now.)
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: What happened to the Stormhammers?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2022, 00:48:47 »
You're on the money there. They existed as a part of the LCAF for several years, but suffered severe losses to the Wolf Empire during their invasion of the Lyran Commonwealth. Following that, the survivors were folded into the 1st Steiner Strikers.

Jasek Kelswa-Steiner was promoted to the rank of Hauptmann-General, and given command of the Donegal Province. He was killed by the Jade Falcons on Coventry in 3148.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2022, 10:51:36 »
A shame too. It might have been interesting to build whole regiments around these units rather than see them getting destroyed. Same with the Swordsworn.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2022, 12:01:27 »
The GDL and White Witches have come back and with so many former Republic forces going merc all you need is the right leader and the Stormhammers could be resurrected again.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2022, 15:59:58 »
A shame too. It might have been interesting to build whole regiments around these units rather than see them getting destroyed. Same with the Swordsworn.

Swordsworn regiments were folded into existing AFFS structure . . . I want to say they became DLC regiments, whatever the fiction is where Aaron Sandoval dies on Tikonov gives the details.

The GDL and White Witches have come back and with so many former Republic forces going merc all you need is the right leader and the Stormhammers could be resurrected again.

I liked the Stormhammer paint scheme . . . what is interesting in Tamar Rising is that a Kelswa cousin is called Lady but there is no indication she was even closely related to the Kelswa-Steiners- so how far back?  did Calamity just make a wrong assumption?

Heck, I am still waiting to hear where Alexia Wolf ended up with Jasek's lovechild in tow.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2022, 16:14:11 »
Swordsworn regiments were folded into existing AFFS structure . . . I want to say they became DLC regiments, whatever the fiction is where Aaron Sandoval dies on Tikonov gives the details.

I liked the Stormhammer paint scheme . . . what is interesting in Tamar Rising is that a Kelswa cousin is called Lady but there is no indication she was even closely related to the Kelswa-Steiners- so how far back?  did Calamity just make a wrong assumption?

Heck, I am still waiting to hear where Alexia Wolf ended up with Jasek's lovechild in tow.

generally speaking it seems to be the convention in the Inner Sphere to refer to an individual of the same house (ie surname) as a cousin. this convention goes back as far as the battletech animated series at LEAST when Melissa and Adam refer to each other as Cousins
The Suns will shine again

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2022, 17:01:37 »
Well, Kelswa-Steiners existed for at least 3 generations by this point- Jasek, Gregory, FCCW Kelswa-Steiner's name I forget, and whatever Kelswa from Tamar that the Robert married in the 3050s . . . who knows how far between that Kelswa heir and the current person's ancestor.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2022, 17:14:23 »
Well, Kelswa-Steiners existed for at least 3 generations by this point- Jasek, Gregory, FCCW Kelswa-Steiner's name I forget, and whatever Kelswa from Tamar that the Robert married in the 3050s . . . who knows how far between that Kelswa heir and the current person's ancestor.

there's at least 5 generations between adam and melissa steiner, yet they refered to each other as cousin

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2022, 17:46:04 »
Yeah, technically I had at least 4 in there because I remembered one but never went and back edited.  It maybe a LC or at most a FedCom thing . . . because Trillian was told to go talk to her 'cousin' Caleb . . . Victor referred to Anastasius as a cousin too I think.

But afaik, the Mariks did not AFAIK and with the Liaos/Allard-Liaos the family references seemed more to be laced with venom.
Colt Ward

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2022, 18:54:28 »
Might just be a kind of honorific among the nobility. I've often stumbled over European kings and emperors of the 18th and 19th referring to each other as "brothers" in directly adressed letters (e.g. Emperor Napoleon III. adressing King Wilhelm after the Battle of Sedan 1870).
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2022, 17:39:16 »

Sorry, but where does it mention that the Swordsworn become DLC? Did I miss that somewhere (possible!)? I haven't seen anything that indicates the Deneb Light Cavalry were ever reformed? I think at least one Swordsworn officer ended up in charge of the FedSuns Lancers brigade according to FM 3145, but no indication thats where the rest went....

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2022, 17:43:04 »
I told you, it is in either the FM or ER 3145 intro fiction.  If it is not about Tikonov, switch books.  I could be wrong, and it was not the DLC but they replaced several regiments that had been struck from the rolls.
Colt Ward

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2022, 17:50:04 »
Might just be a kind of honorific among the nobility. I've often stumbled over European kings and emperors of the 18th and 19th referring to each other as "brothers" in directly adressed letters (e.g. Emperor Napoleon III. adressing King Wilhelm after the Battle of Sedan 1870).

Apparently Grandees of Spain address the King as cousin as well.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2022, 20:37:46 »
I told you, it is in either the FM or ER 3145 intro fiction.  If it is not about Tikonov, switch books.  I could be wrong, and it was not the DLC but they replaced several regiments that had been struck from the rolls.

Thanks I'll go look, dont think I have ER 3145, but now I have to get it! :D

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2022, 01:11:45 »
Sorry, but where does it mention that the Swordsworn become DLC? Did I miss that somewhere (possible!)? I haven't seen anything that indicates the Deneb Light Cavalry were ever reformed? I think at least one Swordsworn officer ended up in charge of the FedSuns Lancers brigade according to FM 3145, but no indication thats where the rest went....

DLC was not reformed, Swordsworn became 3d and 4th FS Lancers one of them got wiped out on Tikonov.
Shoot first, laugh later.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2022, 01:57:39 »
DLC was not reformed, Swordsworn became 3d and 4th FS Lancers one of them got wiped out on Tikonov.

"Hey fedsuns here's a new regiment, now let us wipe it out"

*sighs*

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 03 February 2022, 08:19:54 »

I think not all Swordsworn formed those regiments some were also sprinkled through other regiments filling up the glaring holes in the rosters.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 03 February 2022, 10:31:08 »
Basically if you followed the individuals, at least the first two of the Swordsworn regiments formed those Lancer regiments while maybe the greenies filled other slots.  But by the time Aaron went over to the FS officially, he had more than 3 regiments really.  He brought in at least one combined arms regiment alone by negotiations with . . . Duke Bradford? that was the added force of a couple worlds.
Colt Ward

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 03 February 2022, 12:00:43 »
My FedSuns Lancers. The Dark Age is and was so cruel to them.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2022, 17:50:05 by Stormlion1 »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 03 February 2022, 14:21:38 »
Were the Swordsworn rolled into the existing 3rd and 4th Lancers?  Because the Lancers brigade had been expanded in the early 3130s, and there's a BattleCorps story set in 3141, Folly's Children, that features a battalion of the 4th Lancers, where they're portrayed as being normal AFFS regulars, and in fact looking down on the Robinsons Strikers as provincial yokels, which seems like an odd attitude to take if they were all Swordsworn just before (and you'd think there'd be some reference to them being freshly absorbed).
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2022, 12:44:13 »
By 3141 Aaron had led his folks into the FedSuns- consider the Fortress went up in what, 3135?  3136?  Plus the Swordsworn were a lot of former-RAF military like Aaron, and I imagine what happened after they joined was you had some AFFS regulars transfer in to shore up their organizational weaknesses.

Heck, what would have been the AFFS academy feeding Aaron's commands?
Colt Ward

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2022, 17:52:53 »
The Swordsworn troops were probably replacement troops to fill in gaps in the various FedSun Lancer units. I could also see the FedSun High Command bringing in the troops and there gear and then after a few years discharging them but keeping the gear. I mean the various factions like the Swordsworn or the Stormhammers were essentially a pirate faction a few years previously.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2022, 18:45:19 »
The Swordsworn troops were probably replacement troops to fill in gaps in the various FedSun Lancer units. I could also see the FedSun High Command bringing in the troops and there gear and then after a few years discharging them but keeping the gear. I mean the various factions like the Swordsworn or the Stormhammers were essentially a pirate faction a few years previously.
The Stormhammers were more likely a Lyran intelligence operation. This was strongly hinted at in their faction card. Ultimately the Lyran Commonwealth would face blowback for this operation, as the Republic's defenders were out of position and understrength when the Jade Falcons invaded. Furthermore, the Stormhammers lost precious troops, and gear attacking the planet of Towne (INN Comstar was located there on the Wizkids website, and they had details on the battle). The fall of Skye was a very bad thing for the Lyran Commonwealth.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2022, 18:47:12 by Minemech »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2022, 19:09:36 »
Stormhammer's first regiment was pretty much staffed by Lyran covert operatives along with some of Jasek's loyalist.  The Vet and Green regiment not so much, I mean Alexia Wolf- a Warden Wolf who either failed her initial Trial of Position or was a freebirth and unlikely to get a good slot- was the Green regiment's CO and she brought some Kell Hound and Warden Wolf cast offs with her.  With their own gear apparently.  After the last battle for Skye that the Steel Wolves & Anastasia were involved in, Alexia left Jasek and her command to follow Anastasia . . . question of if her other followers did too.  I mean, one was a veteran mechwarrior piloting a Kit Fox.  His odds of surviving against the Jade Falcons . . .
Colt Ward