Author Topic: 2013 Gencon exclusive  (Read 32098 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: 2013 Gencon exclusive
« Reply #120 on: 06 June 2013, 07:31:06 »
I like it.  Makes the Atlas 2 look anorexic.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 06 June 2013, 08:28:37 »
Wow. I have always rather disliked that look for the Atlas, but now...
...It's kind of... cool.

CURSE YOU DAVID WHITE! Curse you for making me reconsider the aesthetic of yet another Battlemech design.  ;D

I'm still not quite sure about the hand-held RAC though.

Back on topic: I doubt the convention exclusive will have anything to do with the new TROs. Presumably, stuff from those will make it into general distribution as time and schedule allow, although I suppose a repeat of the super-heavy treatment from last year is a possibility.
« Last Edit: 06 June 2013, 08:30:46 by klarg1 »

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: 06 June 2013, 11:30:43 »
the DA atlases look infinitely better IMO, they look absolutely fantastic, and i think the Atlas III will make a nice chunky mini
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #123 on: 06 June 2013, 16:26:07 »

Is it just me or does the head (sorta) reminds me of Casey Jones' mask from Ninja Turtles (any of them).

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #124 on: 06 June 2013, 16:44:05 »
They don't call it the Hockey Mask Atlas for nothin.    :D
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #125 on: 06 June 2013, 17:47:53 »
They don't call it the Hockey Mask Atlas for nothin.    :D

Yeah, I see it  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #126 on: 07 June 2013, 09:15:40 »

Yeah, I see it  ;D

You know, I can see it more like Dan Blackburn after his injury....hrmm.

I may have a painting idea for the first time in forever!
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #127 on: 09 June 2013, 19:12:17 »
Its long past time the Atlas III had a sculpt. We've had a general idea that the Hockey Mask Atlas was out there, and the Atlas III is just the natural outcome of that.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #128 on: 09 June 2013, 19:46:05 »
Its long past time the Atlas III had a sculpt.

What? A couple weeks?

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 09 June 2013, 20:44:55 »

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #130 on: 09 June 2013, 20:47:56 »
i call for the GenCon exclusive to be 3D printed!  O0 Also a 3D printed Atlas 3 would be the greatest thing ever to happen to this game.  ^-^

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #131 on: 09 June 2013, 22:08:34 »
Years.

Sorry, 3145FS has not been out that long.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #132 on: 09 June 2013, 22:37:55 »
Sorry, 3145FS has not been out that long.

I know. I`m not talking about 3145FS.
http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=VG085

Raven Alliance

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #133 on: 09 June 2013, 23:08:38 »
I know. I`m not talking about 3145FS.
http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=VG085

There are plenty of 'Mechs and other units made for MW:DA/AoD that haven't been made in pewter. My contention is that without the TRO, there would not be the demand for the Atlas III now. Therefore, people have only been clamoring for it within the past two weeks or so, not the years since it's release in the MW game. It is a cool looking 'Mech, and one of only a handful of MW pieces I have. The tricky part is that without canon BT stats, DA-era minis haven't really taken off. Something like the Tundra Wolf should be iconic to Wolf forces, but it was archived before it made it to a TRO. Unlike the Targe, the TW is a solid mini and a pretty wicked design. And yet the sales didn't happen. In my subjective observation, not having the BT context in place prior to the release of a mini has pretty seriously hindered acceptance of DA-era designs when miniatures have been made for them. I also don't recall seeing any solid demand for the Atlas III prior to the release of the image included in the TRO; perhaps you could point out where such strong and repeated demand has been shown?

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #134 on: 09 June 2013, 23:23:51 »
There are plenty of 'Mechs and other units made for MW:DA/AoD that haven't been made in pewter. My contention is that without the TRO, there would not be the demand for the Atlas III now. Therefore, people have only been clamoring for it within the past two weeks or so, not the years since it's release in the MW game. It is a cool looking 'Mech, and one of only a handful of MW pieces I have. The tricky part is that without canon BT stats, DA-era minis haven't really taken off. Something like the Tundra Wolf should be iconic to Wolf forces, but it was archived before it made it to a TRO. Unlike the Targe, the TW is a solid mini and a pretty wicked design. And yet the sales didn't happen. In my subjective observation, not having the BT context in place prior to the release of a mini has pretty seriously hindered acceptance of DA-era designs when miniatures have been made for them. I also don't recall seeing any solid demand for the Atlas III prior to the release of the image included in the TRO; perhaps you could point out where such strong and repeated demand has been shown?

I can't really speak to anything that you're saying because I honestly know next to nothing about the sales of minis, but it's not really relevant to what Stormlion was saying.

Based on what you wrote though, we can assume that the Atlas III will not be the Gencon exclusive.
« Last Edit: 09 June 2013, 23:27:08 by ShockaTime »

Raven Alliance

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #135 on: 10 June 2013, 07:05:09 »
I wonder if the 7k2 (3085) Atlas will come out as mini.  It could come with optional "masks" since the head seems to differ from source to source.  Personally the ER:3145 seems to having the winning appearance to the Machine.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #136 on: 10 June 2013, 08:44:26 »
I can't really speak to anything that you're saying because I honestly know next to nothing about the sales of minis, but it's not really relevant to what Stormlion was saying.

I guess that if all you're claiming is that the two of you are saying "I want that in pewter", then no, there is no counter argument to be made. It's a fine sentiment. That's not what I got from your posts.

Based on what you wrote though, we can assume that the Atlas III will not be the Gencon exclusive.

Then you've missed the point of what I wrote. I argued that without a TRO entry or other published material, DA-era minis don't appear to do very well. The Atlas III clearly does now have that. Draw your own conclusions.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 10 June 2013, 08:51:17 »
I guess that if all you're claiming is that the two of you are saying "I want that in pewter", then no, there is no counter argument to be made. It's a fine sentiment. That's not what I got from your posts.

I wasn't saying anything other than we have had the design of the Atlas III (without the numeric III behind it) for a lot longer than 3145FS, so when Stormlion said:
Its long past time the Atlas III had a sculpt.

It's a lot more reasonable than you seemed to make it out to be. That's basically it, I'm not sure what else you could have gleaned from my very short responses.

Then you've missed the point of what I wrote. I argued that without a TRO entry or other published material, DA-era minis don't appear to do very well. The Atlas III clearly does now have that. Draw your own conclusions.

More of a tongue in cheek comment than anything meaningful.

Raven Alliance

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #138 on: 10 June 2013, 10:46:55 »
It's a lot more reasonable than you seemed to make it out to be.

Depends on your criteria. To me, it's a suggestion that IWM should follow the same path that has produced miniatures that have quickly fallen below the sales threshold to archive them. Sales numbers, and the profit or loss IWM might see is a valid criteria, IMO. But, that's the POV I'm using. Yours may be different and therefore you may come to different conclusions.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #139 on: 10 June 2013, 11:11:57 »
Depends on your criteria. To me, it's a suggestion that IWM should follow the same path that has produced miniatures that have quickly fallen below the sales threshold to archive them. Sales numbers, and the profit or loss IWM might see is a valid criteria, IMO. But, that's the POV I'm using. Yours may be different and therefore you may come to different conclusions.

Psycho, this has been about the length of time that the design has been out, it has never been about sales. You are the one who introduced sales as a 'criteria'. I think it's important to consider sales, but I (maybe Stormlion can, I don't know) speak to that issue which is why I only ever addressed the time factor.

And to clarify, this is neither my POV nor my criteria. All I was trying to say at the outset of this discussion before it snowballed is that the Atlas III has been around for years.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2013, 11:16:26 by ShockaTime »

Raven Alliance

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #140 on: 10 June 2013, 12:04:08 »
Psycho, this has been about the length of time that the design has been out, it has never been about sales. You are the one who introduced sales as a 'criteria'. I think it's important to consider sales, but I (maybe Stormlion can, I don't know) speak to that issue which is why I only ever addressed the time factor.

And to clarify, this is neither my POV nor my criteria. All I was trying to say at the outset of this discussion before it snowballed is that the Atlas III has been around for years.
Did IWM's make this version of the Atlas?  I can't imagine what they'd be calling it since the "Atlas III" name is new for all i know.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 10 June 2013, 13:10:45 »
Did IWM's make this version of the Atlas?  I can't imagine what they'd be calling it since the "Atlas III" name is new for all i know.

No, it was just called the Atlas.

Raven Alliance

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #142 on: 10 June 2013, 13:24:05 »
Amusingly, by this standard posted here (that it's been years since we should have had the Atlas III since it was in the Dark Age game), it would still be in line behind sculpting the Agromech.

For some reason, this has me literally laughing to the point that I scared my cat.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #143 on: 10 June 2013, 13:39:08 »
No, it was just called the Atlas.
Hmm, wasn't able to find it on Iron Wind's web store. I take it not listed anymore or in weird location?

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: 10 June 2013, 13:46:48 »
Hmm, wasn't able to find it on Iron Wind's web store. I take it not listed anymore or in weird location?

It's not yet produced by IWM. It's an old sculpt from the Mechwarrior game by Wizkids.

Raven Alliance

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #145 on: 10 June 2013, 13:55:04 »
It's not yet produced by IWM. It's an old sculpt from the Mechwarrior game by Wizkids.
OH.  I thought you had meant they had come out with one in the past.  Like the Shrike & Shiro, they came out before the stats did from IWM.

I have one those Atlas at home. Hmm,  AOD MWDA mechs had actual variant designations on them....ugh. Their variant numbers are non-sense.  One of the Davion Atlas IIIs has AS7-D-A as it variant.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #146 on: 10 June 2013, 14:45:38 »
Yeah, I see it  ;D
That's the notable pilot for the Avalanche silly.

Amusingly, by this standard posted here (that it's been years since we should have had the Atlas III since it was in the Dark Age game), it would still be in line behind sculpting the Agromech.
Huh, I thought for sure we had one of those, but http://ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_255 none to be found.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #147 on: 10 June 2013, 15:43:34 »
And that will be the new Con exclusive. The AgroMech, the last WorkMech to be done.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #148 on: 10 June 2013, 16:37:15 »

I've been told what it is, but all I'll say is that it's something "Super".  :D

They only told you about one of them?

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major