Author Topic: Tactics for employing LAMs?  (Read 1040 times)

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
Tactics for employing LAMs?
« on: 13 April 2020, 21:05:07 »
Now that the LAM rules are stable, I'm curious about what the best tactics might be for employing them.  Has anyone taken them into the field a few times?  What works and what doesn't work?  I have a soft spot in my heart for the goofy things and I'd like to give them a try sometime, but I don't know where to begin.

(In case it isn't obvious, not interested in an "are LAMs stupid" thread.)

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
Re: Tactics for employing LAMs?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2020, 21:59:24 »
The very first thing I will say as a huge LAM fan and someone who uses them frequently: be patient. The movement rules can be unforgiving to LAMs so don't sacrifice your movement modifier just so you can attack every turn. Attack when you have the advantage. This doesn't mean you have to have won initiative, just be sure when you do commit that you're moving for best modifier on a target that's vulnerable (low defensive modifier, can't shoot back, really thin/breached armor).

Second, know that LAMs perform best in campaign setups. It has been said to death because it is true: LAMs are a strategic tool. If you can plunk a single Wasp LAM down on a supply depot being defended by a company of plain-Jane rifle infantry, then that's where that Wasp LAM belongs. There are a whole host of things that go into using LAMs in a campaign setting, forking attacks, recon sorties, strategic maneuvering, etc., etc.

Third, if you are using LAMs in a one-off scenario, don't expect them to punch at their weight. Heck, don't necessarily expect them to punch. Use them to corral the enemy by threatening backshots, or as spotters for indirect fire, or go to fighter mode to make the enemy waste units pointing at the sky instead of at the ground. There are a ton of things LAMs are great for but shooting at stuff isn't really their forte.

Fourth, LAMs are most fun for both sides in scenario based games. While it can be great fun for everyone to just smash 'mechs together for an evening LAMs high hit mods and low firepower don't tend to accentuate this. But an extraction or smash-and-grab scenario? That's where LAMs can be fun for all. That scenario I mentioned with the Wasp LAM against the PBI above? That was one I actually played and it was great. The PBI weren't trying to kill my LAM, their objective was to get away with a very specific VIP that I didn't know was there. My objective, of course, was to blow up supplies. Once I realized there was something even more valuable there then I had to decide if risking the PBIs was worth it. (FYI I took the gamble early on and lost the scenario.)

As for specific tactics: If you're going to use airmech mode, I always recommend ending a LAMs movememt pointed directly at an enemy, ideally in the rear arc. Makes them weigh carefully just how badly they want that annoying thing off the field and if it's worth a potentially devastating charge against their own unit.

Also, always try to give the enemy someone else to shoot at. LAMs just aren't that hard to kill so if the enemy has to decide on swatting at that Stinger LAM or getting started on the Warhammer over there your Stinger might be able to indirectly use the Wammy's armour for a turn.

To be courteous to your opponent please try to plot out your LAM movement ahead of time. The turn mode rules are a bit combersome as they are based on how many MP you're spending but you have to know where you're able to turn to know how many MP you're spending. It's little fun for anyone to spend twenty minutes trying to juggle the math on that so cutting down on your opponent's perception of that can help the game be more enjoyable.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2020, 22:11:47 »

Also start in fighter mode, bombs away, then convert.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2020, 09:14:04 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2020, 23:48:24 »
LAMs are definitely not meant for slugging matches.  The rule of "move or die" is even more prevalent for LAMs.

In the one-shot scenarios and pick-up games, they are ideal for going after any onboarding artillery pieces with little to no protection.  They also work great as a distraction unit especially if theres a P.hawk or Shadowhawk LAM present as they can pack enough weaponry to give people concern about back shots.

As Syzyx mentioned, LAMs work best in a campaign setting where they can act as a great recon unit as well.  Logistically they do complicate things a little bit as you now have to carry spare avionics parts, LAM conversion gear and fuel for them; but the coolness factor alone outweighs anything bad about LAMs.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2020, 00:49:03 »
Also, if jumping LAMS around to get that large mods, KEEP TRACK of your heat.  Yea, it may be good to alpha strike once, but the heat you'll accumulate will burn your movement next round..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2020, 01:18:34 »
LAms are actually a little bit easier to use in Alpha Strike, where airmech mode is basically just straight Wing in Ground effect movement. the abstraction of the damage and durability also offsets some of their fragility.

i actually wrote a bit of a tactica for use of LAMs in Alpha Strike a part of my "Alpha Strike unit of the Week" article on the Wasp LAM. Of course i also wrote a guide to killing the things.

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2020, 11:46:11 »
Thanks, this is all really helpful.  I agree that LAMs rock in Alpha Strike; that's where I've used them previously.  Seems like a more complicated situation in TW.

I wonder if their combat effectiveness could be greatly increased with pulse lasers and targeting computers?  Wouldn't be hard to customize a P-Hawk LAM with such equipment...

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2020, 14:38:00 »
That and AS never incorporated the last round of changes to LAMs for IO, so they're not "as bad" as BT LAMs.  (both projects were happening at same time, and we didn't get the last rounds of edits for IO LAMs until after AS went to print, and I've not bothered to errata them).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2020, 22:46:14 »
Never use them if you can avoid it to fill a Mech or Aerospace fighter role, because well they punch way below their weight.

Use them to recon for you, snatch and grab raids, hostile extraction of a VIP spy, or as a mobile raider force in your enemy "safe area". 

other then that I agree with most what Syzyx said above.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"