Author Topic: What movies/tv are we watching part XXX, Back into the fray!  (Read 21961 times)

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
Re: What movies/tv are we watching part XXX, Back into the fray!
« Reply #510 on: 21 April 2024, 13:43:59 »
Watching Fallout on Prime.  I never played the video game, show isn't bad.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #511 on: 21 April 2024, 14:32:20 »
Or a 20 or 30 foot tall robot is supposed to transform into an actual size boom box/tape deck that is able to be picked up and carried by a normal human teenager.

Ruger

OR a cassette shifting into a 8ft tall/14ft long or so, cougar/jaguar (Ravage).
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #512 on: 21 April 2024, 19:37:22 »
My wife and I got all caught up on the new Shogun miniseries. It has been very good: characters, pacing, action and acting are quite good.

I think it is, overall, better than the first miniseries back in 1980; the only thing I truly miss is John Rhys-Davies. His portrayal of Vasco Rodrigues was really good.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #513 on: 22 April 2024, 06:09:51 »
The Panzermuseum
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #514 on: 22 April 2024, 06:45:50 »
My wife and I got all caught up on the new Shogun miniseries. It has been very good: characters, pacing, action and acting are quite good.

I think it is, overall, better than the first miniseries back in 1980; the only thing I truly miss is John Rhys-Davies. His portrayal of Vasco Rodrigues was really good.

I really hope they release both as a paired dvd set, or at least release them as separate sets.

I’ve been really enjoying the new version, but it’s been decades since I last watched the 1980 version, and I hardly remember but bits and pieces of it.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #515 on: 23 April 2024, 06:06:40 »
Fira and flame tv
Nightwish - Nemo

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #516 on: 23 April 2024, 08:03:07 »
Ken Burns Documentaries
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #517 on: 23 April 2024, 13:02:09 »
Looking forward to the final episode of Shogun tonight with the wife.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #518 on: 23 April 2024, 21:01:32 »
Netflix: Dahmer - Monster the Jeffrey Dahmer story. Creepy good.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #519 on: 23 April 2024, 22:31:59 »
Looking forward to the final episode of Shogun tonight with the wife.

i pooed the scrooch and forgot about it, till it was maybe 10 minutes left...   RATS.  Guess i need to wait till it hits dvd, and do it a re=watch.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #520 on: 24 April 2024, 01:53:10 »
MotU:Revolution was fun but weirdly short.
Now we're on Shōgun. Interesting.

Reading the thread I got so happy that there are other people excited about G1/G2 Transformers (which reminds me I still have to add Starscream and Optimus Masterpieces to my collection (I've already got Megatron and Soundwave with Ravage, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Frenzy, Rumble and Ratbat :cheesy: ))
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #521 on: 24 April 2024, 06:13:21 »
Cant pay well talke it away
Nightwish - Nemo

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #522 on: 24 April 2024, 12:36:57 »
I've already got Megatron and Soundwave with Ravage, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Frenzy, Rumble and Ratbat :cheesy: ))

OF the decpticon cassets, i loved Ravage, ratbat and Rumble.  i also had Slugfest and Overkill from the G1 collection (see here)
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Decepticon_Mini-Cassette

For the autobots i had Ramhorn and steel jaw..

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #523 on: 24 April 2024, 13:44:16 »
had soundwave and cassettes he came with back in 1985...had it confiscated by a teacher until i transformed him
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #524 on: 24 April 2024, 15:06:07 »
I remember one of my classmates getting in trouble when they brought Megatron to school.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #525 on: 24 April 2024, 15:43:26 »
I remember one of my classmates getting in trouble when they brought Megatron to school.
yah all fun and games until you try robbing 7 11 with one
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #526 on: 24 April 2024, 22:36:49 »
The only transformer i took to school, was Jazz..  THOUGHT to take ultra-magnus, but thought against it..

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #527 on: 25 April 2024, 04:15:01 »
The Town
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #528 on: 25 April 2024, 04:42:32 »
I've been asked to bring MP-36 Megatron to work (mine has never even had the "this is a toy" cap on either the normal barrel or the extended barrel  so maybe I would have to carry him in his robot form to avoid accidental confusion :laugh:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #529 on: 25 April 2024, 05:41:51 »
Space Balls (1987). Indpired to watch it from a RPG campaign we sre doing. Oddly enough, i had never watched it. Some funny gags, but not one of the best movies of Mel Brooks.

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #530 on: 25 April 2024, 06:11:43 »
Bad lads army
Nightwish - Nemo

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #531 on: 25 April 2024, 12:12:58 »
The Stranger (2023) Aussie movie about an undercover cop trying to gather evidence against a possible child murderer. I was expecting a pulse pounding procedural, but I got instead was a slow as heck buddy movie. Theres some really long scenes where nothing happens. Everything is muted and shot in long shadows. Boring. Rating 4/10

I watched about 3 episodes of The Gentlemen before I gave up. If youve seen one Guy Ritchie show youve seen them all. The whole thing was moderately predictable in which somebody always screws up or there was some kind of reversal to their schemes so the episode could be prolonged. Even the plot was lifted off that Matthew McCaunaghey movie.

Now I've switched to Shogun, and its drawing me in. First episode is intriguing, very different from the Richard Chamberlain version.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #532 on: 25 April 2024, 13:22:15 »
The Stranger (2023) Aussie movie about an undercover cop trying to gather evidence against a possible child murderer. I was expecting a pulse pounding procedural, but I got instead was a slow as heck buddy movie. Theres some really long scenes where nothing happens. Everything is muted and shot in long shadows. Boring. Rating 4/10

I watched about 3 episodes of The Gentlemen before I gave up. If youve seen one Guy Ritchie show youve seen them all. The whole thing was moderately predictable in which somebody always screws up or there was some kind of reversal to their schemes so the episode could be prolonged. Even the plot was lifted off that Matthew McCaunaghey movie.

Now I've switched to Shogun, and its drawing me in. First episode is intriguing, very different from the Richard Chamberlain version.
chambarlain was a classics made into coloring for kids version still it kept the core of the book
speaking of chambrlain loved his version f count of monte cristo 1975....and tony curtis adds that special spice

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #533 on: 25 April 2024, 17:05:09 »
Welp… a little over a month later, I’ve finished with the final season of The Expanse. My only regret is that I didn’t find the show sooner. I’m clearly going to have to track down the books to take care of the dangling plots, but it sounds like most fans of the series suggest starting from the first books

OF the decpticon cassets, i loved Ravage, ratbat and Rumble.  i also had Slugfest and Overkill from the G1 collection (see here)

I’m only missing Ratbat, Slugfest, and Overkill to be G1 cartoon complete. I really need to track them down via ebay one of these days.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #534 on: 25 April 2024, 19:37:17 »
there are two stores that i know of that may help if you are in or near nj
hobby collectibles comics and toys...one is in sayrville nj and other one is in milltown nj
hit me up on pm if you need more info

i still miss last wind up toys nyc on bleeckers in village the guy that ran it was a master at finding rare and hard to find obscure things and toys....
also are you looking for originals or re issues? i recall about 2 years back walmart had them

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #535 on: 25 April 2024, 23:52:44 »
Welp… a little over a month later, I’ve finished with the final season of The Expanse. My only regret is that I didn’t find the show sooner. I’m clearly going to have to track down the books to take care of the dangling plots, but it sounds like most fans of the series suggest starting from the first books

Glad you liked it.  OF the main characters, who was your fave?

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #536 on: 26 April 2024, 06:07:00 »
The tank chats
Nightwish - Nemo

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #537 on: 26 April 2024, 06:37:28 »
chambarlain was a classics made into coloring for kids version still it kept the core of the book
speaking of chambrlain loved his version f count of monte cristo 1975....and tony curtis adds that special spice
Well the first Shogun adaptation was designed to be an introduction to Japanese history since most of the audience back then didnt know much about it. This new version has Toranaga as the main character, whereas Blackthorn was the main POV in the original.

Also, this new Blackthorn is more opportunistic and cynical. Chamberlain played him as honest and noble, though somewhat naive.

I agree that Chamberlain's Monte Critso was the best adaptation so far, but I beg to differ on Tony Curtis, his hammy style was the worst part of an otherwise exceptional show. 

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #538 on: 26 April 2024, 18:13:09 »
there are two stores that i know of that may help if you are in or near nj
hobby collectibles comics and toys...one is in sayrville nj and other one is in milltown nj
hit me up on pm if you need more info

i still miss last wind up toys nyc on bleeckers in village the guy that ran it was a master at finding rare and hard to find obscure things and toys....
also are you looking for originals or re issues? i recall about 2 years back walmart had them

I may just take you up on that offer if I strike out online, thanks!

Original vs Reissue never bothered me. The bulk of my collection is originals, but there are also a fair number of the early 00’s reissues. My Soundwave, Buzzsaw, Squalktalk, and Beastbox are all original to G1. Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy, and Laserbeak are the recent WalMart reissues. Currently on the fence about the new toon colors version.

Glad you liked it.  OF the main characters, who was your fave?

I think it has to be Miller. It was a great character and Thomas Jane really sold the part. I also really enjoyed Bobbie’s arc.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #539 on: 26 April 2024, 19:34:28 »

Oh yeah. Those were the days.

Now, you can have a Megatron that is programmable (on an app on your smartphone) and self-transformable between robot and main battle tank mode, and can talk.

All for the low, low price of some $900.

But at least you won’t be mistaken for carrying a real weapon.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Register