Author Topic: Battle of Hamel - Lest we forget  (Read 1033 times)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Battle of Hamel - Lest we forget
« on: 04 July 2018, 06:08:01 »
One hundred years ago today, five infantry brigades from the Australian Imperial Force, augmented by 10 companies from  American Expeditionary Force and supported by British tanks successfully attacked and defeated entrenched German positions in and around the town of Le Hamel, in northern France, during World War I.

The attack was planned and commanded by Lieutenant General John Monash, commander of the Australian Corps who employed a "combined arms" approach, with tanks assigned to support the attack, along with large numbers of aircraft and artillery. Monash was an engineer by profession before becoming a military officer and was known for his meticulous planning. In planning the Battle of Hamel he had planned for the battle to last 90 minutes. The Allies won the battle in 93 minutes. Troops later recounted that one of the most extraordinary things about the Battle of Hamel was not the use of armoured tanks, nor the tremendous success of the operation, but the fact that in the midst of battle Monash had arranged delivery of hot meals up to the front line.

"I hate the business of war and soldiering with a loathing that I cannot describe. The awful horror. The death and destruction. My only consolation has been I'm doing my duty for my country."  - John Monash

So next time you are playing a game of Battletech and you or your opponent uses a combined arms force, you have Monash to thank.

Lest we forget.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
Re: Battle of Hamel - Lest we forget
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2018, 06:44:57 »
Lest we forget.

VhenRa

• Captain
Re: Battle of Hamel - Lest we forget
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2018, 05:26:15 »
As a Kiwi, he is one of the generals I most respect from WWI.

Lest we forget.